365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Building A Better Bumblebee

+11
Michele "1L" Keane
Julie
Dave P
mul21
nkrichards
Mike MacLellan
T Miller
Nick Morris
Tim C
Tom H
mountandog
15 posters

Page 28 of 40 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 34 ... 40  Next

Go down

1 - Building A Better Bumblebee - Page 28 Empty Re: Building A Better Bumblebee

Post  Mark B Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:48 pm

mul21 wrote:1 - Building A Better Bumblebee - Page 28 5070
I don't know if you have access to a piece of equipment like this, but I've been doing these lately and have been amazed at the amount of work it forces upon the hamstrings in addition to it being very good for the core.  I've been using a 15 lb dumbbell to add to the degree of difficulty.  You can simulate this by using one of the inflatable balls and wedging your feet under a cabinet or something too.

So you just sort of plank diagonally, then? I could see how something like that would really stimulate the core.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:36 pm

No, you actually do what is essentially a reverse sit up.  It wrecks my hamstrings.  It kind of simulates a stiff legged deadlift, but with much less emphasis on the glutes.
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:09 pm

mul21 wrote:No, you actually do what is essentially a reverse sit up.  It wrecks my hamstrings.  It kind of simulates a stiff legged deadlift, but with much less emphasis on the glutes.

Wow. I can see how that'd work areas of the core that are otherwise neglected. Probably great for posture, too.

I definitely stimulated some muscles yesterday because I am ridiculously sore. (Especially my shoulders. Yii!) It would probably have helped if I could have gotten out and walked today, but the weather and work schedule made it impossible. I plan to get out there tomorrow.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:21 pm

Why am I not surprised that you're registered for an event.  Sounds like a good choice...challenging but not to challenging.  Training with your wife sounds fun too!

Hope the rain and snow continue in the mountains...but diminish enough for you to get your training in.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:38 pm

nkrichards wrote:Why am I not surprised that you're registered for an event.  Sounds like a good choice...challenging but not to challenging.  Training with your wife sounds fun too!

Hope the rain and snow continue in the mountains...but diminish enough for you to get your training in.

Woot! Welcome back, Nancy! I peeked over at your blog (I swear, it was Doug's turn to clean up), and it sounds like you had a great time! I'm looking forward to reading more about your adventures. Smile

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:55 pm

Barefoot Run: 3.1 miles

Weather: Overcast and cool. 41° Gear: Bare feet, lightweight pants, long-sleeved T, jacket, hat, gloves (shed).

Barefoot runs are like a reset button for my body. There's something about removing all artifice from motion that allows my body to relocate its center and get back in sync. Today was no exception to that.

The weather cooperated, with temperatures finally out of the 30s and a break in the steady rain we've been having for the past several days. I hit the right clothing combination and was mostly not distracted by the wet, chilly pavement.

1 - Building A Better Bumblebee - Page 28 12540610

I worked to keep my HR down with some success (aside from a startling strap glitch that gave me a HR of 177). It also helped that I started feeling calm, with a standing HR of 54. The run felt good, and I was surprised when I saw that I ran nearly even splits every mile. (10:42, 10:43, 10:45) Guess I found a rhythm.

Average HR for entire run: 145

My feet were happy enough after the fact to pose for a portrait.

1 - Building A Better Bumblebee - Page 28 12400910

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:14 pm

Mark B wrote:
mul21 wrote:No, you actually do what is essentially a reverse sit up.  It wrecks my hamstrings.  It kind of simulates a stiff legged deadlift, but with much less emphasis on the glutes.

Wow. I can see how that'd work areas of the core that are otherwise neglected. Probably great for posture, too.

I definitely stimulated some muscles yesterday because I am ridiculously sore. (Especially my shoulders. Yii!) It would probably have helped if I could have gotten out and walked today, but the weather and work schedule made it impossible. I plan to get out there tomorrow.
That's an excellent machine for strengthening the back muscles (I think they're called 'phase muscles') that run along both sides of the spine and the lower back.  Just excellent.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:36 pm

ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote:

That's an excellent machine for strengthening the back muscles (I think they're called 'phase muscles') that run along both sides of the spine and the lower back.  Just excellent.

Excellent, also, if your taste in fashion leans toward spandex and capes.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:13 am

Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote:

Excellent, also, if your taste in fashion leans toward spandex and capes.
We have to adjust our spandex for the new open carry law.

