365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kinvara 2/ review please

+5
Ben Z
mountandog
Mike MacLellan
Jim Lentz
fostever
9 posters

Go down

Kinvara 2/ review please Empty Kinvara 2/ review please

Post  fostever Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:47 pm

I noticed the topic on the sale for these. I went to RW and read the reviews on them and they were mixed. Some said they were a little too soft and not as durable. Others raved. I see they have a lower drop, are light and can be used as a trainer. I just purchased a couple pair of new Asics that I got for $42 a piece and might consider these, but my new shoe reserve is already large. I might pull the trigger if I get enough endorsements from 365ers. So how you like em?
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Kinvara 2/ review please Empty Re: Kinvara 2/ review please

Post  Jim Lentz Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:04 am

They are my favorite shoes except for when doing faster speedwork. I have raced in them in half marathons up to 50 mile races and have always been happy with how they work for me. I also do most of my training in the Kinvara 2s.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:38 am

I, too, was waiting for a definitive review. I'm not sure if going from Ghosts to those in one fell swoop is a great idea. (Posting to bookmark the thread.)
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  mountandog Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:42 am

I am on my 6th pair of 1/2 and love em. I get around 400 miles +/-. I pushed one pair beyond 500 miles but then I got tendenitis. Not sure it was related, but don't want to test the theory again. I have bought another 4 pair while on sale. They are fully cushioned, but not overly so, obviously. I use them on train runs as well, but just recently bought the trail version, the Peregrine, for those runs.

I run 95% of my training runs in them, but use lighter flats for races.

I transitioned over one marathon training cycle into them. Alternating with my prior shoes first with the short runs and finally with the long runs at the end of the 18 weeks.

My only issue is they can hit my protruding ankle bone if tied too tight. Wish they had a slightly lower cut.

The Kinvara 3 will have better wear characteristics on the outer edge and up toward the toe for those truly mid/fore strikers that wear them out in that area. Previous reviewers have stated that they only get 100 miles out of them. But I'm more of a slight heel striker to mid foot so I get a lot more miles than that.

Hope that helps. For $50 you can always use them as mall walkers. Laughing
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Ben Z Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:44 am

It's a great shoe. If it wasn't for the Brooks Pure Connect this would still be my everyday shoe. It's light enought to use on race day yet still has plenty of cushioning for weekly long runs. It's got a really nice upper that wraps your foot well. It's not really wide in the forefoot, something I am starting to like more and more, but it should be wide enough for most.

The cushioning is soft but not overly so. Honestly, there is nothing about this shoe I didn't like, I simply liked the Pure Connect's slightly wider and lower-to-the-ground platform a bit more.

I didn't notice any durability issues though I tend to retire shoes around 300-400 miles anyways.
Ben Z
Ben Z
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Stephanie Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:27 pm

I'm on my 4th pair of Kinvara 2s. I love this shoe!! Lightweight but still somewhat cushioned without being a big, plush marshmallowy ride. The 4mm heel-to-toe drop takes some getting used - I felt it in my calves and achilles a bit but nothing major. I get about 400 miles on a shoe too and for whatever reason I prefer this shoe 100+ miles in than I do at the beginning. It's wonderful once I have it broken in and moulded perfectly to my foot. My only complaint is that I wish the toe box was a tad wider. I have run a half marathon in this shoe with no troubles but I doubt I could do a full in it because of some rubbing I get on the outer side of my big toes during my long runs. I prefer this shoe over my PureConnects because I find the PCs put me into too much of a forefoot strike than I really am naturally, whereas the Kinvaras seem to match my mid foot strike perfectly.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Gobbles Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:07 pm

I'm a true mid/forefoot striker, I get about 350 miles out of the shoe.
I rotate 4-5 shoes; there are always 2-3 Kinvaras in that rotation.

The shoe is cushioned, and hides a bit of stability in the progrid lite package in the heel.
It is definitely a neutral shoe; if you need a support shoe, try the mirage. The mirage is said to be a support version of the Kinvara, but for me it is truly a different shoe.

I'm waiting on the Kinvara 3, as I believe it will make the shoe better for me from 300 miles up. At the sale prices of the 2, I will admit that the 3 is a difficult sell!
Gobbles
Gobbles
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:38 pm

Thanks, obviously like/love them for the most part. My next question is do they run small, I've read in some reviews they do? I compared to shoes I have and it gives me different outcomes. I tend to buy 12.5 in heavier training shoes and 12 for race and mid-size trainers. When i put in some of my 12.5's it comes up 12.5 and one 13. When i put in my 12's it comes up 12 or 12.5. My reaction is to go 12.5, but that option just ended since they are OOS in that size now, as of this morning. I always felt that my heavier trainers could go down a size, but they tell you at the running stores to go 1/2 to 1 size up for marathon training due to foot swelling. Ahhh, such a dilema.
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Ben Z Tue May 01, 2012 10:29 pm

fostever wrote:Thanks, obviously like/love them for the most part. My next question is do they run small, I've read in some reviews they do? I compared to shoes I have and it gives me different outcomes. I tend to buy 12.5 in heavier training shoes and 12 for race and mid-size trainers. When i put in some of my 12.5's it comes up 12.5 and one 13. When i put in my 12's it comes up 12 or 12.5. My reaction is to go 12.5, but that option just ended since they are OOS in that size now, as of this morning. I always felt that my heavier trainers could go down a size, but they tell you at the running stores to go 1/2 to 1 size up for marathon training due to foot swelling. Ahhh, such a dilema.

I found they run true to size. If you are in between sizes I would opt for the larger size.
Ben Z
Ben Z
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Wed May 02, 2012 2:42 pm

These sound very intriguing - need to take a look at the 3s.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  wheakory Wed May 09, 2012 3:54 pm

I've got close to 400 miles on mine and like them and they are so cushioned for being so lightweight. I feel really fast in them with a good turnover rate.
wheakory
wheakory
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down