365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PHT, Cadence, Foot strike...recovery and rebuilding

5 posters

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

PHT, Cadence, Foot strike...recovery and rebuilding Empty PHT, Cadence, Foot strike...recovery and rebuilding

Post  nkrichards Thu Feb 10, 2022 1:22 pm

Last post in "It's all about the base" and first post in a new blog.  It's a good time.

COVID just would not go away.  I would feel better for a day or two and then my fever would return.  First symptoms on Jan 22nd.  Fever was gone and didn't return after the 4th so just under two weeks.  But I'm still extremely tired and my stomach is just not right yet.  I tried to run off and on when I felt better but finally we did a complete reset.  I've got all easy runs at very low distances on my calendar for this week.  I'm getting through them and glad I'm not trying to do more.

To complicate things...I was symptom free and tested negative on the date of my PT appointment so was able to keep the appointment.  Official diagnosis is Proximal Hamstring Tendinopathy.  He didn't order a scan as he was pretty confident in his diagnosis.  He did indicate that he would expect to see significant scar tissue as the issue has been going on for so long...off and on for nearly 40 years.  We ran out of time to discuss some of the details.  I left with instruction not to do strides or deadlifts.  He did give me a couple exercises that he wanted me to do daily...supine hamstring stretch and bridge walkouts stopping at the point of discomfort.  He indicated we would talk more about the exercises I could do safely during recovery at my next visit and gradually increase the intensity as healing progressed.  For now I've stopped doing my strength workouts...partially because I haven't had the energy and partially to wait and see what he thinks I can safely do as I heal.

He also did a quick video of me on the treadmill revealing...no surprise...a slight heel strike.  It's mild but he wants me to work on it.  Once again we didn't get into specifics...for now he just wanted me to be aware and try for a more mid-foot strike.  He did mention that it was unreasonable to expect to run at a cadence of 180 at the pace I'm running.  So some improvement may be warranted but 180 may be unreasonable.  They offer an in depth Runner Analysis and I'd been considering asking for this service.  I'm going to talk to him and see what he thinks.  Will the analysis help me make the long term changes needed to help this heal and keep it at bay or will it just complicate healing?  It would be a supplement to my PT treatment...not a replacement.

Apparently tendon injuries are tough as the area does not get good blood flow.  He encouraged me to continue to roll daily and mentioned a couple things he may do at future appointments to help with the blood flow issue.  He briefly mentioned Platelet-rich plasma (PRP) treatment but indicated that he wanted to see how healing was progressing before talking more about that option.  It's not covered by insurance and is not a guarantee...mixed results.  He said if I'm not seeing progress in a couple months and get frustrated then we'll discuss it.

First impressions of Peter were positive.  He seemed thorough.  He seemed to take me seriously and indicated that he/we should be able to work toward a resolution that was sustainable.  He's a marathoner...off and on.  He was pleased I was in kind of a down cycle and not training for a marathon this spring/summer.  That will give us time to deal with this without the pressure to increase running to quickly.  As I mentioned we ran out of time to discuss some of the specifics and communicate a plan moving forward.  I didn't have any questions when I left but I have several now that I've had time to research and think about it.  I'll have a better understanding after my appointment on the 16th.

So...I'm ending my blog in recovery mode with a less than positive finish at my marathon.  But I do want to acknowledge that overall it's been a positive training cycle.  I developed a good relationship with Coach Melissa.  I learned a lot and do really feel like I accomplished my goal to build my base...and I gained some skills that will help me continue to maintain and build moving forward.  If I'm totally honest I have to admit that the original plan was to build and prepare for a goal marathon in 2022 or beyond...so I'm still on track.  And it was a good marathon when put in the proper perspective.

And...I'm starting a new blog in recovery mode.  The goal will be to deal with my long ignored hamstring/tendon/sitting issue.  I think that the plan will include an effort to address some long ignored running "problems".  I've dabbled with cadence and foot strike but I've never been willing to pause training long enough to make any significant changes/improvements.  The goal of this training cycle will be to take enough of a step back to deal with the tendinopathy...including cadence and foot strike...while maintaining my base so that I'm ready for a marathon training cycle later this year.

Ultreya...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

PHT, Cadence, Foot strike...recovery and rebuilding Empty Re: PHT, Cadence, Foot strike...recovery and rebuilding

Post  ounce Mon Feb 14, 2022 4:13 pm

Your enemy has been identified, tentatively.  There's a Facebook group for that.  It's a public group, too.

Since covid is a respiratory virus, it's a good thing that hasn't been as much a symptom as some of your other symptoms.

I won't begin to give you an idea on cadence while you're fighting covid and PHT. silent  So, I guess you're staying away from almost everybody and resting probably 70% of goal?

The rain you're getting today is due to arrive down here during the overnight hours of Wednesday night.

Rest.  Rest.  Rest.

Take two of these.... Money Money  and see me in the morning.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

PHT, Cadence, Foot strike...recovery and rebuilding Empty Re: PHT, Cadence, Foot strike...recovery and rebuilding

Post  nkrichards Mon Feb 21, 2022 8:50 pm

Just a quick update.  I'll try and provide more details tomorrow or the next day.  It's going to be 22 with 16 MPH winds and icy roads so I just may decide not to run...at least not outside.

Finally feel pretty much recovered from COVID.  Still a bit tired so I'm making a point to get lots of sleep.  I lost some weight...only 2-3 pounds...while I was sick.  Weight loss has stopped and I haven't gained it back yet even though I've been making sure I pile on the calories.  I actually would like to stay closer to this weight provided that I'm getting enough nutrition to fuel and recover well as I train.  There is a fine line.

I was feeling pretty good last week and got the okay from the PT to run a bit more with only limited restrictions.  We had a great talk about running form and cadence.  It was really helpful.  I'll share later.  He ran me through a few more tests and gave me more exercises to do.  He also explained what I could/should do and what I shouldn't do as I'm healing...and why.  Once again it was very helpful.  He worked on the scar tissue a bit and then turned me loose.  Next appointment isn't until Mar 9th.  He has a busy schedule!

I got in a total of 24.6 miles last week including a nice easy 8.25 miler and the hamstring didn't flair up.  I could feel it a bit but it wasn't any worse.  I had a short tempo on the schedule for tomorrow to see how it reacted to running at MP.  After looking at the weather forecast I decided to run it this morning.  It was only 4 miles with 2 @ MP so not to much strain on the hamstring.  It went really well and so far I haven't noticed any increased discomfort.

