365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trooper Challenge 5K Mud Run-AG win!

4 posters

Go down

Trooper Challenge 5K Mud Run-AG win! Empty Trooper Challenge 5K Mud Run-AG win!

Post  KathyK Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:22 am

This was my first attempt at any sort of race other than road races. But when I saw this one advertised, I couldn't resist because it was just a few miles from my home.

It was sponsored by the North Carolina State Troopers and the North Carolina National Guard. The proceeds went to the Eve Carsen Memorial fund. Eve was the student body president at UNC-Chapel Hill that was murdered a few years ago. She was AMAZING.

I've been battling various niggles and injuries all spring and summer...ever since my last half marathon in April. So I am NOT in any kind of race shape at all. But this was a mud run, and I was in it for fun. I had no goal times, no expectations, other than to have fun.

There were about 200 runners. They did a 'wave' start, and let about 25 runners go each time. Straight up a steep, grassy hill. Because of my lack of race day fitness, I positioned myself in the last or second last wave..not sure which it was.

The first (of 7) obstacle was a bit more than a quarter mile into the race. It was a giant 'slip and slide' down a hill into a mud pit. It was a blast...but until I hit the mud, I had no idea how deep it was. I hit with a splash and found that it was waist deep, and I was totally covered. Head to toe mud.

The next section of the course was on the road and was very hilly. With mud covered shoes that felt like they weighed a ton. (I wore my Nike Free Runs)

On to the next obstacle...a large, long, mud hill.
Over that and up a long, steep hill grass hill. The next obstacle was the tire field. With mud covered shoes.

More trails along the pasture until the mud-filled sewer pipes....that emptied into another deep mud put. Out of that mud pit up another mud hill into another mud pit. At this one, there was someone with a fire hose spraying the runners and keeping the pit, well, muddy.

The next obstacle was the sand crawl. Belly crawl under tape lines in beach sand. The beach sand caked nicely on top of the mud that I was covered in.

Then over the round hay bales.

More trail running until the wall. Not much of a wall, really. There was a 'sissy step' there to help.

More trail running...loved that part. More hills, too. Lots of hills. Then several creek crossings. Finally, the last obstacle which was a really long mud pit. One must belly crawl the entire way....it felt like it was a mile long, but really was more like 50 ft.

Then a final sprint to the finish. I didn't wear any sort of watch, and I didn't see a finish clock, so I had NO IDEA of my time. I just knew that the course was tough, I walked when my HR felt high, and it kicked my butt, but I had a BLAST. I know that I passed a lot of people much younger than me. I was able to keep up with some strapping young men who are State Troopers from eastern N.C. I kidded them about being passed by an old lady who could be their momma. (They were precious, though, when it came time to do the creek crossings they offered me their hand to assist with clambering up the muddy banks)

When results were posted, I was shocked to see that I had won my age group...females 50 and over. There were only 6 or 7 of us over 50 women in the race, though...maybe not even that many. My time was 39:09... A very slow time. The overall winner finished in 23 and change, I think.

They gave nice medals to all of the age group award winners. Everyone got dog tags that said Trooper Challenge 2011.

I had a GREAT time and will definitely do this race again next year. I can honestly say, though, that I have never, ever, in my entire life, been that dirty! But oh what FUN!!
KathyK
KathyK
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Trooper Challenge 5K Mud Run-AG win! Empty Re: Trooper Challenge 5K Mud Run-AG win!

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:56 am

Woohoo! Congrats on the AG win! Not sure if I'd be up for the challenge.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Trooper Challenge 5K Mud Run-AG win! Empty Re: Trooper Challenge 5K Mud Run-AG win!

Post  Stephanie Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:14 pm

Nice AG win! Congrats! Sounds like quite the race!!
Stephanie
Stephanie
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave P Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:01 pm

What a blast Kathy!
Dave P
Dave P
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down