365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Recovery Leg road to running

+12
John Kilpatrick
Kenny B.
Jerry
Mark B
Scott C
Dave-O
Seth Harrison
Julie
Dave Wolfe
Michele "1L" Keane
Diego
wheakory
16 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Recovery Leg road to running - Page 3 Empty Re: Recovery Leg road to running

Post  wheakory Wed May 09, 2012 3:01 pm

Kenny B. wrote:9 degrees! Wow you are doing so heavenly well!
Did I say 9 degrees no it was 29 degrees. Still everyone thought I was crazy plus my friend for warning shorts.
wheakory
wheakory
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  wheakory Wed May 09, 2012 3:02 pm

7.2 miles with my friend yesterday was very good for me to help control my pace and learn to keep things slow which is good.
wheakory
wheakory
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  wheakory Wed May 09, 2012 3:46 pm

Today's glorified morning run in great weather at 33 degrees and sunny. I felt warm in shorts and a short sleeve shirt with arm warmers that I eventually rolled down. I had gloves on. If it's one part of me that ever gets cold its my hands.

Worked till 1:30am last nigt putting on firmware updates on our Dell Equallogic System and getting Survey logs from a HP Proliant machine that will justify it being replaced. So that being said I could have been replaced with a new energized body this morning.

Anyway, I was tired waking up a little after 6am and really wasn't motivated to do anything. The one motivation I had for anything was crawling back in bed and snooze for 8 more hours.

I didn't want to run and I planned to do a harder uphill run today for the training with the legs. I need to get the strength of going uphill like I had in years past. Started from my house and went up Satterfield Rd. Felt DEAD the first 3-4 miles and wanted to sleep, but I got warmed up and that helped. ... then when I reached the top I did all the six side uphill streets running up and down to get 100ms up and down intervals. This is a good spot to train for short intervals and it was always my secret and training option. Did those at a faster clip and the legs were turning over better and the stride felt better. I was really getting hot and desperately need to buy some sunglasses but managed. I finished the run going back down the hill which is about 3.5 from the top of Satterfield Rd. to my house.

13.25 miles in 1: 32

8:03, 7:41, 7:42, 7:52, 6:5, 6:46, 6:55, 6:39, 6;24, 6:52 6:37, 6:36. 6:33.

Good half marathon simulation. I miss racing and seeing runner friends I think more than anything since my accident. I lost a big part of communication in that way. I'm glad I'm starting to do events again.
wheakory
wheakory
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Wed May 09, 2012 9:29 pm

Nice run this morning considering you rather crawl back into bed! Been there done that before, it's amazing how days like that you end have a good run and glad you went out and did it!
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  wheakory Thu May 10, 2012 5:10 pm

Schuey wrote:Nice run this morning considering you rather crawl back into bed! Been there done that before, it's amazing how days like that you end have a good run and glad you went out and did it!

Schuey - I always do it but it's never fun until you get in the run. I had to do it again today being up till 1:30am for work related system maintenance.

May 10
Did 10.03 miles at an overall 7:05 pace in 1:11 and a repeat of yesterday. I was up again till 1:30am and got out of bed at 6:30am, but wasn't as tired this morning. Ran just a pancake course nothing special just decreasing the pace each mile. My left knee has bothered me the last couple of days so I will have to keep an eye on that. I think it's from laying on the floor working remotely from home till the middle of the night in a bad posture position with my Macbook.
Splits:
8:04, 7:29, 7:11, 7:06, 6:59, 6:57, 7:02, 6:48, 6:37, 6:28
wheakory
wheakory
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Thu May 10, 2012 6:40 pm

I hope your knee pain is resolved. When I've had to take breaks from running and my running group for extended times my friends are what I miss most of all. There is just nothing like running with someone a few hrs a week vs trying to email once in awhile or however else we try to keep in touch. I hope your upcoming race goes well and you're able to reunite with some of your running friends.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  wheakory Fri May 11, 2012 5:43 pm

Julie wrote:I hope your knee pain is resolved. When I've had to take breaks from running and my running group for extended times my friends are what I miss most of all. There is just nothing like running with someone a few hrs a week vs trying to email once in awhile or however else we try to keep in touch. I hope your upcoming race goes well and you're able to reunite with some of your running friends.

