365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

What plan are you following?

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

What plan are you following?

Post  Schuey on Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:26 pm

So with fall marathon training started what type of training are you all following?

If your not running a marathon what type of training plan are you following for a 5k, 10k, half or any other distance?

Do you believe in Quantity? Quality? or combination of both?

Do you have any training types you would like to share or any other advice to pass on?
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What plan are you following?

Post  Mike MacLellan on Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:54 pm

Since my late summer/fall will be mainly trail ultras, including a marathon, 50k, and 50-miler, I'll be trying to put my faith in the whole back-to-back weekend long runs. Monday and Friday are off/truly recovery, Tues and Thurs are easy/possibly a tempo run every once in a while, Wed is a midweek long run (building to 2.5 hrs), and Sat and Sun build to 4 and 5 hours, respectively. Oof.
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. on Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:58 pm

So with fall marathon training started what type of training are you all following?

Mainly follow Phitzinger's/higdon/Hudson - a bit of all three in my training

If your not running a marathon what type of training plan are you following for a 5k, 10k, half or any other distance?

Currently 5 mile but the plan is heavy!

Both!

Do you have any training types you would like to share or any other advice to pass on?

Dump out in the morning before you run!
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Pete B on Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:14 pm

Hal's Advanced I - last three days of the third week of taper.

Both, but my quantity is 50+ miles per week but with intervals, MP runs, hill repeats, etc.

We will see what Saturday in Duluth brings.

Last edited by Pete Bochek on Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pete B
Poster
Poster

View user profile http://www.ahouseinthewoods.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry on Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:21 pm

Finally a serious running thread.

Having read several running books this year, I can tell you that my training will be quite sophisticated this fall.

Next month, I will start with a 2 months base building. With the Texas heat, I will still need to figure out how to up the mileage.

Then,I will follow Pete Pfitzinger's 24 or 18x70 program. I have followed his program twice, but without the speed workouts. With the Spring speed training going well, I should be able to handle the quality part of the program this time.

At this stage, I feel I am better off to up my mileage to 80-90 without worrying about the quality, but don't like doing doubles etc. So I choose to follow Pfitzinger's 70miles/week program again. Quality works too.

The most important thing is talent. Sleep

Train consistently, mix up(periodization), and race less but focused and hard.
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M on Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:46 pm

As most of you know and I'll cover in my blog, Dave coaches me. At the outset of a training cycle like the one just started for Chicago, he'll get info from me about any mid-cycle goal races I want to do, vacations etc and then he pretty much builds the plan from there, borrowing workouts and concepts from a ton of different sources. Me? i just run what he tells me to run. Yesterday was 10 with 4 at tempo; today a recovery double.
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Peg Coover on Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:12 pm

I'm using Intermediate II this time for my sixth marathon on October 2. Last time I used Int I and felt very prepared and ready for Vegas but failed to execute on race day. pale

I'm in week 3 and so far so good!

I'm doing the pace/Long Run in the middle of the week, since I'm off for the summer. I'm racing a lot of local 5 and 10K's on the weekends, so that is giving me some opportunity for "speedwork" even though the plan doesn't have speedwork. I'm hoping the 3 20's will give me more confidence going into race day this time.

I'm running Twin Cities for the third time. I loved both of my experiences there!
Peg Coover
Regular
Regular

View user profile http://web.mac.com/cooverp/MrsCoover/Welcome.html

Back to top Go down

Post  Glenn on Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:22 pm

A variant of Hal's Intermediate II. It's either Intermediate II with speed work on Thursdays or it is Adv. I with a day of cross-training instead of a 6th day of running.

I've got 3 days until Grandma's, then a 3 week reverse taper, and then pick up the same plan for St. George at about Week 7.

Glenn
Poster
Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:43 pm

I'm working with a coach again here in Atlanta and trying to build up mileage while adding back in speedwork. I seem to have trouble staying whole once I get much over the 50 mpw mark, so I approach every little bit more with caution. I've also has some on/off issues with some medical woman stuff, but I can deal with it now that I know what the issues are.

