365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is this Blog For You?

+10
Alex Kubacki
wheakory
Mark B
Mike MacLellan
Gobbles
Diego
Julie
Michele "1L" Keane
Liz R
Kenny B.
14 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Is this Blog For You? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is this Blog For You?

Post  Liz R Wed May 16, 2012 11:52 am

I am impressed with all the from scratch cooking you are doing, but have to wonder whether there are some frozen and/or prepackaged foods you could be using to ease the strain. And are there any vegen restaurants where you live?

Liz R
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Wed May 16, 2012 1:45 pm

Liz R wrote:I am impressed with all the from scratch cooking you are doing, but have to wonder whether there are some frozen and/or prepackaged foods you could be using to ease the strain. And are there any vegen restaurants where you live?

There are NO vegan restaurants where I live. I do work by one which I can venture out for lunch at times but once I am in the office I kind of stay put. (But I should to eliminate cooking when it's just to difficult)

The only frozen food I am having right now is some fruits for smoothies and some vegetables. I used to load up on frozen vegetarian dinners, sides, etc. Their expensive and not as healthy as fresh.

However, I will have to be a bit flexible some days especially for dinner to pop open a frozen vegan dinner when I can't or don't have time to cook or where its affecting others around me.

Being a vegan with balance. Like anything else.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Wed May 16, 2012 2:09 pm

When you have extra time, maybe on a weekend or day off you can make a bunch of freezer meals, too. They really save us and then when you're tired you don't need to worry about what you're eating. Even if you don't cook entire meals you can cook beans and freeze them and freeze brown rice or quinoa, too.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  wheakory Wed May 16, 2012 6:25 pm

I like the morning star farm products. I will take these to work and eat the different options they have. I also eat meat as well I just like the taste of their product.
http://www.morningstarfarms.com/msfhome.html?utm_campaign=Intention%20-%20Products&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_content=Products&utm_term=morningstar%20products
wheakory
wheakory
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Thu May 17, 2012 10:46 am

kory.wheatley@gmail.com wrote:I like the morning star farm products. I will take these to work and eat the different options they have. I also eat meat as well I just like the taste of their product.
http://www.morningstarfarms.com/msfhome.html?utm_campaign=Intention%20-%20Products&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_content=Products&utm_term=morningstar%20products

Thanks Kory and Steph! I am familiar with Morningstar! Decent stuff.

Running
Woke up at 5:00am to run 14 miles on only 4.5 hour sleep. I considered ditching it to do it around 6pm but the choice was get it over with w/temps around 57 or wait w/temps around. As usual when tired I had one of my best MW long runs. pace 8:17 HR 154 went the old route I used to go which was nicely filled with cars going 55mph for part of it and then some quite developments. I really felt capable out there with no issues. This is my last long run other then 11 on Sunday before Buffalo next weekend.

Vegan Rants
It's the Kale! It's the Kale. I tested out eating the same kale snack yesterday and immediately it did not sit right with me. I felt very raspy in my throat all day and last night I even had some trouble swallowing like my throat was closing up. I then had Diarrhea again but only once and not that serious.

Tonight my wife is preparing some whole wheat pasta, peas and broccoli in red sauce since I won't have time to cook when I Get home. I'll probably throw down some protein vegan meat or something with it and later on a fruit. I am going to need to be more flexible with my food choices ie. frozen food prepared and boxed every few days or so on the nights I won't have time to cook.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego Thu May 17, 2012 11:04 am

Kenny, when I was staying at a hotel in Eastern TN for 2 months while doing locums I basically became lactovegan. For lunch I'd eat lots of Kashi, Healthy Choice and Lean Cuisines, depending on the best prices. I'd supplement those with tons of summer fruits and vegetables. When I ate lunch out, I found a place that made a fantastic spinach strawberry almond salad along with whole grain bread.

So don't worry on those nights when you don't have time to cook. If you prepare ahead of time in how you shop, it's not too difficult.

In summer I don't worry about sodium because running in humidity takes it out of you anyway.

Of course, I ruined the whole thing with visits every 2 weeks to Five Guys.Smile

As you found out with the kale allergy, be careful. Wheat grass has some nasty side effects, too.

Oh yeah, if you can find portobella burgers or make black bean burgers, those are great.

Last edited by Diego on Thu May 17, 2012 11:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Diego
Diego
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Liz R Thu May 17, 2012 11:13 am

That sucks! I like kale. Funny thing here in SA, there has been a run on kale after a newspaper article about kale chips. But now you know.

