365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hills on the treadmill

+3
T Miller
Mike MacLellan
Bob
7 posters

Go down

Hills on the treadmill Empty Hills on the treadmill

Post  Bob Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:10 pm

If were to do a long run (>10 miles) at long run pace on a treadmill and wanting to add hills into it, should I slow the t'mill down on the uphills, or am I leaving it at the same pace?

Trying to work in some classic Schuey workouts in training for Boston.
Bob
Bob
Lord Bobby
Lord Bobby

Back to top Go down

Hills on the treadmill Empty Re: Hills on the treadmill

Post  Mike MacLellan Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:15 pm

If you want to simulate race day, simulate race day. If you plan on keeping consistent pace, keep consistent pace. If you plan on slowing on the ups and speeding on the downs, slow on the ups. Smile
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  T Miller Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:22 pm

I would slow it down on the uphills. I think the primary work for Boston is to practice running fast downhill. It really tears up your quads if you're not used to it but I think it can make it a fast course if you are ready for it. See you in Boston Bobby.
T Miller
T Miller
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:03 pm

I think it depends on the purpose of the run. If you are incorporating "hill repeats" then either increase the speed or leave the same. That goes for me if I'm running a tempo or pace run of an hour or so. If you are just adding hills to a normal run, then slow it down to maintain the same effort.

Not sure what Schuey does, and I'm lucky enough to live in hill country and even when I move back to Cleveland, there is a good hill down and up to the lake about 1 mile away. I never really do hill work on the mill, but that is how I run them in training.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:42 pm

I try to do that when the roads are icy. For me, if I am doing up to about 3% incline, then I try to keep the pace the same. If I push the incline to 3.5% or higher, I have to slow it a bit or my HR gets too high. Mainly I've noticed that at 6% or more, it really becomes more of an effort so I slow down more for those.
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:49 pm

If your goal is to strenthen your quads, then I would leave it the same.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:41 am

On the treadmill I normally keep the pace the same no matter if I'm doing inclines or declines. I will post you some more useful information later on I have to get a run in and have a few other things that I need to take care of this morning before I go into work this evening. I had more information for you in a post but I lost it some how when I tried to edit it.
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down