365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Building A Better Bumblebee

+11
Michele "1L" Keane
Julie
Dave P
mul21
nkrichards
Mike MacLellan
T Miller
Nick Morris
Tim C
Tom H
mountandog
15 posters

Page 36 of 40 Previous  1 ... 19 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next

Go down

1 - Building A Better Bumblebee - Page 36 Empty Re: Building A Better Bumblebee

Post  ounce Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:01 pm

We are interested as well and that you started your NW head acclimitization, as well.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:00 pm

ounce wrote:We are interested as well and that you started your NW head acclimitization, as well.

scratch scratch scratch

Okay, you got me on that one. Head acclimatization? Y'all mean "heat"?

Suspect Suspect Suspect

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:13 pm

Run: 3.36 miles

Weather: Overcast, cool, breezy. 56° Gear: Testers, shorts, T.

My legs have been sore in weird places (transferring shoe discomfort up the kinetic chain? Maybe), so I was unsure about the run this morning. I was happy when the soreness and creaks eased up once I started running.

I would have gone farther but got called on a refi and walked for a distance while talking with the loan offier. After I hung up, I popped a U-turn and headed home to do some paperwork. It was probably best to not push my luck, and it let me push the pace a little bit.

Walked first and last 5 minutes. Average HR for entire run: 123. Max 161

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:43 am

XT: Core and calves

Needed to get back to this. Been lazy lately, and that just won't do!

Sets of 3, 12-10-8 of:
-Modified side-leg lifts.
-Double-leg bridge "marching" while keeping pelvis steady.
-Supine leg lift, keeping my TA engaged and my pelvis aligned
-Prone leg lift, same as above
-Half-squat using theraband around knees.
-Side-step using theraband around knees.
-Single-leg heel raises.

Psoas stretches. (5-6 x 10 seconds left side, a few less on right side)

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:03 pm

Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:We are interested as well and that you started your NW head acclimitization, as well.

scratch scratch scratch

Suspect Suspect Suspect
you are quite right. 

I was trying to remember what title-for-an-evening at the paper you had a year or two ago.  Was it the medicinal pot editor or something like that?
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:30 pm

ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote:

scratch scratch scratch

Suspect Suspect Suspect
you are quite right. 

I was trying to remember what title-for-an-evening at the paper you had a year or two ago.  Was it the medicinal pot editor or something like that?

Something like that, yes. geek

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:34 pm

Walk: 2.6 miles

Weather: Overcast, cool, breezy.

A lunchtime walk at work. Trying to get miles on these testers, though I'm not a fan of them anymore. One of the risks (for me) and benefits (for them) of those long-term tests.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:57 pm

Mark B wrote:XT: Core and calves

Sets of 3, 12-10-8 of:
-Single-leg heel raises.

I to always seem to fail to make my core work a priority when things get busy.  Good to see you're back at it.

You really do take your responsibility at a tester serious!  Don't let those shoes mess up your body.  We don't need another injury time out.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:55 am

nkrichards wrote:
Mark B wrote:XT: Core and calves

Sets of 3, 12-10-8 of:
-Single-leg heel raises.

I to always seem to fail to make my core work a priority when things get busy.  Good to see you're back at it.

You really do take your responsibility at a tester serious!  Don't let those shoes mess up your body.  We don't need another injury time out.

No, we do not. As long as I can run in these shoes, I'll keep them. But if the problems start up while running, I'll send them back. I think I have four more weeks in them before they go back anyway. I'm doing a great job trashing them.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:57 am

Easy Run: 4.31 miles

Weather: Partly cloudy, cool. 46° Gear: Testers, shorts, T, jacket.

Out before work, hoping my luck holds and that these shoes don't cause problems while running. Worked out again today, which is good. I aimed for an easier run today, though I didn't really do a low HR run. My paces varied in thye upper 10s to about 11.

Walked first and lat 5 minutes. Average HR for entire run: 136. Max 152

Annd... since I was already nice and warmed up..

Sets of 3, 12-10-8 of:
-Single-leg heel raises.

Whew!

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:33 pm

Annd...

Walk: 2 miles

Weather: Overcast, 55°

Out at lunch, getting a couple more miles on the testers (and getting a good ache in my ankles).

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:47 pm

Mark B wrote:Easy Run: 4.31 miles

Weather: Partly cloudy, cool. 46° Gear: Testers, shorts, T, jacket.

Out before work, hoping my luck holds and that these shoes don't cause problems while running. Worked out again today, which is good. I aimed for an easier run today, though I didn't really do a low HR run. My paces varied in thye upper 10s to about 11.

Walked first and lat 5 minutes. Average HR for entire run: 136. Max 152

Annd... since I was already nice and warmed up..

Sets of 3, 12-10-8 of:
-Single-leg heel raises.

Whew!

Mark B wrote:Annd...

Walk: 2 miles

Weather: Overcast, 55°

Out at lunch, getting a couple more miles on the testers (and getting a good ache in my ankles).