Julie -Thanks. The knee is a little achy not sure if it's shoes or just the mileage increase of being over 60 the last month with my comeback. I really hope I can race and have fun and just see running friends again. For me seeing others is what makes it fun and helps you want to stay fit.
wheakory
wheakory
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  wheakory Fri May 11, 2012 5:52 pm

Did 10 miles this morning at a 7:03 pace in 1:11. It was a little chilly this morning at 31 degrees, but I stayed in my racing shorts no way was I going back in tights. I wore a tech short sleeve shirt with arm warmers in case I got hot I could roll them down. Pretty good progressive run, but the knee was still a bit achy. My last mile was way inconsistent with the rest of the progressive pace at 6:07. But it didn't feel hard, but felt good and comfortable. I actually got sleep last night from two late nights of 1:30am.
splits
7:5, 7:37, 7:23, 7:13, 7:02, 6:57, 7:00, 6:51, 6:48, 6:07 (got carried away on the last mile) Coming back I need to find that MP pace for several miles because that's the big key in the marathon. Need to really work on that in long runs.
wheakory
wheakory
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Fri May 11, 2012 6:45 pm

kory.wheatley@gmail.com wrote:
Julie wrote:I hope your knee pain is resolved. When I've had to take breaks from running and my running group for extended times my friends are what I miss most of all. There is just nothing like running with someone a few hrs a week vs trying to email once in awhile or however else we try to keep in touch. I hope your upcoming race goes well and you're able to reunite with some of your running friends.

Julie -Thanks. The knee is a little achy not sure if it's shoes or just the mileage increase of being over 60 the last month with my comeback. I really hope I can race and have fun and just see running friends again. For me seeing others is what makes it fun and helps you want to stay fit.

Nice job on the 10 and watch that knee.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  wheakory Sun May 13, 2012 3:19 am

This morning it was 32 degrees but it felt like it was warm because of no wind. I met Bill M. at Century High School to run together for nice long run on the Pocatello Marathon Course. Then traveled to Inkom to pick up Terry and Lowell great runners that have done a ton of marathons. They were just planning on running 13 miles so we left their car around a housing area close to this distance on the course.

We then drove up to the Pocatello Marathon course (Crestview Rd). and started the decent downward. Bill and I stayed at a comfortable pace around the low 7's up to 7:30's. Great conversation the whole way. Then I started pulling away from Bill at mile 15 until the finish. I really felt good the last 7 miles of rolling hills with splits of (7:56, 7:09, 6:58, 7:08, 7:23 "Century hill climb", 7:12, 6:55). Century hill felt like a piece of cake. After I got to the car I ran back to find Bill and then finished with him.

Overall a great run with a great friend which is what it's all about. Bill is a wonderful runner and a wonderful person. Thanks Bill.

Then I went home and mowed my grandpa's lawn. Went to my daughters volleyball game. Then did yard work till the evening.

Total Mileage for the run.

22.11 miles in 2:46 at a 7:32 overall pace.

Never did I ever think I would run this course again since my accident. I'm so blessed and so emotional about the run. I love this course because its been good to me. Thank You Lord.
wheakory
wheakory
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  wheakory Wed May 16, 2012 6:07 pm

May 15

Ran 8.11 miles with my cousin/friend Barry up to Olympus Rd. and around Fairview Rd and then back down at an easy 7:36 pace. We had a good conversation and it was fun. I like running and chatting it does pass the time.

For me right now getting out and running is the best thing, and not having a planned type of run (tempo, track, etc.). I'm not ready for actual speed work training because my leg still has issues. Right now I'm fighting a pain kind of below and beside the knee for close to, two weeks now.

Probably going to try and run the Half Marathon this weekend just for the experience and fun of it.

May 16
Ran 10.2 miles at an overall 7:12 pace in 1:13 out on Hiline Rd, Chubbuck Rd., Hawethorne Rd. and around the Mall and back home down Poleline Rd.

