365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stalking 50

+31
Jim Lentz
Nick Morris
Schuey
wendy_miller
Dave P
nkrichards
amyjoann
Natalie63
healdgator
ounce
fostever
Ben Z
KBFitz
Chris M
JohnP
Seth Harrison
Alex Kubacki
Dave Wolfe
KathyK
T Miller
Kenny B.
mul21
Glenn
John Kilpatrick
Mike MacLellan
dot520
Jerry
Michele "1L" Keane
charles.moman
Michael Enright
Mark B
35 posters

Page 33 of 41 Previous  1 ... 18 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 37 ... 41  Next

Go down

Stalking 50 - Page 33 Empty Re: Stalking 50

Post  Penelope Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:11 am

You know you're a runner when you're relieved that the reason you feel like crap is because a bug.  I totally get it though.  It means you don't have yourself to blame...and that in a few more days or a week, you'll feel better.
Wow, Forest Park is just breathtaking from your pictures.  How far from Seattle? A friend is moving there next summer and I'm feeling the need for a roadtrip to Forest Park when I'm visiting....
Penelope
Penelope
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:09 am

Penelope wrote:You know you're a runner when you're relieved that the reason you feel like crap is because a bug.  I totally get it though.  It means you don't have yourself to blame...and that in a few more days or a week, you'll feel better.
Wow, Forest Park is just breathtaking from your pictures.  How far from Seattle? A friend is moving there next summer and I'm feeling the need for a roadtrip to Forest Park when I'm visiting....
Ha! Good point, Kathy! Nothing like feeling the burden of guilt lifting, even as you reach for the ibuprofin. Smile

Portland and Forest Park is about two or three hours south of Seattle, depending on traffic, so it might be a bit of a haul. Still, if you're wanting to experience all the weirdness that is Portland, it'd a great place to burn off a few Voodoo Doughnuts! Seattle's no slouch for running routes, either, according to this blog post. Runner's World has also featured Seattle in several of it's "rave run" features. Here's one.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:07 pm

No running today, as I scramble before work to set up a few surprises for Alita on our 20th wedding anniversary. Very Happy

Stalking 50 - Page 33 Weddin10

Here we are, way back in 1993. It's hard to believe that it's been 20 years already. It feels like we're just getting warmed up.

Stalking 50 - Page 33 10938710

Us, recently. A little older but not so different.

So I spent this morning running around getting things like a nice bottle of real champagne, and trying my hand at flower arranging.

Stalking 50 - Page 33 Photo10

Not bad, if I do say so myself. I think it'll be a pleasant surprise when Alita gets home. Smile
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:33 pm

What?!?  You're not going to take her to a fun (for you) trip to Nikeland so she can watch you run around in R&D shoes??? 

Yeah, flowers always seem to work.  Gratz on the milestone, too!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:58 pm

Congrats! She looks just the same. You, on the other hand....

Very Happy 
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:04 pm

Congrats Mark to you both!!!
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:05 pm

ounce wrote:What?!?  You're not going to take her to a fun (for you) trip to Nikeland so she can watch you run around in R&D shoes??? 

Yeah, flowers always seem to work.  Gratz on the milestone, too!
Thanks, Doug! Alas, Alita has seen pretty much all there is to see at Nikeland, including the lab. Not so exciting if you're watching somebody else test...

The arranged the flowers myself. They were quite the hit! Smile

We did Chinese take-out (Panda Express) with the Moet & Chandon Imperial. A very good pairing, if you're wondering.

Michael Enright wrote:Congrats! She looks just the same. You, on the other hand....

Very Happy 
Thanks, Michael! I think she looks better, actually. But I'm biased.

As for me, well... I'm just glad she finds me acceptable to keep around.

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Congrats Mark to you both!!!
Thanks, Michele! It really is odd - we've been through a lot in the past 20 years, but in so many ways, it feels like we've just barely scratched the surface of life. I'm excited about what the next 20 will bring. And the 20 after that.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:23 pm

Sounds like you kept the anniversary casual but nice!  Great job on the flowers. Very Happy 

Does Alita still do any running?  Seems like I remember her running in the Girlfriends half a few years back.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:49 pm

nkrichards wrote:Sounds like you kept the anniversary casual but nice!  Great job on the flowers. Very Happy 

Does Alita still do any running?  Seems like I remember her running in the Girlfriends half a few years back.
Hi, Nancy! Casual is what we do best. Very Happy

Alita would like to run -- or at least walk -- but she is on the DL at the moment because of a case of hallux rigidus in her big toe joint. It's been building up for a few years -- she started having discomfort in her big toe joint after walking a lot in shoes at work that were a little too short, and it's just kept getting worse. The toe got less and less flexible, and the joint enlarged, making it harder to wear shoes. Now it's sore and achy.

