365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Closer to the Edge

+36
wendy_miller
jon c
Stephanie
ChasMcG
Jim Lentz
fostever
Mrs. Schuey
Bob
Joel H
Penelope
Chris M
Alex Kubacki
Nick Morris
JohnP
Peg Coover
Michele "1L" Keane
healdgator
Julie
Diego
Tim M
Michael Mitchell
mul21
Admin
GregC
Mark B
Vivian
Kenny B.
Schuey
Matt W
John Kilpatrick
Natalie
Neil Ruggiero
Mike MacLellan
Jerry
Seth Harrison
Dave-O
40 posters

Page 9 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

Closer to the Edge - Page 9 Empty Re: Closer to the Edge

Post  Dave-O Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:55 am

fostever wrote: Funny! Ahhh, so you and Schuey have kind of parallel universes so to speak both playing football collegiately.

Even worse, we played for two of the biggest rivals in the State. My alma mater, Providence, has 9 state titles and 3 runner-ups. Mt. Carmel, Schuey's school, has 10 state titles and 4 runner-ups. The biggest crowd I ever played in front of was against Mt. Carmel in the state title my junior year. Bad guy won, 28-3, thus depriving me ever winning a state title (lost my senior year 14-12 in State semis).

healdgator wrote:You can't control judges or juries, all you can do is your job. It is a miserable aspect of the job though.

In the end, I think the jury probably got it right. I did all I could.

Matt W wrote:

I'd put way more stock in your last long run (Last 8 averaged 5:50???!!!!!!) than I would in that race after a high stress week. You are as ready as you've ever been and I fully expect you to have the race of your life. You are ready for a great marathon. I hope the last few days bring you to the starting line ready for the best 2.5 hours of your life (as far as running is concerned). Go rock it on race day.

Well, I don't want to act like 5:50 felt like "long run" pace. I was working. Not tempo-like working, but focused on keeping the pace.

Jim Lentz wrote:That is impressive to be able to run that kind of run on the treadmill. I can do pretty well on the treadmill, but knocking out the run like you did shows great focus. I always find it easier to focus outside than I do on the treadmill. There is also typically the factor of very poor airflow/cooling on the treadmill.

For some reason I have an easy time locking into pace on the treadmill. Its like I can stop worrying about any outside factor other than every stride - and playing air drums.
Dave-O
Dave-O

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt W Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:10 am

Dave-O wrote:

Matt W wrote:

I'd put way more stock in your last long run (Last 8 averaged 5:50???!!!!!!) than I would in that race after a high stress week. You are as ready as you've ever been and I fully expect you to have the race of your life. You are ready for a great marathon. I hope the last few days bring you to the starting line ready for the best 2.5 hours of your life (as far as running is concerned). Go rock it on race day.

Well, I don't want to act like 5:50 felt like "long run" pace. I was working. Not tempo-like working, but focused on keeping the pace.

Still, that bodes well for an impressive marathon performance. You are ready. Trust your training and gear up mentally. Take care of everything you can control and don't stress about the rest. This is your time to shine.

Dave O wrote:
Jim Lentz wrote:That is impressive to be able to run that kind of run on the treadmill. I can do pretty well on the treadmill, but knocking out the run like you did shows great focus. I always find it easier to focus outside than I do on the treadmill. There is also typically the factor of very poor airflow/cooling on the treadmill.

For some reason I have an easy time locking into pace on the treadmill. Its like I can stop worrying about any outside factor other than every stride - and playing air drums.

That almost requires you to post a video of air drums on the TM. Was it during your last 8 miles? Smile
Matt W
Matt W
Poster
Poster

http://www.redrockrunningcompany.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:35 pm

I hope you were at the game today. Has Forte ever run for 200 yards before?

Good luck next weekend. I'm sorry I can't be there to see some great performances.
Diego
Diego
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:51 pm

Diego wrote:I hope you were at the game today. Has Forte ever run for 200 yards before?

Good luck next weekend. I'm sorry I can't be there to see some great performances.

I was there, and I think that was his first 200 yard game. It was nice to see the Bears able to run the ball. Monday Night Football against the Lions is suddenly a huge game, since apparently no team can finish the Lions off. Consecutive 20 point comebacks? Yeeash.
Dave-O
Dave-O

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:54 pm

Chicago Training, Week 16: September 25 – October 2

Monday: 6 miles – 43:30, 7:15 pace.
Tuesday: 4 miles – 29:40, 7:25 pace. 10 miles – 1:02:05 with 12 x 200.
Wednesday: 4 miles – 30:28, 7:37 pace. 6 miles – 44:14, 7:22 pace.
Thursday: 10 miles – 1:07:14 with 3 x 1 mile.
Friday: 4 miles – untimed
Saturday: 12 miles – 1:14:23, 6:12 pace
Sunday: 4 miles – untimed.

Week: 60
YTD: 3,309

I never get why runners complain about taper. Fresh legs? More free time? No doubles? That all sounds quite appealing to me. This week was no different.

Monday through Wednesday was mostly easy miles, with 12 repeats of 200m the only exception. And I wouldn’t call that speed a workout. It was essentially just a glorified set of strides. As I sharpen for race day, I felt the need to log another neuromuscular workout to help with my leg speed. After the workout, I unexpectedly ran the 3 miles home at marathon pace. I felt really good so I rolled with it.

Thursday was the usual blow-out-the-pipes workout of 3 x 1 miles. I ran it on the same stretch of 1 mile lakefront path as I did last year, and ran very similar splits to last year: 4:52, 4:54, and 4:53. While consistent, I don’t think I could have run a 4th at the same spent. I was spent. That is, however, the point of the workout. I promptly took an ice bath and ate pasta afterwards to properly recover.