Still fighting the lower pain below the knee. It feels like it swells towards the end of the day. I really don't know what it is, but I do need to try and ice it tonight. Still going to probably run the Half Marathon for the experience this weekend.
wheakory
wheakory
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  wheakory Fri May 18, 2012 7:43 pm

May 16
10 miles and still fighting the lower knee pain or beside the knee pain or whatever it maybe or wherever its at. Can you tell I'm clueless. I'll just try and manage what I can this week and try to ice the knee.

May 17
10 miles but still the lower knee issue. Trying to keep my body stretched and not try overdoing other things. But you have to get the yardwork done some how. Celebrating my daughters 13 birthday this Friday so that will be fun. My other daughter who turned 16 just got her first job at Wendy's as a Sophomore. She's been doing odd jobs (mowing lawns, babysitting). She wants a car and were making her buy her first one.

May 18
Today I did 7.2 miles and still have the knee whatever issue is related to it. But I still signed up for a Half Marathon this weekend that's only a 19 mile drive from my house. I figured I would run tomorrow anyway and why not run this one for fun and caught up to some friends that I don't get to see very much. Hopefully, the leg will not feel too bad. Birthday Party for my Daughter tonight. So I won't get much sleep for the race tomorrow but I don't care this is 10 times more important.
wheakory
wheakory
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri May 18, 2012 11:34 pm

Good luck in the half on Saturday, Kory. I agree on your choice with your daughter's party and the race. Sleep can wait.

This may sound weird, but I think it's absolutely wonderful that you've healed so well from your accident now that you can grumble about some running-related mystery knee pain.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  wheakory Tue May 22, 2012 3:37 pm

Since I did the HM in 1:26 that makes me feel good at where I'm at and know if I try I can get down to the 1:20's and a sub 3 in the marathon again if the desire is there. Right now my life is busy with kids doing things and I don't know what I feel the future will hold, but I would love to try.

May 21
Good morning of running already at 50 degrees when I started. 11.10 miles at an overall 7:16 pace in 1:20. Knee wasn't bad. I ate crappy yesterday and paid for it this morning just sluggish and slower to start. Ran up to the foothills and over to Benton Rd and back home. After a race I think it's good to reward yourself with food that you know is a craving and is not good for you and you never eat it. You have to celebrate once in a while.

Last miles 6:58 and 6:41.

Have son's baseball game tonight with the temp's at 87 degrees.

May 22

Did 8.4 miles today with my friend Barry. Nice and easy 7:33 pace. We ran up by the Idaho State Minidome and then down by Davis Field and along the Cemetery then turned around back to my house.

Have to go back in to work at 11pm tonight so I don't know if I will run tomorrow your not. Legs could probably use another day off.
wheakory
wheakory
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave P Wed May 23, 2012 9:10 pm

1:26 HM? Nice!
Dave P
Dave P
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  wheakory Sun May 27, 2012 11:14 am

May 23
What a day. I worked till 5:30 am in the morning doing Firmware upgrades on
our system that went well. Other related issues caused us to troubleshoot a
problem extended me from getting beauty sleep. Anyway, no run. Exhausted and
not worth trying to run exhausted.

May 24
Still exhausted from the all night maintenance at work and only getting 4
hours of sleep I managed to get a 6.52 mile run done. Kept it easy at an 7:18
pace in 47.56 minutes. I had to cut the run short because I had to drive my
kids to school because of the rain. I'm going to chalk this week up as a cut
back week which I haven't had one for a while.

My leg/knee or maybe the IT Band is giving me some pain after the run.

May 25

Ran 15.23 miles at an overall 7:10 pace today. I was going to run longer but
I needed to practice taking gels and water and I got started late. I think it's better to practice with the water and
gels on a long run so your stomach can get used to it. I ran a variation of
hills/flat not an easy route. I wanted to run the Pocatello Marathon course but
I got up too late and wouldn't have had enough time. Maybe tomorrow I will do a
long run up there.

Splits

8:21, 7:42, 7:46, 7:00, 7:01, 7:09, 6:45, 6:5, 7:05, 7:11, 7:16, 7:10 6:42,
6:43 (uphill/downhill/flat )

May 26
Ran 21.3 miles on the Pocatello Marthon Course at an overall 7:22 pace. I
was completely soaked. It rained most of the run with at nice headwind that I
couldn't stop complaining about. I ran the course by myself and was cold at the
end and just wanted cofee. Time was 2:36 so not a bad run after doing 15 miles
yesterday.

