365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Welcome Thread: Both old and new

+80
Barry W
jkane1977
EugeneGreenie
cdyow
arnelgonce
wrichman
KBFitz
Ken Cushing
pattyspangs
dkleeman
Traveller
Lauren
kath
Max M
John S
Kevin C
pigoo
nkrichards
Ed
mcm92002
Jack_Scaff
runkenny
amyjoann
Kevin L
MartinD
mountandog
Tim M
Caleb
MichiganBrian
Chris M
Tim C
charles.moman
Dave Bussard
sir digby
Paula Sue
ounce
grennifer
dot520
Colleen
Jerry
gvey
Stephanie
John Kilpatrick
healdgator
stanton
Alex Kubacki
Diego
Penelope
Bob
Vivian
fostever
Pete B
Jim Lentz
Mark B
T Miller
Liz R
jdholland
Jeff F
Don S
jon c
Matt W
JohnP
ChasMcG
Glenn
wendy_miller
Sara Jane
Michele "1L" Keane
Peg Coover
Tom H
Kenny B.
Seth Harrison
Admin
Mike MacLellan
Mrs. Schuey
Nick Morris
Julie
Schuey
Natalie
Dave-O
84 posters

Page 2 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

The Welcome Thread: Both old and new - Page 2 Empty Re: The Welcome Thread: Both old and new

Post  Don S Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:31 am

Hola gang,

Some may recognize my avatar from RWOL forums. Heard about this new setting and thought I'd check it out.

My name is Don Sullivan. I live in Mpls, MN. 37 years old going on 12.

I started running in 2008 after many years of my younger brother trying to gently nudge me into the sport. Once I made a commitment to run consistently I found that I actually enjoyed running. Trained for my first marathon later that year and completed Whistlestop Marathon in October of 2008. I was hooked after that and have run 18 more since then.

Currently training for NYC this fall and hoping for a PR at that race. I run a lot of miles and would probably be a coach's nightmare so I just opt to create my own caveman like training program and experiment w/ new training styles until I find something that I like that works well.

I'll continue to pop in on some of the threads and input my two cents, but it is rarely worth that much.
Don S
Don S

Back to top Go down

The Welcome Thread: Both old and new - Page 2 Empty Re: The Welcome Thread: Both old and new

Post  Admin Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:35 am

Don S wrote:
I'll continue to pop in on some of the threads and input my two cents, but it is rarely worth that much.

Don! Didn't we almost meet once at the Minn Marathon? Laughing

How many miles are you logging THIS week? Hm?

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Don S Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:38 am

Mr MattM wrote:
Don S wrote:

Don! Didn't we almost meet once at the Minn Marathon? Laughing

How many miles are you logging THIS week? Hm?

Yeah, we actually did meet during the race. Remember when we were in the lower part of the course going around the lake and the course wasn't properly marked? I'm the guy that, thankfully, found the right direction to proceed and kept a group of about 5 of us from getting DQd for running off course. My bro wasn't so lucky.

Cutback week for me this week. I have a 10K marathon on Saturday and am hoping for a PR. Probably "only" 80-85 miles this week. Very Happy
Don S
Don S

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeff F Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:10 am

jon c wrote:I live in Nebraska

Jon, where in Nebraska? I was born in Lexington, grew up in West Point and went to school in Lincoln. I now live in Big 10 territory and look forward to the Huskers being part of the Big 10.
Jeff F
Jeff F
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:17 am

Don S wrote:
Yeah, we actually did meet during the race. Remember when we were in the lower part of the course going around the lake and the course wasn't properly marked? I'm the guy that, thankfully, found the right direction to proceed and kept a group of about 5 of us from getting DQd for running off course. My bro wasn't so lucky.

Oh, I know. Though I hardly call that properly "meeting" someone... lol... crazy miles last week! Glad to see you're cutting back a little. Good luck in the race! Think about starting a blog here. I know some of us would like to follow your adventures!

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  jon c Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:22 am

Jeff F wrote:
jon c wrote:I live in Nebraska

Jon, where in Nebraska? I was born in Lexington, grew up in West Point and went to school in Lincoln. I now live in Big 10 territory and look forward to the Huskers being part of the Big 10.

York

Yes it should be quite an interesting fall and winter around here. Ironically my 50 mile race will be during the Ohio State game in Lincoln that evening which is the first official home conference game for NU in the Big 10. On a positive note, the sale of said tickets may pay for most of the weekend expenses.
jon c
jon c
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:31 am

Welcome Don S and Jon C.

Don one heck of a week you just had. The most I have done was 133.5 and that was pretty tough, I don't think I could put in a 160 mile week but then again maybe I will have to try sometime or maybe not.

