365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fox Cities Half: I hate tune-up races

+18
Kenny B.
Mark B
JohnP
mul21
Matt W
T Miller
healdgator
Alex Kubacki
KathyK
Jack_Scaff
Jerry
Jim Lentz
John Kilpatrick
Diego
Chris M
Michele "1L" Keane
Julie
Dave-O
22 posters

Go down

Fox Cities Half: I hate tune-up races Empty Fox Cities Half: I hate tune-up races

Post  Dave-O Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:28 am

1:15. I wish I could tell you that it was a nice, smooth marathon pace run. Then it would have been a great workout. But it wasn’t. Instead, it was the latest installment in a series of poor tune-up races. Like the ones before it, I just don’t know why I’m performing so poorly when it counts.

Other than this race being a last second back-up plan (had to bail on Philly; Fox Valley Half in Chicago suburbs reneged on its entries to Fleet Feet), everything went smoothly. I was checked into my hotel and settled in my 7:30 pm. I had a good night’s sleep and felt fine during warm-up.

I even executed my first 4 miles as planned. In looking at the course ahead of time, the first 4 were slightly uphill with a lot of turns. I wanted to split these miles in the 5:35 range, then drop the pace by 10-15 second for miles 5 through 9. That’s where the problems started. My legs were just flat. I didn’t feel like I was breathing hard or struggling, but the difference between 5:40 pace and 5:25 was drastic. Every time I tried to hit the gas, I had to back off soon thereafter. I just didn’t have that pace in me.

Somewhere around mile 8, I accepted that 5:40-5:45 pace was the best that was happening. Again, I can’t lie and say it was easy or comfortable; in fact, it felt much more difficult than it has in training. That’s what’s frustrating. Why do I consistently feel worse in race than I do in training? I swear I’m not cheating on my tempo runs.

I ended up finishing 5th, but I really thought I’d be 3-4 minutes faster. I’m trying my best not to hit the panic button. At this point, it won’t do any good. There’s 21 days until Chicago, which means 1 week of training and taper. There’s no time to change my approach. All I can do at this point is keep the faith that I am in marathon shape and that despite a sub-par racing year, it will all come together on October 9th.
Dave-O
Dave-O

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Fox Cities Half: I hate tune-up races Empty Re: Fox Cities Half: I hate tune-up races

Post  Julie Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:36 am

Sorry the race wasn't what you hoped, I think you're an awesome runner and I'm sorry we didn't get to meet up! Congrats on 5th place and I'm sure your full marathon will be great, regardless of what the tune up race was.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Fox Cities Half: I hate tune-up races Empty Re: Fox Cities Half: I hate tune-up races

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:12 pm

It might just be called life, Dave-O. Haven't you been working mega hours on this trial? Honestly, that will so totally mess with you even when you think it shouldn't or couldn't. Don;t sweat it, bad runs/races are generally signs of good things to come - so don't go overdoing it by adding in faster or more miles because that will not do it. Stick with the plan and the taper, eat good, drink less (beer) and more (water), sleep well, de-stress and fuggedaboutit.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:42 pm

You are not performing poorly when it counts. This doesn't count. Mid-cycle races on non-tapered legs are a complete crap shoot. Sometimes you shock yourself with the fitness you are building up carrying you to a nice fast run (remember when you did CB10?) and sometimes the legs are stuck in mega training mode and not ready to race (Sunday). I know I've experienced more let downs than successes on doing races mid-cycle during marathon training and you do far more miles than me so it is not surprising that there will be some duds in there when it doesn't count. October 9 counts. Everything up until then is just prep and that's a nice MP workout you did.
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:45 pm

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:It might just be called life, Dave-O. Haven't you been working mega hours on this trial? Honestly, that will so totally mess with you even when you think it shouldn't or couldn't. Don;t sweat it, bad runs/races are generally signs of good things to come - so don't go overdoing it by adding in faster or more miles because that will not do it. Stick with the plan and the taper, eat good, drink less (beer) and more (water), sleep well, de-stress and fuggedaboutit.

