365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How to survive running in the heat

+21
sir digby
mountandog
ChasMcG
Mrs. Schuey
Julie
Kevin L
Kenny B.
Michael Mitchell
Randy E
Nick Morris
Michele "1L" Keane
Pete B
Mark B
Schuey
Jerry
mul21
JohnP
John Kilpatrick
ounce
Dave-O
Diego
25 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

How to survive running in the heat - Page 2 Empty Re: How to survive running in the heat

Post  Jerry Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:42 pm

Mrs. Schuey wrote:
Julie wrote:Drink lots, it'll be slower and harder and it doesn't last forever. Soon we'll be complaining about the ice and snow.

Oy, don't remind me! I've told people repeatedly around here, that while it's really hot out, I'll take this over the ice and snow ANY DAY! I hate that crap and it seems to last longer! Sad How 'bout this for a reminder as to the crap snow and ice:

How to survive running in the heat - Page 2 Img0279hv

How to survive running in the heat - Page 2 Img0262e

How to survive running in the heat - Page 2 Img0270oo

How to survive running in the heat - Page 2 Img0273e

Yeah, I'll take the heat, thank you very much! Razz

I don't understand why folks go out under this weather condition either. scratch
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

How to survive running in the heat - Page 2 Empty Re: How to survive running in the heat

Post  Mrs. Schuey Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:46 pm

Jerry wrote:

I don't understand why folks go out under this weather condition either. scratch

Because we're crazy!!!! Mwahahaha! How to survive running in the heat - Page 2 Crazyemoticon

Mrs. Schuey
Mrs. Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  sir digby Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:32 pm

Nope, no complaints, not after the winter I just ran through. So although last nights 10 miles sucked hard and tonights 6 will as well it still beats bundling up and running in sub zero temps on icey sidewalks, through snow banks. Besides, I get to pop my top in this weather for the ladies...
sir digby
sir digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin L Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:37 pm

sir digby wrote:Nope, no complaints, not after the winter I just ran through. So although last nights 10 miles sucked hard and tonights 6 will as well it still beats bundling up and running in sub zero temps on icey sidewalks, through snow banks. Besides, I get to pop my top in this weather for the ladies...

Sun's out guns out!
Kevin L
Kevin L

http://sweatengine.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:21 pm

WATER, WATER, WATER, and more WATER!!!
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  ChasMcG Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:20 pm

Mrs. Schuey wrote:
ChasMcG wrote:Okay I'm with Lisa on this one. UNLESS I have my board and then I'm skipping a run and hitting the powder.

But for a run....yeah give me some heat and sun. Hell I'll even take the humidity. Okay...let's not get crazy! F that humidity!

Speaking of heat and humidity, check out the forecast for Chicago today. The Dew point is sitting at a nice, cozy, 75 degrees, too.

3 pm
96° F
Real Feel
109° F
Humidity
52%

4 pm
96° F
Real Feel
109° F

5 pm
96° F
Real Feel
109° F

5:15 pm
96° F
Real Feel
110° F

6 pm
96° F
Real Feel
109° F

7 pm
94°F
Real Feel
108°F

How to survive running in the heat - Page 2 63558857 How to survive running in the heat - Page 2 63558857 How to survive running in the heat - Page 2 63558857 How to survive running in the heat - Page 2 63558857 How to survive running in the heat - Page 2 63558857 How to survive running in the heat - Page 2 63558857 How to survive running in the heat - Page 2 63558857

Well Denver has been bad but not that bad! Wow! What does that even feel like? It doesn't scare me, if I had a chance to live there, I would in a minute! I love CHICAGO!
ChasMcG
ChasMcG
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:37 am

it feels like you step out into a sauna and it's hard to breathe the first few days. Then you get used to sweating about 2-4 extra lbs on top of the water you're already drinking. Not fun.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Peg Coover Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:55 am

Kevin L wrote:I actually choose to train in the heat voluntarily. As long as I'm safe (being hydrated and replenishing my electrolytes), I prefer to run in extreme weather. It feels so much easier when I actually race in cool weather. But again, maybe I'm just a masochist. Well, aren't we all in a way?

As long as there are cool beverages in the cooler, who cares how hot it is? (your avatar, Kevin!)

No, I can handle the heat okay but I have to have water available every 2-3 miles. With this heat wave I've actually gotten up earlier too, but when you run for 3 hours, you are bound to have some sun at the end of the run, but the temps aren't ridiculous yet.

Lisa, I am with you all the way--keep that snow away. 2010 we had a ton of snow. January 2011 my hubby wanted to buy a snowblower and I said, if we got through last year without it we can get through this year. A week later we got a bunch of snow and I injured my hammie shoveling. So, we bought a snow blower at the end of the season, yet to be used. I told him I don't care if we never get to use it, it will be worth the $$$!!!
Peg Coover
Peg Coover
Regular
Regular

http://web.mac.com/cooverp/MrsCoover/Welcome.html

Back to top Go down

Post  Mrs. Schuey Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:26 am

ChasMcG wrote:What does that even feel like?

