365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What's a good speed workout during race week?

+8
fostever
Chris M
mul21
Mike MacLellan
Michele "1L" Keane
Dave-O
Jerry
Alex Kubacki
12 posters

Go down

What's a good speed workout during race week? Empty What's a good speed workout during race week?

Post  Alex Kubacki Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:25 pm

The weekend after this I'm doing a 30K. I'm not racing it 100% just somewhere around MP. I'm currently 3 weeks into my VO2 phase for speed workouts with doing intervals of 1/2M up to 1M repeats at 5K pace. I'm looking for a good speed workout for next week with the race on Sunday. Thanks for any suggestions.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

What's a good speed workout during race week? Empty Re: What's a good speed workout during race week?

Post  Jerry Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:22 pm

I would 800mi interval @5k pace or maybe slower, but only 4 repeats. In other words, as soon as I feel good about myself, I go home. Race week, all workouts are mental.

But if I didn't race 100%, I would just continue on my normal vo2max session. Very Happy
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

What's a good speed workout during race week? Empty Re: What's a good speed workout during race week?

Post  Dave-O Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:34 pm

My former coach always prescribed the following workout 4-5 days before a race:

1 mile all out
1k at same pace
800m at same pace

He believed it provides a V02Max boost. I always felt it was a little too hard during race week, but if you're not running the 30k all-out, perhaps this would be a good one for you.
Dave-O
Dave-O

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:50 pm

I like Dave-O's workout, but the week of my half, I did the following: 2 x 1 mile @ 5k pace followed by 2 x 800m at slightly faster. This was after a 1 mile warm up, each repeat was followed by 400m, and then I warmed down with a mile.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:20 pm

Dave, is "all-out" approximately vVO2max?
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:32 pm

Mike MacLellan wrote:Dave, is "all-out" approximately vVO2max?

Depends on how much you want it to hurt!

It depends on who's research you like. From reading different stuff, it looks like a mile all out for you is not going to hit your vVO2 max since I imagine you'd be in the low 5:00 range. All the research points to 6:00 or 8-11 minutes as the time period where you'll reach that vVO2 max level. Here's a thread that sheds some light on it:

http://www.letsrun.com/forum/flat_read.php?thread=2255966
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:42 pm

There's some workout I've read about that people swear by for the days or maybe even day before the marathon. It some kind of very short but SUPER intense run designed to spark your VO2max level and then you eat carbs the second you finish as part of the process. I'll hunt around for it but do any of you have familarity with what I'm talking about?
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:31 pm

I'd stick with what is on your schedule. If you do 2 speed per week scrap the one that is closest to a MP run and the race will fill that slot. If the other is intervals reduce them by the percentage the race is over your scheduled weekly MP run. In other works stick with your training schedule as much as possible, no need to do some special workout for a training run race.
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Bussard Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:05 pm

We (training partner & I) usually do a track workout/tempo run on Tuesdays and a long run or race on Saturdays, April thru October. We really don't change anything race week. Three full days recovery is usually enough. Paces change depending on the time of year and key upcoming race. The track-work is usually at about race pace or just under.

So I would say to just run usual weekly workout but be sure to build in enough recovery days to assure you'll have some legs on race day.
Dave Bussard
Dave Bussard
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  wrichman Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:51 pm

Dave-O wrote:My former coach always prescribed the following workout 4-5 days before a race:

1 mile all out
1k at same pace
800m at same pace

He believed it provides a V02Max boost. I always felt it was a little too hard during race week, but if you're not running the 30k all-out, perhaps this would be a good one for you.

does said coach have initials BL?
wrichman
wrichman
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:01 am

Did I read this right? You are running an 18 mile marathon pace race? That's a pretty tough workout, more than almost any program calls for.
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:55 am

Chris M wrote:There's some workout I've read about that people swear by for the days or maybe even day before the marathon. It some kind of very short but SUPER intense run designed to spark your VO2max level and then you eat carbs the second you finish as part of the process. I'll hunt around for it but do any of you have familarity with what I'm talking about?

Its called the Aussie carb load workout. I have to run to Court and don't remember the details off the top of my head, but I'll find it when I get back.
Dave-O
Dave-O

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:56 am

mul21 wrote:

Depends on how much you want it to hurt!

It depends on who's research you like. From reading different stuff, it looks like a mile all out for you is not going to hit your vVO2 max since I imagine you'd be in the low 5:00 range. All the research points to 6:00 or 8-11 minutes as the time period where you'll reach that vVO2 max level. Here's a thread that sheds some light on it:

http://www.letsrun.com/forum/flat_read.php?thread=2255966

Yes, this is a good point. You would have to be a sub-5 miler to get the max benefit. Last time I did it I ran 4:35, which is still my mile PR to date. I'm debating whether to try it again before my next 5k.

wrichman wrote:
does said coach have initials BL?

Yes ma'am.
Dave-O
Dave-O

Back to top Go down

Post  Ben Z Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:19 pm

I'd stick to your schedule too. 3 days of easy running should be plenty of time to recover for a race you are not treating as your main race of the season

And if you can really run 18.6 miles at goal race pace now you are doing awesome. I would rethink your time goal if you hit it. Conversely, I wouldn't get discouraged if you fall off in the middle. That's a very hard workout with no taper. Very hard.
Ben Z
Ben Z
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:05 am

Thanks everyone. I never planned on deviating much from what I was going to do. I just wanted to see if people do anything different for speed during a race week. I'll probably go with what Michele had down. It's similiar to what I would have done anyway.

John, I'm running this on feel. I'll have 12 weeks to my goal marathon so I'm not worried about extending myself.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down