365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Welcome Thread: Both old and new

+80
Barry W
jkane1977
EugeneGreenie
cdyow
arnelgonce
wrichman
KBFitz
Ken Cushing
pattyspangs
dkleeman
Traveller
Lauren
kath
Max M
John S
Kevin C
pigoo
nkrichards
Ed
mcm92002
Jack_Scaff
runkenny
amyjoann
Kevin L
MartinD
mountandog
Tim M
Caleb
MichiganBrian
Chris M
Tim C
charles.moman
Dave Bussard
sir digby
Paula Sue
ounce
grennifer
dot520
Colleen
Jerry
gvey
Stephanie
John Kilpatrick
healdgator
stanton
Alex Kubacki
Diego
Penelope
Bob
Vivian
fostever
Pete B
Jim Lentz
Mark B
T Miller
Liz R
jdholland
Jeff F
Don S
jon c
Matt W
JohnP
ChasMcG
Glenn
wendy_miller
Sara Jane
Michele "1L" Keane
Peg Coover
Tom H
Kenny B.
Seth Harrison
Admin
Mike MacLellan
Mrs. Schuey
Nick Morris
Julie
Schuey
Natalie
Dave-O
84 posters

Page 9 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

The Welcome Thread: Both old and new - Page 9 Empty Re: The Welcome Thread: Both old and new

Post  John Kilpatrick Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:01 pm

Glad to have you here pspangs! I'm sort of like you in that I like doing triathlons in the summer and more just running in the offseason. I will be doing the Panama City IM next November - it will be my first one as well. Great job on your improvements - you've obviously worked really hard!

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

The Welcome Thread: Both old and new - Page 9 Empty Re: The Welcome Thread: Both old and new

Post  pattyspangs Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:28 am

Thanks, John. Good luck on the journey this year and congrats on even getting into that race since it sold out in like 15 minutes. Feel free to reach out down the road. What half are you doing?
pattyspangs
pattyspangs

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:30 pm

pattyspangs wrote:Thanks, John. Good luck on the journey this year and congrats on even getting into that race since it sold out in like 15 minutes. Feel free to reach out down the road. What half are you doing?

I'm not even sure if I'll do one next year, but I would like to do the Augusta half and maybe one more next year. I heard that Panama sold out that quickly - that is just crazy!

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:20 pm

Welcome Pat. For those interested, I think Spangs led the conference in number of pancake blocks per year. Poor defensive backs wouldn't stand a chance against the fullback barreling towards them. Also, forgive us if we brag about Illinois Wesleyan in the D3 playoffs starting this weekend...

Dave-O
Dave-O

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:33 pm

No issue, I don't even know where the school is - brag all you want. Welcome Pat.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

The Welcome Thread: Both old and new - Page 9 Empty Ken Cushing

Post  Ken Cushing Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:34 am

Hi I'm Ken Cushing. I joined the V-Team in June of 2006. I've run 44 marathons and several training runs of at least that length. 25 of those marathons have been the St George Marathon. My first was when I was 15 in 1982. Hearing myself say that I have been running marathons for almost 30 years really makes me feel old. But I'm still running them so that must say something right? I've also run 4 ultra marathons including two 100 mile trail trail runs. The Bear 100 with 21,986 feet of cumulative elevation gain and the Wasatch 100 with 26,882 feet of climb. That's over 5 miles straight up. I think I have some permanent scar tissue in my right hamstring up high where it meets the pelvis. There was a day that I could run a 2:55 marathon, but those days are far behind me. Sometimes I forget that I can't run fast when I go to cross a busy street. I go to turn on the sprint, and it just doesn't happen. I'm going to enter the lottery for the Wasatch 100 again. I can enter in a few days, but they don't pull the names until February. But frankly I'm not sure I have another one in me. If not, that's ok. I've done everything I've set out to do. I'm ok just running marathons for fun at a nice easy pace. I hope that doesn't sound wimpy to you hardcore competitors out there, but that is where I am right now. I would like to run faster. And I'm not saying I'm not going to make an effort. I just may have to accept the hand I'm dealt. Anyway, I'm glad I found the new forum. I can use the support. Thanks Kevin Fitzgerald for pointing me in the right direction.
Ken Cushing
Ken Cushing

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:06 am

Welcome Ken! Glad to have you on board - a 100 mile race sounds hardcore competitive to me!!!