So are you saying happy and free tootsies are the key towards keeping the baseline?
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:50 pm

ounce wrote:So are you saying happy and free tootsies are the key towards keeping the baseline?

If by "baseline" you mean what I'd describe as "recentering," I'd say yes.

If nothing else, running barefoot is a great form drill. You have to run gently, without overstriding and with a faster turnover. I'm usually right around 180 (and sometimes even higher) when I'm barefoot. It happens without thinking about it. It's a natural cadence. I probably don't look like an olympian as I pitter-pat along with those little steps, but oh well.

I've found that weekly barefoot outings can help keep my form centered even if my other runs are in shoes. That strategy worked well for me when I was getting ready for the Mount Hood 50 (miler) back in 2013. So it's going to be in my playbook this year as I get ready for our summer adventures.

That said, I need to find some road shoes, pronto. I found last year that I can't really manage hills or extended distances in the sandals, and the model of Altras that I used in 2013 (the Instinct 1.5) has been replaced several times over with new-and-"improved" versions. They're up to the 3.5 now! I tried on the 3.0s and didn't buy them because of how they fit. I'm hoping the new iteration has a bit more room for the fifth metatarsal of my freaky feet. We'll see.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:28 pm

Well, this was a pleasant surprise.

1 - Building A Better Bumblebee - Page 28 Img_3812

I'd been told by a shoe store in Portland that the Instinct 3.5 hadn't shipped to stores yet, so I had no expectation when we walked into our local Fleet Feet store in Vancouver just to see what they had in stock. Staring me straight in the face? Yup. The 3.5s.

Tried them on, and even though they should have been ridiculously big on me (they're 11.5s), they actually fit well. Yes, they're a tad long, but they give me enough room in the forefoot for my toes to splay out properly. I jogged in them a bit, and they didn't feel sloppy at all. I might have been able to go down to an 11, but they didn't have any.

This might have been a good thing, since they have gone to a straighter last with this shoe than their earlier version. Which means I need a bit more room to get the whole arc of my foot inside.

1 - Building A Better Bumblebee - Page 28 Img_3813

I like the slightly asymmetrical lacing, and I'm hopeful that they're use of mixed materials will allow greater durability of the upper, even if it does remind me a little bit of bowling shoes. Very Happy

Alita also tried on a pair and was sold immediately.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:41 pm

Walk: 3 miles

Weather: Overcast and mild, about 50. Gear: Altra Instinct 3.5s

We just got our new shoes, and it wasn't pissing down rain like it has been lately, so Alita and I decided to go out and give 'em a try. We took a back route to the high school (it's a mile away) and then looped back around the long way (which was two miles).

The shoes felt fine, though I'm looking forward to settling into them a bit. The walk was also good, though I'm going to need to figure out how to speed up a little if I'm going to be able to match Alita's pace. She can move!

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:37 pm

Just imagine you're dating.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:07 am

I hope you mean dating Alita, because the shoes and I just broke up.

During our walk, I noticed some rubbing on the edge of my foot. It got worse later, and developed into a hot spot. Turns out there was a manufacturing defect that left a knot of thread in just the wrong spot. Grr!!!

Returned the shoes -- they agreed they were flawed -- and they have replacements on order, in both size 11 and 11.5, so I can compare.

Rather disappointed, but given how many miles these shoes can go, they need to not dig a hole in my foot every time I use them.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:13 am

Mark B wrote:I hope you mean dating Alita, because the shoes and I just broke up.

During our walk, I noticed some rubbing on the edge of my foot. It got worse later, and developed into a hot spot. Turns out there was a manufacturing defect that left a knot of thread in just the wrong spot. Grr!!!

Returned the shoes -- they agreed they were flawed -- and they have replacements on order, in both size 11 and 11.5, so I can compare.

Rather disappointed, but given how many miles these shoes can go, they need to not dig a hole in my foot every time I use them.
You realize the person in China that manufactured that pair has been shipped to the Gobi Desert Re-Education Camp, don't you? Sad
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:36 am

Sorry the shoes didn't work out...hope the replacement is satisfactory.  I'm still plugging away in Brooks Ravenna.  Every time I get a new pair I think about trying something new but "if it ain't broke don't fix it".  I don't want to risk an injury popping up if I try something a bit lighter.

Sounds like Alita will be a good training partner...hope you don't slow her down to much. Laughing
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:55 pm

ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote:I hope you mean dating Alita, because the shoes and I just broke up.