WOW!  You've had a busy day.  Interesting that the shoes don't bother you when you run but are troublesome when you walk(??).

So I have a question for you.  A friend recommended NUUN electrolytes when I was having trouble with leg cramps last week.  It worked great...I've been using one tablet a day and not another problem since I started.  But when I ordered it I noticed that they offer more products than just the electrolytes.  Do you use Nuun for carbs as well?  Do you use the formula with caffeine?  What's your formula for success?

Speaking of caffeine...are you still off the coffee?  Has it helped resolve the issues you were trying to resolve?
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:16 pm

nkrichards wrote:WOW!  You've had a busy day.  Interesting that the shoes don't bother you when you run but are troublesome when you walk(??).

So I have a question for you.  A friend recommended NUUN electrolytes when I was having trouble with leg cramps last week.  It worked great...I've been using one tablet a day and not another problem since I started.  But when I ordered it I noticed that they offer more products than just the electrolytes.  Do you use Nuun for carbs as well?  Do you use the formula with caffeine?  What's your formula for success?

Speaking of caffeine...are you still off the coffee?  Has it helped resolve the issues you were trying to resolve?

Yep. I'm trying to get as much activity in as I can. They want a certain number of miles on the shoes every week for the test, so I want to make sure I achieve that target.

I can't go into a lot of detail about why walking causes problems while running doesn't, but it has to do with the fit and construction of this model of shoe. Probably works fine for most people, but they don't play well with my freaky feet.

I do use nuun sometimes, but only the electrolyte tablets. I also sometimes supplement them with an S-Cap an hour on longer efforts, or I just use an S-Cap with water. I haven't tried their carb- or caffeine-infused products. If I want calories, I usually go with a Gu or some real food, like a Picky Bar or granola bar. (That's only for ultra-level efforts; there's no way that'd make it through my digestive system on a more intense effort like a marathon or lower.)

Still off caffeine, and not really missing it. I've had fewer gut problems since I stopped, so I'm taking that as a good thing. Alita has cut way back, too, though she will occasionally have something if she needs to be on her toes for a crazy day with her students.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:58 pm

Aborted run: .36 miles walking

Weather: Partly cloudy, cool. 46° Gear: Testers (last time), shorts, T, jacket.

This run ended before it even got started. I was on my walking warm-up when my sore ankle (and now foot) made themselves known and I started wondering if an 8-miler was maybe not the smartest idea. So I paused, used my phone to get a photo of the back of my shoe and ankle to see if anything looked amiss...

Then gasped in horror. Removed the shoes. Walked home barefoot.

They're back in the mail to the manufacturer right now. They were cool about it. They don't want to injure testers, after all. I might even get a test of a different model in a few weeks. The biggest problem with these shoes was that they just didn't fit my foot shape. They're probably fine for the other 99.9 percent of the population that doesn't have feet shaped like mine.

I'll give my feet and ankles a couple days of rest, hoping that they settle down.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:45 pm

Run 1:

Low HR Run: 3.84 miles

Weather: Clear and cool. 41° Gear: Altra Instinct 3.5s, shorts, T, jacket, hat, gloves (shed as it warmed up)

Up this morning for what I hope will be the first of two runs today. This one was with my training partner, who is just getting back into running, for an easy ramble in the Salmon Creek Greenway. We did a bit of running with walking breaks, to keep from pushing it too hard. My HR average was low throughout.

My right foot and ankle is pretty angry at me for the abuse I gave it in those testers but I'm hopeful that these easier runs won't delay the healing process.

Hope to hit the trails later today with Alita.

Walked first 3 minutes or so, 5+ minutes at the end. Average HR for entire run: 117

Run 2:

Trail Run: 2.7 miles

Weather: Sunny and very warm. 78° Gear: Lone Peaks, shorts, T. Fuel: Carried water, took S-Cap

Back out for the second run of the day with sore feet and fatigued legs. Whee! Good practice, I suppose, for the later miles of an ultra. Alita wasn't feeling peppy either -- it's unusually hot today, and she and heat do not get along -- so we took it very easy, appreciating the shade of the forest. We agreed to cut it off at 2.7 miles.

Average HR for entire run: 118

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:10 pm

Doubles huh...you're getting serious about this training stuff.

I don't blame Alita.  I also wither in the heat...especially the first few warm days...and they arrived early this year!
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:17 pm

nkrichards wrote:Doubles huh...you're getting serious about this training stuff.

I don't blame Alita.  I also wither in the heat...especially the first few warm days...and they arrived early this year!

Serious? Well, I guess so. Mostly, I'm trying to get time in with both Alita and my longtime training partner, and Sunday is the only day I can do it. It took a bit out of me today, so we'll see how it goes.

One thing's for certain: I'm taking the next few days off. That lingering sore ankle and foot is really bugging me now. So I need to let it calm down before I make it more than just some tendinitis. No sense going off the rails at this point.

