365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who's run Napa?

4 posters

Go down

Who's run Napa? Empty Who's run Napa?

Post  Tim C Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:17 pm

Looking for a marathon to run early next year. There's two here in SoCal I could run that would allow me to sleep in my own bed (Surf City and LA), but thought it would be fun to take a long weekend with the wife up to Napa.

Curious for any input. It sounds as though it's pretty tough to spectate at. And looking at the pictures on the website, it appears getting rained on is not unusual. And how's the course itself?
Tim C
Tim C
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Who's run Napa? Empty Re: Who's run Napa?

Post  Jack_Scaff Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:34 am

Tim C wrote:Looking for a marathon to run early next year. There's two here in SoCal I could run that would allow me to sleep in my own bed (Surf City and LA), but thought it would be fun to take a long weekend with the wife up to Napa.

Curious for any input. It sounds as though it's pretty tough to spectate at. And looking at the pictures on the website, it appears getting rained on is not unusual. And how's the course itself?

I'm the resident Napa shill. I've run it four times.

There are cross roads that spectatator can drive down/park on to view. My wife saw me last year at maybe 3 of them, so it's not that bad. It is not terribly crowded, so that is a plus for viewers. But they really need to go down one of the corss roads.

I've been rained on twice and chilly but sunny (i.e. perfect) twice. I did hear one year the rain was horrible. Another issue can be wind (one of the 4 years).

The course is IMO awesome if you like wine country terrain - but I'm biased.Negative elavation, but rolling hills - nothing terribly challenging, but a couple let you know they are there. The last maybe 5-7 miles are downhill then flat. The race is well supported (aid stations) but the crowd support is sparse in between each cross road. You don't really need to worry about jostling for position after the first mile or so - it really opens up.

I consider it my backyard race, and for a getaway. If you like food and wine, I challenge you to find one as good.
Jack_Scaff
Jack_Scaff
Poster
Poster

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=Concord&st

Back to top Go down

Post  Glenn Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:38 am

I've never run the race, but my wife and I are signed up for 2012. About a year ago, we were in Napa, and I did my Sunday long run on a 10 mile stretch between Rutherford and Yountville. Most of that run was on the Silverado Trail, which is the Napa race course through that part of the valley. Who cares if crowds are going to be sparse there...it was awesome: running along the east bench of the valley, a gentle downhill, looking out over vinyards and towns. Please! We were going to do 2011, but the race was full by December.
Glenn
Glenn
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:16 pm

Signed up for napa between a bottle of red and a bottle of white.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down