I believe in quality over quantity as it works for me; however, I just wish and hope that I can get the quantity up a bit higher with the quality.
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick on Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:56 pm

I won't begin a marathon program until this fall, but am sort of winging together a program for a half ironman this fall based on 12-14 hours a week to train. I've sort of pieced it together from the book Going Long by Joe Friel and Gordon Byrn. This fall I will try again to use one of Hal's training plans (intermediate 2 or advanced 1)

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan on Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:10 pm

@John Kilpatrick wrote:I won't begin a marathon program until this fall, but am sort of winging together a program for a half ironman this fall based on 12-14 hours a week to train. I've sort of pieced it together from the book Going Long by Joe Friel and Gordon Byrn. This fall I will try again to use one of Hal's training plans (intermediate 2 or advanced 1)

Are you doing 3bike/3run/3swim per week? I'd be interested to hear what exactly you're doing - hopefully you start a blog (if you haven't already) - since I'll be tackling a HIM in 2012.
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick on Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:17 pm

I will start a blog, but so far I run 3-4, bike 3-4, and swim 2 (but probably need to bump it up to 3x weekly).

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim M on Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:13 pm

I've always used a modified version of the Hanson plan. This time I'm going to use Luke Humphrey as my coach, but being that he is a Hanson guy, I'm sure it will follow the same principles.

Combination of quality and volume seems to be right.
Tim M
Poster
Poster

View user profile http://runhappyrunmore.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  charles on Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:16 pm

I follow my plan. I have recently read a couple of Lydiard articles and Hadd's Approach to Distance Running. They have influenced my training philosophies. I have read a lot of others as well, Hal, Pete, Daniels. But I follow a basic template of:
MON: Easy 5 - 10 miles. Double day
TUES: Easy 5 - 12 miles. Double day. Will do hill repeats. Will go to track when I want to get injured
WED: Easy 10 - 17 miles. Single run
THURS: Easy 5 - 10 miles. Double day
FRI: Progression/Fast finish/tempo 10 - 12 miles. Single
SAT: Easy 5 - 10 miles. Single
SUN: Easy 15 - 20 miles. Single

I will occasionally run local races for speedwork. But this too, like speedwork at the track leads to overtraining and injury in my case.

I believe that quantity leads to quality. I have spent a lot of wasted years trying to go to the track and do speedwork only to get injured and have to take 6 to 8 weeks off only to come back and run mediocre marathons. Once I quit trying to run fast and started concentrating on running FREQUENTLY and CONSISTENTLY I made huge improvements. I can easily handle 50 to 60 miles a week no problem and peaked last year at 82 with a lot of 70+ mile weeks. I believe I'll hit 100 this year. For someone like me, running 3:25 marathons, I benefit more from consistent quantity (high volume) than faster, high intensity quantity.

Consistency is the key. And I believe I'll improve until at least the age of 55! So about 14 more years of improvement. Sub 3 here I come!
charles
Poster
Poster

View user profile http://www.memphis-defense.com

Back to top Go down

Post  charles on Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:19 pm

@Tim M wrote:I've always used a modified version of the Hanson plan. This time I'm going to use Luke Humphrey as my coach, but being that he is a Hanson guy, I'm sure it will follow the same principles.

A really good girl friend of mine has just signed on in the last month to be coached by Luke. She is aiming for NYC. She sent me his manifesto to review. I could never NOT do 20 milers in preparation for a marathon!
charles
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:30 pm

@Charles wrote:
@Tim M wrote:I've always used a modified version of the Hanson plan. This time I'm going to use Luke Humphrey as my coach, but being that he is a Hanson guy, I'm sure it will follow the same principles.

