365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

do you warm up before training runs?

+11
Jim Lentz
JohnP
ounce
Nick Morris
Jerry
Chris M
Mike MacLellan
Michael Enright
Michele "1L" Keane
Mark B
Penelope
15 posters

Go down

do you warm up before training runs? Empty do you warm up before training runs?

Post  Penelope Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:29 pm

Just curious on the opinions / practice others have on the idea of warming up---for routine runs, not just races.  And regular runs, not ones where you're going to do speedwork, just an even-paced effort.
I never used to warm up.  After doing more group runs, I am doing more of them just by default, and am finding that when I do, starting at a faster pace for the real run is easier.  If I don't warm up, the first mile is slower and I seem to ease into the appropriate pace instead of just starting there at that pace.  That being said, I never enjoy the warmup and that's why I usually don't do it.  Others' experiences?
Penelope
Penelope
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

do you warm up before training runs? Empty Re: do you warm up before training runs?

Post  Mark B Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:35 pm

I usually walk the first and last 5 minutes of every run (about a quarter mile). If I don't walk, I try to start very slowly and then pick up the pace during the first mile.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

do you warm up before training runs? Empty Re: do you warm up before training runs?

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:51 am

I usually do some active stretches i.e. leg swings, etc., walk about 2-3 minutes and then begin at an easy jog.  I never did this when I was younger, but now I find that it helps me settle in easier.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:57 am

I will often take it sort of easy in the first half mile to mile. That's it.
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:26 am

My first mile is always the slowest.  Usually it takes me 3mi to get really warmed up.  If I don't allow for this, paces feel subjectively harder.  My body is weird.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:48 pm

I like to start very slow.  45-60 seconds slower than planned pace for Mile 1.  That's for a regular run.  For something like speed work, more like 2 miles of warmup including some brief very fast stuff.
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:23 pm

Slow jogging to start up to well sometimes the whole distance.
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:24 pm

I normally stretch and do a little walking prior to starting a training run.  I also run the first mile on the slower side to make sure that the body is good and warm.  For races, I like to get a good mile of easy running in before hand.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:25 pm

Michael Enright wrote:I will often take it sort of easy in the first half mile to mile. That's it.
+1
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:17 pm

For speed work or tempo/MP runs, I always warm up, but for general runs, I never warm up.
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:51 pm

JohnP wrote:For speed work or tempo/MP runs, I always warm up, but for general runs, I never warm up.
+1
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:59 pm

I'll do 20 mins easy before any speedwork.  I don't really do any formal stretching routines.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ben Z Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:18 pm

Penelope wrote:Just curious on the opinions / practice others have on the idea of warming up---for routine runs, not just races.  And regular runs, not ones where you're going to do speedwork, just an even-paced effort.
I never used to warm up.  After doing more group runs, I am doing more of them just by default, and am finding that when I do, starting at a faster pace for the real run is easier.  If I don't warm up, the first mile is slower and I seem to ease into the appropriate pace instead of just starting there at that pace.  That being said, I never enjoy the warmup and that's why I usually don't do it.  Others' experiences?
I at least try to get my hips to open up before every run and do a couple of sets of sideways and forward/back leg swings. And try to open up my quads and hamstrings with some active stretching. I sit in an office a lot so I feel this helps me find a longer stride quickly.

And yes, a whole w/u routine before speed workouts which includes easy jogging, dynamic stretching, 1-2 min faster burts of running, skipping, etc. Absolutely helps me feel better in speed workouts and run faster.

But the best thing I have found to 'feel good' at the start of a run is to do hill sprints the day before a long run or workout. Don't know why but it works.
Ben Z
Ben Z
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Bussard Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:52 pm

Here's what I do...

Trackwork: Usually 2 miles easy to the track + a few strides, the workout, then 2 miles home.
Tempo's: 2-3 miles steady, the fast part, then 2-3 miles cool down.
Long Runs: Most long runs are progressive in nature so the first mile is the slowest with each mile progressively faster.
Daily runs: Most are just steady easy running with no warmup or much variation in pace.
Before a race: 20 minutes easy with a few strides before changing shoes then a few more at the line.

Stretching is never part of the warmup routine...
Dave Bussard
Dave Bussard
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:31 am

When I was younger I could drop right into a tempo type pace after about 2min.  Now forget it.  It takes me 20-30min to be ready to drop the pace like that.  I always have to stretch prior and get into trouble when I slack on it.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down