It feels like this: when you're cooking dinner in the oven, say broil, and it's time to check on the food. You open the door to the oven and that feeling of heat you get on your face and arms is what it's like. Literally. Flame Flame

Mrs. Schuey
Mrs. Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:59 am

Mrs. Schuey wrote:
Julie wrote:Drink lots, it'll be slower and harder and it doesn't last forever. Soon we'll be complaining about the ice and snow.

Oy, don't remind me! I've told people repeatedly around here, that while it's really hot out, I'll take this over the ice and snow ANY DAY! I hate that crap and it seems to last longer! Sad How 'bout this for a reminder as to the crap snow and ice:

How to survive running in the heat - Page 2 Img0279hv

How to survive running in the heat - Page 2 Img0262e

How to survive running in the heat - Page 2 Img0270oo

How to survive running in the heat - Page 2 Img0273e

Yeah, I'll take the heat, thank you very much! Razz

Oh my. Wave of second thoughts about moving here just hit me. I'm so glad I'm moving in the summer!

The heat is an excuse to run in a sportsbra alone with no shirt....Cool
Penelope
Penelope
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:04 pm

You might regret the move, P as it was much warmer (and as humid) in the upper midwest this past week than Atlanta. In fact, yesterday at 5 PM, it was cooler in Atlanta than here in western NY state.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:47 pm

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:You might regret the move, P as it was much warmer (and as humid) in the upper midwest this past week than Atlanta. In fact, yesterday at 5 PM, it was cooler in Atlanta than here in western NY state.

I here you...I was just in North Carolina and it was 10 to 15 degrees cooler than the Midwest with less humidity. Although, I am glad I left when I did. The highs for Friday through Sunday in Greensboro are supposed to be 97 each day.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:03 pm

jimd wrote:
The #1 way to have a good run is drinking a icy slurry to lower the core temp before you leave the door. 16 ounces of a slushy/slurpee kind of mixture just before the run can increase running time to exhaustion by 20 minutes.

How close in time do you need to drink the slurpee for the benefit? If I drink one at 5:00 for a 6:30 race, is that too far apart?
Dave-O
Dave-O

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:28 pm

Dave-O wrote:
jimd wrote:
The #1 way to have a good run is drinking a icy slurry to lower the core temp before you leave the door. 16 ounces of a slushy/slurpee kind of mixture just before the run can increase running time to exhaustion by 20 minutes.

How close in time do you need to drink the slurpee for the benefit? If I drink one at 5:00 for a 6:30 race, is that too far apart?

I think that would be way to far away from the run to get the benefit Dave. From what I have read it sounds like you should do it right before the run. I might be wrong but that is what my take on it is. In this below article the study said that it could help for up to 50 mins and would work well for a 5k-10k race.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/27/health/nutrition/27best.html
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:34 pm

Dave-O wrote:
jimd wrote:

Schuey wrote:
Dave-O wrote:
jimd wrote:

I think that would be way to far away from the run to get the benefit Dave. From what I have read it sounds like you should do it right before the run. I might be wrong but that is what my take on it is. In this below article the study said that it could help for up to 50 mins and would work well for a 5k-10k race.

[url=http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/27/health/nutrition/27best.html
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/27/health/nutrition/27best.html[/quote[/url]]

Correct. I'd do it 15-30 minutes from the start of the race and throw some chunks of ice under your ?white cap.
Diego
Diego
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:36 pm

Schuey wrote:

[url=http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/27/health/nutrition/27best.html
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/27/health/nutrition/27best.html[/quote[/url]]

Thanks Schuey. I'll leave it in my cooler and drink it as close to the starting gun as possible.
Dave-O
Dave-O

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:36 pm

jimd wrote:

Correct. I'd do it 15-30 minutes from the start of the race and throw some chunks of ice under your ?white cap.

Perfect. I have cold sponges in my cooler as well which should help stay as cool as possible in the tend beforehand.
Dave-O
Dave-O

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:38 pm

If you *really* want an advantage... wrap your calf muscles in ice for about 15 minutes before you start your warmup...

There's no study behind it, I just think it would awesome. What a Face

EDIT: Precool...

"After pre-cooling, the runners’ rectal temperatures were lower by 1.2 degrees Fahrenheit. Subjects averaged 7,252 meters during the control trial and 7,556 meters after pre-cooling, for an increase of 304 meters (just over 4%). This improvement is equivalent to over 1 minute for a 5 mile race."

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  sir digby Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:35 pm

whose volunteering to take Dave's temp pre race?
sir digby
sir digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:51 pm

sir digby wrote:whose volunteering to take Dave's temp pre race?

NOT IT!!!!!
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:56 pm

I'll send a firm wide email. I bet the partners will be more than willing.
Dave-O
Dave-O

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:04 pm

Dave-O wrote:

What about post race? affraid
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  healdgator Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:09 pm

The "Beat the Heat" 5K is tonight at 7. That's not beating the heat at all. It will still be low 90s and humid as shit at that time. I'm likely to pass this year.
healdgator
healdgator
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:10 pm

Dave-O wrote:

HAHAHAHA lol! lol!
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:27 pm

mul21 wrote:
Dave-O wrote:

What about post race? affraid

With enough beer in them, I bet he'd get lots of volunteers.cherry
Diego
Diego
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next