365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stalking 50

+31
Jim Lentz
Nick Morris
Schuey
wendy_miller
Dave P
nkrichards
amyjoann
Natalie63
healdgator
ounce
fostever
Ben Z
KBFitz
Chris M
JohnP
Seth Harrison
Alex Kubacki
Dave Wolfe
KathyK
T Miller
Kenny B.
mul21
Glenn
John Kilpatrick
Mike MacLellan
dot520
Jerry
Michele "1L" Keane
charles.moman
Michael Enright
Mark B
35 posters

Page 12 of 41 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 26 ... 41  Next

Go down

Stalking 50 - Page 12 Empty Re: Stalking 50

Post  ounce Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:51 pm

You run hills all the time. I can certainly understand your trepidation, but don't DNS before doing more research. First off, nobody, except the elites, runs the whole thing. There's a lot of walking going on. That was one of the things I liked about trail races...as long as you beat the cutoff time, you're in good shape.

Second, go check out the course.

Third, the above was written by a flatlander. Use with extreme caution. Or you can check out the trail runs in Texas, which doesn't involve similar altitudes. Rocky trails, though.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:34 am

Oh, I wasn't thinking about a DNS... I'm just on the horns of a dilemma trying to figure out what to do...

Ride

I've been working a lot on hills in my "build" period, and I plan to keep it up as the long miles get really long. It is easy, however, to psych yourself out if you try to wrap your brain around the whole thing. Three hours of straight climbing - even hiking - is going to be as much a mental challenge as physical.

And if you ever want to pop your eyeballs, try to imagine running these seriously mountainous 100-milers...

Stalking 50 - Page 12 Ultra_10

I love how they throw in Boston for comparison. Yipes!

Oh, and for grins, here's how Boston compares to the White River 50:
Stalking 50 - Page 12 Ditto10

Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Natalie63 Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:41 am

Those do not look like fun to me. Have fun!
Natalie63
Natalie63

http://www.lonewolfinthevillage.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:45 am

Ha - I knew I was smarter than you Wink Actually, both courses look tough, but that is what you are training for, so i'd just go for whatever fits in your schedule. You have the time and the ability to train on similar terrain, something that I can't even do anymore for Boston (until summer). You will be fine as long as you keep a PMA.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:50 pm

Natalie63 wrote:Those do not look like fun to me. Have fun!

I love how you put that, Natalie. Very Happy

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:Ha - I knew I was smarter than you Wink Actually, both courses look tough, but that is what you are training for, so i'd just go for whatever fits in your schedule. You have the time and the ability to train on similar terrain, something that I can't even do anymore for Boston (until summer). You will be fine as long as you keep a PMA.

Smarter? As if there was ever a doubt? Wink

PMA is probably more critical than smarts in these sorts of events, simply because you'll have more time to reflect on the sheer idiocy of your endeavor. You've got to have a good answer to "why in the heck am I doing this to myself?," or you're toast.

One thing that helps is remembering that these events are held in spectacularly beautiful places. What you get back is so much more than the effort you put into it.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:14 pm

MAF Test+ 10.3 miles

Weather: Overcast, cool, muggy. 46 degrees, 93% humidity. Gear: Altra Instincts, shorts, T, jacket. Fuel: Grape Nuts and coffee before, nuun during.

I've been feeling worn down this week - probably due in part to stress, heavier hill work and maybe my impromptu tempo-ish run on Wednesday - so this seemed like a good time to do a MAF test. If not to look for progress, to check for regression caused by overdoing it.

I went out to the local track and ran solo (my training partner is out of town). I had a hard time getting my HR to settle down into the 50s before I started running, and I was disappointed when my first MAF mile came in at 9:56. That's noticeably slower than a month ago. Hm. The next mile was a little faster, but Mile 3's pace dropped by about 20 seconds/mile. Mile 4 dropped another 10 seconds... but then my pace held steady for the last official mile. Hm. Well, at least my pace didn't fall off a cliff.

I took a quick break and went out for four more miles, still at my target HR. Those miles actually came in faster than the last two official MAF miles. When I looked at the charts afterward, my HR and pace trendlines were virtually flat for the whole run. That suggests to me that my slowness was more due to being a little beat up and stressed, but that the endurance runs have been doing their job.

Stalking 50 - Page 12 Screen21

Walked first 5, last 6. Average HR for entire run: 133
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:32 pm

Trail Run: 18.2 miles

Weather: Sunny. 46-60 degrees. Gear: Altra Superiors, shorts, T. Fuel: Double-serving of Grape Nuts, coffee for breakfast. Fueled earlier than usual during run: two Picky Bars, one PB granola bar packet. 1 S-Cap before, then one each hour. Drank 64 ounces of nuun carried in Camelbak.

It was a beautiful sunny day, but I did much of this run in darkness. I was fighting a foul, black mood all day, and the run did nothing to alleviate it. I almost turned around, but my stubborn streak prevailed and, though I didn't run as far as I'd originally planned (22), I managed to make it to 18, which qualifies this as a long run.