Yes, in the week leading up to this race, I was working until about 9-10 every night. I wasn't eating right and wasn't getting as much sleep as normal. I guess its possible that stress was a contributing factor, but I don't know, those just sound like excuses.

I am on board with your plan though.
Dave-O
Dave-O

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:18 pm

Life's stresses can definitely play a role in what ails you right now. But maybe Chris stole your mojo for this year.Smile

I still think you ran a great race and it will show up when you taper and run the real deal.
Diego
Diego
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:31 pm

Sorry it didn't feel right on Sunday - still a good time, but understand it was not what you wanted. Sounds like Michele is on to something there - it didn't sound like an excuse to me, just an understanding maybe of everything you were up against last week. Plus, your training has been consistent and your legs are not even close to being fresh. You might be different, but I know that when I was in the meat of training, there is no way I could of run a good race if I hadn't done a little taper (day or two at least) beforehand.

I thought I read somewhere (Ryan Hall's Running with Joy maybe?) of similar experiences that were followed by good "A" races.

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:36 pm

Stress is stress. If you don't get enough sleep, have things on your mind and don't eat well it will all affect your physical performance. I had a 20 mile long run where I only get an hour sleep the night before and crashed by mile 18 and had to walk most of the last 2 miles. I did 22 last weekend and by mile 21 decided to crank up the pace by a minute/mile and it felt easy. The major difference being that for my last long run I had plenty of sleep and had eaten well the days leading up to it.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:08 pm

Chris M wrote:You are not performing poorly when it counts. This doesn't count.

I don't care this one either, Dave.

Majority of our races are deemed to fail. That's the way it is, unless of cause you are Schuey.

Taper well for Chicago!
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jack_Scaff Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:26 pm

I know there is not much someone like me can say other than best of luck in CHI.

And I'll disagree with Michele - drink MORE beer.

Well, it works for me.

Not really...
Jack_Scaff
Jack_Scaff
Poster
Poster

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=Concord&st

Back to top Go down

Post  KathyK Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:41 pm

Sorry the day didn't go as you'd hoped. But as others have said, you workload leading up to the race, combined with not eating well or getting enough sleep all played into it.
Chicago is YOURS!
KathyK
KathyK
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:54 pm

Dave-O wrote:
Michele "1L" Keane wrote:It might just be called life, Dave-O. Haven't you been working mega hours on this trial? Honestly, that will so totally mess with you even when you think it shouldn't or couldn't. Don;t sweat it, bad runs/races are generally signs of good things to come - so don't go overdoing it by adding in faster or more miles because that will not do it. Stick with the plan and the taper, eat good, drink less (beer) and more (water), sleep well, de-stress and fuggedaboutit.

Yes, in the week leading up to this race, I was working until about 9-10 every night. I wasn't eating right and wasn't getting as much sleep as normal. I guess its possible that stress was a contributing factor, but I don't know, those just sound like excuses.

I am on board with your plan though.

It isn't an excuse, Dave-O - it is reality. As I tell my tennis team when they want me to play every Thrusday morning, "Some of us work for a living:D !". Don't sweat it and drink more (beer) after Chicago.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:09 pm

I'll just echo what others have said in that there's no way your performance wasn't effected by everything you had going on.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  healdgator Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:20 pm

It was a tune up, not the goal. BFD. Do well in your goal race, and you won't care about this one.
healdgator
healdgator
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  T Miller Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:04 am

Sorry the race didn't turn out as you had planned. I'm sure the lack of sleep, stress and poor diet of the last week played a huge part. Plus, the fact that it was a half during what was probably your peak week of marathon training is sure to cause problems. You executed the first 4 according to plan and you got in a great workout. Just continue to be smart and execute your plan and hopefully Chicago will turn out differently.
T Miller
T Miller
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt W Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:25 pm

^^^^^^This.