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:27 am

Hey Ken, great to see you over here. It looks like you're in a good place as far as accepting whatever your legs have left to offer. You've certainly accomplished tons over the last thirty years. It'll be fun to follow your training if you decide to do Wasatch one more time.
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  mountandog Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:38 am

Welcome Ken. Maybe we can all learn something from your experience.
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  pattyspangs Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:10 am

Welcome, Ken. I am in awe of anyone who can run 100 miles.
pattyspangs
pattyspangs

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:06 pm

Hey Ken! Good to see you again. Welcome!

Good luck getting into the Wasatch 100. A number of us have gotten interested in ultra-distance events, so expect to get your brain picked regularly!
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:55 pm

Ken!
Dave-O
Dave-O

Back to top Go down

Post  Glenn Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:57 pm

Ken Cushing wrote: ....... I'm ok just running marathons for fun at a nice easy pace. I hope that doesn't sound wimpy ........

I love this quote! For one, it kind of crystallizes the approach to running for many people on these boards ("just" running marathons). And two, anybody that's followed Ken's exploits isn't tempted to use the word "wimpy" much.

Glad you found us Ken.
Glenn
Glenn
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  KBFitz Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:21 pm

Hey, it's Ken! Welcome aboard mountain goat Cushing.

There are several members here who are training to go longer next year. Some are looking to train up for 100 miles. So your experience will be a real asset. Schuey just did his first 50 Miler (the JFK50) in 7:45. Not too shabby for a debut performance, no?

Pleased to have you on board!
KBFitz
KBFitz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cushing Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:22 am

KBFitz wrote:Hey, it's Ken! Welcome aboard mountain goat Cushing.

There are several members here who are training to go longer next year. Some are looking to train up for 100 miles. So your experience will be a real asset. Schuey just did his first 50 Miler (the JFK50) in 7:45. Not too shabby for a debut performance, no?

Pleased to have you on board!

That's crazy fast for 50!

Thanks for all the support! I love this place!
Ken Cushing
Ken Cushing

Back to top Go down

The Welcome Thread: Both old and new - Page 9 Empty is this old V team?

Post  wrichman Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:53 am

I'm recognizing a lot of names from the V Team boards I used to write on so much circa 2005-2009ish. Did you guys branch off?
wrichman
wrichman
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  T Miller Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:25 am

wrichman wrote:I'm recognizing a lot of names from the V Team boards I used to write on so much circa 2005-2009ish. Did you guys branch off?

You found us, it is the old vteam. Welcome aboard, Whitney?
T Miller
T Miller
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  wrichman Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:33 pm

Hi, yes it's Whitney. I don't know where I left off w/. the V team, so I'll do a short summary:
I've been running since 2005, have completed 22 marathons (I think, w/ a PR of 3:26), one 50K and most recently the Chicago Lakefront 50 mile race (on the lakefront bike path) this past November. That was my first 50 mile race, and I loved it. Apparently my body did too b/c I finished in 7:45 and won the women's race. Just found out yesterday that I made it into the Jan/Feb issue of Ultrarunning Magazine, so now I'm almost as famous as Kim Kardashian. So, now I've got the ultra bug and trying to pick some races. I am currently training for Boston and Big Sur marathons, which are 13 days apart. I did B2B last year and LOVED Big Sur. As far as ultras, I'd like to do Ice Age 50 mile, but it's 2 weeks after Big Sur so I don't know if that will happen. I may sign up for it since it will probably sell out and see how things go. Right now I'm doing Pfitz 18/70 plane for Boston with a few more miles added in. If I do Ice Age, I'll have to tweak that plan and add some 30+ mile trail runs into the mix. I may do a 12 hr. race in June and in the fall I'm doing NYC and possibly JFK 50 mile.
That's my running story in a nutshell!
wrichman
wrichman
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:24 pm