I do have fun news though.  I think I've mentioned that Mario Mendoza (elite trail runner) started working with the high school kids on Wednesday afternoons and invited us old folks to join in.  He let us know that his friend Jill Boaz was going to be there to talk to the kids.  I wasn't planning on attending as I wanted to rest the hamstring but decided to go warm up with the kids and listen to her motivational talk.  Boy was I glad I did.  She was super nice and gave a great talk.  I googled her name when I got home.  She has quite the resume!!!  Didn't start running till after college and then quit her job and moved across the country to train with FILA.  Marathon PR is 2:34.  She was the first US women to finish Boston in 2010.  She ran some pretty impressive races and traveled the world doing it.  Coach Melissa recognized the name and mentioned that Jill was running really well when she was transitioning from college to running with Hanson's group.  Mario is working on getting Billy Mills out to talk to the kids.  Based on the racial mix at Madras High School...essentially equal numbers of Native Americans, Hispanics, White...Billy would be a good role model for the kids.

Looks like our predicted snow has arrived and temperatures are dropping like a rock.  I'm going to put another log on the fire, finish my cup of tea and figure out something for dinner.

More details coming...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Feb 23, 2022 5:38 pm

Always good to get an elite 'been there, done that' person to give a talk about what can be.

So, how is it to run in a 1 degree wind chill?  Tickled that you're over covid.

How's your mom doing?
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed Feb 23, 2022 6:37 pm

So...here's the details that I promised.

Peter (the PT) said that I had a slight heal strike and should work on more of a mid-foot strike.  We didn't get the opportunity to talk details much at that first visit.  I came home determined to work on cadence in an effort to help make the transition to more of a mid-foot strike.  I also had a couple exercises to do and a couple things I shouldn't do...strides and deadlifts.

Background info.  The diagnosis is PHT...Proximal Hamstring Tendinopathy.  I've had trouble with sitting pain for 35 years...well before I became a runner.  It comes and goes and isn't always on the same side.  I've searched for answers several times...different diagnosis and no resolution.  It flared up during marathon training.  With rolling, I was able to control it enough to continue training.  It bothered me more when sitting than when running.  With the encouragement of my coach I decided to try and find a better PT and see if I could get some resolution.  I reached out to a couple elite runners and ended up with a name of a good PT in Bend...an hour drive one way.  My first appointment was Jan 31.

I've worked on cadence off and on over the years.  I usually get discouraged and give up going back to mindless running.  I've also made a bit of effort to do some lower HR work (Maffetone type stuff)  Equally frustrated.  Coach Melissa has a good portion of my runs at an easy pace and often reminds me to keep them easy.  I've mentioned HR and cadence a few times but she commented that everyone is different.  Her HR tends to be higher than most...it's an individual thing.  So we've pretty much concentrated on pace.  I won't say that I still don't pay attention to my HR.  It is higher than recommended for my age by "mainstream" running recommendations but it seems to work for me.  My cadence has traditionally been in the mid 150's range for easy runs and around 158 for races and faster stuff.  I was able to bring it up a bit when I worked on it a couple years ago.  I didn't make a huge change but it increased a bit.  I noticed after my marathon in December that I was starting to slip back into a slower cadence.  I was aware and made a bit of an effort to concentrate on bringing it back up a bit.  That's where I was at when I went to my first PT appointment.

So here we go.
  • Feb 1 - 3.1  @ 11:36 HR 131/145 Cad 160 Stride .86  Just concentrated on a mid-foot strike for this run.
  • COVID
  • Feb 5 - 2.0 @ 10:14 HR 141/161 Cad 166 Stride .94  Set the metronome at 170.  I couldn't keep up with the gnome.  I took a break at 1 mile and another break at 1.7.  As usual my pace was way to fast.  Finished really frustrated.
  • Feb 7 - 3.0 @ 10:47 HR 141/161 Cad 162 Stride .91  I left the gnome at home and just tried to use my breathing/counting to try and increase cadence.  I had some success but it was still to fast.
  • Feb 8 - 4.25 @ 12:16 HR 135/151 Cad 157 Stride .83  Ran with Janice.  Melissa encouraged me not to always concentrate on cadence as that would take the joy out of running.  I took her advice.  Considering the slower pace this was an above average cadence but nothing to crow about.
  • Feb 10 - 4.0 @ 11:07 HR 136/155 Cad 158 Stride .91  I was pretty happy with this run.  I didn't do anything specific but I was conscious of cadence and foot strike. More reasonable pace.  Nice HR. Decent cadence.  
  • Feb 11 - 6.0 @ 12:00 HR 131/145 Cad 154 Stride .87  I increased my mileage and just died during this run.  The last 3 miles felt like the end of a marathon!  I think my inadequate nutrition during my COVID recovery caught up with me.  
  • Feb 12 - 3.1 @ 11:29 HR 138/153 Cad 158 Stride .88  Not a bad run considering how poorly my run went the previous day.
  • At this point I was getting a bit discouraged.  I know my efforts were affected by my COVID recovery but I wanted to start ramping my miles back up a bit.  I was finding cadence very frustrating.
  • Feb 14 - 4.0 @ 11:05 HR 144/161 Cad 159 Stride .90 Decent run.
  • Feb 16  Second PT appointment

I went in for my second appointment armed with questions.  Peter took some time to go over my running form video from the first visit more in depth.  Other than the slight heel strike he didn't see any issues.  Hips stayed level.  Knees didn't fall inward.  Arm swing was good.  Minimal bouncing.  I expressed my frustration with efforts to increase my cadence.  He said he thought my expectations were unrealistic.  He said for my pace and natural running form he would be more than happy if a cadence of 160ish started to feel natural for easy effort runs (11:00-12:00+)...with a mid-foot strike.  He did want me to make sure that as I sped up I accomplished that by increasing cadence, NOT by increasing stride length and reverting back to a heel strike.  I explained my frustration with efforts to increase cadence.  His advice was (1) Practice on a treadmill where you set the pace and can't over stride or you run off the front of the TM (2) Work on cadence in short efforts.  Don't work on it the entire run.  Don't work on it every run.  He reiterated Coach Melissa's comment about taking all the fun out of running.  

We also talked a bit more about the strengthening exercises that I should and shouldn't do.  He explained that I needed to strengthen the hamstring without creating tension and compression.  Tension is created when the hamstring is engaged.  The compression is created when I'm bent over at the hip...not a good explanation...when the tension is created.  Think deadlift.  The problem is that as the tension increases the hamstring is also wrapped around the sit bone causing it to be compressed into the bone.  So I need to make sure my foot is under my body when it strikes the ground.  I'm doing modified deadlifts...bending my knees more than normal and widening my stance.  I'm doing squats but never going below 90 degrees.  I'm also doing Supine Hamstring Stretches, Bridge Walk Outs, and Lateral Single Leg Lunge Jumps.  The goal is to allow the injury to heal while strengthening the hamstring and continuing running...cautiously.  If we can get rid of the scar tissue and then react quickly if I reinjure it then we should be able to keep it at bay.  Rolling regularly.  Peter worked on the scar tissue a bit as well.

