365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Todd Beamer Memorial 10K

4 posters

Go down

Todd Beamer Memorial 10K Empty Todd Beamer Memorial 10K

Post  nkrichards Mon Jul 10, 2023 11:28 pm

I did not go into this run with a very good attitude after my disappointing results a couple weeks ago.  And the responsibility of helping put on the race didn't help.  I had pretty much decided to treat it as a nice training run and just have fun.  I did have fun btw.

Race morning was hectic and I got stuck at the registration table and did not get my warm up done.  I finally snuck off to use the restroom just before it was time to board the bus....and they handed me the microphone and said I was in charge of commentary.  What?  Not in my comfort zone!  I could not remember all of Bud's (Todd's Dad) jokes.  I did remember the important things concerning the route, the aid station, and most importantly the cattle guard.  We leap over a cattle guard at mile 2.  I say leap but there is actually a small piece of plywood to step on but you do need to slow so that it doesn't slide.  On the bright side there were very few cow pies on the road and no herds of cattle this year.  What can I say...it's Madras.  Oh and I did remind everyone to have fun.

I did get in a short half mile warm up at the start...and found a tree.  My legs and arms felt like jello.  I think the adrenaline had been flowing.  Bud gave his usual talk reminding us that the things we do for ourselves die with us but the things we do for others live on.  And we were off.  No time for nervousness.

Coach Melissa advised me to take it easy, starting at HMP...9:40ish...and then just see how I felt.  I felt awful...and then I warmed up and started feeling okay.
  1. 9:33  Careful...don't get to carried away.
  2. 9:24  Damn the road seems rough this year (it's gravel)
  3. 9:21  I wonder if I can catch that group in front of me?
  4. 9:14  I passed a couple people...and I'm gaining on the big group.
  5. 9:22  How can this slight incline feel so hard?  And why does running on pavement now feel awkward.  Hey...I'm still passing people.  Here we go.
  6. 8:47  Where did that come from?  Passed a few more runners and here comes the finish.
  7. @7:49  And I'm still standing!

Overall pace 9:14.  Not the same pacing strategy as the last couple years but it got the job done!
57:03 official time.

Overall 27/41
Female 12/20
AG 2/2  lol

Mario recruited some speedsters from Bend.  
Men's winning time 32:22 just missing out on the record Mario set last year.
Women's winning time 38:16 setting a new record and receiving a pair of shoes from Brooks for the result.
The other lady in my AG ran 49:42.  She's a nationally ranked masters runner.  I didn't stand a chance.

We had a record 217 total participants in the 4 events. (10K, 5K run, 5K walk, 2 mi fun run)
We raised a record $12,225 for the scholarship fund. ($3725 registration fees and $8500 sponsor donations)  I'm waiting for a couple of the expenses to come in but most are donated so the total cost will be less than $500.  It was a successful day.  

And it was fun!

I should add that when I ran my first 5K in 2007 I was planning on one and done.  But the community aspect of running caught my attention.  And this race exemplifies that community aspect more than any race I've participated in.  They pulled me through in 2015 as I ran my first post cardiac event.  

The Todd Beamer Memorial Run is the only event that I have completed every single year since I started running!  I'm proud to now be helping put the event on as Bud ages and the family needs help.

Did I mention that I had fun?
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Todd Beamer Memorial 10K Empty Re: Todd Beamer Memorial 10K

Post  ounce Tue Jul 11, 2023 6:43 pm

Nice report, Nancy.  Now, you have 1 year's experience of microphone holder and NOBODY will be able to take it away from you.

Do you think having the timing mats helped with registrations?

Nice splits, too!  Now to rest for the rest of the Summer!  
Frustration
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

nkrichards likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Jul 14, 2023 10:40 am

Woot! Nice job on the race - and having fun!

Coming in second in your AG is always nice to see - no matter how many people were in it! Very Happy

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

nkrichards likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Sun Oct 01, 2023 8:09 pm

Nice job!! Being handed a microphone on short notice isn't my idea of a fun time, either, but I'm sure it was appreciated.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down