You realize the person in China that manufactured that pair has been shipped to the Gobi Desert Re-Education Camp, don't you? Sad

No, silly. Don't you realize that's where the factory is? You're so pre-Cultural Revolution. Tsk.

nkrichards wrote:Sorry the shoes didn't work out...hope the replacement is satisfactory.  I'm still plugging away in Brooks Ravenna.  Every time I get a new pair I think about trying something new but "if it ain't broke don't fix it".  I don't want to risk an injury popping up if I try something a bit lighter.

Sounds like Alita will be a good training partner...hope you don't slow her down to much. Laughing

Hi, Nancy! I'm not worried about the shoes. Through purchasing or testing, I've managed to come across a good share of duds. I used to tough it out, but I came to realize that it was better for me (who wants blisters?) and them to identify the problem immediately. Hopefully it'll help them improve their workmanship. (Altra doesn't have the best reputation for that.)

I'm all for the "if it ain't broke..." approach, myself. Case in point. The shoes I'm currently running in are Altra Instinct 1.5s. In the time since I started running in this model, they've worked there way up -- in .5 increments, mind you - to the 3.5! That's what happens when you put 705 miles on the first pair, I suppose. Smile

I'm sure I'll learn the faster cadence Alita uses. It's comical, since she's about 9 inches shorter than I am. She says she learned to walk fast because she's short and had to keep up with taller folks. Guess the shoe's on the other foot now! Wink

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:55 pm

Low HR Run: 4.3 miles

Weather: Rainy, 43° Gear: Altra Instinct 1.5s, pants, long-sleeved T, jacket, hat, gloves (shed)

Changing things up this week to make sure I get some runs in despite an odd schedule.

I did just over four miles on one of my standard loops, and I made maintaining an even effort my main priority. I'm going to need to rebuild that area to get my mileage up. The first couple of mile felt good; I felt an energy drop in the third mile -- weird when you're legs feel tired -- and I walked a small amount to keep my HR down. My legs came back a bit in the fourth mile, which had me wondering about energy systems and second winds.

It rained the whole time and I ended up pretty wet, but the temperature was warm enough to where I didn't get chilled.

Walked first and last 5 minutes. Average HR for entire run: 132.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:13 am

Chiming in about the back extension machine.  It hits your spinal erectors pretty hard, and it's essentially doing a Good-Morning at a 45 degree angle.  Which is to say that it can be veeeeeeery dangerous if done improperly.  Essential to keep your lower back flat and rigid - but don't hyperextend.  People have a tendency to hyperextend when they think "flat back."  Your upper back can round slightly.  

If you're thinking posterior chain, you may want to consider Stiff-Legged Deadlifts, too.  Very slight bend in knees, dumbbells/milk jugs/whatever held at the front of your thighs, and bend at the hips til you feel a slight stretch in your hammies.  The bend should be mostly due to your glutes moving backwards - this keeps your lower back flat.  Come back up by bringing your hips forwards - ie thrust - which will bring your torso back upright.  This is the only exercise that's ever hit my hamstrings, and it hits HARD.

Also, dating your shoes?  Oregon must be creeping over the state line.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:48 pm

Mark B wrote:
I don't know if you have access to a piece of equipment like this, but I've been doing these lately and have been amazed at the amount of work it forces upon the hamstrings in addition to it being very good for the core.  I've been using a 15 lb dumbbell to add to the degree of difficulty.  You can simulate this by using one of the inflatable balls and wedging your feet under a cabinet or something too.

So you just sort of plank diagonally, then? I could see how something like that would really stimulate the core.
Back extension machine - try hold a 25 lb weight and do it.  Helps greatly!  As do deadlifts - both straight leg and bent knee.  If you have access, ask someone to help you with form initially.  Most gyms have someone who will orient you to the equipment and from time to time, I'll even ask for a quick check on a piece I'm not as familiar with.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:18 pm

Mike MacLellan wrote:Chiming in about the back extension machine.  It hits your spinal erectors pretty hard, and it's essentially doing a Good-Morning at a 45 degree angle.  Which is to say that it can be veeeeeeery dangerous if done improperly.  Essential to keep your lower back flat and rigid - but don't hyperextend.  People have a tendency to hyperextend when they think "flat back."  Your upper back can round slightly.  

