365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Amanda's First Marathon

+10
JohnP
Jerry
Jeff F
John Kilpatrick
Randy E
Michele "1L" Keane
Seth Harrison
nkrichards
charles.moman
amyjoann
14 posters

Go down

Amanda's First Marathon Empty Amanda's First Marathon

Post  amyjoann Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:48 pm

We will start with training I first chose Hal's intermediate plan because Amanda had done several half's and had a pretty good running base. It started out fine with the lower mileage ,but as the long runs increased injuries began to occur.First an old basketball injury with the ankle starting to pop kept happening on runs over 8 miles.Then she had a very painful wierd foot injury she said it felt like an acorn was stuck in the middle of her foot, wierd. So I decided we would go very conservative and do Hal's novice. the long runs never did go very well ,but we finished the training.

Race day came and we were very excited! Weather was perfect! We had a big crew with us.My friend Tracey was running the half,Amandas friend Mary was running her first half marathon.My husband Scott came with and my other daughter Madeline goes to school at Butler and the marathon runs right by her dorm so she planned on running the last 8 with us.

The full and the half marathon runs together for the first 7 miles then the halfs leave us. We took some pics before race, but it was pretty dark outside and we arrived kinda late the hotel was further than we thought oh well. We started together and stayed with each other for the first 7 miles. We saw my husband at mile 3,I danced with some people cheering us on I was feeling great at this point! I had to keep reminding the girls to slow down a little bit our goal was 10:30,and we were doing tens oops! The first 6 miles felt like nothing ,I was hoping it would all go this way .We were averaging 10:15-10:30's and feeling great! then it happened No .At mile 6 my daughter Amanda said I think I need to use the porta pot,I said go ahead there's one right here use it. there was a little line and she didn't want to wait so I thought no big deal must not be that bad. Five minutes later she said I have to go now! She thought she saw a porta a pot ahead and took of in a sprint.I told her I would catch her at the bathroom.My husband was at mile 7 also and looked a little concerned since he saw Amanda sprinting to the bathroom.

After that game over, poor kid, every couple miles she had to stop ,it really took a toll on her. I was worried she would be dehydrated,we knew at mile 17 we would see Madeline and that was a big help, after mile 11 we were already run walking ,but the day was so beautiful and my daughter just really wanted to finish so we kept plugging along.We talked to a few people around us and that helped. Amanda's foot really started to bother her a lot. After mile 17 we picked up Madeline and she lifted our spirits a lot.

Amanda stopped with the bathroom breaks finally so that was good.At mile 20 my husband and Amandas friend Mary met us and walked run with us a bit that was real nice.It was painful and ugly but we did finish. I really hurt a lot, being out there so long ,but it was so awesome to run with both my daughters . I wouldn't trade that experience for anything.

Amanda and I finished together but apparently she finished one second ahead of me:scratch: .

We are going to heal from this one and I'm pretty sure she will be running another one to beat that time.

We finished in 5:50ish, thanks for reading ,have a great Turkey day.I will be racing against the family tomorrow I hope I can get them
amyjoann
amyjoann
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Amanda's First Marathon Empty Re: Amanda's First Marathon

Post  charles.moman Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:32 pm

I finished only 3 minutes before you - I was really running so much faster! Embarassed
Not!

I am sure we did see each other, but did not realize it.
I really took it easy those last few miles because of my hamstrings.
Hopefully they will cooperate at the Tecumseh, despite the fact that I have not had time for hill training. I will just walk them like a lot of folks will be doing and get through it.

Congratulations for finishing. I think we got our money's worth by being out there so long! Laughing
charles.moman
charles.moman
Regular
Regular

http://www.charlesmoman.com

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:01 pm

Yes, running with family can be pretty special. Good to hear you're all looking forward to the next one.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:20 pm

Congratulations to Amanda on becoming a marathoner and congratulations to you on making it a true family affair. What a great day for all of you!
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:45 pm

Congrats to you all - what a fun experience despite the potty issue. I'll never get my daughter to run even a step with me - so I'm very jealous.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Randy E Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:44 am

Congrats Amanda.
Randy E
Randy E
Poster
Poster

http://www.eggefinancial.com

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:47 am

nkrichards wrote:Yes, running with family can be pretty special. Good to hear you're all looking forward to the next one.

+1 Congrats to her on the 1st!

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeff F Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:26 am

What a great experience...thanks for sharing!
Jeff F
Jeff F
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:54 am

Congratulations!
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:52 pm

Congratulations to you and Amanda. Too bad she had to stop so often like that but she's a marathoner now!
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cushing Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:24 am

Congratulations! It's always funner with family!
Ken Cushing
Ken Cushing

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:48 pm

So true. Family makes the miles turn into smiles.

Gratz to the lot of y'all.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:47 am

Congrats to Amanda.
Dave-O
Dave-O

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave P Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:54 am

Congrats to you all! It usually gets better after the first one.
Dave P
Dave P
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down