365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bridge of the Gods Half

2 posters

Go down

Bridge of the Gods Half Empty Bridge of the Gods Half

Post  nkrichards Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:21 pm

Finally getting around to posting my race report.  Sorry for the delay.

2:19:15 Official pace 10:37.  Garmin pace 10:29 (13.29 miles) Grade Adjusted Pace 10:06
199/551 Overall
98/368 Female
4/36 Age Group

This was a course I signed up to run when it was scheduled to take place in October 2021 (Covid delayed date).  When it was cancelled it reverted back to the normal August date.  I knew it might be warm but it wasn't a goal race.  It wasn't warm...it was hot and humid.  Coach Melissa and I adjusted my goal pace from 9:53 to 10:00 based on the predicted heat and humidity.  I had been training in the heat and it had been more humid in Central Oregon than normal but I was not at all prepared for the humidity on race day.  AND I really underestimated the course.  In addition to hills it was narrow, paved but rough, crowded, and...wait for it...there were stairs.  Lots of stairs!!

So...enough whining...

I headed out for the 2 1/2 hour drive to the race site on Saturday after lunch.  I had rented a cabin a half mile from the shuttle and the finish to share with Janice and Chuck.  My daughter Katie also joined us.  She ran/walked the 5K.  Chuck ran the 10K.  Janice had signed up for the Half but dropped to the 5K due to foot pain.  Janice is my friend who is legally blind.  I had planned to help her get across the bridge and then run my own race.  When she dropped to the half our start times were different.  Katie helped her cross the bridge.  We all walked down to get our race packets on arrival at the cabin.  It was hot and in hindsight I probably spent to much time on my feet as we checked out the finish area.

I brought spaghetti and a treat for Janice's birthday and Janice brought homemade bread.  We shared a meal in the cabin.  Hydrated throughout the evening and went to bed early.  I slept well but was up early and I was anxious to get on the early shuttle to the start.  I had my normal small race breakfast and prepared a couple bottles of Infinit and headed for the shuttle.  

On arrival at the race start I did my warm up and continued to sip on my bottle as I waited for the others.  We chatted and I sipped and eventually downed about 16 oz before I discarded my bottle at the start.  I felt full.  The plan was to carry the second bottle to make sure I hydrated well during the first few miles and then switch to the race provided fuel/hydration.

Race plan was to take it easy the first 2-3 miles...especially on the bridge.  Settle into race pace until mile 10 and then see what I had left for the finish.

I was off.  The bridge felt odd and it was crowded and people stopped for photos.  The trail wasn't much better.  It was narrow and crowded and people walked 3 abreast.  Frustrating to say the least.

• Mile 1 @10:35
  • Mile 2 @10:27
  • Mile 3 @ 9:38

As you can see I let frustration get the better of me during mile 3.  And I also realized that I hadn't utilized my bottle of Infinit yet...Ooops!

• Mile 4 @10:29  Those damn stairs...3 abreast walkers!
  • Mile 5 @10:00
  • Mile 6 @9:54
  • Mile 7 @10:05

Settling into race pace pretty well especially considering the course.  Still a bit crowded but better.

• Mile 8 @10:12 

I hit the turn around at 10:11 pace.  I was feeling the humidity but feeling pretty good.  I knew the course was going to be tough on the return but thought I could maintain that pace and maybe knock off a couple seconds in the last couple miles.  Then I started to get chills...and I was in the hot, sunny, exposed portion of the course.  I was concerned...slowed slightly and concentrated on hydrating.  Didn't get any worse and then entered the shaded portion of the course.

• Mile 9 @10:31
  • Mile 10 @ 11:20

I was back to the stairs...close to the bottom I felt my hamstring start to cramp.  What?  I've never cramped during a race.  Maybe the humidity?  Maybe the change of stride as I navigated the stairs?  Gave it a quick rub...panicked a bit...and really slowed.  It never fully cramped.  It took me some time to get back in the race.

• Mile 11 @11:42

I finally got my head back in the game and picked out a lady that seemed to be about the same age as me.  My goal was to stick with her.  

• Mile 12 @10:50 
  • Mile 13 @10:29
  • Finish @10:24

I stuck with my rabbit but wasn't able to gain on or pass her.  My legs just weren't responding at that point.  The finish was up a small bridge and across some rough grass...not a good spot for a sprint to the finish.  My rabbit placed 3rd in my AG. 

So...I was disappointed with my results.  After a bit of thought I realized that considering the course and conditions it wasn't as bad as it looked.  But I realized that I did make some mistakes...hopefully I can learn from them.  I was able to adjust to the chills and cramping and eventually get my head back in the race.  It just took longer than it should have.  

I did have a really fun time with Janice, Chuck, and Katie.  And if I learned from my mistakes it was more than worth it.  I headed off for a few days of fun with my granddaughter after the race.

I snuck in a couple unscheduled runs while traveling...sunset beach run in Crescent City CA and a sunrise run at Crater Lake rim.  Easing back into training this week.  Feeling good and looking forward to my marathon training segment.

Running
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Bridge of the Gods Half Empty Re: Bridge of the Gods Half

Post  KBFitz Sun Aug 29, 2021 10:39 am

Stairs? ... Oh My! Nicely done dealing with emerging cramping & chills in hot & humid conditions. Your veteran runner stripes are showing. Well done!
KBFitz
KBFitz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

nkrichards likes this post

Back to top Go down