Saturday was my last “long” run – a 12 mile moderate run. Like last weekend’s 18 miler, I started off at normal long run pace but soon settled into a low 6 pace. My legs felt fresh and smooth. Instead of worrying about hitting MP for the last few miles, I ran almost the whole run at a moderate pace. If I know one thing for sure, it’s that my aerobic fitness is there.

I celebrated a good friend's 30th birthday Sunday at the Bears game, and I realized that I was just seven days away from my last race in the 25-29 age group. Nothing left to do now but wait.
Dave-O
Dave-O

Back to top Go down

Post  wendy_miller Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:06 pm

I'm just catching up on blogs, Dave...but it looks like you've had yet another great cycle.

As for taper...my problem with it is that my legs do NOT feel fresh during taper. The opposite--they feel dead. My legs actually hurt when I'm tapering. Leads to lots of injury anxiety! But I know for a lot of people it's a more pleasant experience.

So true that all we've left to do is wait. Hay is in the barn...have a good race!
wendy_miller
wendy_miller

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:08 pm

Dave-O wrote:
Diego wrote:I hope you were at the game today. Has Forte ever run for 200 yards before?

I was there, and I think that was his first 200 yard game. It was nice to see the Bears able to run the ball. Monday Night Football against the Lions is suddenly a huge game, since apparently no team can finish the Lions off. Consecutive 20 point comebacks? Yeeash.

I'm close to already winning our bet on Lions wins!
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:10 pm

Chris M wrote:

I'm close to already winning our bet on Lions wins!

Ugh. Don't remind me. Those jokers should be 2-2, but Minny and Dallas both pissed away big leads. Yup, that bet is yours.
Dave-O
Dave-O

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:10 pm

wendy_miller wrote:I'm just catching up on blogs, Dave...but it looks like you've had yet another great cycle.

As for taper...my problem with it is that my legs do NOT feel fresh during taper. The opposite--they feel dead. My legs actually hurt when I'm tapering. Leads to lots of injury anxiety! But I know for a lot of people it's a more pleasant experience.

So true that all we've left to do is wait. Hay is in the barn...have a good race!

They'll feel lively when it matters though. Trust the process. (I seem to be saying that a lot lately).

Same to you!
Dave-O
Dave-O

Back to top Go down

Post  Lauren Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:06 pm

Just dropping in Dave to wish you the best of luck. Wish I could be a spectator this year in Chicago-you all are going to do great things. Can't wait to hear about it!
Lauren
Lauren

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:54 am

Hey Dave-O, have you ever seen a HS FB player score 3 TDs on 3 consecutive plays?

One of our HS kids intercepted a pass on the last play of the first half, wove his way back and forth across the field for a 66 yd TD that changed the game. On the ensuing kickoff to start the 2nd half he scored an 80 yd TD. After the next kickoff, he intercepted a pass on the first play and ran that back for a TD.

He almost scored another TD when he picked up a fumble and returned it to the 10 yd line. Crazy!!! And it all happened during Homecoming.
Diego
Diego
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:07 am

Good luck this weekend Dave!! I know that you are itching to run this thing. I have a feeling that good things are gonna happen...
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:26 am

Good luck out there this weekend, Dave. I think Sunday has got "PR" written all over it.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  healdgator Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:38 pm

Good luck, Dave!
healdgator
healdgator
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:47 pm

Kill it, Dave. You deserve it more than anyone else.
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:52 pm

Have a great race, Dave!
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  jon c Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:22 am

Hope that it all falls into place for you on race day Dave!
jon c
jon c
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Joel H Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:48 am

Good luck Dave, now send off your 20s in style by crushing it on Sunday!
Joel H
Joel H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:35 am

Dave, good luck on Sunday, You train so hard, I really want you to do well on Sunday.
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:31 pm

Good luck on Sunday, Dave-O. I hope to see bibs 86 and 87(Pablo on RWOL for those who don't know) side by side running up Roosevelt on Sunday.
Diego
Diego
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:36 pm

Have a great race, Dave!
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:41 pm

Diego wrote:Hey Dave-O, have you ever seen a HS FB player score 3 TDs on 3 consecutive plays?

One of our HS kids intercepted a pass on the last play of the first half, wove his way back and forth across the field for a 66 yd TD that changed the game. On the ensuing kickoff to start the 2nd half he scored an 80 yd TD. After the next kickoff, he intercepted a pass on the first play and ran that back for a TD.

He almost scored another TD when he picked up a fumble and returned it to the 10 yd line. Crazy!!! And it all happened during Homecoming.

Ha nope...never seen that. I saw a RB score 8 rushing TDs in a game, but never on 3 consecutive plays in that fashion. Even Devin Hester would be impressed!
Dave-O
Dave-O

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:45 pm

Lauren, Nick, Mark, Heald, Jerry, Jim, John, Joel, John, Diego and Julie - Many thanks for the well-wishes! Much appreciate and I'll think about 'em during the rough patches that inevitably surface in every race. I'm ready to race already!

I did my last workout last night: 8 miles with 4 at goal pace. For the first MP mile, I intentionally didn't look at my watch, and instead focused on running comfortably. When it beeped I guess 5:58 in my head. Wrong - 5:39! Um, yup, my legs are tapered. It was the easiest 5:40 mile I've ever run. I followed with 5:45, 5:42 and 5:38. I felt smooth as can be.

I know that breaking 2:30 is going to take perfect execution and a great day, but I've put myself in position to make it happen.
Dave-O
Dave-O

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:54 pm

mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:59 pm

Dave i will see you before Sunday but hey man best wishes on reaching your goals! Your ready for it buddy just go out and get it done! Believe

Great to hear the legs felt great yesterday.

Last edited by Schuey on Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next