A really good girl friend of mine has just signed on in the last month to be coached by Luke. She is aiming for NYC. She sent me his manifesto to review. I could never NOT do 20 milers in preparation for a marathon!

Don't knock it until you try it. I've run a lot of marathons and do not do more than 2 20s. However, I run several 16-18 milers. The Hanson plan does work.

And good luck to you, Tim - welcome back.
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  charles on Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:35 pm

@Michele "1L" Keane wrote:
@Charles wrote:

Don't knock it until you try it. I've run a lot of marathons and do not do more than 2 20s. However, I run several 16-18 milers. The Hanson plan does work.

Not knocking it . . . I know it works. It is the SADIST in me that tries to knock out seven 20 milers in a training cycle in order go run under (SLOWER) than my expected goal Wink Wink I am definitely interested in hearing from my friend Jennie (who I've invited over) and Tim. I am sure they will both excel!
charles
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Natalie on Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:45 pm

I'm going to be using HH Advanced I. I officially start on July 4th, so right now I'm maintaining my base. I believe in quality. I've tried quantity and it just makes me stressed and burned out.
Natalie
Poster
Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey on Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:54 pm

Still waiting for our Internet to come up to post a detailed reply. Go figure I have forum to post to that has speed and my dam Internet goes down. Good think I can post from my phone!
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim M on Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:07 pm

@Charles wrote:
@Michele "1L" Keane wrote:
@Charles wrote:

Not knocking it . . . I know it works. It is the SADIST in me that tries to knock out seven 20 milers in a training cycle in order go run under (SLOWER) than my expected goal Wink Wink I am definitely interested in hearing from my friend Jennie (who I've invited over) and Tim. I am sure they will both excel!

The volume and intensity of the plans make up for the lack of the 20 milers. There was just an article in one of the running mags about the plan and the author had the same thought until he actually followed it. It worked for him too.

Luke is getting a lot of work right now because he has partnered up with Brooks for a discount to their sponsored runners.
Tim M
Poster
Poster

View user profile http://runhappyrunmore.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey on Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:26 pm

Yeah Tim there is a good article about their plan in the Jan 2011 runners world. The guy who wrote the article ended ip running a big pr. What it lacks in long runs is made up with speedwork tempo runs and a lot of mp runs.
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Wolfe on Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:05 pm

Decided to run NYC but I am out of marathon shape. So for the next 8-9 weeks I am base-building. I'll then start a modified "Boston Bound" for 12 weeks combining it with some of the workouts from Joe Rubio's (Aggies Track Club) "Strong Like Bull" training program.

Then on race day I'll go out too fast and die two or three miles after the 59th Street Bridge and vow never to run another NYC Marathon. [/b]

At 49 my body doesn't hold up real well with too much quantity but if you're gonna run a good marathon that's what you need. That and tempo runs.

Hill circuits 5-10 miles really strengthen my running.

"Lobo"
Dave Wolfe
Poster
Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  charles on Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:33 pm

@Schuey wrote:Yeah Tim there is a good article about their plan in the Jan 2011 runners world. The guy who wrote the article ended ip running a big pr. What it lacks in long runs is made up with speedwork tempo runs and a lot of mp runs.

Chicago last year none the less . . .

Runner's World Article: http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-244-255-13791-0,00.html

Here is an article from 2005: http://runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=4447

charles
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Vivian on Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:30 pm

I am following Pfitz 18/70 as a base with elements of Hal and McMillan thrown in. I am mixing in quality and quantity. My last few attempts at emphasizing quantity did not work well for me so I am back to what has worked for me in the past.
Vivian

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey on Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:51 pm

@Vivian wrote:I am following Pfitz 18/70 as a base with elements of Hal and McMillan thrown in. I am mixing in quality and quantity. My last few attempts at emphasizing quantity did not work well for me so I am back to what has worked for me in the past.

Great idea going back to what works. I believe what daniel's says u have to find that balance and get the most out of your training by doing the least!
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next