Liz R
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Thu May 17, 2012 11:59 am

Diego wrote:Kenny, when I was staying at a hotel in Eastern TN for 2 months while doing locums I basically became lactovegan. For lunch I'd eat lots of Kashi, Healthy Choice and Lean Cuisines, depending on the best prices. I'd supplement those with tons of summer fruits and vegetables. When I ate lunch out, I found a place that made a fantastic spinach strawberry almond salad along with whole grain bread.

So don't worry on those nights when you don't have time to cook. If you prepare ahead of time in how you shop, it's not too difficult.

In summer I don't worry about sodium because running in humidity takes it out of you anyway.

Of course, I ruined the whole thing with visits every 2 weeks to Five Guys.Smile

As you found out with the kale allergy, be careful. Wheat grass has some nasty side effects, too.

Oh yeah, if you can find portobella burgers or make black bean burgers, those are great.

Diego - Thanks for the tip. I have access of course to frozen vegan food which I was eating before I was trying to eliminate it but limit it and eliminate it is much different. I am going to have to be ok with prepared packaged frozen food at times but I'd say 75% will be cooked homemade.

Liz R wrote:That sucks! I like kale. Funny thing here in SA, there has been a run on kale after a newspaper article about kale chips. But now you know.

The kale chips which I love was called Brad's Kale Chips. They were just kale dried out with seasoning. They were very tasty but now the thought of eating it again make me nauseous. Similar to cotton candy. Yes Cotton Candy makes me nauseous something about the sugar and texture and past experience.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Thu May 17, 2012 12:29 pm

Cooking the kale should take care of the irritant. Figured it was the oxalic acid.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Thu May 17, 2012 12:32 pm

Mike MacLellan wrote:Cooking the kale should take care of the irritant. Figured it was the oxalic acid.

Mike, right now Kale spells D-I-A-R-R-H-E-A not R-E-L-I-E-F. lol I ain't cookin' it, I ain't buyin' it and I sure ain't eatin' it. I'll have to be without the "super" food for the time being.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Thu May 17, 2012 12:57 pm

No issue as I find Kale kind of yucky and can only eat it in a smoothie.

As for the black bean and portabella burgers mentioned above, both Garden Burger and Morningside Farms have pretty good frozen ones. We prefer the Garden Burger brand and the southwestern flavored ones. I like to eat them using rice cakes as the "bun", but not sure if rice cakes are truly vegan.

No we are not vegans here, but we do eat a bunch of veggies and organic foods in our normal diets. Of course, my daughter and I love cheese, hamburgers, bagels with cream cheese, and Chik-fil-a, so we will never qualify.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Thu May 17, 2012 3:05 pm

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:No issue as I find Kale kind of yucky and can only eat it in a smoothie.

As for the black bean and portabella burgers mentioned above, both Garden Burger and Morningside Farms have pretty good frozen ones. We prefer the Garden Burger brand and the southwestern flavored ones. I like to eat them using rice cakes as the "bun", but not sure if rice cakes are truly vegan.

No we are not vegans here, but we do eat a bunch of veggies and organic foods in our normal diets. Of course, my daughter and I love cheese, hamburgers, bagels with cream cheese, and Chik-fil-a, so we will never qualify.

Miche - I am eating your Summer Veggie Salad and yum yum. Made it pretty much to the T except I used a organic vegan Italian vinaigrette as I did not have the rice vinegar. Tossed it mango cucumber peppers etc. Very very refreshing and yummy ! THANKS!
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Fri May 18, 2012 10:11 am

Running
Wow! Some beautiful running weather this morning high 40's crisp air for 4.5 miles easy run. Coming off little sleep the night before and 14 miles I was happy to see my HR very very low 131 on avg. with pace around 9:30. I felt really light out there.

I did take a sneak peak at Buffalo Weather today (I know I should not do this to myself) 62 to 86 95% humidity. During the race around 64 to 76 high humidity. But the good news so far is 5 mph winds. lol.

Vegan Rants
I am looking forward to making some banana Whole Wheat Pancakes tomorrow morning. My weight since becoming vegan has maintained which I think is very good unless of course I am losing muscle mass. I go 2x per week to work out but I really could use 3x per week but with my schedule it would be hard unless I hit it on a Saturday.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Sat May 19, 2012 6:10 pm

Running
Easy 5 miles with 8x100 strides later in the morning got a bit warm but low humidity made this run just dam nice. HR was low pace was on the fast side.

Vegan Rants
After run Brunch called for Vegan Banana Fosters French Toast

• 2 ripe bananas
  • 3/4 cup soy milk
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (optional) I used Nutmeg
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • bread, any kind is fine I used Whole Wheat (3 slice can make 4)
  • vegan margarine
  • I added 1TBSP Brown sugar
Preparation:

Blend
bananas, soy milk, cinnamon, nutmeg brown sugar and vanilla in blender
or food processor and pour mixture into pie plate or wide dish. Gently
dip bread slices into the mix, coating both sides. Fry in vegan margarine
in medium-hot skillet until golden brown. Make sure to cook long enough to brown and with the added brown sugar you should get a nice coating.

