365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Brooks Launch Being Discontinued

5 posters

Go down

Brooks Launch Being Discontinued Empty Brooks Launch Being Discontinued

Post  Chris M Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:17 am

This makes me grumpy. I don't like the Brooks "Pure" line at all which seems to be what they are pushing people towards. I gather the Launch didn't sell super well in mainstream shoe stores in malls and was more of a runner's store speciality item but so many runners I know had it as their favorite shoe. It surprises me that Brooks would discontinue a shoe that I've heard nothing but raves about from other runners. For me, it was the perfect shoe I could use as a lightweight but daily trainer. My favorite training shoe ever. I'm going to go buy a couple of pair but it sucks that Brooks is going away from this great shoe. I'm so OVER this whole marketing movement towards minimalist and "feel" shoes. Nike Frees, this new New Balance stuff and the Brooks "Pure" nonsense. "Feel the run" is the most overused phrase these companies keep trying to jam down our throats. I guess I'm in the minority but that's not something I want AT ALL in a marathon training shoe. Bleech.

http://www.runblogger.com/2012/06/rip-running-shoes-brooks-to-discontinue.html
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Brooks Launch Being Discontinued Empty Re: Brooks Launch Being Discontinued

Post  Diego Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:59 am

Chris M wrote:This makes me grumpy. I don't like the Brooks "Pure" line at all which seems to be what they are pushing people towards. I gather the Launch didn't sell super well in mainstream shoe stores in malls and was more of a runner's store speciality item but so many runners I know had it as their favorite shoe. It surprises me that Brooks would discontinue a shoe that I've heard nothing but raves about from other runners. For me, it was the perfect shoe I could use as a lightweight but daily trainer. My favorite training shoe ever. I'm going to go buy a couple of pair but it sucks that Brooks is going away from this great shoe. I'm so OVER this whole marketing movement towards minimalist and "feel" shoes. Nike Frees, this new New Balance stuff and the Brooks "Pure" nonsense. "Feel the run" is the most overused phrase these companies keep trying to jam down our throats. I guess I'm in the minority but that's not something I want AT ALL in a marathon training shoe. Bleech.

[url=http://www.runblogger.com/2012/06/rip-running-shoes-brooks-to-discontinue.html
http://www.runblogger.com/2012/06/rip-running-shoes-brooks-to-discontinue.html[/quote[/url]]

Figures!!

First, NB discontinues my favorite shoe of all time--the 826 in 2009(I could get 700 miles on those shoes) and now Brooks does the same with the Launch. The best thing about both shoes was the price--about $.09 per mile!!
Diego
Diego
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:16 pm

I heard this the other day, bought two pair, and I'm going back to buy two more, and I can't even run right now. I HATE the pure line as well - they did nothing for me, wore out fast, and I hurt too much after I ran with them. I even think I might have messed up my stride trying to better my stride and now I've got a very aggravated calf. Errrrrr
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:50 pm

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:I heard this the other day, bought two pair, and I'm going back to buy two more, and I can't even run right now. I HATE the pure line as well - they did nothing for me, wore out fast, and I hurt too much after I ran with them. I even think I might have messed up my stride trying to better my stride and now I've got a very aggravated calf. Errrrrr

Michele, that hurt you are experiencing with the Pure line would be Brooks telling you to "Feel the Run". It alll strikes me as Born to Run-inspired marketing mumbo jumbo that ends up forcing runners with perfectly neutral and good strides like you into some minimalist nut's theoretical concept of what impact you SHOULD be making with the ground and....viola....a good runner ends up getting hurt.

The reason I loved the Launch so much was that it didn't try to force you into anything with some wacky concept about how the ground should be giving you feedback on how to run. All this stuff about wearing shoes without support as a way to strengthen your feet seems crazy to me. I know how to run and I'm not going to be able to log 60-90 miles a week without injury if the road is slamming up into my feet every step as I "feel the run" and get "feedback" from the road. I can't stand the feel/wear of any shoes that tries to do more than be as light as possible while still being a basic running shoe. Doesn't it strike you as odd when someone tells you about a shoe that you can only wear a little bit at a time (a few miles here, a few miles there) right out of the box. Why the heck would I want that? I need shoes so that I can run a lot, not so that can go through some program just to teach my body how to get used to them. I just don't buy into the concept that a shoe should dictate anything about stride and impact. But I sure did love the perfectly neutral and "traditional shoe" Launch....at 9 ounces, it was lightweight enough for daily training and even usable as a marathon race shoe as well. I bought 2 more pair today to hopefully cover me for a bit until I find another great shoe to wear for training. Brooks lost a customer in me for now because I hate the direction they are going and can't stand any of their new Pure shoes and I don't like the T7s as much as other racing flats. Bring back to the Launch!

We are not the only ones complaining. Here's some of the Let's Run folks on it:

http://www.letsrun.com/forum/flat_read.php?thread=4611743
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin VW Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:09 pm

Have you tried calling Running Warehouse and asking them what shoe they would suggest that has a similar fit and technical specifications to the Launch? You may just find a new favorite shoe.

Chris, you may recall that I "left" Nike after 25+ years of rabid devotion because every performance trainer they were pumping out was on the Flywire/Lunar platform, which I don't like. An adidas Tech Rep put me in their shoes and I have been very happy with the direction they've been heading for the past several years. I'm not saying "try adidas" because I know you have on occasion, but people that do this stuff for a living knew before we did about the discontinuation and are probably already on top of this.
Martin VW
Martin VW
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:36 pm

Have you thought about trying the Brook Racer ST a little lighter or Brook Ghost and Brook Defyance which are both a little more than the the launch?
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:24 pm

I've run in the Defyance, and I like it, but it is really a trainer whereas the Launch was light enough for me to even wear running/racing a marathon where I need a bit more shoe than what I can get away with for a 10K or half marathon. Brooks mucked with the Defyance a couple of years ago which is what first sent me to the Launch, but I might try a pair again as I usually keep a pair of heavier more cushioned shoes in my arsenal.

I did buy the last two pair of Launch from Road Runner Sports and Running Warehouse in my size.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down