Probably for the best, I suppose. I jammed one foot slightly on a root, and the other ankle got a little sore, so cutting back on the total distance worked out. I could make it the last mile or so on the rocks (I hit the most technically challenging part of this run when I'm tired and sore already), and it went much better than it did when I ran 24. So that's good.

Part of the black mood is mounting uncertainty about exactly what I'm preparing for. It seemed like a fun idea to sort of "sneak up" on an ultra, but I'd thought I'd know for sure I was running one by the first of March. It's late April now, and I still don't know. I guess I'm going to have to pull the trigger and go to Plan B, just to keep from going entirely insane.

One highlight of the run, other than the peek-a-boo views of Mount Hood through the trees (I think, I couldn't see it clearly; might have been Mount St. Helens), was finally figuring out why it was so difficult to drink out of my Camelbak. I'd suck and suck and get only an ounce or two of fluid. Turns out, the clip that keeps the tube from bouncing around causes the tube to kink if you don't remove it when you pull it up to your mouth. D'oh!

My legs handled the run pretty well. I kept the HR in a good spot and was able to keep running in spots where I'd previously have to walk. That was encouraging.

Walked first 5 minutes, last... well, I'm not sure exactly. Average HR: 136

51.1 miles for the week.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:48 pm

Do this:

http://www.marathonguide.com/races/racedetails.cfm?MIDD=510130519

1.5 hour drive, only $90 registration, looks like a reasonable course.
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:25 pm

Walk: 2 miles

Weather: Sunny, mild.

Walk with family before dinner, bumping my daily mile total to 20.2! Oddly, I had a hard time keeping up climbing up the side of the ravine. Smile

53.1 miles for the week.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:47 pm

mul21 wrote:Do this:

http://www.marathonguide.com/races/racedetails.cfm?MIDD=510130519

1.5 hour drive, only $90 registration, looks like a reasonable course.

I've heard pretty good things about that race, but I am more than likely going to do this one instead:

http://www.siskiyououtback.com/50k-info.html

$50 for 50K What a bargain!

And if I was going to do a marathon (say, in training), I'd do this one instead on June 19:

http://www.vancouverusamarathon.com/?pg=home

It's $100, but it's in the town where I live.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:56 am

Tisk, tisk. Is there nothing more pitiful than a runner that runs long distances, but no race to run?scratchjocolor

Stalking 50 - Page 12 1078438882
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:27 am

ounce wrote:Tisk, tisk. Is there nothing more pitiful than a runner that runs long distances, but no race to run?scratchjocolor

Hahaha - let us know what you settle on Mark...

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  T Miller Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:17 am

Mark B wrote:

I've heard pretty good things about that race, but I am more than likely going to do this one instead:

http://www.siskiyououtback.com/50k-info.html

$50 for 50K What a bargain!

And if I was going to do a marathon (say, in training), I'd do this one instead on June 19:

http://www.vancouverusamarathon.com/?pg=home

It's $100, but it's in the town where I live.

Just do it! Both of them. Once you sign up you'll be motivated to get out there and kick some butt. I really think you would like a 50 miler if you can find one. If it's hilly then you simply walk the hills and save yourself for the run-able sections.
T Miller
T Miller
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:26 pm

ounce wrote:Tisk, tisk. Is there nothing more pitiful than a runner that runs long distances, but no race to run?scratchjocolor

Yeah, I suppose that's true. Maybe I just need to embrace the Zen of it all and let go of all ambition. I mean, simply running should be a sufficient reward in itself, right? It is... but it brings to mind a quote.

"The soul craves simplicity, but the mind demands complexity."
-Me

John Kilpatrick wrote:Hahaha - let us know what you settle on Mark...

Will do, John. There are other factors to be considered in all of this, so it's not as simple as it might seem.

T Miller wrote:Just do it! Both of them. Once you sign up you'll be motivated to get out there and kick some butt. I really think you would like a 50 miler if you can find one. If it's hilly then you simply walk the hills and save yourself for the run-able sections.

Wait... so I should do a 50K, a marathon AND a 50-miler?

Methinks someone is overestimating my ability, enthusiasm, budget, free time ...and my family's patience. Suspect

Not ruling out a 50-miler, mind you... but it might need to be next year.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:30 pm

Mark B wrote:

Yeah, I suppose that's true. Maybe I just need to embrace the Zen of it all and let go of all ambition. I mean, simply running should be a sufficient reward in itself, right? It is... but it brings to mind a quote.

"The soul craves simplicity, but the mind demands complexity."
-Me

John Kilpatrick wrote:Hahaha - let us know what you settle on Mark...

Will do, John. There are other factors to be considered in all of this, so it's not as simple as it might seem.

T Miller wrote:Just do it! Both of them. Once you sign up you'll be motivated to get out there and kick some butt. I really think you would like a 50 miler if you can find one. If it's hilly then you simply walk the hills and save yourself for the run-able sections.