Chris M wrote:You are not performing poorly when it counts. This doesn't count. Mid-cycle races on non-tapered legs are a complete crap shoot. Sometimes you shock yourself with the fitness you are building up carrying you to a nice fast run (remember when you did CB10?) and sometimes the legs are stuck in mega training mode and not ready to race (Sunday). I know I've experienced more let downs than successes on doing races mid-cycle during marathon training and you do far more miles than me so it is not surprising that there will be some duds in there when it doesn't count. October 9 counts. Everything up until then is just prep and that's a nice MP workout you did.

^^^^^^and that.
Matt W
Matt W
Poster
Poster

http://www.redrockrunningcompany.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:56 pm

Yeah, Hall ran like 1:05 in a tune up and then knocked it out of the park at Boston this year right? Between the stress, long hours, crappy diet and impromptu race plan, I really don't think there's much to worry about (except the weather, but that's gonna screw us all if it sucks).
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:45 am

You have two weeks left before the race, Dave. DON'T try to increase fitness in these two weeks, I think that might be your natural reaction. Taper as normal so you are really fresh on race day.
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:06 pm

Chris M wrote:You are not performing poorly when it counts. This doesn't count. Mid-cycle races on non-tapered legs are a complete crap shoot. Sometimes you shock yourself with the fitness you are building up carrying you to a nice fast run (remember when you did CB10?) and sometimes the legs are stuck in mega training mode and not ready to race (Sunday). I know I've experienced more let downs than successes on doing races mid-cycle during marathon training and you do far more miles than me so it is not surprising that there will be some duds in there when it doesn't count. October 9 counts. Everything up until then is just prep and that's a nice MP workout you did.

+1 on this.

This wasn't a race. This was a glorified mid-cycle workout. Sometimes, mid-cycle workouts suck. This was one of them.

If you want to make this a more positive experience, listen to what Michele says - and then look back at the days and weeks before this race/workout. Maybe you'll find something different that helps explain why this time, the legs didn't answer.

It's not an excuse if you use the knowledge as a tool to refine your performance when it really counts - on race day. Isn't that why you run tune-up races, anyway?
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:09 pm

Go easy on your self. You a full time job with full time responsibilities all this can play a major role. Are we expected to perform our best during mid cycle races. Is not the point to peak for the big goal race. Move on and trust in the training as you said have faith it will all come together. Have you looked into meditation visualization prior to race events. A few coaches out there that offer this type of mental training!
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  GregC Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:53 pm

The real question is, could you have drank 13 beers in the 45 minutes immediately after the race?
GregC
GregC
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:00 pm

GregC wrote:The real question is, could you have drank 13 beers in the 45 minutes immediately after the race?

No.

But I could have drank 13 beers intermittenly while slowing my pace and completed both tasks with 2 hours. You will see my friend.
Dave-O
Dave-O

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:40 pm

Dave put this race in the past and don't even blink an eye about it. If I was to let every one of my 1/2 marathon tune-up races predict my goal race day, there would be a good chance I wouldn't have run a sub 3 yet.

Believe in yourself, your talent and your training. I really really feel that if you just relax forget all this other bullshit and just go out on Oct 9th and be the athlete I know you are great things will happen come Oct 9th. Time to believe and know that greatness awaits you, just give it 110% and there will be nothing to worry about.
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Ben Z Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:44 pm

Didn't Ryan Hall split like 1:04 in a half and then run 2:04 in a full? Stick with the plan Dave. Trust your 'marathon' training.
Ben Z
Ben Z
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  ssilvert Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:59 am

One more point that I don't think was made explicitly. Besides being in the middle of a training cycle, you were running a half marathon off full marathon training. Why couldn't you hit the gas? You presumably aren't training to hit the gas. There's a reason that the half is not such a great predictor of full marathon performance. There is just a huge physiological difference between the half and the full. A better predictor would be a 30K.

Good luck in your real race. You'll be ready.

Stan
ssilvert
ssilvert
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down