365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tanita scale deal

+4
Jerry
Ben Z
Julie
Jack_Scaff
8 posters

Go down

Tanita scale deal Empty Tanita scale deal

Post  Jack_Scaff Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:32 am

Not sure how good a deal this is, I don't own one as I think it would laugh at me when it came back at 58% fatso.

http://schwaggle.active.com/deal/2606/exclusive-discount-tanita-ironman-body-composition-monitors/national?cmp=24-4-66789-4
Jack_Scaff
Jack_Scaff
Poster
Poster

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=Concord&st

Back to top Go down

Tanita scale deal Empty Re: Tanita scale deal

Post  Julie Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:35 am

If anyone here owns one and has a review of it, I'd be interested.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Ben Z Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:28 pm

Julie wrote:If anyone here owns one and has a review of it, I'd be interested.

I own a Tanita scale and I'm a fan. Is it the most accurate body fat measurement (as well as the other measurements it can take: muscle mass, water percentage, etc.)? No, probably not. But I find it to be an easy, affordable way to track my weight, body fat % and hydration levels on a weekly basis.
Ben Z
Ben Z
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:32 pm

An old thread with some info:

https://i-team.forumotion.com/t602-body-fat-results-of-different-methodologies-of-determining

I have a cheaper model, around $40(don't remember). I don't know its accuracy, but the relative value is absolute correct.

Oh, my body fat % read is 14% with 135lbs and was 11% when I was leaner around 128-130lbs. It works.
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:40 pm

On the other hand, Jack, if you don't plan to get serious in training, don't buy it. It's been depressing looking at the % for a long time even though I have been training.
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:58 pm

My husband nixed the idea. Our scale works fine (it does). Oh well. It would be a cool upgrade if our scale dies but it's less than 2 yrs old.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:22 pm

Jerry wrote:An old thread with some info:

https://i-team.forumotion.com/t602-body-fat-results-of-different-methodologies-of-determining

I have a cheaper model, around $40(don't remember). I don't know its accuracy, but the relative value is absolute correct.

Oh, my body fat % read is 14% with 135lbs and was 11% when I was leaner around 128-130lbs. It works.

I still do not think that I would trust a scale to tell me what my percent body fat is...
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:27 pm

Nick Morris wrote:

I still do not think that I would trust a scale to tell me what my percent body fat is...

No, me either. But it is good enough to watch the change, which seems accurate in my case.
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:30 pm

Jerry wrote:
Nick Morris wrote:

No, me either. But it is good enough to watch the change, which seems accurate in my case.

Couldn't you just see the weight change with a normal scale if accuracy is not what you are looking for??
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:41 pm

Nick Morris wrote:
Jerry wrote:
Nick Morris wrote:

Couldn't you just see the weight change with a normal scale if accuracy is not what you are looking for??

Yes, I could. But if I get very discipline at diet, fish and vegetables only like Schuey, at some point in time, I like to see weight stay the same while the body fat % declines. See I am much smaller than Schuey and Tim, but not necessarily leaner.

I may never see the day though. lol!
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:36 pm

You are supposed to train for a marathon eating only fish and veggies?
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:52 pm

Julie wrote:You are supposed to train for a marathon eating only fish and veggies?

I defer the question to Schuey. Shocked
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:52 pm

Julie wrote:You are supposed to train for a marathon eating only fish and veggies?

Jerry wrote:

No you can train for a marathon and eat whatever you feel comfortable with eating.

I use to eat a lot of pasta and red meat and junk food. I found out that even though I was running and exercising my diet was not a very good one. So I made the choice to eat more fish, shell fish and fresh veggies and fruits. I still eat meat but when I do eat it is Bison meat due to it being leaner. I found by being on this diet that I was able to drop down to the weight that want to be at and become leaner and also help with my overall health.

I need to go back and find the guys blog but a few years back this guy finished 2nd at JFK 50 miler, has ran Western States and just one a big 100 mile ultra on the east coast and he is from NY and the guy only eats Veggies and Fruits and he only drinks water and fresh fruit juice. Yep you read that right, I was a little amazed when i read the guys blog and when I still read it today. The guy is pretty fast at the marathon also somewhere in the 2:30 range.

So yesterday there are people that are doing crazier things then myself with there diet.
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:16 pm

Schuey wrote:

Jerry wrote:

No you can train for a marathon and eat whatever you feel comfortable with eating.

I use to eat a lot of pasta and red meat and junk food. I found out that even though I was running and exercising my diet was not a very good one. So I made the choice to eat more fish, shell fish and fresh veggies and fruits. I still eat meat but when I do eat it is Bison meat due to it being leaner. I found by being on this diet that I was able to drop down to the weight that want to be at and become leaner and also help with my overall health.

I need to go back and find the guys blog but a few years back this guy finished 2nd at JFK 50 miler, has ran Western States and just one a big 100 mile ultra on the east coast and he is from NY and the guy only eats Veggies and Fruits and he only drinks water and fresh fruit juice. Yep you read that right, I was a little amazed when i read the guys blog and when I still read it today. The guy is pretty fast at the marathon also somewhere in the 2:30 range.

So yesterday there are people that are doing crazier things then myself with there diet.

Was there an article on this guy in Runner's World?? I recall reading about a guy who was a vegetarian or vegan and competed at a high level.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:19 pm

Jerry wrote:
Nick Morris wrote:
Jerry wrote:
Nick Morris wrote:

Yes, I could. But if I get very discipline at diet, fish and vegetables only like Schuey, at some point in time, I like to see weight stay the same while the body fat % declines. See I am much smaller than Schuey and Tim, but not necessarily leaner.

How does the scale know that you have lost fat, when you stayed the same weight?? scratchscratch
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:37 pm

Nick Morris wrote:
Schuey wrote:

Jerry wrote:

Was there an article on this guy in Runner's World?? I recall reading about a guy who was a vegetarian or vegan and competed at a high level.

Don't think there was an article about him in RW, I found his blog doing some searching about JFK and he runs with a tat on his chest that says

"Fruitarian" you all make what you will of it.

His race report for the JFK 50 was a really good read, but there is a lot of other wacky stuff he blogs about.
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:55 pm

Nick Morris wrote:
Jerry wrote:
Nick Morris wrote:
Jerry wrote:
Nick Morris wrote:

How does the scale know that you have lost fat, when you stayed the same weight?? scratchscratch

Some sort of electric wave going through the body blah blah blah. We are supposed to have dry barefoot and stay at the same water level etc to get more accurate result.

I don't know. It's a Japanese product. lol!
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:58 pm

Schuey wrote:
Nick Morris wrote:
Schuey wrote:

Jerry wrote:

Don't think there was an article about him in RW, I found his blog doing some searching about JFK and he runs with a tat on his chest that says

His race report for the JFK 50 was a really good read, but there is a lot of other wacky stuff he blogs about.

Matt did a pretty amazing job with 100mpw on V8 too.

Btw, out of respect to Schuey's opinion, though I always do, I had fish and vegetables for lunch today. McDonald fish sandwich and french fries and of cause diet coke.
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:58 pm

Fruititarians are nutcases. And this is coming from the vegan. Very Happy
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:13 pm

Jerry wrote:
Schuey wrote:
Nick Morris wrote:
Schuey wrote:

Jerry wrote:

Matt did a pretty amazing job with 100mpw on V8 too.

Btw, out of respect to Schuey's opinion, though I always do, I had fish and vegetables for lunch today. McDonald fish sandwich and french fries and of cause diet coke.

Sounds like a well balanced meal.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:11 pm

Scott Jurek is a vegan - 'nuff said.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life