365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Road2Hope was in Hamilton

+9
fostever
Julie
Nick Morris
Michele "1L" Keane
T Miller
Alex Kubacki
Jerry
Mark B
nkrichards
13 posters

Go down

Road2Hope was in Hamilton Empty Road2Hope was in Hamilton

Post  nkrichards Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:22 am

Not quite sure where to start with this race report as thoughts are still swirling around in my head.

4:04:01   BQ minus 5:59    Lowered my PR by 2:14 and got a hug from Nick at the finish.  Life is good.

I could talk about starting out with the 4:15 pacer to make sure I didn't start to fast and being very disappointed when she ran her first mile in 8:57.  Way to fast.  Slowed it down a bit but probably not as much as I should have.  It's hard to slow down when she's right on your heals and her goal is significantly slower than yours.  Not the best start but I managed to calm down and carry on.

I could talk about my support crew at mile 13.  Photos & cheers  Smile 

I could talk about the head wind on the hill (miles 14-16).  I started to panic when I realized I was working way to hard in an effort to gain the time I'd been told I'd gain on that portion of the course.  Once again I managed to calm down and settle back into race pace.

I could talk about the tough gravel section at the bottom of the hill where I lost my first significant amount of time.  It was to early to give up!  I finally realized it was a mental lapse not a physical collapse and although I wasn't able to muster the pace required for a negative split I was able to stop the bleeding for a time.

I could talk about the boost I got from seeing Nick at mile 19.  I could tell he was on his way to a great finish!

I could talk about the turn around (mile 22) that I kept waiting for.  It seemed like forever!  I wanted to get started on that finishing stretch!

I could talk about fading somewhat those last few miles but still passing tons of people and finishing feeling good.

I could talk about realizing how important the core/strength work that I added this training cycle was.  I think it made a huge difference for me.

I could talk about my mileage.  I'm definitely a low mileage runner.  I did add a bit of mileage this time around and I've done more miles this calendar year than I've ever done in the past.  But I've realized that all the cross training in the world doesn't prepare your legs to run a strong marathon to the end.  My cardio didn't fail me.  My legs did.  If I want to progress to the point where I can hope to run strong the entire 26.2 miles I'm going to have to run more.

I don't think that I realized how important this was to me.  It wasn't qualifying for Boston that mattered...although that was pretty special.  It was about not giving up when everyone...including me...just assumed that because I got older I didn't have the ability to achieve the goal that I had set.  Not making it to the starting line in 2011 and 2012 was really tough.  I lost a lot of confidence. 

I kept telling myself that I would be satisfied with a BQ (4:10) but what I really wanted (needed?) was to prove to myself that I could run the 4:05:59 that I had set out to run before I moved up an age group.

I'm not sure where I'll go from here.  Boston...maybe.  Another marathon...probably not.  More of a concentration on shorter races and triathlons...probably.  Whatever I decide...when things get tough I'll remember this race and what I can accomplish when I make the commitment...

My Road2Hope was definitely in Hamilton.

Thanks again for helping me to find my way...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Road2Hope was in Hamilton Empty Re: Road2Hope was in Hamilton

Post  Mark B Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:21 am

Congratulations on an exceptionally well-run race!

What with your 2:14 PR and BQ-5:59, I'm thinking that you needn't worry too much about slowing down yet!

Relax and enjoy how good this race made you feel, and find something to do next that'll keep you as excited and motivated as you were this time.

Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:33 am

Boston,yes.
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:23 am

Congrats on the race.  Great job recognizing the pacer was going too fast and you backed off.  Congrats on getting a BQ.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  T Miller Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:35 am

Congrats on the BQ Nancy, you definitely earned it.  Best of luck in whatever you choose to pursue.
T Miller
T Miller
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:42 am

Congrats, Nancy - I knew you could do it, and it gives all of us "old ladies" hopes that we can keep on keeping on during our 50s.  A PR and a BQ all in one - how terrific!