Key to the fosters: After french toast is done leave flame going on pan add a bit more vegan butter then the remaining liquid awesome concoction to the pan and use a spatula to move it around so it does not burn but until it boils a bit. Then remove and pour over your french toast add maple syrup!

RATING: bom bom bom bom bom To date this was my best meal loved it! The bomb
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Liz R Sun May 20, 2012 9:17 am

Yum! And no one else in the family wants to eat with you?

Liz R
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Sun May 20, 2012 10:42 am

Liz R wrote:Yum! And no one else in the family wants to eat with you?

Nope.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Sun May 20, 2012 11:35 am

Running
Today went to trails ran a bit over 10 miles as I taper one more week until Buffalo. Was not the best of runs legs felt tired and heavy just not smooth. HR was creeping up there as well.

Vegan Rants
Made a corn and tofu salad sandwich which I will have for lunch. Tasted pretty good we will see how it is overall on some bread lettuce tomato a bit of onion.

Book Rants
Reading a good book so far called "The Man Who Quit Money" - I'll update as I continue but right now well worth the read and can easily see it become a movie.

Reminds of the book I started writing called "Rich but Not Filthy" - How to have money and keep it clean. So far I have written title which was last year. Kind of a slow writer.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Tue May 22, 2012 7:18 pm

Running
Headed out for 6 easy miles felt really good out there. HR was 139 on the high side but my pace was also on the faster side.

So, what will the weather be like in Buffalo! Sub 60's would be acceptable, well actually any temps will have to be acceptable since I am going even if it is 90 degrees. Question will be how to run this if it is warm out!

Vegan Rant

Actually gained a few pounds since being vegan which is interesting, but then again I am also doing very little mileage as I taper so in some sense the extra 2 pounds I think will do my body good.

Ill be heading to a vegan restaurant for the pre-dinner called MERGE! Plan on getting some whole grain pasta or rice and good vegan eatings.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Wed May 23, 2012 1:31 pm

Have fun with the race this weekend Kenny. Enjoy the day.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Wed May 23, 2012 6:49 pm

Good luck this weekend Kenny. Remember what I said "trust your training". No negative thoughts, only a PMA.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Wed May 23, 2012 7:05 pm

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:Good luck this weekend Kenny. Remember what I said "trust your training". No negative thoughts, only a PMA.

Thanks. I'm going out as we planned. See where that takes me. Weather I peeked looks warm.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave P Wed May 23, 2012 9:26 pm

I'm thinking those 2 lbs is mostly water,.... but then again, what do I know?
Dave P
Dave P
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Thu May 24, 2012 11:28 am

Dave P wrote:I'm thinking those 2 lbs is mostly water,.... but then again, what do I know?

Not sure what it is but I should be around 170-171 come race time this weekend which works well for me. Anything lower than that I might not feel energized for 26.2. Typically ill be around 168-172 during training preferring 168 as I do feel lighter.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Fri May 25, 2012 11:09 am

Running
Yesterday and today easy running finishing today with 6x100 strides. Legs felt really good light and capable. If weather was not an issue I feel I'd be able to close in on 3:15 or so. But, weather may play a part as most of my training has been during cool running and come sunday it maybe 63 to 74 during 7am to 11am with 80% doing down to 60% humidity, cloudy with possible thunderstorms in the early part of the run. Winds 8 to 10mph ESE which would be at my side mainly and hopefully it does not turn into SOUTH winds as the last 4 or so miles heads south.

So, part of me changing things up this race is I am NOT wearing my HR monitor! I am also going to start the first 6 miles about 2 minutes over MP goal. (thanks to fellow v-team for suggestion) It will look like

Miles 1 and 2 MP + 30
Mile 3 and 4 MP +20
Mile 5 and 6 MP +10

I believe this will help reserve some of the energy I need during the later miles so I can bust through the wall around mile 20. I will also know if the heat/humidity is a factor.

Goal A: Sub 3:20 (Preferrably 3:18)
Goal B: PR (sub 3:23)
Goal C: sub 3:30
Goal D: Finish

I am going to run as planned and allow myself the flexibility to adjust "early" if I feel I need to to NOT walk/run the last 5 or 6 miles which has plagued me 2 of my last 3 marathons. I rather finish running then death march.

So. NO NO Helping out the volunteers on this race! I will do what I got to do to keep moving forward.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Fri May 25, 2012 2:55 pm

I hope your race goes well, Kenny!
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next