Cleaned out my gutters today at the house and wondeful laundry too up the
rest of the day.
wheakory
wheakory
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  wheakory Tue May 29, 2012 1:17 am

Ran 13.34 miles in a 7:06 pace in 1:34:38. I ran up Olympus Rd. than
back down to the house... actually I did some extra streets before I
headed back home. I wanted to run at least a Half Marathon distance I
memorial day since I had the day off and honor our troops. I slept in to almost 9am so it took up the morning.

7:59, 7:39, 7:37, 7:02, 6:56, 7:17, 6:54, 6:33, 6:41, 6:55, 6:59, 7:05, 6:51

Finished the Day mowing my grandpa's lawn and doing the routine maintenance work on my lawn mower. Trimming trees
wheakory
wheakory
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  wheakory Wed May 30, 2012 12:44 am

Ran with Barry this morning down Mckinley Ave. and then we went behind the junkyard on Garrett Way an then back down on Hawethorne RD. I didn't realize I picked it up and left Barry behind a bit but I came back to get him. We started out slow and end faster with a little headwind the last few miles.

9.2 miles at an overall 7:29 pace. I did the last two a bit faster 6:53 and 6:41.

Ran about .2 later from way out in the parking lot from work. I wanted to do this just to loosen the legs up.

Worked late tonight doing a live upgrade to newest Solaris 10 update 10 so that Oracle can have the system requirements to be Updated on featured options for 11g and ASM. I've really worked a lot of hours to get the new Oracle features on our systems.
(Brooks Launch)
wheakory
wheakory
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  wheakory Wed May 30, 2012 7:28 pm

Worked till about 10pm last night. Well I worked from home from about 7pm to 10pm on a upgrade problem to the newest version of Solaris 10 update 10. This will allow our Oracle databases more functionality. I wasn't planning on going to work my normal time and instead took a little extra time for a longer run. I really was tired and had a hard time getting out the door.

13.41 miles at an overall 7:13 pace in 1:36. Pretty flat route on the old town side of Pocatello. Ran in my Sacuony Kinvara which are over 400 miles and I'm starting to feel it in my knees. Basically, all my shoes are getting up there and feeling the soreness in the knees from the wore down soles.

I ordered two new pair of shoes the Mizuna Musha 4 and the Asics DS Racer 9's. Never ran in either so we will see how they do.

Did the last two miles at 6:57, 6:33.

Now I really need to find a Half Marathon shoe replacement for the way discontinued shoe Mizuno Idaten which I've used for 5 years and they have over 254 miles.
wheakory
wheakory
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  wheakory Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:54 pm

I'm not dead at least I think my fingers are typing this. It's just been hard keeping up with the blog. Did a weeks vacation in Arizona and other house projects and work has kept me busy. Although I've average close to 80 miles a week running. Saturday July 28 I ran 22 miles and Today I did 15 miles (single runs). The pace is dropping and looking closer to maybe under a 3 hour marathon on September 1st.

June 3 - 9 - 77.14 miles (17 mile long run 2:05:58)
June 10 - 16 - 81.68 miles (21.40 mile long run 2:35:20)
June 17 - 23 73 miles (21.51 mile long run 2:37:40 )
June 24 - 30 - 85.80 Miles (22.20 Mile long run 2:36:38)
July 1 - 7 - 72.97 Miles (18.20 mile long run 2:16)
July 8 - 14 - 50.28 Miles (12.12 miles long run 1:27:53) On Vacation
July 15 - 21 - 85.56 miles (21.41 Miles long run 2:26:32)
July 22 - 28 - 83.20 miles ( 22.22 miles lone run 2:40:20)
wheakory
wheakory
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave P Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:51 pm

Wow, 80 miles a week & thinking about sub 3 hours again - you've come a long way Kory. Praise the Lord!
Dave P
Dave P
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  wheakory Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:29 am

Ran my first Marathon back from my recovery (20th Marathon overall). I finished at 2:54:57 6th overall September 1, 2012. URL to race report
Click Here

Ran 12 miiles today and 1 yesterday since the race Saturday. Good shake out miles.
wheakory
wheakory
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3