Jon should be cool having the Huskers in the Big10 this year. A friend of mine that I played ball with in H.S. played for the Huskers Eddie Stewart, heck of a ballplayer. Sorry that you know Matt. Just kidding.

Again welcome guys.
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  jdholland Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:53 pm

I'm Josh, I've been over on the RWOL forums mainly. I saw Dave-O's post about this new forum and thought I would check it out.

I started running in April of 2009 to check running a marathon off my bucket list of things to do in life. After an extremely painful last 10K I checked that box in San Francisco in 2009 and caught the running bug in the process. Two weeks later I registered for Las Vegas. I PR'ed in Vegas by 27 minutes which got me thinking that I could BQ in the Spring of 2010. I ran the Colfax Marathon in Denver last year and got my BQ with less than a minute to spare. Getting that BQ was my best running moment until I shocked myself with a sub 3 in Chicago last fall.

I had to skip Boston this year with a stress fracture in my tibia, but I'm back training again with Chicago as my goal race this year. I'm looking forward to learning from everyone here.

MrMattM - I got the official results book from Chicago the other day. I was scanning the results and noticed that you beat me by two seconds. We are listed right next to each other in the results. Here is to hoping that we both crack the top 500 there this year.
jdholland
jdholland

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:12 pm

jdholland wrote:

MrMattM - I got the official results book from Chicago the other day. I was scanning the results and noticed that you beat me by two seconds. We are listed right next to each other in the results. Here is to hoping that we both crack the top 500 there this year.

That's awesome!!!! Great to see you here, Josh. Welcome to our little (but growing) running community...

If you are so inclined, start a training blog so I can see how you're training for Chicago this year. Frankly, I need some motivation and I'm hoping to get some of it through following others' training... lol.

Hm. Maybe we need a little side competition on who finishes first this year? Shocked

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:14 pm

Welcome aboard Josh! Looks like your running career is just taking off 27minute PR, BQ, Sub 3 that is just awesome. Sorry to hear about the tibia stress fracture, I had one durning my training for my first marathon Chicago 05. Look forward to seeing you on the forum and hope to get the chance to meet you in Chicago this fall. As for Boston it's one hell of a race, it's my favorite one to race, hope you did it this coming year. Stay healthy
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Liz R Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:21 pm

I am Liz, an oldie, pushing fifty, running all my life, running marathons for ten plus years, forty marathons done. I have a husband and two teenagers. I used to be a big city lawyer and now am a Texas housewife. Moving here I started swimming and doing tris because it is too hot to run long distances in the summertime down here.

Liz R
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  jdholland Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:19 pm

Mr MattM wrote:
jdholland wrote:

That's awesome!!!! Great to see you here, Josh. Welcome to our little (but growing) running community...

If you are so inclined, start a training blog so I can see how you're training for Chicago this year. Frankly, I need some motivation and I'm hoping to get some of it through following others' training... lol.

Hm. Maybe we need a little side competition on who finishes first this year? Shocked

A wager sounds like a great way to maintain motivation to me. Got any ideas?
jdholland
jdholland

Back to top Go down

Post  Mrs. Schuey Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:20 pm

jdholland wrote:
Mr MattM wrote:
jdholland wrote:

A wager sounds like a great way to maintain motivation to me. Got any ideas?

I spot a new 1v1 happening!
Mrs. Schuey
Mrs. Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  T Miller Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:15 pm

wendy_miller wrote:
Sara Jane wrote:I'm Sara. When I need attention, I pretend that I am friends with Kara Goucher.
And I pretend to coach Sara Jane...which means I kind of know Kara.

And I'm married to Wendy who coaches Sara so I also kinda know Kara. Woot!
T Miller
T Miller
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Mrs. Schuey Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:25 pm

Nice to meet you Jon, Don and Josh!! bounce bounce

Last edited by Mrs. Schuey on Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mrs. Schuey
Mrs. Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:25 pm

T Miller wrote:
wendy_miller wrote:
Sara Jane wrote:I'm Sara. When I need attention, I pretend that I am friends with Kara Goucher.

And I sorta know all of them, which is more fame than one person can reasonably handle.

Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:27 pm

Mark B wrote:
T Miller wrote:
wendy_miller wrote:

And I sorta know all of them, which is more fame than one person can reasonably handle.

