365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pace of G.A. Runs

5 posters

Go down

Pace of G.A. Runs Empty Pace of G.A. Runs

Post  Alex Kubacki Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:47 am

What pace does everyone usually do their G.A. runs at? Is it just a feel thing? A couple of weeks ago I did one and without looking at my watch ended up about -10MP. I felt fine doing it, my heart rate wasn't high. I worried after if I did it too fast. The next one I purposely dialed it back and ended up MP+15. Just curious if there's a general rule for these? Thanks.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Pace of G.A. Runs Empty Re: Pace of G.A. Runs

Post  Kenny B. Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:03 pm

At Standard Moderat Effort according to Pete Pfitzinger. For me this means faster then LSD but slower than MP. I like to be about LSD-30 or MP +30 in that range. I run LSD around 8:30 MP is around 7:35 GA I run around 7:57. But I also go mainly by HR. So I run these at about 79 -82% of MAx HR is you are using max HR.

Running them -10mp IMO is not a GA run. MP+15 is closer but I still feel a bit on the fast side.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:25 pm

Between MP+10 and MP+30 for me.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:29 pm

Alex Kubacki wrote:A couple of weeks ago I did one and without looking at my watch ended up about -10MP. I felt fine doing it, my heart rate wasn't high.

How did you determine MP?

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:08 am

Mr MattM wrote:How did you determine MP?

I pulled my Half time from last month and dropped it in the calculators for marathon time. I added about 8min to it because I can't hit what it says I could. As I'm still semi-new to marathoning I'm still building the endurance side.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:18 am

I suggest either getting (and using) a HRM to get familiar with your real effort ranges, or focus on perceived exhertion. MP-10 really shouldn't feel that easy. Assuming that you are correct on your pace, your MP might be a bit too conservative. Looking at your HR during a run like that would tell the tale better.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:46 am

I do use one and I was in the zone for that run where I was -10MP. The problem for me is leg turnover once I get to the big mileage. That's what I'm trying to work on. But the regular GA runs I can bang out at a good clip without too much effort.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:16 am

For me, a GA run is just that a "general aerobic run" meaning that I run how I feel that day so the pace can vary. When I'm scheduled for a recovery run, I pay a lot more attention to pace and HR to make certain that it is indeed a "recovery" run.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down