365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Survival of the fittest

+11
Dave Wolfe
Dave P
Nick Morris
Tom H
mountandog
Mark B
nkrichards
Michele "1L" Keane
Jim Lentz
Alex Kubacki
Schuey
15 posters

Page 15 of 20 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 20  Next

Go down

Survival of the fittest - Page 15 Empty Re: Survival of the fittest

Post  Mark B Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:09 pm

Nice job on the 10K, and I can imagine you grinding your teeth a bit looking at your HR and grudgingly deciding to walk it down a bit. It was the right thing to do, though. Save the supreme efforts for when you know you're back 100%

Sounds like a challenging course. Which race was it?

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:54 pm

Good work on the 10K, Nancy. 

So, how has your attitude or maybe expectation changed on your running today versus back in June when you were the high flyer compared to your therapy treadmill buddies?

Now, what running distance is old hat?
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:10 pm

Mark B wrote:Nice job on the 10K, and I can imagine you grinding your teeth a bit looking at your HR and grudgingly deciding to walk it down a bit. It was the right thing to do, though. Save the supreme efforts for when you know you're back 100%

Sounds like a challenging course. Which race was it?

This is just a small local race.  It's actually the third in a series of 4 races.  Cinco de Mayo, 4th of July, Octoberfest, Turkey Trot.  They adjust your 3 best times based on age and gender and announce the series winners each year.  I placed 2nd the last two years...it pays to be old and female. Smile  Couldn't do enough races to compete in the series this year.

I'm enjoying getting back out there and everyone is very encouraging...but it is frustrating.  I'm trying hard to behave myself.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:21 pm

ounce wrote:Good work on the 10K, Nancy. 

So, how has your attitude or maybe expectation changed on your running today versus back in June when you were the high flyer compared to your therapy treadmill buddies?

Now, what running distance is old hat?

Thanks Doug.  Yes, I went from being the high flyer in rehab to bringing up the rear didn't I.  First time my daughter-in-laws have ever beaten me!  It will just be that much sweeter when I'm able to beat them again won't it!

I'm struggling to accept my limitations but happy to be back out there participating.  I am seeing improvement...slowly.  I hadn't run farther than 4 or 5 miles prior to the 10K so I was actually pretty pleased that I didn't have to walk more than I did.  I'm running a lot of 4 mile runs and need to start pushing myself to go a bit farther during training.

Since I struggle with comparing my old and new times I'm thinking that maybe I need to try some new things.  Maybe cross country skiing.  Maybe an open water swim.   Maybe a new triathlon. 

I'm enjoying the classes that I'm taking as part of the cardio challenge.  It was boot camp tonight.  I've never done so many push ups in my life.  The high intensity water aerobics is a blast.  The spin class is quite challenging.  We jump off our bikes and do lunges or squats or pushups or something several times during the hour.  The variety is quite challenging for me.  I've also been doing my regular core/strength work the past couple weeks.  I can already see an improvement and I'm sure that will help my running in the end.

Off to bed...I have a big day tomorrow.  Details in the next post.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:14 pm

You can't compare times, Nancy.  I've spent years trying to convince myself of that which is why I look at things like PRs at different distances or in the last 5 yrs, etc.  You just need a frame of reference i.e. PRs post April 2015 and go from there - it will make you much wiser and less stressed.  After all, you killed your daughter-in-laws when you age grade your time which is also something that I do that makes me feel better.  My Cbus time age graded in like a 3:03 marathon - yup, what I exactly ran when I was the age graded "age".
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:36 pm

Getting back to your old speeds and distances would be great, but it sounds like you're actually having a good time experimenting with other types of workouts. So just keep having fun! It'll all work out.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:44 am

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:You can't compare times, Nancy.  I've spent years trying to convince myself of that which is why I look at things like PRs at different distances or in the last 5 yrs, etc.  You just need a frame of reference i.e. PRs post April 2015 and go from there - it will make you much wiser and less stressed.  After all, you killed your daughter-in-laws when you age grade your time which is also something that I do that makes me feel better.  My Cbus time age graded in like a 3:03 marathon - yup, what I exactly ran when I was the age graded "age".

Yes Michele, I know these things in my mind but living them is a real struggle.  My doctor smiled...I believe he called in cognitive dissonance (?).  When we think one thing and do another.  He said in most cases he sees people who know they need to exercise and don't. 

It's good that we're doing some traveling this winter so I'll be forced to give myself some additional time to heal.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:53 am

Mark B wrote:Getting back to your old speeds and distances would be great, but it sounds like you're actually having a good time experimenting with other types of workouts. So just keep having fun! It'll all work out.

I am enjoying being back out there even if it is frustrating at times...and I'm also looking forward to some new things.  Life goes on.

So...the promised update on my activities on Saturday...