wrichman wrote:Hi, yes it's Whitney. I don't know where I left off w/. the V team, so I'll do a short summary:
I've been running since 2005, have completed 22 marathons (I think, w/ a PR of 3:26), one 50K and most recently the Chicago Lakefront 50 mile race (on the lakefront bike path) this past November. That was my first 50 mile race, and I loved it. Apparently my body did too b/c I finished in 7:45 and won the women's race. Just found out yesterday that I made it into the Jan/Feb issue of Ultrarunning Magazine, so now I'm almost as famous as Kim Kardashian. So, now I've got the ultra bug and trying to pick some races. I am currently training for Boston and Big Sur marathons, which are 13 days apart. I did B2B last year and LOVED Big Sur. As far as ultras, I'd like to do Ice Age 50 mile, but it's 2 weeks after Big Sur so I don't know if that will happen. I may sign up for it since it will probably sell out and see how things go. Right now I'm doing Pfitz 18/70 plane for Boston with a few more miles added in. If I do Ice Age, I'll have to tweak that plan and add some 30+ mile trail runs into the mix. I may do a 12 hr. race in June and in the fall I'm doing NYC and possibly JFK 50 mile.

Phenomenal. Welcome aboard hopefully you will blog about your journey to "stardom".
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:40 pm

Kenny B. wrote:Phenomenal. Welcome aboard hopefully you will blog about your journey to "stardom".

Yeah, no kidding! I'm a newbie but welcome Whitney - awesome on the Chicago 50 - WOW!!!

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  T Miller Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:24 am

wrichman wrote:Hi, yes it's Whitney. I don't know where I left off w/. the V team, so I'll do a short summary:

Hey Whiteny, It's awesome that your running is going so well and that you've found us. I hope you stick around and share some of your experiences. Best of luck at Big Sur and in Boston. My wife, Wendy and I will be at Boston too so perhaps we can meet at the dinner, assuming there will be a 365 dinner.
T Miller
T Miller
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:46 pm

Hi Whitney - nice to have you back. I'll be in Boston as well, and I'll be there for a post race dinner (sending my daughter and her friend home after the race), so I'm sure we will schedule something. I ran Big Sur in 2005 and my husband did the walk. We'd love to do it again some year.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:19 pm

That's a great story, Whitney. Welcome back!

Winning your first 50-miler is fantastic! Congrats. I can't wait to see what you do next.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:31 pm

Hi Whitney. Glad you found us. The old site went through some redesign and adopted a focus on new members instead of the old crew. So, we started 365. Spread the word!

Congrats on the Lakefront win. I'm buddies with Matt Flaherty, who won the 50 mile on the men's side in 5:32.
Dave-O
Dave-O

Back to top Go down

The Welcome Thread: Both old and new - Page 9 Empty The Welcome Thread: Both Old and New

Post  arnelgonce Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:30 pm

Hi everyone! My name is Arnel, and I am a newbie on these types of boards. I am 48 mother of three teenage boys, wife to DH and have run most of my life, but done very little racing. I have mostly used running as a stress reliever. (With three teenage boys all learning to drive, there is plenty of stress!). Up until about two years ago I was a 25 mile per week runner, and not terribly fast. Then the unthinkable happened and I had a pulmonary embolism. Something clicked during my recovery, and I found myself (after not even being able to walk 10 feet), really pushing and testing my physical limits. I live in a very hilly area, and decided it was time to tackle the hills. Plus the boys ran XC and enjoyed some first year successes--I wanted to see if I could keep up! Over the last two years I have gone from not being able to breath while walking a few feet to my first half marathon in Richmond with a time of 1:46:43. I downloaded Hals Advanced I Marathon training guide, and followed it religiously. DH was a great support, continually saying, plan your run and run your plan. I went to Louisiana this past weekend and ran my first Marathon, and tanked the second half fabulously, because I didn't "run my plan". I made several mistakes, and on top of that was recovering from a respiratory bug. From my training runs, I figured I should have been able to run in 3:45, but my time was 4:16 and change. This first half was 1:48, the second 2:28.
I've given a lot of thought to this, and although my first words after crossing the finish line were, "I never want to do that again," by the next day I was already trying to decide when to try it again to "get it right".
So I'm looking for a little support and a way to work out my mistakes, of which I made three (well four if you count running while recovering from illness). The first, I was about 15 seconds min/mile too fast going out, second, I drank way more water than I'm used to, and third, I ate an untried (honey stinger waffle) which pretty much might as well have been ipecac.
Looking forward to some advice and support. Thanks!
Arnel

arnelgonce

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next