She went to see her doctor this summer to see if there was anything that could be done (he thought it was a bunion), and he referred her to a podiatrist who diagnosed what we'd suspected - hallux rigidus, with bone spurs and some arthritis in the joint. This sort of thing can cause a lot of problems if left untreated. She's going to have surgery on it next month, and we're hopeful this will let her get back to it. Crossing my fingers!
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:57 pm

Mark B wrote:
nkrichards wrote:Sounds like you kept the anniversary casual but nice!  Great job on the flowers. Very Happy 

Alita would like to run -- or at least walk -- but she is on the DL at the moment because of a case of hallux rigidus in her big toe joint. It's been building up for a few years -- she started having discomfort in her big toe joint after walking a lot in shoes at work that were a little too short, and it's just kept getting worse. The toe got less and less flexible, and the joint enlarged, making it harder to wear shoes. Now it's sore and achy.

She went to see her doctor this summer to see if there was anything that could be done (he thought it was a bunion), and he referred her to a podiatrist who diagnosed what we'd suspected - hallux rigidus, with bone spurs and some arthritis in the joint. This sort of thing can cause a lot of problems if left untreated. She's going to have surgery on it next month, and we're hopeful this will let her get back to it. Crossing my fingers!
Good to hear she was able to get a diagnosis and get a treatment plan started.  Hope all goes well.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:28 pm

nkrichards wrote:
Mark B wrote:

Good to hear she was able to get a diagnosis and get a treatment plan started.  Hope all goes well.
Thanks, Nancy!

I, meanwhile, am going crazy looking out the window at a beautiful morning -- knowing I need to rest to clear whatever this low-grade bug is out of my system.

At least this hit now, when there is no worry that taking a break will mess up training. Still, I want it gone yesterday.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:07 pm

Still playing it conservative. I think I'm going to make this a full week off (unless my training partner talks me into a run on Sunday) and hopefully be recharged and ready to go again next week. 

It really hasn't been that long since I ran, but it feels like a lifetime! Maybe that shows that I needed the break...
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:56 pm

Cute couple you two make.  Congrats on your anniversary!
I'll definitely check out the Seattle rave runs as well. 
Rest up and when your body feels ready, then get back into it.
Penelope
Penelope
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:34 pm

Penelope wrote:Cute couple you two make.  Congrats on your anniversary!
I'll definitely check out the Seattle rave runs as well. 
Rest up and when your body feels ready, then get back into it.
Thanks! And a good suggestion. This bug wasn't like anything I've ever had - it was just enough to make me feel marginally rotten, but not so bad as kick my immune system into overdrive to take it out. At least I think I'm past it now.

Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:35 pm

Barefoot Run: 3.1 miles

Weather: Overcast, mild, a little muggy. 60 degrees, 86% humidity. Gear: Bare feet, shorts, T.

It's been a week without any activity, thanks to what I'm assuming is some weird virus, but I felt well enough today to give a short barefoot jaunt a try. I figured running laps around the block would allow me to bail out if needed.

My HR was down to 55 before I started, but I had a hard time keeping it under control on the run. My legs kept wanting to go faster -- especially up a slight upgrade on my loop -- so my HR would rev up. I'd catch it, slow down and get it back under control... until the next time.

I didn't feel fatigued during or after the run, which bodes well. I did, however, manage to scuff *both* big does on the asphalt (a first). One of my scuffs also include a bit of a stub (how I managed that, I'll never understand) which hurt like the dickens and probably shows my head wasn't fully in the game. Klutz.

Splits/average HRs were 9:56/135; 10:00/142 (oops); 10:16/139 (better)

Average HR for entire run: 139

One thing about barefoot runs after the first few rains of the season... the pavement is still dirty!

Stalking 50 - Page 33 Photo_10Stalking 50 - Page 33 Photo_11

Very Happy

(No, that's not a snake on the floor behind me.)
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:07 pm

Okay, now this is annoying.

That scuffed/stubbed toe yesterday turned out to be much more stubbed than anything. I must have bruised something, because it still hurts. A lot. Must have bruised something. I tried to take a walk at lunch today and barely made it 10 minutes -- it was so painfully sore that it was altering my stride.

So, it seems that my return to running after a week off for illness seems put on hold for minor but painful injury.  Sheesh.

This is why you don't read about people barefooting ultramarathons. Sure, it's possible to get strong enough to do it... but one misstep, and you're screwed. Hence, protective shoes, just in case. I always understood that need (goodness knows, I've kicked enough rocks and roots out there), but never so much as right now.