Methinks someone is overestimating my ability, enthusiasm, budget, free time ...and my family's patience. Suspect

If you do all three, then you wouldn't be able to find a Zen, much less embrace it.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  T Miller Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:37 pm

Mark B wrote:

Actually I was thinking that you should do the marathon as a training run and then to choose an ultra distance. My nudge was to suggest that I think you're capable of doing a 50 miler.
T Miller
T Miller
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:04 pm

ounce wrote:If you do all three, then you wouldn't be able to find a Zen, much less embrace it.

Or at least not be able to bend over and pick it up. Wink

T Miller wrote:Actually I was thinking that you should do the marathon as a training run and then to choose an ultra distance. My nudge was to suggest that I think you're capable of doing a 50 miler.

I kid! I didn't actually think you were suggesting all three. And I do think I'd be capable of doing a 50-miler. I'm just not sure it's going to work out this year. One upside, though, is that I'll be very well prepared for a 50K. After getting caught insufficiently prepared enough times in the past, I might actually appreciate feeling marginally competent out there, if slow.

No 100% decision yet. But I know I need to decide soon to keep from going bananas.

Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:43 pm

Walk: 30 minutes (1.62 miles)

Weather: Sunny, gorgeous, 64.

A short walk during lunch to the Columbia River. Didn't have time to do more, but at least I got a little active recovery accomplished.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:53 am

We are most definitely your own worst enemy aren't we???
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:47 am

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:We are most definitely our own worst enemy aren't we???

Aren't we always? sunny No Shocked scratch bounce Suspect Very Happy

(Joking aside? Yeah. Sometimes.)
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:19 pm

Barefoot Run: 3.1 miles on dry, medium asphalt

Weather: Sunny, cool. 48 degrees. Gear: Bare feet, shorts, T. Fuel: Post-breakfast.

This seemed like a good morning to re-ground myself, so I hustled to get ready and work in a barefoot run through the neighborhood before work. It was a beautiful spring morning to be out, and the pavement felt nice underfoot.

One thing I have to note, despite its impact on my disposition, last Monday's run did not have much of a physiological impact. Sure, I did 30 miles in two days, but it didn't feel like it the day after. I felt hardly any residual fatigue or soreness. It was as if I'd only done a regular run.

That shows that this training approach is doing its job. That's a good thing.

Average HR for entire run was 136
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:46 pm

No hurts after a couple of days of long runs is more than a bonus. From personal experience, even just standing in the hours after a marathon is the minimum active recovery for me.

Stalking 50 - Page 12 424776184
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:39 pm

ounce wrote:No hurts after a couple of days of long runs is more than a bonus. From personal experience, even just standing in the hours after a marathon is the minimum active recovery for me.

Stalking 50 - Page 12 424776184

Yep! One benefit of not going all-out, that's for sure. I *might* do a training marathon in June, but it'll definitely been at more of a MAF pace.

Speaking of active recovery...

Walk: 3.06 miles

Weather: Sunny and mild. 69 degrees!

I probably won't get a run in tomorrow, so I doubled up today and did a walk at lunch across the Interstate Bridge into Oregon and back to Vancouver. I picked a great time for it. A sailboat came along, which required the bridge's lift spans to open (I'd gone past the lift span). That left the lanes next to me blissfully traffic-free, and the lanes on the other side of the freeway stopped and mostly engine-off. It was so quiet!

The span was back down and traffic flowing on the return trip, which was a bit more noisy and smelly... especially when the flatbed and trailer loaded with chickens rolled by. Stinky.

Also got a view of FOUR Pacific Northwest volcanoes: Mount St. Helens, Mount Adams, Mount Hood and Mount Jefferson. Nice.

Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:47 pm

Low HR Run: 61 minutes (5.43 miles)

Weather: Sunny and *gasp* warm! 64-67 degrees. Gear: Altra Instincts, shorts, T. Fuel: Mid-morning snack, carried nuun in handheld.

I hadn't thought I'd be able to get in a run today -- had to take my wife's car to the shop to have them fix something they'd said they'd fixed a couple of weeks ago -- but that chore went faster than expected (still not fixed, though) and I had about an hour to get out there. A little less than what I'd normally do on a Thursday, but hey... its more than what I'd expected.

The run was the warmest of the year. Sunny, with a temperature in the mid-60s. About 10-15 degrees higher than what I've been running in. I could tell. My HR was higher than usual, and I didn't have much luck getting it down. That will change as I adapt to warmer weather. I hope it cools down for this weekend's marathon in Eugene, or some winter-adapted runners are going to wilt.

Walked first 5, last 6 minutes. Average HR for entire run: 134
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:50 pm

This just in...

Got an email from the race director at Mount Hood 50. He said a few slots are opening up soon, but he's mystified by how few people have dropped this year. He said he'd hate to lose me for the event but recommended White River as an alternate.

Given that I don't know how many people on the waiting list ahead of me have given up and picked other races, it seems premature to completely give up on Mount Hood. My No. 17 position might not end up being as far down the list as it appears. Hope so, anyway.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 41 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 26 ... 41  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum