365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lost a week - modify training one week prior to race

5 posters

Go down

Lost a week - modify training one week prior to race Empty Lost a week - modify training one week prior to race

Post  Stephanie Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:01 pm

So it looks like I am going to live through this nasty flu I contracted 2 weeks before my first half. I lost an entire week of running... didn't do a thing other than sleep. I now have exactly one week left before race day and I am wondering how I should modify my running this week. Tomorrow will be my first run since being ill and it's supposed to be 8 miles. I am thinking about only doing 4 to ease back into things and to not further stress my system in case I am not 100% just yet. What do you recommend I do with the rest of this week? I hope to salvage what I can without losing even more fitness while not taxing myself to much to ensure I am well-rested for the race. Luckily I did manage to get in my last 12 miler right before I got sick. It was a near perfect training program and these last 2 weeks were not what I bargained for.

Happy New Years Everyone!!
Stephanie
Stephanie
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Lost a week - modify training one week prior to race Empty Re: Lost a week - modify training one week prior to race

Post  JohnP Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:49 pm

Happy New Year. It's a fine line you're walking. Are you going for a PR or fast as you can race? You might want to do a harder workout Monday/Tuesday then follow the rest of the week as planned. If you're looking to just finish or not over-exert yourself, then take it a bit easier this week. If I remember right, you had a number of running injuries/issues before so running a solid race should be a victory in itself. Good luck and if you sense you're not really recovered, take it easy.
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Lost a week - modify training one week prior to race Empty Re: Lost a week - modify training one week prior to race

Post  Stephanie Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:06 pm

JohnP wrote:Happy New Year. It's a fine line you're walking. Are you going for a PR or fast as you can race? You might want to do a harder workout Monday/Tuesday then follow the rest of the week as planned. If you're looking to just finish or not over-exert yourself, then take it a bit easier this week. If I remember right, you had a number of running injuries/issues before so running a solid race should be a victory in itself. Good luck and if you sense you're not really recovered, take it easy.
You are correct about a previous injury so it's been a really long road for me to get to this race. Ultimately I am looking to just finish but I hope to race it as well and to the best of my ability as possible. I don't plan on having anything left in the tank when I finish. That being said, this is my first half, so I can always aim to do better in my next one in May. Smile
Stephanie
Stephanie
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:22 am

Just do some easy running and maybe some short strides. Good to hear you are feeling better. Just relax, since this is your first half, focus on finishing, it's going to be a PR no matter what. Give yourself room for new PR's in the future, just enjoy the experience. Happy New year and good luck Stephanie! You'll do fine.
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Stephanie Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:48 pm

fostever wrote:Just do some easy running and maybe some short strides. Good to hear you are feeling better. Just relax, since this is your first half, focus on finishing, it's going to be a PR no matter what. Give yourself room for new PR's in the future, just enjoy the experience. Happy New year and good luck Stephanie! You'll do fine.
Thanks for the encouragement! This sounds like a good plan!
Stephanie
Stephanie
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  mountandog Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:57 pm

+1
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:53 pm

+2!

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down