365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Canova's 'simple plan'

3 posters

Go down

Canova's 'simple plan' Empty Canova's 'simple plan'

Post  Admin Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:58 am

RE: DTM question

Renato,
Thank you for your contributions, which as usual are illuminating and inspiring.

Here's my problem: I'd love to make improvement in every area of training. When I try to do that, I get tired, then I supercompensate and run well, and then I get injured. Sometimes I get injured first and the good performances never come. Many people here say that we should run our easy days very easy as a way of avoiding injury. Never have I had two good seasons in a row, building one floor of improvement on top of another.

My question is this: what, in your opinion, is the way for that 14:30 runner, or even a 16:30 runner, to avoid injury--while trying to improve in every facet of training? What signs should we look for?

Canova:
Gimpy, it sounds like you are not following correct training plan for best results. When I hear young athletes talk about training they do, I listen very closely to words. The words I hear from you are "tired", "injured", "confused", and "unhappy". You must listen to my words clearly my friend. The biggest problem that you have is you do things in wrong order. How do I know this? Very simple. The words you use to describe your training give me picture of your training plan. Yes it is true that I don't know exactly what training you do. But trust me Gimpy, you do things wrong way.
Here is my advice. And other people give their advice, and you decide what you want to do. But as for Renato, here is my advice for Gimpy.
Take summer months, June, July, and August. For 8 weeks you do three types of runs. Long easy runs, long steady runs, long medium runs. I make this very simple. You know what these paces are. It is time to be simple. Build your kilometers each week. Start with many long easy runs, then progress to some long steady and long medium runs. In July add 8x100 meters two times per week. In August you add tempo runs one time per week, maybe 8k - 10k runs, also it is important that you add hill fartlek workouts in August one time per week. Everything else is long easy, long steady, and long medium runs. This three month cycle is very simple and easy. Why does Renato write workout plan for me that is not extreme, and complicated, and the same as he writes for his world class athletes? My friend, the reason is that the answer to your problem is to get simple, not complicated. Too many young athletes try to copy Shaheen or Kwalia workout plan. This my friend is very stupid. You need simple plan. You have simple plan. Now do it and stay healthy. This is not science that is molecular, it is common sense training. Gimpy my friend, when you get to 13:00 for 5k then we talk about rocket science training. But for now my friend, this will help you stay healthy.

Read more: http://www.letsrun.com/forum/flat_read.php?thread=3328547&page=2#ixzz1Q7CHdM2v

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Canova's 'simple plan' Empty Re: Canova's 'simple plan'

Post  Mrs. Schuey Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:58 am

Matt, that is so cool that you posted that! I loved reading Renato's response and it makes sense, it does. I appreciate this post!
Mrs. Schuey
Mrs. Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Canova's 'simple plan' Empty Re: Canova's 'simple plan'

Post  charles Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:25 pm

GREAT advice from a great coach! Thanks for posting. Love Renato on LR
charles
charles
Poster
Poster