365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Strides on a Treadmill

+4
Bob
Michael Enright
Dave-O
Alex Kubacki
8 posters

Go down

Strides on a Treadmill Empty Strides on a Treadmill

Post  Alex Kubacki Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:45 am

Anybody do strides on a treadmill? How do you do them? It's not like the speed of the belt immediately jumps to a much higher pace after you hit the speed button. Do you extend the total time of the stride to compensate? Thanks.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Strides on a Treadmill Empty Re: Strides on a Treadmill

Post  Dave-O Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:53 pm

I stand on the side rails, crank the treadmill to 5:00 pace, hop on for 10-15 seconds, then use the handrails to hop off for about 30 seconds, leaving the speed at 12 mph. Repeat 8-10 times.

It sounds harder than it is, but if you get hurt, I disclaim all liability. Very Happy
Dave-O
Dave-O

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:55 pm

Timely thread, as I was thinking about exactly this while on the treadmill last night, looking forward to a long winter on it.

I'm going to try the "stand on the rails" thing sometime soon (though not at 5:00!). I better be careful about it - there is a giant brick fireplace directly behind the treadmill!
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:03 pm

Just use the handrails until your legs get up to speed.
Dave-O
Dave-O

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Bob Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:53 pm

I think Hal is one who describes "strides" as a gradual increase in speed, reaching full speed, then slowing back down to normal. That would seem to be perfect for cranking up the mill, then lowering the speed.

If you did strides that way.
Bob
Bob
Lord Bobby
Lord Bobby

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:44 am

Dave-O wrote:I stand on the side rails, crank the treadmill to 5:00 pace, hop on for 10-15 seconds, then use the handrails to hop off for about 30 seconds, leaving the speed at 12 mph. Repeat 8-10 times.

It sounds harder than it is, but if you get hurt, I disclaim all liability. Very Happy

Well Dave you won't have to do that with my new treadmill when you come over to use it!

ZipSpeed™️ and ZipIncline™️

With the swipe of a finger, adjust your speed and incline/decline right on the touch screen. Ideal for interval training and Fartleks, the ZipSpeed™️ and ZipIncline™️ bars make big speed/incline changes from 1 to 15 MPH and -6% decline to 20% incline without breaking your stride.
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:51 am

Schuey wrote:
Dave-O wrote:I stand on the side rails, crank the treadmill to 5:00 pace, hop on for 10-15 seconds, then use the handrails to hop off for about 30 seconds, leaving the speed at 12 mph. Repeat 8-10 times.

Well Dave you won't have to do that with my new treadmill when you come over to use it!

With the swipe of a finger, adjust your speed and incline/decline right on the touch screen. Ideal for interval training and Fartleks, the ZipSpeed™️ and ZipIncline™️ bars make big speed/incline changes from 1 to 15 MPH and -6% decline to 20% incline without breaking your stride.

Show off.

Jumping up & down also trains agility and speed. Dave may go back play football. lol!
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  dot520 Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:39 am

Wow, Shuey! I was so proud of my -3% treadmill...........sigh
dot520
dot520
Top 10 Poster Emeritus
Top 10 Poster Emeritus

Back to top Go down

Post  wrichman Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:17 pm

Schuey wrote:

I want one! how to convince the husband. hmmm. plotting...

On strides on TM - I do like Dave (except mine are at least one minute slower). Just BE CAREFUL! My friend fell off doing them and dislocated his shoulder.
wrichman
wrichman
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down