Back to running armed with more information and a bit more optimism.
  • Feb 16 - 3.25 @ 11:32 HR 144/158 Cad 156 Stride .90  2.4 mile easy run before joining the kids at Workout Wednesday.  I did the warm up with the kids and then listened to the motivational speaker and headed home so I wouldn't be tempted to misbehave.
  • Feb 17 - 8.25 @ 11:52 HR 143/159 Cad 159 Stride .84  Ran the middle 4 miles with Janice.  Pretty happy with the cadence for this pace!  Just tried to be aware of both cadence and foot strike.
  • Feb 19 - 3.1 @ 11:16 HR 144/169 Cad 160 Stride .88  HR a bit higher than I'd like but I'm pretty happy with the cadence for this pace!
  • Feb 21 - 4.0 w/2 @ MP.  MP portion stats - HR 150/163 Cad 164 Stride .95  Liking the cadence but my stride did lengthen out a bit more than I think it should.
  • Feb 22 - 4.0 @ 11:50 HR 146/159 Cad 159 Stride .85  Cadence pretty good.  HR a bit high.

I can't stress how much more optimistic I was after Peter had time to share more information at my second appointment.  He said not to expect my stats to be in the same range as younger/faster runners.  My Garmin is creating graphs that indicate my form is below average.  He said it's not...it's just not as fast as the elite runners they are basing the stats off of.  The goal is not to mess with my natural running form enough to create other issues/inefficiencies but to make a slight tweak to help keep the PHT from flaring back up.  The biggest problem is the long period of time that I ignored it, allowing the scar tissue to build up.  The goal is to make sure running continues to be fun!

Low of -1 this morning.  It's up to a balmy 21 (wind chill 15).  I'm heading up to Workout Wednesday but don't plan to stay for the faster stuff.  It's fun to connect with the kids.  I'll warm up with them and see what Mario has to say today.  Then I'll probably head home.

May get above freezing by tomorrow afternoon.   cheers
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:46 am

That took a while to type.  Thanks.

I wouldn't worry so much about 1 run having a longer stride.  You're a WIP, now.  It's a gradual thing.  Your legs will get used to the shorter stride over time, which will cascade into a shorter stride at MP.  Whatever it takes to mid-foot strike is the objective.  And a treadmill could help that objective.  It means not flexioning (if that's a word) to present your heel to the ground and in concert not extending your knee to 180 degrees.  You want the foot to leg angle to be closer to 90 degrees, than 45 degrees.  Sorry if you're way past this.  But it sounds like you're full of knowledge and just have to make it happen.

Your times may suffer a bit during your transition, which would be expected.  In fact, your times will suffer.  Guaranteed, until you get the hang of it.  It will be uncomfortable, like folding your arms in front of you, then reversing it.

If the love-hate relationship with your gnome still exists, like last year, I suggest that you reduce the chirp to 80 for one foot instead of the 160 spm equivalent for both feet.

Your explanation of tension vs compression was understandable.  Now, you just need to execute. affraid  Blame it on the weather.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed Mar 02, 2022 12:27 pm

ounce wrote:That took a while to type.  Thanks.

I wouldn't worry so much about 1 run having a longer stride.  You're a WIP, now.  It's a gradual thing.  Your legs will get used to the shorter stride over time, which will cascade into a shorter stride at MP.  Whatever it takes to mid-foot strike is the objective.  And a treadmill could help that objective.  It means not flexioning (if that's a word) to present your heel to the ground and in concert not extending your knee to 180 degrees.  You want the foot to leg angle to be closer to 90 degrees, than 45 degrees.  Sorry if you're way past this.  But it sounds like you're full of knowledge and just have to make it happen.

Your times may suffer a bit during your transition, which would be expected.  In fact, your times will suffer.  Guaranteed, until you get the hang of it.  It will be uncomfortable, like folding your arms in front of you, then reversing it.

If the love-hate relationship with your gnome still exists, like last year, I suggest that you reduce the chirp to 80 for one foot instead of the 160 spm equivalent for both feet.

Your explanation of tension vs compression was understandable.  Now, you just need to execute. affraid  Blame it on the weather.
Yeah...typing it was as much to remind me where I'm at and what my goals are than anything.  Thanks for taking the time to read it!!

I'm struggling to post on a regular basis.  Yesterday was tax day for farmers and it was very hectic.  An accountant prepares the LLC returns and then I prepare the personal returns.  K1s didn't arrive till Monday evening and then Turbo Tax had a few glitches.  Got both our return and Kevin's e-filed last night.  Now I have to transition to bill paying and end of month stuff...then a land use planning appeal.   affraid

Running is going pretty well.
  • 2/23 2.5 mi @ 11:32 HR 134/151 Cad 160 SL .86  Workout Wednesday warmup with the kids and easy running with Janice.
  • 2/24 6.0 mi @ 12:15 HR 139/152 Cad 157 SL .83  With Janice and Nailan
  • 2/25 8.0 mi @ 11:20 HR 148/164 Cad 159 SL .88  Solo effort.
  • 2/26 4.0 mi @ 11:20 HR 147/160 Cad 158 SL .89  WINDY
  • 2/28 4.0 mi @ 11:26 HR 145/159 Cad 158 SL .89
  • 3/1  5.5 mi w/3 mi progression HR 158/166 Cad 163 SL .97  (WU and CD not included in stats) Splits 10:15, 10:08, 9:52  

I've just been trying to be aware of my cadence and foot strike but haven't carried the gnome or anything.  It seems like I've made some progress and even when my mind wanders my cadence seems to be a bit higher than before this experiment started.  I tried to make sure that I didn't stride out during the faster progression run on Friday.  I did better than in the past but my SL was 1.0 for the last split.  HR has been a bit high...I'm going to blame it mostly on life stresses but will admit that I've lost a bit of fitness.

My daily PT regime takes 30 minutes so I haven't been doing any other strength work.  The hamstring is definitely still there.  PT exercises increased.  Running increased...as did pace for at least one run each week.  I wouldn't say the sitting discomfort is worse but it's not better...maybe slightly worse yesterday and today.  The left side is more noticeable but I can feel it on the right as well.  I would like to blame the sitting discomfort on the increased time in my office chair but the PT says the sitting discomfort is often the canary letting you know that something else is causing the issue.  My next appointment is the 9th.  I'm wondering if we're doing enough to actually heal the injury and break up the scar tissue.  It seems like we're just managing the injury...not healing it.  Maybe we need to be more aggressive...or maybe I just want to have the skills to manage it going forward.  It's been something that comes and goes and switches sides for so long that I'm not sure.... Question

No running today.  I do need to get in and do my PT.  It's going to be another busy day.

Ultreya...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Mar 03, 2022 11:45 pm

Regarding the healing, didn't you say the PT said this was something that has been percolating for some 25 years?  Scar tissue takes its own sweet time to heal.  A well placed thumb can only help a little, but cumulatively, it does more.  So, it's a long journey.  Baby steps are too long related to healing.

I guess your running plan is Melissa's?  Is this month's plan for CIM in December or some other goal?

Ease the frustration.  Don't even think about 'healing.'  Even when your sitting.  Don't do anything to aggravate it, though.  Enjoy the scenery.

Chill.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri Mar 04, 2022 12:55 pm

ounce wrote:Regarding the healing, didn't you say the PT said this was something that has been percolating for some 25 years?  Scar tissue takes its own sweet time to heal.  A well placed thumb can only help a little, but cumulatively, it does more.  So, it's a long journey.  Baby steps are too long related to healing.

I guess your running plan is Melissa's?  Is this month's plan for CIM in December or some other goal?

Ease the frustration.  Don't even think about 'healing.'  Even when your sitting.  Don't do anything to aggravate it, though.  Enjoy the scenery.

Chill.
Yes, this 'injury' has a long history and has had lots of time to build scar tissue.  Plus it's an area with poor blood flow.  I've been rolling daily and get deep in that area with the lacrosse ball.  I'm just wondering if I need to spend more time effort with the PT.  Appointments every 3 weeks just might not cut it.  I'm working on the running form tweaks and have been consistent about doing my PT exercises.  I'll talk to Peter next Wednesday.

I'm still using Melissa as my coach.   She adjusted my plan as requested by the PT.  CIM in December is still the mid-term goal.  I am signed up for both the Eugene Half on May 1st and the Newport Half on June 4th.  We'll re-evaluate May 1st as it gets closer.  June 4th is Emma's graduation and she's valedictorian so will be giving a speech.  If we're allowed to attend (limited tickets) I'll skip the half and attend graduation. 

I had  4 easy miles on the plan for yesterday.  I had to drop my car in town for a service so I just ran home.  That meant I had to tackle my nemesis, Oregon Beef hill.  It's not nearly as intimidating as it was a few years ago.  I was slightly underdressed and it started to drizzle so I unintentionally pushed the pace a bit.  I won't say I didn't think about cadence and foot strike at all but I tried not to obsess about it...running relaxed and natural.

5.0 @ 11:07 HR 146/158 Cad 159 SL .90

Busy day with 8 miles on the plan...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Mar 07, 2022 7:50 pm

Well look at that...

Friday had 8 easy/moderate miles with a negative split in the plan.  We're ramping up slowly.  
8 miles @ 10:53 HR 145/155 Cad 162 SL .91
  1. 11:05 Cad 162 SL .90
  2. 11:02 Cad 162 SL .90
  3. 11:16 Cad 161 SL .88
  4. 10:58 Cad 160 SL .92
  5. 10:54 Cad 160 SL .92
  6. 10:51 Cad 161 SL .91
  7. 10:40 Cad 162 SL .93
  8. 10:20 Cad 164 SL .95

I'll take those stats any day!!  I didn't set myself up very well for a negative split (this run was much to fast overall) but I did it.  And at a very good HR (for me).  Increased the pace with an increased cadence and not to much of an increase in SL.  I couldn't have been happier.  Even better news...we got up early on Saturday to drive over to take Mom breakfast for her birthday and the sitting discomfort was minimal.   cheers

And then Saturday afternoon...
4 miles @ 11:26 HR 138/154 Cad 160 SL .87
  1. 11:28 Cad 161 SL .88
  2. 11:30 Cad 161 SL .88
  3. 11:27 Cad 159 SL .94
  4. 11:27 Cad 160 SL .92

A cadence that high on an easy run is a big win for me.  And an average HR <140 is a rare occurrence since COVID.  I did slip a bit...both cadence and a corresponding increased SL especially in mile 3 but overall I can see definite improvement.  And it's starting to come more naturally.  I don't have to concentrate on every single step.

Today was a Monday on steroids and even though it was a gorgeous day and I tried to just enjoy the run I couldn't let life stress fall away.  Oh well...it makes Saturdays run all the more impressive. 
4 miles @ 11:36 HR 146/159 Cad 158 SL .87

Nice little 3x1 mile @ HMP pace planned for tomorrow and then my appointment with PT Peter on Wednesday.

Ultreya...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Mar 08, 2022 9:33 pm

Running Running Running cheers Money

I may be a bit excited.  Look at the stats from my 3x1 mile run today!!

WU 1.5 miles @ 11:47 HR 135/147 Cad 158 SL .86  But I did my mobility skips, high knees, and butt kicks during the last part.  Look at the stats for the first mile.
1 mi @ 11:34 Cad 162 SL .85

Main 3x1 (rest) section 3.75 mi @ 10:04 HR 146/154 Cad 165 SL .96
  1. @9:53 Cad 166 SL .97 (@11:23)
  2. @9:50 Cad 166 SL .98 (@10:47)
  3. @9:46 Cad 165 SL .99 (@10:55)

CD 1.0 @ 11:05 HR 138/143 Cad 162 SL .88

I didn't do anything to try to keep the cadence up other than be aware of it and also of my foot strike.  Aware but not to the point where that's all I concentrated on.  This is amazing.  I'm not saying that I've completely changed my form...yet...but it's definitely starting to feel a bit more natural.  And the fact that my easy effort warm up and cool down were both at 162 is definitely a bonus.  Who would have thunk it??

Headed to my PT appointment in the morning.  The hamstring is still there but not bad after my run today.  I'll update when I get home.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sun Mar 13, 2022 7:03 pm

Mentally exhausting week and it started to catch up with me.

Very good PT appointment on Wednesday.  I mentioned my frustration...that this issue has come and gone so many times in the past how do we know if it's healing or just a normal response to rest but will reappear as mileage increases.  I expressed my desire to be much more aggressive.  Peter suggested getting imaging done (ultrasound).  I'm waiting for insurance approval. Evil or Very Mad  And he was much more aggressive when he worked on it and then added some scraping to finish off.  

Thursday was just an easy 4 miles plus my 30 minutes of PT work.  The 4 miles was interesting.  Peter mentioned that the reason faster paces are harder on the hamstring is because you can't rely as much on just your forward lean to propel your forward...it just isn't enough.  As a result the increased pace requires your hamstring to work harder.  So I decided to play around a bit with my forward lean.  I've been aware and practiced it a bit in the past but was still surprised with this run.
4 miles @ 10:39 HR 148/157 Cad 161 SL .93  Not really an easy effort or pace but still a learning lesson.  2 mile cooldown walk with Janice and Nailan after.

Friday We made a last minute decision to get up early and head to Eugene for irrigation parts.  8 hours later we were back home.  I was exhausted and my hamstring was not overly pleased with the sitting time.  But it was a nice day and a storm was predicted for Saturday so I lace up my shoes and headed out.  I chose a challenging route with several short but steep rollers and didn't worry much about pace or cadence.  It took a couple miles to warm up and miles 6 and 7 had most of the hills.  Once I got through them and hit the homestretch I pushed the pace a bit and finished well.  Didn't have time for PT as we had to head in to watch Owen's 4th grade basketball team play in the state championships.  They were soundly beaten.

9.25 @ 11:28 HR 150/165 Cad 158 SL .88

Saturday Started the day in the gym watching Owen's second game and then got in an easy 4 miles in the wind...but it was still dry.  The game was much closer but they lost again.  Sad

Sunday We headed in to watch another basketball game and learned that the two teams they lost to were in the finals.  They just got a poor draw in the tournament.  That helped energize everyone.  They won their early morning game very convincingly and went on to place 3rd with another convincing win.  Not bad for the poor kids from one of the most unhealthy counties in Oregon.   Basketball cheers  Our uniforms may not be as flashy as the teams from Portland but we've got heart!!

I should do my PT today but I'm going to rest instead.  I handled the running well this week but I'm mentally exhausted.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:24 pm

nkrichards wrote:Running Running Running cheers Money

WU 1.5 miles @ 11:47 HR 135/147 Cad 158 SL .86  But I did my mobility skips, high knees, and butt kicks during the last part.  Look at the stats for the first mile.

I didn't do anything to try to keep the cadence up other than be aware of it and also of my foot strike.  Aware but not to the point where that's all I concentrated on.  This is amazing.  I'm not saying that I've completely changed my form...yet...but it's definitely starting to feel a bit more natural.  And the fact that my easy effort warm up and cool down were both at 162 is definitely a bonus.  Who would have thunk it??

Headed to my PT appointment in the morning.  The hamstring is still there but not bad after my run today.  I'll update when I get home.
Yes, it would appear your mid-footing stride change is taking hold.  You'll still have some crawfishing on the change, but I'll agree that you're morphing your stride.  Now, if you can do the 166 with a 10:30 pace, then you'd really be on to something.

I can't remember if you had Covid or not, but if you did, you're really doing well.  Let me see what else you have done since this one.  Great job.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu Mar 17, 2022 2:18 pm

ounce wrote:
nkrichards wrote:Running Running Running cheers Money

Yes, it would appear your mid-footing stride change is taking hold.  You'll still have some crawfishing on the change, but I'll agree that you're morphing your stride.  Now, if you can do the 166 with a 10:30 pace, then you'd really be on to something.

I can't remember if you had Covid or not, but if you did, you're really doing well.  Let me see what else you have done since this one.  Great job.
I'll be happy...and so will the PT...if I can consistently keep my cadence >=160 at my easy pace and low 160's at MP.  166 would be nice but let's not get greedy.  I'm just pleased to see some progress.

Yes, Doug, I did have COVID mid-late January.  I felt better within 36 hours but then it came back a few days later and I struggled for several days.  We dropped my mileage and intensity back and I'm still ramping back up.

Speaking of progress...after some frustration I was able to get authorization from the insurance to see the Orthopedist for an ultra-sound of the hamstring.  My appointment is Wed Mar 23rd.  I'm looking forward to figuring out what is actually going on.  It will give us a lot more information to make plans moving forward.

And speaking of moving forward...a friend invited me to join a ladies group bike ride on the 26th...25 miles.  I haven't been on my bike since June...of 2020! affraid  Peter (PT) said he thought biking would be fine as it uses the quads more than the hamstring.   Melissa said she thought it would be good cross training during my base building period.  They both said that if it caused increased discomfort I would need to reconsider.  So...off I went yesterday.  I was a bit rusty but it was a good 8 mile ride.  I may be a bit sore this morning.  Shocked  But the hamstring held up well.  I'll try to get another ride in on Saturday or Sunday.

Back to training details.  

I had a good run on Monday.  I got in 5.5 miles with 3 @ MP(10:18).

Warm up 1.5 @ 11:42 including mobility.  1st mile @ 11:36 HR 145/164 Cad 159 SL .86
3 miles @ 10:09 HR 153/160 Cad 162 SL .97
  1. 10:17 Cad 162 SL 1.0
  2. 10:13 Cad 161 SL .97
  3.  9:59 Cad 161 SL 1.01

Cool Down 1.0 @ 10:57 Cad 161 SL .90

So the cadence wasn't quite as impressive as my run last week but it was within the cadence goal that Peter is looking for.  Very Happy

Tuesday was an easy 5.3 miles with Janice.
5.3 @ 11:56 HR 143/163 Cad 159 SL .84

Wednesday was my rest day.  I rode my bike.

I'm still doing PT exercises 6 days a week.  Peter increased the difficulty but cut down the reps.  I added in some upper body stuff so I'm getting in 30 minutes each day, including a short rolling session at the end.

Life is busy.  Life is...mostly...good.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri Mar 18, 2022 4:32 pm

Hmm...  I woke up Thursday and was sore all over.  Well except for my hamstrings.  They survived the bike ride intact but my neck, shoulders, back etc were all sore.  Shocked

I got in an easy 4.25 @ 11:06 with a cadence of 160.  Nothing to cheer about but perfectly acceptable.

Friday  I had an 8 mile negative split run on the schedule.  I picked a relatively challenging route and first half was net downhill with most of the elevation gain in miles 4.5-6.5.  It was a tough route for a negative split.  I eked it out...barely...by running the last couple miles pretty hard.  Not my most impressive run but I got it done.

8.5 miles @ 11:19 Cadence 158

Busy weekend but I'll squeeze in my easy run tomorrow and a bike ride sometime.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:51 am

I would think the same (+/- 2 spm) cadence at all paces would mean you have your transition accomplished.  When you're running for time, expect your cadence to be higher.

I wasn't surprised that you were generally sore after your 8 mile bike ride.  I can only imagine how sore I would be after a bike ride.  Seems like a short period of time to get up to a 25 mile run, but I wouldn't know.

I'm glad your doctor (and staff) was experienced enough to get the insurance company's blessing on the ultrasound.  Good luck on Wednesday, but in reality, the luck is arriving on time, not the procedure.

So do you feel like you have any residual effects, now, of Covid?

Oh!  One question on the bike riding.  Has your heart been in the hammock, while you're riding?

Continued success, ma'am.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Mar 21, 2022 7:58 pm

ounce wrote:I would think the same (+/- 2 spm) cadence at all paces would mean you have your transition accomplished.  When you're running for time, expect your cadence to be higher.

I wasn't surprised that you were generally sore after your 8 mile bike ride.  I can only imagine how sore I would be after a bike ride.  Seems like a short period of time to get up to a 25 mile run, but I wouldn't know.

I'm glad your doctor (and staff) was experienced enough to get the insurance company's blessing on the ultrasound.  Good luck on Wednesday, but in reality, the luck is arriving on time, not the procedure.

So do you feel like you have any residual effects, now, of Covid?

Oh!  One question on the bike riding.  Has your heart been in the hammock, while you're riding?

Continued success, ma'am.
Yes, the cadence is starting to feel a bit more natural.  I do have to pay attention still but not as much.  And I'm usually able to sustain it for the entire run.  I'll keep working on it but I am pleased with the progress I made.

I also was not surprised I was sore after my bike ride.  I rode again on Saturday...12 miles...and felt much better afterwards.  I'm adapting pretty quickly.  I am ramping up to 25 miles relatively quickly but it's not a race.  We plan to make it an easy effort and take an extended break close to the half way point.

Not worried about the ultrasound at all but very curious to know what's going on after all these years.  It's feeling pretty good right now but it comes and goes on a very regular basis so who knows.  Hopefully I will after the ultrasound.

I don't notice any residual effects from COVID now.  The initial symptoms were short lived...only 36 hours or so.  But a couple days later the fever and fatigue returned with a vengeance.  I was exhausted for several days and did not feel like eating at all.  I realized I wasn't fueling and was losing weight.  I had to make an effort to get food down.  That lasted for at least a week or 10 days and then I slowly regained my strength.  I've been ramping the running back up pretty slowly and I'm still not at full mileage.  But to be honest that's partially because of the hamstring issue.

My heart in a hammock?  Never!  My HR is definitely lower when I bike but not hammock low.  127 for my 8 miler on Wednesday.  I added some hills in the 12 miler on Saturday and it hummed along at 140.  I mentioned my higher than desired HR to Melissa.  She said not to worry as everyone has a different baseline.  Her HR also tends to run higher than others.  At her suggestion, I looked back at my running log and she's right...my body just has a different definition of low HR.  What's normal/low for me is different but the trend is there and that is what she's looking for.

Busy weekend and a nice easy 4 miles in a light rain this afternoon.  4 miles @ 11:22 HR 140/153 Cadence 159 SL .88

Spring Break...grandkids everywhere.   Shots
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:20 pm

Soooo, Maffetone will never work for you, as he has it defined, because your heart is higher revving, like a Honda engine.

It's also nifty that your acclimating to your backup road activity.  You have a frisky system.

I would be curious, regarding the ultrasound, to know if the scar tissue or nodules grow in size or if there are many of the same size spread around.

Spring Break was last week, down here.

Keep at it, youngster!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sat Apr 02, 2022 4:08 pm

ounce wrote:Soooo, Maffetone will never work for you, as he has it defined, because your heart is higher revving, like a Honda engine.

It's also nifty that your acclimating to your backup road activity.  You have a frisky system.

I would be curious, regarding the ultrasound, to know if the scar tissue or nodules grow in size or if there are many of the same size spread around.

Spring Break was last week, down here.

Keep at it, youngster!
Boy am I past due for an update here!  Sorry I've been spending my time running and doing my PT exercises...and squeezing in a couple bike rides.

I guess that Maffetone, as he has it defined, is definitely not a very good option for me.  But...if I am allowed to determine what is actually an easy effort HR for me then I can do what he's suggesting.  Interesting that this morning I ran a social run with Janice and Nailon.  They were both needing to go slow so we ended up doing 4 miles @ 12:12.  My HR was relaxed average of 131 with a max of 145.  Definitely an easy effort for me but not within the Maffetone guidelines of 180-63=117.

I think you mentioned in your post on your blog a maximum HR higher than expected during your stress test.  In my opinion that is a GOOD thing.  It shows we're more fit and capable of doing more than the average person of our age.  We've got a wider range between our resting HR and our maximum HR giving us a much wider range to work with.  All good as far as I understand!!

The group bike ride was awesome.  Slowest ride I've ever done but fun none the less.  A couple of the gals had maintenance issues and we had to repair one flat tire.  The other 3 riders were my kids age...and I had to wait for them.   bom

So here's the long overdue results of my ultrasound.  Dr. Goodman confirmed the diagnosis of PHT (proximal hamstring tendinopathy).  It's on both sides but the left is the worst and that's the side I'm having the most symptoms with now.  The medical description is "bilateral strain of muscle, fascia, and tendon of the posterior muscle group at thigh level, left greater than right"  He showed me the screen as he was doing the ultrasound.  I couldn't see the scar tissue as described by Peter (he said it should look like a nice neat pile of straws as opposed to a tangled mess of straws).  But Dr. Goodman pointed out dark areas that he called abnormal tissue.  He found it in the tendon and the bone.  He also mentioned a slight tear...muscle I think.  He suggested I have Peter confirm my shoe choice was correct but other than that said we were already doing everything he would recommend.  If it doesn't get better we'll talk about other options.  It will not happen quickly.

I had my appointment with Peter the next week.  He confirmed what I already knew...it was time for new shoes...but said my shoe choice was good.  He indicated Brooks is his most highly recommended shoe due to their record of consistency.  I'm loyal to Brooks so that was good news.  He showed me more things to look for that indicate a shoe needs to be replace...in addition to my normal heel wear.  Hoping that the heel wear lessens with the cadence/foot strike changes I'm trying to make.  So we're going to just continue with the strengthening exercises and running...making sure I concentrate on not overstriding.  I'm going to run...but not race...the half in Eugene on May 1st.  I have an appointment to see him the next day.  He wants to see how it holds up to the run and the drive to/from Eugene.

Nothing overly exciting on the running to report.  I did run 6x800 on Tuesday.  The plan was to try 10K pace (9:19-9:27).  We've been keeping things at HMP or slower.  It went pretty well but the hamstring was tight so I was pretty conservative with the paces averaging 9:26.  On Wednesday Peter explained that tightness was okay.  It was sharp pain he wanted to avoid.  In fact he said I needed to strain it a bit to encourage it to repair and heal.  Oh, cadence for the run was 163 with the faster stuff @165.

I had an 8 mile negative split long run on the schedule for Friday.  I went out a bit fast and was a bit worried about my negative split.  It was just a beautiful morning and I did pull it off nicely.  First half was @ 10:51.  Second half 10:30.  More importantly my HR average was only 147 and cadence overall cadence was 160.

I haven't made a huge jump in cadence as compared to a year or two ago but I have made a slight improvement and it's beginning to feel a bit more natural.  Peter indicated that anything near 160 at a 10:00 pace was quite good.  He said it's unusual for a slower runner to successfully increase the cadence much higher.  It's foot strike...overstriding...that he's most concerned about.

And life goes on...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Apr 15, 2022 10:45 am

I'll jump in here, since I just can't resist weighing in whenever the name "Maffetone" pops up! Laughing

His 180-age formula probably works on the large scale, but it never quite fit me, either. That's why I borrowed from the Hadd approach, which was based off your measured maxHR.

Sorry you had COVID. It's a challenge. That's one thing both Alita and I will need to address, since we're now 99.999999999% sure she had it back in 2020 and 99% sure I picked up a less serious case of it, too.

Good job on the cadence work!

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:30 pm

Mark B wrote:I'll jump in here, since I just can't resist weighing in whenever the name "Maffetone" pops up! Laughing

His 180-age formula probably works on the large scale, but it never quite fit me, either. That's why I borrowed from the Hadd approach, which was based off your measured maxHR.

Sorry you had COVID. It's a challenge. That's one thing both Alita and I will need to address, since we're now 99.999999999% sure she had it back in 2020 and 99% sure I picked up a less serious case of it, too.

It's nice to have you back.  Thanks for taking the time to stop in.

Coach Melissa bases my runs on pace rather than HR.  When I mentioned my concern with that she said that she had a faster HR than the average runner so HR training didn't work very well for her.  I'll admit that I still keep an eye on my HR and while it's often higher than I'd like I've learned to understand when it's high because I just plain put in more effort than I should have on an easy run day and when it's high because of life stresses.  Even though Melissa doesn't use HR as an indicator of effort that doesn't mean she doesn't assign a lot of easy effort runs.  I'm doing way more easy miles than I was when I was self coached.

My COVID was pretty mild but it still took me some time to recover and get back to feeling good.  I was sick in January and it's only been the last couple weeks that I really felt like myself.  Nothing serious...just not feeling very energetic.  Hope you and Alita are both recovered and not struggling with any long term affects.

The cadence work was tough at first...and still is...but the PT helped me realize that I couldn't change overnight and that in his opinion you had to take pace into consideration when setting cadence goals.  My improvement hasn't been huge but it's noticeable.  His main concern is that I don't heel strike so I try to concentrate on a mid-foot strike.  I was getting pretty frustrated and Melissa reminded me that it while it was important to work on the underlying issues it was also important to enjoy running.  

I haven't done a very good job of keeping this blog updated with individual run data.  I'll try and hit the highlights.

Still doing my PT exercises 6 days a week.  The difficulty is slightly higher and the reps slower so it doesn't take a full 30 minutes.  I add enough upper body or core or something to get a full 30 minutes and then roll well.

My weekly mileage has been building slowly with over 30 miles the last two weeks.  It's been really fun to add back in a bit of speedwork.  I'm still pretty cautious but the hamstring has been holding up well.  I can still feel it but wouldn't describe it as pain...discomfort might be a better word.  It's more like tightness than pain.  Occasionally it still bothers me when I sit to long especially on a hard surface.  It's getting better but after 40+ years of ignoring it I can't expect it to disappear overnight.

My Tuesday SOS (Something of Substance) run this week was 3 x (600-400-200) with a 200 rest in between intervals but a slightly longer 400 rest between sets.  Goal pace was 10K for the 600 dropping to 5K and then 3K.  It went well.  Average paces were 9:11, 8:46, 8:24.  I was quite pleased for my first real speed work in a long time.  More importantly by cadence was 166-169 for the faster portions and stayed in the low 160s for the warm up and the rest portions.  

Friday was a 10 mile negative split long run.  I kept the pace around 11:15 for the first half and then turned the last 5 into a progression run.  Finished with an 11:03 overall pace and a final mile @10:28.  And it felt good!!  Cadence 161 and I held on to it well right to the end.  

Very busy with farm and family right now so it's been a struggle to fit running into my life but I'm really starting to enjoy it again.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Apr 19, 2022 10:23 am

nkrichards wrote:
Mark B wrote:I'll jump in here, since I just can't resist weighing in whenever the name "Maffetone" pops up! Laughing

It's nice to have you back.  Thanks for taking the time to stop in.

Coach Melissa bases my runs on pace rather than HR.  When I mentioned my concern with that she said that she had a faster HR than the average runner so HR training didn't work very well for her.  I'll admit that I still keep an eye on my HR and while it's often higher than I'd like I've learned to understand when it's high because I just plain put in more effort than I should have on an easy run day and when it's high because of life stresses.  Even though Melissa doesn't use HR as an indicator of effort that doesn't mean she doesn't assign a lot of easy effort runs.  I'm doing way more easy miles than I was when I was self coached.

My COVID was pretty mild but it still took me some time to recover and get back to feeling good.  I was sick in January and it's only been the last couple weeks that I really felt like myself.  Nothing serious...just not feeling very energetic.  Hope you and Alita are both recovered and not struggling with any long term affects.

The cadence work was tough at first...and still is...but the PT helped me realize that I couldn't change overnight and that in his opinion you had to take pace into consideration when setting cadence goals.  My improvement hasn't been huge but it's noticeable.  His main concern is that I don't heel strike so I try to concentrate on a mid-foot strike.  I was getting pretty frustrated and Melissa reminded me that it while it was important to work on the underlying issues it was also important to enjoy running.  

I haven't done a very good job of keeping this blog updated with individual run data.  I'll try and hit the highlights.

Still doing my PT exercises 6 days a week.  The difficulty is slightly higher and the reps slower so it doesn't take a full 30 minutes.  I add enough upper body or core or something to get a full 30 minutes and then roll well.

My weekly mileage has been building slowly with over 30 miles the last two weeks.  It's been really fun to add back in a bit of speedwork.  I'm still pretty cautious but the hamstring has been holding up well.  I can still feel it but wouldn't describe it as pain...discomfort might be a better word.  It's more like tightness than pain.  Occasionally it still bothers me when I sit to long especially on a hard surface.  It's getting better but after 40+ years of ignoring it I can't expect it to disappear overnight.

My Tuesday SOS (Something of Substance) run this week was 3 x (600-400-200) with a 200 rest in between intervals but a slightly longer 400 rest between sets.  Goal pace was 10K for the 600 dropping to 5K and then 3K.  It went well.  Average paces were 9:11, 8:46, 8:24.  I was quite pleased for my first real speed work in a long time.  More importantly by cadence was 166-169 for the faster portions and stayed in the low 160s for the warm up and the rest portions.  

Friday was a 10 mile negative split long run.  I kept the pace around 11:15 for the first half and then turned the last 5 into a progression run.  Finished with an 11:03 overall pace and a final mile @10:28.  And it felt good!!  Cadence 161 and I held on to it well right to the end.  

Very busy with farm and family right now so it's been a struggle to fit running into my life but I'm really starting to enjoy it again.

Melissa sounds like a very good coach. HR training isn't the only way to achieve your goals, though it's not a bad thing to keep an eye on it to keep Fast Freddy from spoiling your easy effort runs. He's sneaky that way.

I'd be loathe to not mention that the best way I found to work on cadence and more of a midfoot strike is to run barefoot. There's nothing like having sole-to-ground contact to teach you how to pitter-pat your way along with minimal impact! Even a very short distance maybe once a week can help get those neurons firing as you start to concentrate less on landing and more on how fast you can lift your feet. I used to think of it as a form drill.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

nkrichards likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:36 am

Mark B wrote:

Melissa sounds like a very good coach. HR training isn't the only way to achieve your goals, though it's not a bad thing to keep an eye on it to keep Fast Freddy from spoiling your easy effort runs. He's sneaky that way.

I'd be loathe to not mention that the best way I found to work on cadence and more of a midfoot strike is to run barefoot. There's nothing like having sole-to-ground contact to teach you how to pitter-pat your way along with minimal impact! Even a very short distance maybe once a week can help get those neurons firing as you start to concentrate less on landing and more on how fast you can lift your feet. I used to think of it as a form drill.

Barefoot!  Boy you are asking a lot of me!  But I can't disagree.  Maybe as the weather gets better.  

One problem that I have when I work on a higher cadence in an effort to attain that mid-foot strike is that my pace speeds up and my runs are no longer at an easy pace/effort.  The PT said the best way to alleviate that problem is to do my cadence work on the treadmill.  You can't run faster than the speed it's set at and if you do maintain the goal cadence you have no choice but to shorten your stride.  He also suggested raising the elevation a bit as it makes it easier to meet the treadmill without over striding.  He said cadence work on a hill outside is also effective as the ground rises up to meet you.

Barefoot runs?  Dreadmill runs?  I like Melissa's philosophy...work on form but don't forget to keep running fun.  geek

Nice run yesterday.  Training schedule called for 6 miles with middle 4 @ HMP (9:44-9:53)
Warmup 1.5 miles
4 miles @ 9:46 HR 148/166 Cadence 164 SL .99
  1. 9:56 Cad 163 SL .98
  2. 9:50 Cad 164 SL 1.00
  3. 9:53 Cad 163 SL .99
  4. 9:26 Cad 164 SL 1.01

Cooldown 1.25 miles

I hit the goal pace nicely and finished well.  More importantly the cadence and SL were in the range the PT has suggested for me.  Not perfect yet but starting to feel more natural.  I still have to think about it but I'm able to let my mind wander a bit without losing form.

Fun group run planned for this morning.  It's a short challenging course up and over the M hill and back again....part of the MADras Runners Challenge.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:39 pm

I've been having a lot of fun but I'm also VERY discouraged.

First the fun.  We just completed week 4 of the MADras Runners Challenge.  They post a route and you run or walk it any time during the week, report that you completed it, and your name goes in a hat for a gift card at a local business.  It started during COVID and is very popular.  We expanded our small group this year and I really enjoyed meeting some new folks even if I did have to run a bit slower and walk a bit.

Now the discouraging part.  My hamstring discomfort increased after Easter weekend when we made two trips to the valley.  4 hours in the car on Saturday and 6 on Sunday were not helpful I guess.  Peter (PT) said that sitting pain is normally the canary indicating that you did something to aggravate it rather than the actual cause.  I'm baffled.  I've been religious about doing my PT work 6 days a week.  I've made significant progress on cadence and foot strike.  I kept my mileage moderate and cut out speed work until Peter gave me the go ahead to add it back in cautiously.  I'm not sure what more I can do.  It's been over a week and it still hasn't settled back down.  I feel like I'm back at square one.

The frustrating part is that I can run and run well even when the hamstring is unhappy.  Maybe I just need to ignore it and enjoy running.  It's been a problem for 45 years...well before I became a runner.  I'm not going to be able to run marathons for to many more years.  Maybe expecting it to heal after ignoring it for 45 years is unreasonable.  Maybe I should just manage it and have fun running.  Ugggg...  

So...I'm signed up to run the half in Eugene on Sunday.  It finishes in the new stadium.  I'm a Beaver...definitely not a Duck but still.  I already planned to just run it as a long run and not race.  That's still the plan.  Melissa said to have fun and to be careful not to push to hard.  I have an appointment with Peter on Monday.  On Tuesday we head to a cabin on the Metolius River for a couple days.  

I'll let you know how the half goes...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:46 pm

nkrichards wrote:I've been having a lot of fun but I'm also VERY discouraged.

First the fun.  We just completed week 4 of the MADras Runners Challenge.  They post a route and you run or walk it any time during the week, report that you completed it, and your name goes in a hat for a gift card at a local business.  It started during COVID and is very popular.  We expanded our small group this year and I really enjoyed meeting some new folks even if I did have to run a bit slower and walk a bit.

Now the discouraging part.  My hamstring discomfort increased after Easter weekend when we made two trips to the valley.  4 hours in the car on Saturday and 6 on Sunday were not helpful I guess.  Peter (PT) said that sitting pain is normally the canary indicating that you did something to aggravate it rather than the actual cause.  I'm baffled.  I've been religious about doing my PT work 6 days a week.  I've made significant progress on cadence and foot strike.  I kept my mileage moderate and cut out speed work until Peter gave me the go ahead to add it back in cautiously.  I'm not sure what more I can do.  It's been over a week and it still hasn't settled back down.  I feel like I'm back at square one.

The frustrating part is that I can run and run well even when the hamstring is unhappy.  Maybe I just need to ignore it and enjoy running.  It's been a problem for 45 years...well before I became a runner.  I'm not going to be able to run marathons for to many more years.  Maybe expecting it to heal after ignoring it for 45 years is unreasonable.  Maybe I should just manage it and have fun running.  Ugggg...  

So...I'm signed up to run the half in Eugene on Sunday.  It finishes in the new stadium.  I'm a Beaver...definitely not a Duck but still.  I already planned to just run it as a long run and not race.  That's still the plan.  Melissa said to have fun and to be careful not to push to hard.  I have an appointment with Peter on Monday.  On Tuesday we head to a cabin on the Metolius River for a couple days.  

I'll let you know how the half goes...
I can say that raising the elevation on a treadmill does help on stride.  And it most definitely helps when you have an upcoming stress test.

Now the discouraging part.  Yes, managing your hamstring is the best way to go.  You may never live to see your hamstring happy.  But if I come to your funeral, I'll get up and say, "her hamstring is happy."  Sorta like that George Jones classic, "He Stopped Loving Her Today."  What if you carried an ice pack with you on a drive?  One of those frozen gel things.

You can't legitimately complain too much with a cadence of 164 and a stride length of 1.  Enjoy the half at the Duck blind.  Bring your duck call and see what happens.

Nice to see you're not fretting about HR.  No pain, no worries.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next