365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

To blog or not...let's tri it

4 posters

Go down

To blog or not...let's tri it Empty To blog or not...let's tri it

Post  Kevin C Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:10 am

Since my marathon PR in Philadelphia in 2008, my overall training has been off. I completely lost my motivation for running coupled with a new job and a new house. I had to prioritize my time and training fell down on the list. In 2009 I did a few triathlons, fun but I did not get the bug like some do. 2010 was supposed to be my return to running. I ran the Las Vegas marathon, but was undertrained and paid for it the last 5 miles. 2011 started with me devoting way too much time to my son's baseball team. He started on a travel team and I was an assistant coach.

Then, this Summer I decided I was going to get back into running shape. I have done many 3-4 mile runs but no longer distances. To humor my wife, I signed up for a sprint triathlon with her. We did a few bike training rides, but not a lot. I did 1 open water swim about 1 month before the race. Oh yah, I am having serious tendinitis/bursitis issues in my left shoulder.

The race was this past weekend. I went into it with no expectations just planning on taking it easy and finishing. I entered the water dead last in my wave for the swim. But mirculously felt good and was passing people. I finished 32 out of 85 in the swim. Since I was taking it easy, I walked through Transition 1, taking over 7 minutes. That put me back to almost last in my wave/age group. I took it easy the first half of the bike, but was passing people. I decided to push it on the second half and was passing even more people. Transistion 2 was a bit faster, but still not rushed. Then I planned on an easy run, but surprisingly I was running faster than anticipated. At about 2.5 miles into the 5K, I started feeling it. I was able to fight to the finish for a surprising race. I ended up about 45 out of 85 in my age group.

Since then I have been thinking about it. If I had been in shape and started in an appropriate position, I could have been top 10 in the swim. I should have taked both transitions more seriously. I could have trained and worked the bike harder. Also, 2 friends I can normally beat, beat me and I did not like it.

So I am signing up for another sprint triathlon at the end of October. I plan on training this time. Work and baseball will be major obstacles in my training, but I want to better this time. I want to beat my friends this time.

I think failure can be a better motivator than success sometimes.

Long term goals: Rock N Roll St. Petersburg Half Marathon in February.
Kevin C
Kevin C

Back to top Go down

To blog or not...let's tri it Empty Re: To blog or not...let's tri it

Post  Kevin C Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:21 am

A few good runs this week. A little pain in my right foot, but nothing major (hopefully). Plan on a swim and bike ride this weekend.

Going to Rays game Saturday night. Hopefully they can "right the ship" and start winning again.
Kevin C
Kevin C

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:30 am

Glad to see you coming back! Seems like you have plan now it is time to execute it. Look forward to watching your "success" in the comeback.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Peg Coover Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:35 am

Good luck with your training and the triathlon! I agree, failure almost automatically has me raring to go for a chance at redemption.

I ran Vegas last December. While I thought I was trained well, I think the trip and Vegas itself did me in--I suffered the last several miles with abdominal cramps--It ended up being my 3rd worse time. I almost signed up for Phoenix so I could try again right away!
Peg Coover
Peg Coover
Regular
Regular

http://web.mac.com/cooverp/MrsCoover/Welcome.html

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:23 pm

Good luck with your training. I'm learning the ropes myself and it's good to see another person working towards a triathlon. What event are you going to do?

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin C Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:54 pm

John Kilpatrick wrote:Good luck with your training. I'm learning the ropes myself and it's good to see another person working towards a triathlon. What event are you going to do?

Siesta Key Triathlon - October 2
Kevin C
Kevin C

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin C Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:55 pm

Luckily the weekend is here. SHould get a swim, bike ride and 2 runs in.

Unfortunately next week I am out of town for work. Busy, busy, busy. Probably no training until the weekend.
Kevin C
Kevin C

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin C Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:43 am

Training has been continuing and going well.

Blogging on the other hand is not. I just do not seem to have the time I udes too.
Kevin C
Kevin C

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down