Oh brother!! Razz
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Mrs. Schuey Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:28 pm

Mark B wrote:
T Miller wrote:
wendy_miller wrote:

Sara - get Kara to post over here! Very Happy
Mrs. Schuey
Mrs. Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Don S Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:39 pm

Mark B wrote:
T Miller wrote:
wendy_miller wrote:

Does it count if Kara has a TRO against me? jocolor
Don S
Don S

Back to top Go down

Post  Mrs. Schuey Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:39 pm

Don S wrote:
Mark B wrote:
T Miller wrote:
wendy_miller wrote:

What's a TRO? scratch
Mrs. Schuey
Mrs. Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:40 pm

I'm Jim.

I started running in 2003 and set up my own running regimin which consisted of walking a mile, running a mile really fast, walking a mile, running 2 miles easy and finally walking a mile. I quickly became bored with doing the same thing 3-4 days/week. I found a book on training for a marathon and ran my first, Chicago, in 2004. Some stats:

• 14 marathons to date
  • 3 50Ks
  • 3 50 Milers
  • Pikes Peak Ascent
  • Tibial stress fracture
  • Bilateral pulminary emboli

My favorite races are the longer ones, marathon and beyond. My wife likes half marathons or shorter races. I turned 50 this month, before Seth did, you copy cat cat

I am hooked on running and hope I am running for many more years.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Don S Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:41 pm

Mrs. Schuey wrote:
Don S wrote:
Mark B wrote:
T Miller wrote:
wendy_miller wrote:

What's a TRO? scratch

Temporary Restraining Order. Emphasis on the word Temporary...HA!
Don S
Don S

Back to top Go down

Post  Pete B Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:44 pm

Mrs. Schuey wrote:
Don S wrote:
Mark B wrote:
T Miller wrote:
wendy_miller wrote:

What's a TRO? scratch

I smell some sort of restraining order.
Pete B
Pete B
Poster
Poster

http://www.ahouseinthewoods.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mrs. Schuey Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:49 pm

Don S wrote:
Mrs. Schuey wrote:
Don S wrote:
Mark B wrote:
T Miller wrote:
wendy_miller wrote:

What's a TRO? scratch

Temporary Restraining Order. Emphasis on the word Temporary...HA!

Ahhh..thanks for the explanation! bounce bounce What about a TRO against you by Shalane? Stud.
Mrs. Schuey
Mrs. Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:49 pm

I'm Steve, Stever(as my deadhead friend referred to me,) or Stevereno (as my late father affectionately called me.) I've been seriously running as of my 1st half marathon in 2008 (Chicago Half.) This was in response to my wife trying to get me to run with her when she was training with some friends for a couple sprint tri's and a half marathon. This got me out and running about 3-5 mi every other day since like 2006 with no races. I wore some trail shoes from Sport Mart on the streets here in Chicago at first, since I hadn't done any research. Funny thing is I had no ill effects except some minor shin splints. My former running career in the mid to late 70's was junior high track 3/4 mile and high school cross country and 2mile track. No serious records here except a freshman 2mile CC school record of 11:38, then consistently in the low 11:00's, never really breaking 11:00 except maybe twice my senior year. I always lived in the shadows of my older brother who was more dedicated and talented.(9:57 PR HS) He ran in college and then semi-elite in the marathon post college with a 2:22 PR. So I had some interest and even took an aerobic conditioning class my frosh year where the instructor was an Olympic Trials marathon qualifier multiple times in the 1970's. That class in the fall of 1977 culminated in a 15K or 10mi race in Columbus Ohio, forget for sure. Anyway, stopped running and started some serious partying after that which interfered big time with any training or running, for that matter. In 1984 I moved to Chicago and actually started running some 5k&10K races with a corporate team for a couple years mostly to be social. Then I took off about 20 years from any running. I stayed in shape with the physically demanding job while doing some rowing and lifting/toning at a health club a couple times/week. So after my first half with a real short training cycle in 2008 and with a partially thrown back the week before, I ran a 1:41 and decided I might be halfway competitive in my AG and the journey began. Decided to challenge myself to a marathon in 2009 running Chicago. I ran 2 other 1/2s that year leading up getting my PR down to 1:30:16. My debut marathon was a 3:15:35 which qualified me for Boston by over 20 min., I had no idea. So my second was Boston 2010. I've run five 1/2 marathons and 4 marathons to date lowering the half PR to 1:29:58 but haven't matched that debut marathon. Since then I've been running consistently and racing a mix of trails and road races. I'm recently coming off an injury that kept me from running for the whole month of May. Since this is my first serious injury except for a bad ankle sprain in 2007 I'm taking this new marathon training cycle very slowly with fear and trepidation. So at present: week 2 of Chicago marathon training cycle and look forward to sharing thoughts here with new runners as well as the friend's I've met on Hal's boards. sunny

Last edited by fostever on Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:58 pm; edited 2 times in total
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next