365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Running Socks

+11
Jerry
Nick Morris
ChasMcG
Matt W
Ken Mello
Peg Coover
Mark B
Pete B
Joel H
Chris M
healdgator
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Running Socks Empty Running Socks

Post  healdgator Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:22 pm

In the past, I just ran in normal athletic socks. After reading more (including these forums), I bought some wright socks last year for long runs and have bought a few similar brands this year. I never really have had problems with blisters from the old socks, but I wasn't running 20 miles either.

Here's the problem: I hate those socks. They wick away all the sweat - straight into my shoes. My shoes are now disgusting. I can't believe that it makes a difference, but it does. What do you people wear? I'm tired of my shoes being soaking wet a whole day later.
healdgator
healdgator
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Running Socks Empty Re: Running Socks

Post  Chris M Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:52 pm

I've been experimenting around with a bunch of different ones (Nike, Asics primarily but others too) and the ones I currently like most are Balega. See link below. I just bought them because I liked the little stick figure dude but the Ventillator and Enduro ones are my favorites I own now.

Running Socks 27520_114899958548713_6431_n

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=balega+socks&tag=googhydr-20&index=apparel&hvadid=4601212277&ref=pd_sl_38qd9ztqkg_e#
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Joel H Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:55 pm

Not socks perse but what I use to dry out my shoes since I live in similar conditions that you do (I live in Houston, TX) is something called Stuffitts Shoe Savers (http://www.stuffitts.com/). They reduce the drying of my shoes from a couple of days down to a couple of hours at most. They reduce the smell as well since it has cedar inside of it. They cost about $20-$25 but are worth every penny.

Running Socks Image1
Joel H
Joel H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Pete B Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:21 pm

Joel H wrote:Not socks perse but what I use to dry out my shoes since I live in similar conditions that you do (I live in Houston, TX) is something called Stuffitts Shoe Savers (http://www.stuffitts.com/). They reduce the drying of my shoes from a couple of days down to a couple of hours at most. They reduce the smell as well since it has cedar inside of it. They cost about $20-$25 but are worth every penny.

Running Socks Image1

Cool - just ordered a couple pair from Amazon - my shoes stink! Shocked

But I swear by the Wright Socks Double Layer Anti-Blister Socks - never had a single blister since using them.
Pete B
Pete B
Poster
Poster

http://www.ahouseinthewoods.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Joel H Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:23 pm

Pete B wrote:
Joel H wrote:Not socks perse but what I use to dry out my shoes since I live in similar conditions that you do (I live in Houston, TX) is something called Stuffitts Shoe Savers (http://www.stuffitts.com/). They reduce the drying of my shoes from a couple of days down to a couple of hours at most. They reduce the smell as well since it has cedar inside of it. They cost about $20-$25 but are worth every penny.

Running Socks Image1

Cool - just ordered a couple pair from Amazon - my shoes stink! Shocked

Sweet - if you have size 10 1/2 - 12 shoes I have a pair that I can't use (I bought the wrong size) and I can give them to you in January (at the Houston Marathon) if you want. Just let me know.
Joel H
Joel H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:32 pm

Yipes. I was going to suggest Wright Socks, but that's not working out for you. Did you get the types with CoolMesh? Those have worked pretty well for me over the years.

The real key is to avoid cotton. It gets pretty abrasive when it gets wet, and that can mean blisters on longer runs.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  healdgator Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:35 pm

Thanks, Joel!
Just ordered a pair
healdgator
healdgator
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  healdgator Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:39 pm

Mark B wrote:Yipes. I was going to suggest Wright Socks, but that's not working out for you. Did you get the types with CoolMesh? Those have worked pretty well for me over the years.

The real key is to avoid cotton. It gets pretty abrasive when it gets wet, and that can mean blisters on longer runs.

That's what I have. After the first 5 or 6 miles, it feels like I'm running in a puddle. Frankly, I prefer the cotton.
healdgator
healdgator
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Peg Coover Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:48 pm

healdgator wrote:
Mark B wrote:Yipes. I was going to suggest Wright Socks, but that's not working out for you. Did you get the types with CoolMesh? Those have worked pretty well for me over the years.

That's what I have. After the first 5 or 6 miles, it feels like I'm running in a puddle. Frankly, I prefer the cotton.

I swear by Wright socks--no blisters. I never attributed my wet shoes to the wicking effect, though! My shoes are gross too, and I run on gravel, so they get wet from sweat and then dirty from the road...oh well! Better than blisters!
Peg Coover
Peg Coover
Regular
Regular

http://web.mac.com/cooverp/MrsCoover/Welcome.html

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Mello Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:57 pm

How much do you people's feet sweat?!? Shocked

But seriously, i use Brooks thin socks, and have no issues. But apparently foot sweat is not an issue for me
Ken Mello
Ken Mello
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt W Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:42 pm

Chris M wrote:I've been experimenting around with a bunch of different ones (Nike, Asics primarily but others too) and the ones I currently like most are Balega. See link below. I just bought them because I liked the little stick figure dude but the Ventillator and Enduro ones are my favorites I own now.

Running Socks 27520_114899958548713_6431_n

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=balega+socks&tag=googhydr-20&index=apparel&hvadid=4601212277&ref=pd_sl_38qd9ztqkg_e#

I run almost exclusively in Balega, but I'm all about hidden comfort style, although I do have some of the other types.
Matt W
Matt W
Poster
Poster

http://www.redrockrunningcompany.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  ChasMcG Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:37 am

I wear the Walmart special. They don't typically last but a few washes Smile Thin. Holes after one time wearing them. Lots of air to dry up that sweat!

They do come in pink if you're interested!

Very Happy
ChasMcG
ChasMcG
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:42 am

I go with Balega Hidden Dry Low Cut Socks for the most part. But I also have a few others that I mix in.

http://www.runningwarehouse.com/descpage-BHDLS.html

Running Socks BHDLS-BK-1
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:06 am

Nick Morris wrote:I go with Balega Hidden Dry Low Cut Socks for the most part. But I also have a few others that I mix in.

http://www.runningwarehouse.com/descpage-BHDLS.html

Running Socks BHDLS-BK-1

I stopped buying low cut ones as they don't work for all shoes.
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:36 am

I've heard using anti-persparent on your feet before a run can help. Tried it and it seemed fine, although my feet don't sweat as much as you've described.
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:31 pm

I was having massive blister issues before I switched to the Write Double-Layer sock. I love them. I think the double-layer keeps my shoes from being a mess from the sweat.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  healdgator Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:36 pm

Honestly, though I sweat truckloads, I never noticed a problem with my feet until I switched to these tech running socks.
healdgator
healdgator
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:34 pm

healdgator wrote:Honestly, though I sweat truckloads, I never noticed a problem with my feet until I switched to these tech running socks.
Did the cotton socks get drenched instead of the shoes? I have only had a couple of times when my shoes have been soaked from sweat, but that has a lot to do with being in the midwest.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  healdgator Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:37 pm

Jim Lentz wrote:
healdgator wrote:Honestly, though I sweat truckloads, I never noticed a problem with my feet until I switched to these tech running socks.
Did the cotton socks get drenched instead of the shoes? I have only had a couple of times when my shoes have been soaked from sweat, but that has a lot to do with being in the midwest.

They were certainly get nasty, but I never felt like I was running in a marsh.
healdgator
healdgator
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:55 pm

healdgator wrote:
Jim Lentz wrote:

They were certainly get nasty, but I never felt like I was running in a marsh.
Perhaps a tech sock with more meat to it, like the Balaga would work better for you. It would hold more of the sweat in the sock and not transfer it to the shoe liner.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  healdgator Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:58 pm

Thanks, will try the balaga.
healdgator
healdgator
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:10 pm

healdgator wrote:Thanks, will try the balaga.

You ever try putting plastic bags over your feet?? J/K...you should try the balegas. They make a comfort sock that has more substance for cushioning which would be better than their thinner lightweight model.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:29 pm

You can put newspaper in your shoes to dry them too. The water will be absorbed into the paper. I do this after a run in the rain.

I wear smartwool socks usually.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Pete B Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:43 am

Joel H wrote:Sweet - if you have size 10 1/2 - 12 shoes I have a pair that I can't use (I bought the wrong size) and I can give them to you in January (at the Houston Marathon) if you want. Just let me know.

Thanks Joel - but I'm a size 9.
Pete B
Pete B
Poster
Poster

http://www.ahouseinthewoods.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Mello Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:42 pm

Pete B wrote:
Joel H wrote:Sweet - if you have size 10 1/2 - 12 shoes I have a pair that I can't use (I bought the wrong size) and I can give them to you in January (at the Houston Marathon) if you want. Just let me know.

Thanks Joel - but I'm a size 9.

Well lucky for you, Joel, I wear a size 12. Very Happy
Ken Mello
Ken Mello
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next