If you do decide to go to Boston in 2015, let me know.  Your family would probably want to come, but if not, we can always stay at my Mom's to save a bit of $$$ or share a hotel room.  I know that I'll most likely go alone since my daughter is already there as are my parents. (And my husband always says he has been there and done that Wink - although I think I can get him to come to Eugene).
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:11 am

Congratulations on the wonderful race!!  I think that you summed it up pretty well.  It was great to meet you and congratulate you in person on your run.  Hopefully our paths will cross again!!
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:04 pm

wow. great work!! Congratulations! Boston would be awesome.Very Happy
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:25 pm

Mark B wrote:Congratulations on an exceptionally well-run race!

What with your 2:14 PR and BQ-5:59, I'm thinking that you needn't worry too much about slowing down yet!

Relax and enjoy how good this race made you feel, and find something to do next that'll keep you as excited and motivated as you were this time.

Thanks Mark...I was pretty nervous about this race but I'm really happy with the results.  We have a trip planned so no running for a few weeks which will provide time to decide where to go next.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:25 pm

Jerry wrote:Boston,yes.
Maybe...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:27 pm

Alex Kubacki wrote:Congrats on the race.  Great job recognizing the pacer was going too fast and you backed off.  Congrats on getting a BQ.
Thanks Alex.  I never really slowed as much as I should have but I guess it was enough...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:28 pm

T Miller wrote:Congrats on the BQ Nancy, you definitely earned it.  Best of luck in whatever you choose to pursue.
Thanks Tim.  The support and encouragement I found here was a big help.  I feel like I need to share that BQ.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:30 pm

Nick Morris wrote:Congratulations on the wonderful race!!  I think that you summed it up pretty well.  It was great to meet you and congratulate you in person on your run.  Hopefully our paths will cross again!!
Thanks Nick both for the encouragement along the way and the hug at the end.  My daughter Katie is still laughing about her Mom flying across the country to meet up with a younger man. Smile
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:32 pm

Julie wrote:wow. great work!! Congratulations! Boston would be awesome.Very Happy
Thanks Julie.  If I do decide to run Boston it will be primarily to meet some of the people who have supported me here...and yes, I do think that would be awesome.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:37 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Congrats, Nancy - I knew you could do it, and it gives all of us "old ladies" hopes that we can keep on keeping on during our 50s.  A PR and a BQ all in one - how terrific!

If you do decide to go to Boston in 2015, let me know.  Your family would probably want to come, but if not, we can always stay at my Mom's to save a bit of $$$ or share a hotel room.  I know that I'll most likely go alone since my daughter is already there as are my parents. (And my husband always says he has been there and done that Wink - although I think I can get him to come to Eugene).
Thanks Michele...I'll definitely let you know if I do decide to run in 2015.  My husband can't leave the farm that time of year so my daughter would probably fly back with me.  Sharing a hotel and/or meeting your family would be great.  What I'm really going to need is advice on how to survive in the city!

Thanks for all the support and advice...I'll let you know what path my running takes me on.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:56 am

nkrichards wrote:
Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Congrats, Nancy - I knew you could do it, and it gives all of us "old ladies" hopes that we can keep on keeping on during our 50s.  A PR and a BQ all in one - how terrific!

Thanks Michele...I'll definitely let you know if I do decide to run in 2015.  My husband can't leave the farm that time of year so my daughter would probably fly back with me.  Sharing a hotel and/or meeting your family would be great.  What I'm really going to need is advice on how to survive in the city!

Thanks for all the support and advice...I'll let you know what path my running takes me on.
Well most likely it would be me and my daughter (she'll be 21 by then and a Junior), so it would be fun.  I'm a Bostonian so navigating the city would be no issue, and you should plan on at least 1-2 extra days if you can just to take in the history of the place.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:10 am

I think you did talk about all that stuff. Congrats on a well executed plan and BQ!
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  amyjoann Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:29 pm

sounds like a great race and no slowing down for you any time soon !
amyjoann
amyjoann
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  RobA Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:36 pm

Great race, and a BQ too. Well done !!!
RobA
RobA

Back to top Go down

Post  dot520 Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:03 am

I'm thrilled for you!  Congratulations on getting it done and MORE!
dot520
dot520
Top 10 Poster Emeritus
Top 10 Poster Emeritus

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:55 am

Congratulations - not too shabby for a "low mileage" runner!  You obviously have a lot of talent and have worked hard to get a new PR.  Awesome!

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down