If you're thinking posterior chain, you may want to consider Stiff-Legged Deadlifts, too.  Very slight bend in knees, dumbbells/milk jugs/whatever held at the front of your thighs, and bend at the hips til you feel a slight stretch in your hammies.  The bend should be mostly due to your glutes moving backwards - this keeps your lower back flat.  Come back up by bringing your hips forwards - ie thrust - which will bring your torso back upright.  This is the only exercise that's ever hit my hamstrings, and it hits HARD.

Also, dating your shoes?  Oregon must be creeping over the state line.

If it was Oregon creeping over the line, we'd be smoking the shoes, silly.  geek

Though you could do both things legally on our side of the river first. Just saying'

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:
Mark B wrote:

Back extension machine - try hold a 25 lb weight and do it.  Helps greatly!  As do deadlifts - both straight leg and bent knee.  If you have access, ask someone to help you with form initially.  Most gyms have someone who will orient you to the equipment and from time to time, I'll even ask for a quick check on a piece I'm not as familiar with.

I'm noticing a recurring theme of hamstring and back conditioning. I have to admit, that has never occurred to me as something for running. What's the benefit? (And know that I can't afford equipment or a gym membership.)

Oh, also...

Walk: 2.3 miles

Weather: Overcast but dry, about 50°

Lunchtime walk at work.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:35 pm

On to other oddities!

I've been having some digestion problems lately and decided to try following what I assume the doctor would tell me if I went to visit him - cutting out things that might be causing the problem. It seems that much of my most commonly consumed items tend to be triggers. So I'm staying away from them. Mostly it's not a big deal, except for coffee.

I stopped drinking it after taking a swig yesterday morning that went down like battery acid, so I'm dealing with the joys of withdrawal. I don't drink gallons of coffee a day, but I've been drinking coffee for a very long time. Which I assume means that my brain is pretty much wired to expect it. I've had most of the usual symptoms, and I'm hoping I can make it through them.

Has anybody else cut out caffeine from their lives? How did it go?

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:29 pm

Mark B wrote:On to other oddities!

I've been having some digestion problems lately and decided to try following what I assume the doctor would tell me if I went to visit him - cutting out things that might be causing the problem. It seems that much of my most commonly consumed items tend to be triggers. So I'm staying away from them. Mostly it's not a big deal, except for coffee.

I stopped drinking it after taking a swig yesterday morning that went down like battery acid, so I'm dealing with the joys of withdrawal. I don't drink gallons of coffee a day, but I've been drinking coffee for a very long time. Which I assume means that my brain is pretty much wired to expect it. I've had most of the usual symptoms, and I'm hoping I can make it through them.

Has anybody else cut out caffeine from their lives? How did it go?
Keep us posted on the coffee...or lack thereof.  I had to go off caffeine for about 30 hours last week in preparation for my stress test.  I hadn't realized how much my body counted on that daily dose of caffeine.  I've realized that I'm drinking way to much coffee...mostly out of habit...and not nearly enough water.  Not good.  I haven't gotten myself motivated to correct that yet but I'm considering it.

So not much help in answering your question but interested in other answers offered here.

Speaking of questions...I know that as long as I've been posting here I should know how to use the multiple quote feature but unfortunately I don't.  What's the trick that I'm missing?

Oh...my sympathy on the digestive issues.  They are never fun.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:33 pm

Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep

Huh? Oh. Hello. Stand by. Brain is moving  s l o w l y . . .

Thanks for the moral support, Nancy! I'm hoping modifying my diet will help things settle down. Good thing I have lots of ibuprofin,  since the headache is pretty notable.

To use the Multi-Quote feature, use the "Multi Quote" button to select the posts you want to quote, then click "Post Reply" below. (It won't create a new post on its own like it does when you click "Quote."

When you create the new post, it'll include the quoted material. Then all you have to do is decide where you want to post your own comments, and that's it.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:22 pm

Barefoot Run: 3.1 miles

Weather: Overcast, mild. 48° Gear: Bare feet, lightweight pants, long-sleeved T, jacket. Note: Caffeine free

Out for a barefoot run on wet asphalt, hoping what I'd read about exercise and caffeine withdrawal is true. It's supposed to help alleviate some of the more annoying aspects.

I felt sore and sluggish at the start, but that faded with time -- and didn't seem to reflect itself in either my heart rate or my pace. Both were respectable and pretty consistent throughout. Yes, I picked up a few bpm as I went along, but not significantly. I'll take it.

Started out with a standing HR of 53, so there's that, too.

Average HR for entire run: 141.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 28 of 40 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 34 ... 40  Next