365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Okay, seriously, how do I get rid of runner's knee?

+13
Ken Cushing
Nick Morris
healdgator
Schuey
mul21
Diego
Chris Coleman
Jeff F
Michele "1L" Keane
Seth Harrison
Jerry
John Kilpatrick
Mike MacLellan
17 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Okay, seriously, how do I get rid of runner's knee? - Page 2 Empty Re: Okay, seriously, how do I get rid of runner's knee?

Post  mountandog Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:54 pm

Alex Kubacki wrote:
Michele "1L" Keane wrote:He was an Olympic speed skater who won several gold medals and cyclist.

Yep, US cycling champion as well as the 5 Gold Medals in speed skating. I don't think people truly appreciate how amazing his Olympic accomplishment really is. He won everything from the 500m up to the 10,000m.

I have an autographed version of this. He also set 4 Olympic records. He is now an orthopedic surgeon.....might be the right guy to call!!

Okay, seriously, how do I get rid of runner's knee? - Page 2 Eriche14
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Okay, seriously, how do I get rid of runner's knee? - Page 2 Empty Re: Okay, seriously, how do I get rid of runner's knee?

Post  fostever Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:35 am

Jerry wrote:I could be wrong as English is just my 2nd language, but it seems to get ride of runner in grammar? scratch
rid, Jerry, rid! Don't worry I'll learn ya!Laughing
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:56 am

Just watched 2 minutes of Jerry video and doctor Foster says, "Mike you running too much." I think his first sentence summed it up. So less running and more core and hip strengthening should do it. These injuries tend to teach us our personal limits. One month of physical therapy with deducibles and co-insurance payments is a great teacher, trust me!
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:12 pm

Update:

I've avoided any "training" since my last bike ride. I think that was Wednesday.
I have, however, done a couple core workouts (not sure they're enough to call "workouts," but it's a start) as well as those wall slides (4 sets of 10 with 5sec down, 5sec pause, 5sec up). The slides did begin to "strain" my knee(s) a little bit coming up, so I lessened the depth of the squat and moved my feet a bit further from the wall.
I have had no pain in either knee, however, and I've done a reasonable amount of walking - enough to trigger it a week or two ago.

I'm going to do a test on the bike today. 17.75 miles near school, which is flat and will probably take just over an hour at low effort. I figure if the knee flares up around 40-45 minutes, as it's been doing, then I only have a couple miles before I can call it quits.

I don't plan on running until I get a few more strength sessions in on my legs - probably another week.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:20 pm

Thanks for the update Mike and good luck on the rehabbing!!
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:28 am

The bike ride didn't go well. Back to the drawing board (aka couch).
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:18 am

Blechhh. Sorry Mike, hang in there...

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:44 am

GO TO THE EFFING DOCTOR! It's probably a simple fix that a few exercises will take care of. Quit being a stubborn jackass!
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:11 am

When I have had knee pain it has been caused by tight IT bands.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:44 am

Jim - We're one step away from that.

Other Jim - Been stretching them. As well as everything else. Seems that the tendons behind my knee/my hamstrings get tight when my knee pain starts, too.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:53 am

Mike MacLellan wrote:Jim - We're one step away from that.

Other Jim - Been stretching them. As well as everything else. Seems that the tendons behind my knee/my hamstrings get tight when my knee pain starts, too.

Mike, never mind the rec for Eric Heiden--he moved to Park City Utah. Must like the powder there better.

Look up popliteus stain and see if that fits. The one legged steps ups/downs and to the side mean no contact with the other uninjured foot--it's great for the ankle, hip and knee
Diego
Diego
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:53 pm

mul21 wrote:GO TO THE EFFING DOCTOR! It's probably a simple fix that a few exercises will take care of. Quit being a stubborn jackass!

+1

As much as I hate the doctor, I have to agree with Jim on this one...Dude, see a doctor about this...
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2