7.5 miles on the Willow Creek Trail.  I joined the group run down to the café at the lake.  They planned to leave at 7:00 and to make sure I wasn't tempted to try to keep up I took off at 6:40.  In the dark...first headlamp run.  I walked the rough spots in the trail.  The guys caught up with me about 2 miles from the end.  The gals caught me about 1 1/2 miles from the end.  I sped up a bit and they slowed a bit and we finished together.  I did a much better job keeping my heart rate where it belonged.  It was a beautiful run and we all enjoyed breakfast before driving back up the hill.  It was fun to catch up with everyone.  They have all been very encouraging.

Only bad news is my knee has been a bit sore since my Appalachian Trail hike and it got worse after boot camp on Friday.  Didn't hurt during the run on Saturday but it's pretty sore today.  I've been working pretty hard on the cardio challenge so a couple days off may be in order.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:06 am

Knee responded well to a day off and a bit of Advil.  I've noticed that to many hours in the tractor is hard on it though.

Still doing lots of the cardio challenge stuff and loving it.  It's turned into quite a social event.

I did have an aha (not sure how you spell that) moment this weekend.  I realized that yes I still tire easily but it's a different sort of tired now.  It's an oh yeah I just did a long run tired not an oops I overdid it again tired.  Not sure how/if I can explain it but the first few months if I did to much it really wiped me out.  Now it's more of a normal tired...  I think that's progress!
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:34 pm

Managed to fit in 4 miles on Wednesday and 5 miles today.  These cardio challenge classes are quite challenging!  I was pooped last night so I ran the 5 miles pretty slow this morning...more like a recovery run.  Boot camp tonight and then a well deserved rest this weekend.  We have some family stuff going on and they are predicting rain. cheers
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:06 pm

nkrichards wrote:Knee responded well to a day off and a bit of Advil.  I've noticed that to many hours in the tractor is hard on it though.

Still doing lots of the cardio challenge stuff and loving it.  It's turned into quite a social event.

I did have an aha (not sure how you spell that) moment this weekend.  I realized that yes I still tire easily but it's a different sort of tired now.  It's an oh yeah I just did a long run tired not an oops I overdid it again tired.  Not sure how/if I can explain it but the first few months if I did to much it really wiped me out.  Now it's more of a normal tired...  I think that's progress!
Agree.  Seems like the bulk of the structural repair has been done.  Approval
nkrichards wrote:Managed to fit in 4 miles on Wednesday and 5 miles today.  These cardio challenge classes are quite challenging!  I was pooped last night so I ran the 5 miles pretty slow this morning...more like a recovery run.  Boot camp tonight and then a well deserved rest this weekend.  We have some family stuff going on and they are predicting rain. cheers
Have a good one!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:07 am

Glad the knee is bouncing back. That trail run sounded very nice, though navigating trails with a headlamp sounds a little tricky. I still haven't tried that one yet.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:23 am

Thanks for stopping in Doug and Mark.

Not much to report.  Still attending the cardio challenge classes and I think I'm seeing some nice improvement in my core and overall fitness.

Due to a scheduling issue I ran Monday and then again on Tuesday.  First back to back running days since Boston.  I could definitely feel it in my legs this morning but nothing to terrible.  I've been trying to extend my runs a bit...not a lot...so I've slowed down slightly.  I do tend to get impatient but I'm trying to convince myself that a solid base is more important than a few faster miles.

I'm headed to Dallas, Texas on Friday morning to spend the weekend with a friend.  I'm hoping we can find some active things to do while we visit.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:13 am

Great visit to the great state of Texas.  I spent a long weekend with a friend I haven't seen in over 5 years.  I snuck in a 5 mile run one afternoon and we did a fair bit of walking but it was mostly just catching up and talking into the wee hours of the night.  I had a really good time.

Kept my cardio minutes up by walking...including during my airport waits.  Back into the routine today.  Lap swim followed by a spin class and then a walk with the grandkids.  Tomorrow will be core work, a run and then the evening high intensity water aerobics. 

Somehow I need to figure out how to get my work caught up as well...  I'm way behind on my office chores but we're finishing up most of the tractor work.  It's that time of year.  The mornings have been in the mid 20s and we're lucky to see 50 during the day.  I actually enjoy running in those temps as long as it's not to windy or rainy.  We got a bit of rain in the last few days but not enough to make much difference.  The mountains have a light dusting of snow but I sure hope we get dumped on this year!
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:56 pm

Last week of the cardio challenge.  I'm still enjoying it but I'll admit I'm ready for a rest.  I've discovered that there are lots of options for organized classes in town.  Not sure if I'll take advantage of that opportunity moving forward but I have learned a lot and I think I have the strongest core I've had in years!

Just learned that we got our swim coach back.  Masters swim starts back up on Wednesday.  I'll only get to go to one or two sessions before we head overseas but it will be there when I return.

