365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Knee strength and stairs?

+4
Glenn
charles
mul21
KathyK
8 posters

Go down

Knee strength and stairs? Empty Knee strength and stairs?

Post  KathyK Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:40 pm

I'm wondering if there might be any correlation between my recent knee pain and the fact that I'm no longer 'officed' on the 5th floor. I didn't start having any knee issues when I ran UNTIL my office was moved down from the fifth floor to the first floor, and I no longer climbed the 5 flights multiple times a day. Does it make any sense at all that the two are connected?

I'd begun having knee issues after my move to the first floor, which in turn must have impacted my stride a bit, which, I'm betting led to my recent calf strain. I'm wondering if I should begin working in a few trips to the 5th floor into my work day to keep my knees strong?

Just a theory. What do you think?
KathyK
KathyK
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Knee strength and stairs? Empty Re: Knee strength and stairs?

Post  mul21 Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:35 pm

I'd bet it might have something to do with it. Just working all those stabilizer muscles that don't get used in running could make the difference. I'd make a few trips up and down the stairs a few days a week and see if that makes a difference in how the knees are feeling. So strange that a little change like that in a normal everyday activity that you didn't even think about could make a difference that big.

The other thing you could do is try some hill sprints, but I'd go with the stairs first since you're feeling some niggles at the moment.
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  charles Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:44 pm

My running "mentor" always prescribes the stairclimber for any injury.
charles
charles
Poster
Poster

http://www.memphis-defense.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Glenn Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:30 pm

It makes sense to me. I would start taking daily 5th floor detours and see what happens.
Glenn
Glenn
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mrs. Schuey Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:42 pm

Kathy, I agree with Jim in working the stabilizer muscles. I have had issues off and on with my right knee. Martin set up a 3 day a week strength/core training program which he includes step ups and giant walking lunges. I've found that any remaining knee pain I had is gone.

Sometimes what I do while sitting at my desk at work is with one foot flat on the ground, I will extend the other leg straight out, return to starting position without letting my foot touch the ground, extend, return, etc....this works the quads and those stabilizer muscles surrounding the knee.
Mrs. Schuey
Mrs. Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:35 am

Makes complete sense to me. Climbing stairs is like doing shallow, one-legged squats. +1 for steep hill sprints.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  KathyK Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:00 pm

Thanks all, for your thoughts on this! Because of my calf issue (that I believe was a result of my knee issues), I haven't been able to run in over a week. When I was going up the stairs to the 5th floor for a meeting, I had an ah ha moment. Thanks for confirming that that NOT having to climb the 5 flights of stairs multiple times a day might have led to the seemingly sudden onset of knee issues.

When I can run again, I'll work on those hill repeats. In the meantime, I'll work a few trips up to the 5th floor into my work day!

Thanks! flower
KathyK
KathyK
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Mello Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:07 pm

Have you ever done exercises on a Bosu? I've had issues with weak ankles as well as calf problems, and I have to say that doing Bosu exercises a few days a week has really helped. Might be a nice way to supplement strength, and keep those muscles in shape.
Ken Mello
Ken Mello
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  ChasMcG Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:06 am

Running stairs has made me a stronger runner and I tend to lift my legs more instead of that shuffle thing. So yes, I believe it helps stride. Your stride is off now so that would cause knee pain.
ChasMcG
ChasMcG
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down