365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hamilton Road2Hope Marathon

+4
mountandog
JohnP
Michele "1L" Keane
Nick Morris
8 posters

Go down

Hamilton Road2Hope Marathon Empty Hamilton Road2Hope Marathon

Post  Nick Morris Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:16 pm

So, where do I start...I have had a couple of days now to let everything sink in and the more I think about it the more I still think that it SUCKS!!

Anyways, I got into Toronto on Friday evening. My mother and sister both traveled with me, while the older married couple that I run with often (and I talked into running this marathon) got in Friday, as well. We flew, while they drove...too far for me to sit in a car!! That evening we went to a little local Italian restaurant and I filled myself with pasta. Then it was back to the hotel to get a good nights sleep. Saturday morning we went to the expo to get our race bibs. The expo was set up at the finish with a couple of huge tents. This was the first time that I had been to an outdoor race expo. We got our bib and then proceeded to run the final 2.25 miles of the course.

Following my short run to loosen everything up, my mother, sister, and I made the short 25 minute drive down to Niagara Falls. It was our first time seeing the falls and I can say that they are extremely magnificent and beautiful. I am so glad that I took the time to go see them. We then ventured back to the hotel, where I ate a light dinner and settled down for the evening.

Now on to the important part...race day. Since the race is a point to point, we got dropped off at the start line about an hour and a half before the start of the race. I went through my pre-race routine and before I knew it, it was time to make my way to the starting line. I lined up on the front row knowing that I wanted to get a good clean start. The race director counted down, 3, 2, 1 and for a second, no one moved so I took off and everyone else seemed to follow. I actually led the race for the first 250 feet or so and then my friend that was running/pacing me yelled at me to slow down Smile I settled in from there and let the true leaders take over. With temps in the lower 30s and hardly much for wind, the first couple of mile ticked off 6:56, 6:58, 6:56, 6:57. At about mile four, my friend that was pacing me said that his calf was acting up and he was not sure that he would be able to hold up much longer. He dropped in behind me and that was really the last time that I talked to him. I caught up to a couple of guys that were running around 6:58 and decided to sit in behind them and let them pace me. At about mile 9 I saw my mother and sister for the first time and I was thinking that today could be the day. Not too long after seeing them (mile 10), the downhill portion of the race began. For a little over three miles the course takes you down an expressway that they have closed off. The downhill is fairly significant and was a good place to save up some energy. The two guys that I had been pacing with took the hill faster than I wanted to, so I let them go and eased off a little. But I ended up catching back up with them by mile 15 just be fore we got to Lake Ontario. With a big portion of the race still left, I was once again using these two guys as my pace bunnies. We mad our way down the lake front path and completed the first and only real tricky part of the course. They had to put a loop in the lake front trail to get us to 26.2. The loop was about 3 miles long and I made it through the two loops at about the 21 mile mark. At this point I started to play the mental game. My mind was telling me that I was tired and my pace started to slow a little. By mile 23 I had to convince myself that I was going to do this and I pushed through the mental block. By mile 26 I knew that I was going to be close to the 3:05 mark. I started yelling at myself to get me going. Mile 26 hit and I was almost finished...as I made the turn to the shoot, I looked at my watch and saw it tick over 3:04 to 3:05. It was at that point that my heart sunk. All I know is that if there were any kids at the finish shoot, I hope that they had some earmuffs on, because I was cussing the rest of the way to the finish.

I crossed the line at 3:05:28...just 29 seconds short of a BQ Sad My pride was hurt and disappointment ran over me. To be so close, yet not attain my goal was such a tough pill to swallow. Looking back now, though, I do know that I did not leave anything on the course. I gave it my all and on that day, the marathon won. I did get an 8:01 PR, so that is a positive that I can take from this.

I also made the Canadian News (see the videos below). You will be able to see that no one else started until I did Smile

This one I am at the :13 mark.
http://www.chch.com/index.php/home/item/10274-road-2-hope-marathon-gets-a-boost

This one I am at the :33 mark.
http://www.citytv.com/toronto/citynews/video?bcpid=605122007001&bckey=AQ~~,AAAAii5Rh_E~,CtyoY0YlBsZ47P9cPTKAjo-LMRVZQFs3&bctid=1947355650001

Hamilton Road2Hope Marathon Splits10
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Hamilton Road2Hope Marathon Empty Re: Hamilton Road2Hope Marathon

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:00 pm

Well run, Nick! Love that you had to get the runners going. As I said before, you have nothing to be disappointed about - that was a major PR and you worked hard for it.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:34 pm

I can tell you are disappointed but this was a fantastic run. Since Boston is full anyway, you still have next spring to qualify and with this race under your belt and a fantastic time like this, I feel you will push through then. Congratulations on an excellent PR.
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  mountandog Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:40 pm

Good run Nick. I agree with John - rest up and give it another go in the spring. Congrats on a MAJOR PR.
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:22 pm

Uhhh, I declare a false start. Kidding, of course! That was a solid effort and shows you are going to crack a BQ soon. Hang in there and you'll get that coveted prize. I feel for you, dang. Can't be too bummed about an 8 minute PR!
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:54 pm

Nick, that is so close and I hear you're disappointed and I do understand but man you did great! You had a great PR which is nothing to minimize and you gave it your best. 3:05 is really really fast, too, and you did run a very good race. I hope you find a good race for next year and get your BQ then.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:55 am

From that disappointment will come an understanding of what to do differently next time, I think. Sounds like it was a hell of a race.

And nice job jumping the gun in that video. Wink
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:10 pm

Mike MacLellan wrote:From that disappointment will come an understanding of what to do differently next time, I think. Sounds like it was a hell of a race.

And nice job jumping the gun in that video. Wink

There was no gun and I was still a second off of the official start time Smile
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:28 pm

Looks like you wanted a sub 3 at the start, Nick, so why don't you just do that next time!
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down