One new update: I got a *new* test. My analyst believes it'll be a better fit for me, so I was willing to give it a try. The twist is, they want 30 mpw on them (it was 25 on the previous pair), but since I'm supposed to be building up anyway, it should be okay. Well, at least it fits in with the general plan. What a Face

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:07 am

Note to self: Self, if a set of testers -- or any other piece of footwear -- consistently causes discomfort/aches/pain while being used... STOP USING THEM!

Yep. I've got a tender swollen spot on my medial arch just in front of the heel. And the ankle's generally sore, too. I've been icing and using ibu, but it's clear that I need to stop aggravating it to let it recover. No bruising or pain on movement, thankfully. But still. Bah.

Anyway, no running or long walks for the time being means I've got nothing to do but strength work, so...

Sets of 3, 12-10-8 of:
-Double-leg bridge "marching" while keeping pelvis steady. (Experimented with leg extensions)
-Supine leg lift, keeping TA engaged and pelvis aligned
-Ankle flexion using theraband.
-Double-leg heel raises.
-Single-leg heel raises.

Psoas stretches. (5-6 x 10 seconds left side, a few less on right side) (experimented with kneeling stretch)

At least I remember the exercises I need to work on ankle strength while I'm at it. Gently, though.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:46 pm

Well, I guess that's one way to get back to your strength work routine but.....

Take care.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:27 am

nkrichards wrote:Well, I guess that's one way to get back to your strength work routine but.....

Take care.

Yes... well, it's sure not the smartest way to do it. Live and learn, I guess.

I looked back at my notes on those last testers and saw that ankle problems cropped up pretty quickly. I'd hoped they'd just go away, but nope. Another object lesson.

I've got a new set of testers (different model) that should arrive today, but it may be a bit before I can use them for a run. They're going to just have to understand...

The sad thing is that with our heat wave (set records two days in a row so far), the mornings would have been glorious for a run. Oh well. I just need to heal fast!

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:29 am

Stepping it up a little today, seeing what happens.

Sets of 3, 12-10-8 of:
-Bridge with single-leg extensions.
-Supine leg lift, keeping TA engaged and pelvis aligned
-Ankle flexion using theraband.
-Double-leg heel raises.
-Single-leg heel raises.

Kneeling, then standing Psoas stretches. (5-6 x 10 seconds left side, a few less on right side)

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:44 am

How's the ankle feeling?

Looks like the end of our nice running weather...at least on this side of the mountain.  Windy & cold here with a bit of rain at times.  Of course it is opening day of fishing season so not totally unexpected.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:27 pm

nkrichards wrote:How's the ankle feeling?

Looks like the end of our nice running weather...at least on this side of the mountain.  Windy & cold here with a bit of rain at times.  Of course it is opening day of fishing season so not totally unexpected.

My ankle is doing a lot better now, as is my foot. I may test it out a bit on Sunday and see if it's ready to go again. Since I'm figuring I'd developed some tendinitis, I'd like it to dissipate as much as possible before going out again.

Of course, there are consequences for lack of running for me... in this case, about 90 minutes of extreme yard work on Thursday. I went for a whole body workout tackling some yard work that I have been neglecting for, oh, a year or two (or three?). Our lawn was invading our planting beds, so it was time to create a new edge and do some sodbusting. I probably removed a couple hundred pounds of pounds of wet grass and soil, while generating an alarming amount of sweat. Bending over to wrestle with the grass, I was blinded a couple of times by the streams of sweat going into my eyes. Sheesh! Guess that's what happens when you're not creating your own cooling breeze. Smile

I got my newest set of testers and I'm encouraged to see they seem to be built on a last that's more accommodating to my foot shape. I'm hopeful that'll mean lots of enjoyable miles while I have them.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:13 pm

So I didn't test out the ankle today, other than to do a lot of chores and schlepping large bags of bark dust for a long-overdue sprucing up of our front yard. I did the hauling and dumping, and Alita spread it out. I think it turned out pretty nice.

1 - Building A Better Bumblebee - Page 36 13092010

1 - Building A Better Bumblebee - Page 36 13083310

The lawn is still looking pretty ratty due to our annual moss invasion and subsequent die off, but that'll get better with time.

Hoping to make it out tomorrow and test things out.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:51 pm

Longish run: 9 miles

Weather: Mostly sunny, a few puffy clouds, cool breeze. 52-56° Gear: NEW testers, shorts, T. Fuel: Only water.

My ankle has been solid for the past couple of days, so I decided it was time to go out and see how the new set of testers worked. I set out with the idea of doing maybe 6 miles, but less if there were problems.

I ended up doing 9.

It was a pretty good run, with an average pace mostly in the 11s, though it'd never quality as "low heart rate" run. I did walk the HR down a few times, though, since I was going farther than I've gone in quite a while.

Shoes are MUCH better than the last type they had me try, so that's also good.

Walked first and last 5 minutes. Average HR for entire run: 142. Max: 166 (pushed hard up the ravine on the way back)

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 36 of 40 Previous  1 ... 19 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next