365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Everything You Need to Know About Running In the Cold

5 posters

Go down

Everything You Need to Know About Running In the Cold Empty Everything You Need to Know About Running In the Cold

Post  Nick Morris Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:04 pm

I figured this article was appropriate for today...at least for most of us.

http://gizmodo.com/5978216/everything-you-need-to-know-about-running-in-the-cold
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Everything You Need to Know About Running In the Cold Empty Re: Everything You Need to Know About Running In the Cold

Post  ounce Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:07 pm

So I have a question or 2 about wool.  How cold would it have to be (or cold and windy) would you wear wool?  And I presume a wool shirt would probably be the 2nd layer, over a shirt?  I'm thinking scratchy wool against the skin.

Are there thin wool socks?  thanks.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Everything You Need to Know About Running In the Cold Empty Re: Everything You Need to Know About Running In the Cold

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:16 pm

I'd take 34F and raining right now instead of -1F.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:16 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:I'd take 34F and raining right now instead of -1F.

Approval
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:18 pm

I know I can skip it ...
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:28 pm

Nick Morris wrote: 

Approval

Nope. A -1°F is a stunt run, and you can stay relatively dry and warm, with the right gear. A 34° rainy run? Hypothermia city, no matter the gear. And because it's so much more common, nobody in their right mind would run it just to say they did it.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:33 pm

ounce wrote:So I have a question or 2 about wool.  How cold would it have to be (or cold and windy) would you wear wool?  And I presume a wool shirt would probably be the 2nd layer, over a shirt?  I'm thinking scratchy wool against the skin.

Oh, that's right. Texas boy.

You need to acquaint yourself with Smartwool. It's soft, warm and comfortable.

I have Smartwool socks, and they're fabulous for when it gets really cold. I suspect their tops would be just as good.

Nike makes a nice un-scratchy wool top (click here), and SportHill makes wonderful cold-weather tops (click here) that use synthetics that wick and still block wind amazingly well.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:59 pm

Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:So I have a question or 2 about wool.  How cold would it have to be (or cold and windy) would you wear wool?  And I presume a wool shirt would probably be the 2nd layer, over a shirt?  I'm thinking scratchy wool against the skin.

I have Smartwool socks, and they're fabulous for when it gets really cold. I suspect their tops would be just as good.

Nike makes a nice un-scratchy wool top (click here), and SportHill makes wonderful cold-weather tops (click here) that use synthetics that wick and still block wind amazingly well.

Yup. /spits to spitoon.

Smartwool!  Yes, I have long johns from Smartwool that I got at REI for when I hiked Half Dome.  Those are nice.  They'd never work as running tights, though.

This Texas boy thanks you.

Ride
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:00 pm

Mark B wrote:
Nick Morris wrote: 

Approval

Nope. A -1°F is a stunt run, and you can stay relatively dry and warm, with the right gear. A 34° rainy run? Hypothermia city, no matter the gear. And because it's so much more common, nobody in their right mind would run it just to say they did it.

Not even me? Question
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:37 pm

ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote:

Yup. /spits to spitoon.

Smartwool!  Yes, I have long johns from Smartwool that I got at REI for when I hiked Half Dome.  Those are nice.  They'd never work as running tights, though.

Ride

Wool tights? Ooo. Now that'd add a nice 19th century flair to your running experience...
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:03 pm

Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote:

Yup. /spits to spitoon.

Ride

Wool tights? Ooo. Now that'd add a nice 19th century flair to your running experience...
My brother tells me that silk socks do the same thing as wool socks and is commonly used in skiing.  Anybody else know about this?
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down