AND they are organizing a Tuesday track workout.  It starts tonight...in the WIND...we'll see who turns up.  Max King is allowing us to use his workout and Maura, a local lady that runs with him, is coaching us.  I think it's a great opportunity.  I'll be there even if I'm not ready to participate fully.  Dr. Beckerman said go for it but listen to my body.

I've got a huge list of chores to do before we head overseas at the end of the month...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:20 am

Sounds like things are going great for you, Nancy. Training with Max? What a treat! (The wind, not so much.)

We got obliterated today, with rain and wind. Hoping that the wet stuff makes it over the hill to you. It's too warm to build snowpack, but I think the temperatures are supposed to drop back down again.

I bet you have a LOT of chores, just to get everything squared away and winterized. Big change coming.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:38 pm

So Mark, in order to prevent Nancy's blog to get repossessed, we need to do a few posts.

I was thinking of a reverse tic-tac-toe game.  The 9 slots are filled in.  So you copy the preceding game and replace one of the filled in emoticons with your selection and I will do likewise.

confused confused confused 
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:39 pm

ounce wrote:So Mark, in order to prevent Nancy's blog to get repossessed, we need to do a few posts.

I was thinking of a reverse tic-tac-toe game.  The 9 slots are filled in.  So you copy the preceding game and replace one of the filled in emoticons with your selection and I will do likewise.

I'll move first.

confused confused bounce

your move.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:28 pm

ounce wrote:
ounce wrote:So Mark, in order to prevent Nancy's blog to get repossessed, we need to do a few posts.

I'll move first.

confused confused bounce

your move.

confused confused bounce
confused Suspect confused

back to you.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:22 pm

Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:

I'll move first.

confused confused bounce

your move.

confused confused bounce

back to you.
confused confused bounce
bounce Suspect confused

Time for sports.  Biff?
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:16 pm

ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:

I'll move first.

confused confused bounce

your move.

confused confused bounce

back to you.
confused confused bounce
bounce Suspect confused

Time for sports.  Biff?

confused confused bounce
bounce Suspect confused

Your move. WHERE IS NANCY?!?

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:45 pm

Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:

I'll move first.

confused confused bounce

your move.

confused confused bounce

back to you.
confused confused bounce
bounce Suspect confused

Time for sports.  Biff?

confused confused bounce
bounce Suspect confused

confused bounce bounce
bounce Suspect confused

Next.  SHE'S TRACTORING IN THE RAIN.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:09 pm

ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:

I'll move first.

confused confused bounce

your move.

confused confused bounce

back to you.
confused confused bounce
bounce Suspect confused

Time for sports.  Biff?

confused confused bounce
bounce Suspect confused

confused bounce bounce
bounce Suspect confused

Fluff might win this one... cat

Suspect bounce bounce
bounce Suspect confused

She may be sinking in the mud at this point. This is a flipping' monsoon.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:14 pm

Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:

I'll move first.

confused confused bounce

your move.

confused confused bounce

back to you.
confused confused bounce
bounce Suspect confused

Time for sports.  Biff?

confused confused bounce
bounce Suspect confused

confused bounce bounce
bounce Suspect confused

Fluff might win this one...  cat

Suspect bounce bounce
bounce Suspect confused

Like Houston back in the Spring.  It was very nice for the Texas coast that El Nino lessens the development of hurricanes, since we were waterlogged before hurricane season started (June 1).  Houses and apartments down here are usually on a slab foundation with a gumbo soil that expands and contracts, so after a lot of rain, one finds out where the weak spots in the foundation are.

Suspect bounce bounce
bounce Suspect confused
confused Suspect bounce

No water in this game, so Fluff is not interested.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:28 pm

ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:

I'll move first.

confused confused bounce

your move.

confused confused bounce

back to you.
confused confused bounce
bounce Suspect confused

Time for sports.  Biff?

confused confused bounce
bounce Suspect confused

confused bounce bounce
bounce Suspect confused

Fluff might win this one...  cat

Suspect bounce bounce
bounce Suspect confused

Like Houston back in the Spring.  It was very nice for the Texas coast that El Nino lessens the development of hurricanes, since we were waterlogged before hurricane season started (June 1).  Houses and apartments down here are usually on a slab foundation with a gumbo soil that expands and contracts, so after a lot of rain, one finds out where the weak spots in the foundation are.

Suspect bounce bounce
bounce Suspect confused
confused Suspect bounce

No water in this game, so Fluff is not interested.

Suspect bounce bounce
bounce Suspect Suspect
confused Suspect bounce

Well, we've had plenty of water around here lately. And a big freeway-blocking mudslide (with no alternate route) AND a (probably F0) tornado that ripped through a town in our county today. Fencing companies will be getting a little extra $$$ for Christmas this year.

Last edited by Mark B on Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:07 am; edited 1 time in total

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 15 of 20 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 20  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum