365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

KenZen - Running Alone Ain't So Lonely

+25
Glenn
T Miller
Paula Sue
Jerry
Michael Enright
jon c
Randy E
JohnP
Stephanie
Nick Morris
Natalie
Mrs. Schuey
Schuey
Julie
Peg Coover
Alex Kubacki
John Kilpatrick
Mike MacLellan
Penelope
Seth Harrison
Michele "1L" Keane
mul21
Jim Lentz
Tom H
Kenny B.
29 posters

Page 17 of 22 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 22  Next

Go down

KenZen - Running Alone Ain't So Lonely - Page 17 Empty Re: KenZen - Running Alone Ain't So Lonely

Post  T Miller Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:34 am

Kenny, your running is looking fantastic. I can't wait to see how your half turns out. I hope it's a great one for you!
T Miller
T Miller
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

KenZen - Running Alone Ain't So Lonely - Page 17 Empty Re: KenZen - Running Alone Ain't So Lonely

Post  Kenny B. Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:40 am

T Miller wrote:Kenny, your running is looking fantastic. I can't wait to see how your half turns out. I hope it's a great one for you!

Tim - Thanks sooooo much. Other then some freak thing I should have a very nice showing at this HM. I do feel 1:34 is a bit conservative so goal will be 1:33 right now Ill go out first mile 7:30 then hone in on 7:10 and maybe work my way down from there.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:20 pm

Looks like you would kill a 10k, dude, you are FLYIN'!

I can never find 10k races - they seem to be a dying breed. Sad, as I really like that distance.
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:40 pm

If you don't shoot for 3:15, I'll be a little disappointed. You're in a lot better shape than you think you are. 7:24 miles gets you a 3:14.
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:23 pm

mul21 wrote:If you don't shoot for 3:15, I'll be a little disappointed. You're in a lot better shape than you think you are. 7:24 miles gets you a 3:14.

You're scaring me! affraid I'd have to run a 1:32 half marathon or 7:02 pace ouch. Ok. I am going to all out this HM so lets see what happens. 3:15 does sound lovely. But it don't get me to Boston until next September! LOL
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:32 pm

Sounds like you have a great plan for the HM - with what you have been doing it wouldn't surprise me to see you wiggle your way to something close to a 7:00 pace. As usual, your training is looking very solid - you are a machine dude!

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:42 pm

Kenny B. wrote:
mul21 wrote:If you don't shoot for 3:15, I'll be a little disappointed. You're in a lot better shape than you think you are. 7:24 miles gets you a 3:14.

You're scaring me! affraid I'd have to run a 1:32 half marathon or 7:02 pace ouch. Ok. I am going to all out this HM so lets see what happens. 3:15 does sound lovely. But it don't get me to Boston until next September! LOL

Actually it does. As long as it's a race in the qualifying period, it's your age on Boston raceday that matters.
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:35 pm

mul21 wrote:
Kenny B. wrote:

Actually it does. As long as it's a race in the qualifying period, it's your age on Boston raceday that matters.

I just turned 39 sept 11th. Hartford or Philly if I run 3:15 I qualify for what year Boston? Are you sure?
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:55 pm

Kenny B. wrote:
mul21 wrote:
Kenny B. wrote:

I just turned 39 sept 11th. Hartford or Philly if I run 3:15 I qualify for what year Boston? Are you sure?

Yep, qualifying for Boston 2013 starts on September 27th. This is the first year Chicago can't be used for 2 years of qualifying with the change in the period you can qualify. My race this fall is going to get me my BQ (hopefully) for 2013. I was going for the 2012 BQ in April when I was still 34 to BQ for Boston in 2012 when I'll be 35.
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:13 pm

Welcome back Kenny!! Great run today.

As for your race goal, I think that you should shoot for your goal of 3:20 and if you are feeling good during the race, let it go and try for something closer to 3:15. What would you rather do...Run for the goal you trained for and obtain it, which boosts your confidence for next year. Or try for 3:15, crash and burn, and finish with a 3:30 something...crushing your confidence...
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:00 pm

Nick Morris wrote:Welcome back Kenny!! Great run today.

As for your race goal, I think that you should shoot for your goal of 3:20 and if you are feeling good during the race, let it go and try for something closer to 3:15. What would you rather do...Run for the goal you trained for and obtain it, which boosts your confidence for next year. Or try for 3:15, crash and burn, and finish with a 3:30 something...crushing your confidence...

I tend to agree strongly but I will wait until I see what my time is for the half Sunday.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:05 pm

Kenny B. wrote:
Nick Morris wrote:Welcome back Kenny!! Great run today.

I tend to agree strongly but I will wait until I see what my time is for the half Sunday.

The HM will definitely give you a sense of what your fitness level is. But no matter what I run on Sunday in my HM, I am still only shooting for a sub 3:05. I could probably try for sub 3:00, but I want to get to 3:05 first...
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:02 pm

I vote for seeing how the HM goes and then deciding on the marathon goal. But, I think goals should be fluid rather than set in stone. If your training is going really well, which it looks like it is, why not modify your goal a little? See how your pace runs go, but I think if you think you can do it, you should go for it. Obviously not dropping the pace so much that you risk crashing, but carefully lowering your time goal seems reasonable. But the half will be one more piece of data that you have to help. Good luck in it! Keep up the great work!
Penelope
Penelope
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:10 am

Penelope wrote:I vote for seeing how the HM goes and then deciding on the marathon goal. But, I think goals should be fluid rather than set in stone. If your training is going really well, which it looks like it is, why not modify your goal a little? See how your pace runs go, but I think if you think you can do it, you should go for it. Obviously not dropping the pace so much that you risk crashing, but carefully lowering your time goal seems reasonable. But the half will be one more piece of data that you have to help. Good luck in it! Keep up the great work!

I agree. Of course I don't want to crash and lose a PR all together.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:21 am

Time/Weather: 6:00am - 67 degrees nice out.

Training: 5 recovery miles

Goal: To recover!

Results:
HR a super low 130 avg pace w/ slower 9:46 pace

Notes:
Simple 5 mile recovery run. Actually glad it was not my typically back to back hard days. Which is a good sign I am close to needing taper forMarathon. Pace on the slower side but HR was very low 130 just about out of my zone on the low end. All good signs I am ready for HM Sunday.

I am looking forward to one more peak week then tapering. I can tell my body is due for some cutback!

Tomorrow
I am thinking about 12 miles with last 3 @ MP not sure yet. Then 2 days of easy running before HM.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:23 pm

Just noticed last weeks 75 miles was my longest to date. Thought I had a 77 somewhere but guess not. Still got an 80 to do and looking at last cycle this cycle was a bit more intense and more volume with peaking at much better time.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:06 pm

Kenny FWIW I too am facing a similar type of time goal decision minus the BQ. After thinking about it I decided if I feel good then I'm going for the more ambitious goal. The one thing I didn't want to happen was to finish knowing I left time on the table. If I get to a certain point and realize I'm breathing too heavily or my legs are dying then I'll back off. I feel like I worked too hard this summer not to go for it. That's just me and my thought process though.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:40 pm

Alex Kubacki wrote:Kenny FWIW I too am facing a similar type of time goal decision minus the BQ. After thinking about it I decided if I feel good then I'm going for the more ambitious goal. The one thing I didn't want to happen was to finish knowing I left time on the table. If I get to a certain point and realize I'm breathing too heavily or my legs are dying then I'll back off. I feel like I worked too hard this summer not to go for it. That's just me and my thought process though.

Alex - I hear you! I will know more after this Sunday's HM. I think 3:19 is a smart goal for me where 3:15 is a stretch to say the least. My concern would be imploding going out with 3:15 in mind and not even PR'ing or getting sub 3:20. Then again I have philly 5 weeks later and I tend to do better in the back up marathon. So I have lots of options. But right now the HM is the goal race and I am starting to feel the nerves. Especially since i am doing race day packet pick up. I usually like have all that stuff taken care of beforehand.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:22 pm

No guts no glory Kenny! I'm a risk taker though, I'd rather have a spectacular blow up on the off chance that I might actually hit my goal.

As they say, go big or go home!

**steps off his Chris McKee pedestal**
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:53 pm

You know my stance on this topic...
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:31 am

You might suprise yourself with that 1:32...
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:12 pm

mul21 wrote:No guts no glory Kenny! I'm a risk taker though, I'd rather have a spectacular blow up on the off chance that I might actually hit my goal.

As they say, go big or go home!

**steps off his Chris McKee pedestal**

I am a risk taker but calculated one!

Nick Morris wrote:You know my stance on this topic...

Yes I do!

Jim Lentz wrote:You might suprise yourself with that 1:32...

I might if legs feel good and wind is in my favor.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:15 pm

Today I ran 11 miles instead 12. First 11 avg. 8:21 pretty quick the last 2 where a bit faster then MP 7:30. Judging by HR the run went great HR 154 and only 166ish during MP but legs where a bit tight and overall I felt sluggish or maybe sore kind of odd since I felt very good on yesterdays recovery run.

I am hoping with fri and sat easy recovery runs I will be fresh for Sunday to blast a new PR and touch down on 1:33 maybe 1:32.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:08 pm

A little sore wouldn't surprise me - haven't you upped your mileage from
what is your norm? Your training has gone extremely well and I wish
you all the best for you HM. I think EASY recovery runs would be great
prior to the half, but might it be even better to take one day off (or
just do a really light workout on Saturday)? You know what your doing -
I just like personally to have a really down day (maybe a few strides
or something) before a race. Oh, and you could so break 20 in a 5K if you so desire!

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:55 pm

Run well on Sunday, Kenny! I know you will. Enjoy!!
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 17 of 22 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 22  Next