365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Help with NYC Marathon!

+2
carleenp
mul21
6 posters

Go down

Help with NYC Marathon! Empty Help with NYC Marathon!

Post  mul21 Wed May 29, 2013 9:54 pm

I'm in and now I'm freaking out about where I should fly into, where to stay, what the best transportation option to the start is, and I'm sure a million other things I haven't thought of. Any tips, pointers or flat out do this, don't do that advice would be greatly appreciated.
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Help with NYC Marathon! Empty Re: Help with NYC Marathon!

Post  carleenp Wed May 29, 2013 10:42 pm

This is a travel guide for the NYC Marathon that I had a travel writer do for one of my now neglected websites in 2011. It is a bit older and I didn't personally check it, but it could have some useful info and the author was one of my best writers. http://www.rungadget.com/ing-new-york-city-marathon-travel-guide
carleenp
carleenp
Regular
Regular

http://beautyandfashiontech.com

Back to top Go down

Post  healdgator Thu May 30, 2013 12:54 pm

Can't help you with the Marathon logistics, but the Met is one of the great museums in the entire world. Also, Peter Luger's is overrated. There are better steakhouses in NYC.

Good luck, buddy.
healdgator
healdgator
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Thu May 30, 2013 2:17 pm

healdgator wrote:Can't help you with the Marathon logistics, but the Met is one of the great museums in the entire world.

It may be true, but don't go just because ...

To me, Brooklyn pizza at Brooklyn, then walk the extra calorie off on Brooklyn bridge.

Now you know where to stay. lol!

Metro subway takes you everywhere.
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Thu May 30, 2013 3:57 pm

Personally, I would fly to Newark, take the PATH train to Manhattan and take the bus from the library. I have done this twice without any issues at all, and neither time was the "stay" in Staten Island too long. I took a newspaper, sat, relaxed and read. I know that Vivian took the ferry the same year as I took the bus (2011), and she was late in getting to the start and had to jump over something to get in the corral. There was an issue which I think is rare, but the bus worked for me - twice!!

Part of the experience to me is to stay and experience the city; however, it is expensive, so many choose to stay in NJ or other areas and there is transportation from there as well. I shared a room with three other women the first year that I did it and that helped to defer the hotel costs (we stayed in Times Square both times). There are often discount rates for hotels in NY, and I remember that Natalie got a nice one. I used Hilton points the second time I went with my daughter and husband. Remember, NY has a zillion hotel rooms (not like Boston), so you can get decent rates (they are always expensive).
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Thu May 30, 2013 6:36 pm

Well, based on that Michele, I think I'm doing okay so far. I got a cheap flight ($216) in to LaGuardia and used hotel points for 2 nights at the Hampton Inn Manhattan-Chelsea. I need to find a cheaper place to stay on Friday night, but that shouldn't be too hard.

Looks like the library bus is only about a mile from the hotel, so that looks like the ideal way to go. Thanks a bunch!

Oh, also, is there any way to get by without having to check a bag? The details are kind of sketchy on that right now, but it sounds like it's going to be yet another pay if you want it service.
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Fri May 31, 2013 10:05 am

mul21 wrote:Well, based on that Michele, I think I'm doing okay so far. I got a cheap flight ($216) in to LaGuardia and used hotel points for 2 nights at the Hampton Inn Manhattan-Chelsea. I need to find a cheaper place to stay on Friday night, but that shouldn't be too hard.

Looks like the library bus is only about a mile from the hotel, so that looks like the ideal way to go. Thanks a bunch!

Oh, also, is there any way to get by without having to check a bag? The details are kind of sketchy on that right now, but it sounds like it's going to be yet another pay if you want it service.

Last year was the first year that they were to implement the "no gear check" option, so I'm guessing no one knows how that works. You could choose the option for UPS to send your checked gear home so that you didn't have to deal with picking it up. Getting to your gear was probably the worst part about the race the two times I ran. I also thought the food was poor, but then again, the after race food at Boston is pretty lacking as well.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Natalie63 Fri May 31, 2013 10:26 pm

I also like to enjoy the city and visit friends in Manhattan the weekend of the marathon. I've used Priceline for rooms, also rented an apartment on VRBO the first time I ran. Took the ferry both times (once with Julio Smile and liked the ride to SI. However, once you get off the ferry, there is a bottleneck of runners to get out of the terminal and onto busses! The subway makes it a cinch to get around. If I were you, I'd book Friday night as well, if you can, because you can always cancel if you find something cheaper. Right now, I see that they have rooms for $399/night. If you are getting two nights "free," you can amortize that over the three nights and it's a steal. Hotwire has several in that area for less. Remember, you paid a small fortune to run this race -- why try to save now? Wink

You MUST eat at Katz's! http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/30/last-jewish-waiter-katzs-video_n_3355570.html

Bag check at NYCM is the worst invention in the world. If they would do away with it altogether, they would also solve the problem of midpackers fainting after getting their medals in the bottleneck of people trying to get out of Central Park. Really, what do you need? Your hotel key, a $20 bill, and cell phone.
Natalie63
Natalie63

http://www.lonewolfinthevillage.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down