365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What's up with my calf?

2 posters

Go down

What's up with my calf? Empty What's up with my calf?

Post  Tim C Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:37 pm

I've had calf cramping once in a while, but not for a year or more now. Monday I was running easy and my right calf started feeling like it was going to cramp. I stretched it a bit, tried to run but it didn't feel good so I walked home. Took some motrin, stretched, ate a couple of bananas. Nothing changed. Didn't get worse, didn't get better.

I ran Tuesday and felt it every step but it never got worse. Nothing sharp, just a dull ache. I'm convinced it is not cramping as usually I'll get that sharp pain and/or it goes away. This is still with me.

I've used a foam roller on it a few times, which is VERY painful, but it seems to help a bit. I can run thru it with no problem. Don't know if I should rest, or continue rolling it and running easy, or what. I'm just not sure what's going on.

Anyone have something similar?
Tim C
Tim C
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

What's up with my calf? Empty Re: What's up with my calf?

Post  Jim Lentz Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:30 pm

What part of the calf, Tim? I sometimes have my soleus get tender and it's harder to roll and stretch than the outer calf muscle. Do you have any other niggles that might cause you to alter your stride?
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim C Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:43 pm

Jim Lentz wrote:What part of the calf, Tim? I sometimes have my soleus get tender and it's harder to roll and stretch than the outer calf muscle. Do you have any other niggles that might cause you to alter your stride?

It's the middle of the calf, half way between the back and the outside. Normally when I experience any cramping, it's the middle back, not towards the outside.

I should have mentioned that I have been trying to concentrate on landing a bit more mid-foot, rather than heel-striking. That may be the cause, however I still don't know what's actually wrong. I do know that in order to run right now, I can't work on that and am just allowing my foot to land however it wants to.
Tim C
Tim C
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:57 pm

Tim C wrote:
Jim Lentz wrote:What part of the calf, Tim? I sometimes have my soleus get tender and it's harder to roll and stretch than the outer calf muscle. Do you have any other niggles that might cause you to alter your stride?

It's the middle of the calf, half way between the back and the outside. Normally when I experience any cramping, it's the middle back, not towards the outside.

I should have mentioned that I have been trying to concentrate on landing a bit more mid-foot, rather than heel-striking. That may be the cause, however I still don't know what's actually wrong. I do know that in order to run right now, I can't work on that and am just allowing my foot to land however it wants to.

Could be the outside of the soleus. When I overwork the soleus I usually get pain towards the inside of my calf as I seem to work that part the hardest. My inner calves are definitely more developed than the outer part of the calves.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down