I just hope this stops hurting soon...
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:22 pm

Back to doing chores and things in the honey-do jar.  Dolt.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:34 pm

ounce wrote:Back to doing chores and things in the honey-do jar.  Dolt.
lol!

Yeah, I know... guilty as charged. The toe was less sore as the day went on, which is good, but was swollen, discolored and not exactly as straight as I remember when I took my shoe off. Hm...

No, I do NOT think it's broken. There's no way I stubbed it that hard.

Besides, I twisted and turned it all sorts of different ways and didn't have to peel myself off the ceiling. I think it's just puffy in some odd places.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:15 am

I hope it doesn't set you back too long. I dropped a half gallon of frozen milk on my foot last year and I think I must have broken it because it was bruised and sore for months. But I'm sure you just tweaked yours and it'll be great in another few days. At least hope so. Barefoot running would scare me because of all the junk people leave on side walks but I guess if you're on a nice path it'd be more manageable.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:21 pm

Julie wrote:I hope it doesn't set you back too long. I dropped a half gallon of frozen milk on my foot last year and I think I must have broken it because it was bruised and sore for months. But I'm sure you just tweaked yours and it'll be great in another few days. At least hope so. Barefoot running would scare me because of all the junk people leave on side walks but I guess if you're on a nice path it'd be more manageable.
Hi Julie! The toe doesn't hurt much at all now, but I woke up this morning and found that it was more colorful...

Stalking 50 - Page 33 Photo_12

This is what happens when you fail to pay attention when running barefoot. Still, it's the worst injury I've ever suffered in the 341 miles I've run barefoot since I started keeping records last year, so I guess I can't complain too much.

I can still feel twinges of pain when I walk, so it's definitely no running for me today. No point aggravating it as it's actively healing. I'll take it a day at a time. At the rate it's been improving, I think it'll settle down in a few days.

As far as junk on the sidewalk and street goes, I've found that there's a lot less out there than you might think. What is there is usually easily avoided - part of the zen of barefoot running is remaining present in the moment and making sure you feet are touching down where you want them. Zoning out is not an option. (And really, zoning out and forgetting form isn't such a great idea when you wear shoes, either.)

That said, there are some places I've tended to avoid -- especially roads with shoulders covered with scattered patches of gravel. I usually run on the edge of the road, but I need a predictably safe escape route when a car approaches -- which isn't always possible out in the country. That's one of the reasons I tend to do most of my barefoot runs in my neighborhood -- there's less traffic, and I can always flee the asphalt for the concrete sidewalk if a car is heading my way.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:54 pm

Ouch!!  That looks painful...Hopefully you are not sidelined too long.

Also, are you drinking the Kenny Baldo Kool-Aid??
"What is there is usually easily avoided - part of the zen of barefoot running is remaining present in the moment and making sure you feet are touching down where you want them."
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:02 pm

Nick Morris wrote:Ouch!!  That looks painful...Hopefully you are not sidelined too long.

Also, are you drinking the Kenny Baldo Kool-Aid??
"What is there is usually easily avoided - part of the zen of barefoot running is remaining present in the moment and making sure you feet are touching down where you want them."
Who, me?

Stalking 50 - Page 33 Zen10Stalking 50 - Page 33 Zen10Stalking 50 - Page 33 Zen10Stalking 50 - Page 33 Zen10Stalking 50 - Page 33 Zen10Stalking 50 - Page 33 Zen10Stalking 50 - Page 33 Zen10Stalking 50 - Page 33 Zen10Stalking 50 - Page 33 Zen10

(And thanks for the kind thoughts, grasshopper...)
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:31 pm

Some people will do anything to get a day off from running!

In all seriousness...hope it gets better quickly as I know you're anxious to get back out there.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:39 pm

nkrichards wrote:Some people will do anything to get a day off from running!

In all seriousness...hope it gets better quickly as I know you're anxious to get back out there.
Thanks, Nancy. I am eager to get back out there, but I'm trying to be philosophical about it.

Maybe this is just the universe's way of making sure I wasn't trying too much, too soon, after a challenging 50-miler. I'd rather lose some fitness than blunder my way into another case of burnout. Once was enough.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:21 am

How's the toe doing??  Does it hurt in a running shoe and have you tried taping it?  I jammed my big toe once and after a couple of days, I was able to run as long as I simply taped it to the next one (which I think is all the doc would do anyway).  It got all black and blue and nasty looking, but I don't recall being down too many days.  My running friend, Judy, ran Boston with a broken big toe.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 33 of 41 Previous  1 ... 18 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 37 ... 41  Next

Permissions in this forum: