365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Back to Burlington - But Slower!

+7
fostever
Jerry
Michele "1L" Keane
Peg Coover
Alex Kubacki
Mark B
Michael Enright
11 posters

Go down

Back to Burlington - But Slower! Empty Back to Burlington - But Slower!

Post  Michael Enright Mon May 28, 2012 6:26 pm

I ran the Vermont City Marathon in Burlington on Sunday. It was my second time at this race, the last time being 2 years ago, when I ran it in 3:56. Based on recent training, I thought I could come close to that again, and was definitely hoping to break 4:00. Well, not this time! I finished in 4:15:19. Basically, I bonked early! I always bonk quite a bit, but I seem to be trending toward starting the bonk earlier in the race, despite taking the earlier part of the race slower.
My only hang up was that I had a nasty cold/sore throat thing for most of the three week taper. It did get better toward the end, and I do not think it was a contributing factor. Also, I've had a case of ITB, but it didn't bother me during the race - it was even less of an issue than I've had with it in my prior marathons.
It was a bit warm. Nothing bad. Low humidity. Temp at the start was 60, probably, and low 70s at the finish. Very sunny. I hate the sun. Not as much shade on the course as I remember, either.
My splits are below, as well as the elevation off my watch and off the race's website (not sure why I included both, but I did). I turned off autolap and hit the splits myself, so there are discrepancies noted in the mileage. Only split I failed to hit is apparent - even though I saw that mile marker. Not sure how I managed to not hit the button. Also, I never saw a 26.0, so the last split is 1.2 miles to the finish.
I lined up at just the right spot in the chute this time, which really helped with the congestion problems I faced last time in this race. The 4:00 pacers lined up about 20 feet ahead of me, as it turned out, and I just decided it would be a good idea to run with them, at least until the top of the hill at about 16 miles, and then if I had more, I'd hit the gas, and if not, I would just stay with them.
We were off right on time, and I stayed with the pacers. Through mile 5 they were at 45:45 by my watch, so right on the money! Almost immediately after the start, I felt warm in the sun. I started with a half liter bottle of water in my hand, and killed that in the first 5 miles. I dutifully took gatorade at most of the stops. At mile 9 and again at 15, I got a half liter (or 20 oz.) bottle of gatorade handed to me by my son (my "elite" fluid stops). I drank all of that, too. I drank a ton of fluid, mostly gatorade, during this run. I also ate 5 gus, 2 clif shot gels and 5 salt tabs. I also ate a chunk of banana, a chunk of watermelon and a slice of orange! I never felt the least bit sick to my stomach, and I was glad I ate and drank all of that. I was thirsty at the end, despite all the fluids I put in me along the way, but never felt that dehyrdrated. I never felt like I had to pee, and in fact did not for an hour or two after. Clearly, I have real dehydration risks and the sun doesn't help!
Anyway, I followed the pacers nicely until where the hill starts, at about mile 15. Last time I ran this race, I charged up that hill, and paid for it dearly - I started to cramp immediately after the crest, and had calf cramp problems the rest of the way. So, this time, I deliberately fell off the pacers' pace and ran slower for the hill, which stretches out over about a mile, although most of the hardest part runs about .6. I thought I would turn it back on after I crested it, but I did not see them after that. I lost them. And I could never increase my pace back to the pace I would need to catch them! I was starting the inevitable fade.
By mile 17 I knew I wasn't going to catch them later. I could feel the first signs of the bonk coming. By mile 18 I was pretty much toast, but just pushing it the best I could. Ran through a lot of sprinklers and hoses, put out in the neighborhood by the families who live in that part of the course. Nice! And then it really started to come. That slowing, slowing, slowing to the death march. I never did walk. I stopped at a trash barrel at about mile 23 right after a water stop, so I could eat my last gel and a salt tab while I drank a full glass of water. That cost me about 30 seconds in that mile. But then I started right back at it again. I felt like I was running in slow motion, but could not go any faster. I know that feeling!!
Also, at about mile 23, I passed one of the 4:00 pace leaders! He was walking, still holding his sign, but pointed down. I asked what happened and he just said "I burned man, I burned." I just kept going. It made me feel a little better, actually.
I saw my two sons about a half mile before the end, which was uplifting, but I couldn't really pick up the pace. The only thing that helped with that was right near the end, with probably .2 to go, I was passed by the 4:15 pace leaders! No way, I thought! This isn't happening, so I took off after them and caught up with them. It took all I had to stay right with them to the finish, but I managed that, finishing about two steps behind. I can't way to see the finish line photos - it'll look like I ran with whole way with them.
News stories afterwards said three runners went to the hospital with heat stroke, and they had an unusual number of other trips to the hospital compared to most years. That surprised me. Also spoke with a woman I met in the pool afterwards, and she said that she'd been with the 3:45 group, but burned out and said she walked more than she ever had in a marathon before. So, I guess the sun took its toll. It does really do a number on me.
This is a great race event. Probably not ideal for shooting for a pr, but it is fun. The whole family came and we had a great time in Burlington. Not sure how it would be for young families, but it was perfect with four teenagers (well, as perfect as anything can be with four teenagers!).
Next up is a low key summer of training and the Clarence Demar Marathon in NH on Sept. 30, God willing and the creek don't rise!
Thanks everybody for your support. Not what I was hoping for this time, but I've learned over the 7 starts and 6 finishes that anything can happen and they don't always go the way I plan, so I better learn to enjoy them as they come, come what may!
Back to Burlington - But Slower! Burlin10
Back to Burlington - But Slower! Burlin11
Back to Burlington - But Slower! Vcms_e10
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Back to Burlington - But Slower! Empty Re: Back to Burlington - But Slower!

Post  Mark B Mon May 28, 2012 11:34 pm

Congratulations on getting another marathon in the books, Michael! Those conditions sound far from ideal, and it seems that you weren't the only one affected by the sun and heat. When you pass a pacer doing the death march, you know it's not a good situation.

Make sure to get those fluid and fuel tanks topped off for a while as you recover. You've earned it.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Tue May 29, 2012 7:25 am

Great job Michael. Considering the conditions you did excellent. Recover well.

Have you run Clarence Demar before? I ran that in the fall. Nice low key race. The first half of the course is as pretty as they come.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Tue May 29, 2012 7:42 am

Mark B wrote:Congratulations on getting another marathon in the books, Michael! Those conditions sound far from ideal, and it seems that you weren't the only one affected by the sun and heat. When you pass a pacer doing the death march, you know it's not a good situation.

Make sure to get those fluid and fuel tanks topped off for a while as you recover. You've earned it.

Thanks Mark. I've been doing a good job with my refueling, that's for sure (helped to be in a town full of great restaurants afterwards!).
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Tue May 29, 2012 7:42 am

Alex Kubacki wrote:Great job Michael. Considering the conditions you did excellent. Recover well.

Have you run Clarence Demar before? I ran that in the fall. Nice low key race. The first half of the course is as pretty as they come.

No, I haven't, Alex - but I read your race report about that race again before I signed up for it a few weeks back! Thanks much.
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Peg Coover Tue May 29, 2012 8:01 am

Great report and congrats on another marathon!
Peg Coover
Peg Coover
Regular
Regular

http://web.mac.com/cooverp/MrsCoover/Welcome.html

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Tue May 29, 2012 8:42 am

Thanks Peg - always happy to finish in good health!
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Tue May 29, 2012 1:09 pm

Congratulations, Michael on getting another one done. And don't kid yourself as those were definitely less than ideal conditions - heat combined with sun and that little virus you had all contributed a bit, I'm sure. I've thought about running Clarence Demar for years, but could just never get it quite together that early in the fall after a long hot summer.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Tue May 29, 2012 1:51 pm

Michael,

Congratulations on another marathon finish!

If you feel the sun at mile 5, it IS warm to you at least. I would blame it on it anyway. Very Happy

On to another one ....

Jerry
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever Tue May 29, 2012 2:28 pm

Congrats on another successful marathon completion, Michael. The sun is definitely a factor especially if you can find hardly any shade.
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Tue May 29, 2012 2:32 pm

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:Congratulations, Michael on getting another one done. And don't kid yourself as those were definitely less than ideal conditions - heat combined with sun and that little virus you had all contributed a bit, I'm sure. I've thought about running Clarence Demar for years, but could just never get it quite together that early in the fall after a long hot summer.

The fact that Demar is early actually drew me to it. I have trouble getting the training runs in once school starts again, so was happy to see the early date, so I could be in taper most of September.

Thanks Michele.
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Tue May 29, 2012 2:33 pm

Jerry wrote:Michael,

Congratulations on another marathon finish!

If you feel the sun at mile 5, it IS warm to you at least. I would blame it on it anyway. Very Happy

On to another one ....

Jerry

Jerry is too funny! Thanks Jerry!
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Tue May 29, 2012 2:34 pm

fostever wrote:Congrats on another successful marathon completion, Michael. The sun is definitely a factor especially if you can find hardly any shade.

Thanks. I forgot to mention that relatively early in the race, I started seeing yellow placards at all the aid stations reading "moderate health risk." Although I think that applies to all marathons Very Happy I assume it was the warmth and sun.
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Tue May 29, 2012 2:46 pm

Congratulations on finishing another race in not ideal conditions both weather and physical. No doubt those played a big toll on the bonking early. Marathons can tend to not be kind to us sometimes!
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris Coleman Tue May 29, 2012 2:47 pm

Congratulations. 4:15 looks a pretty good time in the conditions. Also, going by my own experience, I suspect you underestimate the effect of that infection; it came at a bad time.
Chris Coleman
Chris Coleman
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Tue May 29, 2012 3:46 pm

I respect not wanting to make excuses, but high 60's/70 and sunny definitely had an impact. So congrats on running tough despite adverse conditions!
Dave-O
Dave-O

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Tue May 29, 2012 8:45 pm

Kenny B. wrote:Congratulations on finishing another race in not ideal conditions both weather and physical. No doubt those played a big toll on the bonking early. Marathons can tend to not be kind to us sometimes!

Yes, I have experienced that lack of kindness before, and sometimes it's not so clear what caused the issues, but no worries, it was a good day! Thanks Kenny.
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Tue May 29, 2012 8:46 pm

Chris Coleman wrote:Congratulations. 4:15 looks a pretty good time in the conditions. Also, going by my own experience, I suspect you underestimate the effect of that infection; it came at a bad time.

I must agree that it is always hard to gauge the effect of the illness, even if it seemed slight. Thanks for the good wishes!
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Tue May 29, 2012 8:46 pm

Dave-O wrote:I respect not wanting to make excuses, but high 60's/70 and sunny definitely had an impact. So congrats on running tough despite adverse conditions!

Thanks Dave - onward and upward!
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:33 pm

Race photos are up, and this one is my favorite. This is the exact moment when the 4:15 pacers passed me. You can see them holding up their signs (well, you can see the wooden dowels that their signs are on). And you can see me looking up at the placards as they pass me. That's me thinking "what the f***?! who is passing me now? 4:15??? no way!" Then I hit the gas with what little I had left,to make sure they didn't get away.
Back to Burlington - But Slower! 415_pa10
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Wolfe Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:36 pm

Four teenagers at home -- now we know why you run. Seriously, I think you underestimated the sun (if not the heat). Sounds like a great race.
Dave Wolfe
Dave Wolfe
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:26 am

Dave Wolfe wrote:Four teenagers at home -- now we know why you run. Seriously, I think you underestimated the sun (if not the heat). Sounds like a great race.

thanks Dave!

We had a great time, and you aren't too far off about the impact of having 4 teenagers!
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down