365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Building A Better Bumblebee

+11
Michele "1L" Keane
Julie
Dave P
mul21
nkrichards
Mike MacLellan
T Miller
Nick Morris
Tim C
Tom H
mountandog
15 posters

Page 18 of 40 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 29 ... 40  Next

Go down

Building A Better Bumblebee - Page 18 Empty Re: Building A Better Bumblebee

Post  Mark B Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:56 pm

Here's my one and only Garmin-documented workout from my vacation.

Trails: 3 miles at altitude (6,000+ feet)

Weather: Sunny and warming rapidly. Gear: Lunas, shorts, T. Fuel: Just coffee before.

On vacation in Colorado, we asked our host about an off-road place to run. He suggested a trail with "rolling hills" in a park nearby. Turns out it was more a true hill (it's actually named "Green Mountain," which ought to suggest something) with trails that were just steep enough to be unrunnable for sea-level folk -- and rocky enough to make sandals challenging.

Building A Better Bumblebee - Page 18 11802810

We ran a little but quickly got winded thanks to the elevation, then hiked. We got to the top of the hill and one of our group decided to take an alternate way down rather than simply do an out-and-back, and found a trail that ended up being far more tricky than the climb. Oops!

I wished I had packed my trail shoes with me, but I was able to manage with the sandals. I also wished I had the red blood cells to make this route work. If I lived in Lakewood, this would be a great plate to run, despite the absence of shade. The views were fantastic.

Building A Better Bumblebee - Page 18 11794310

Splits were slow, obviously, but the heart rate was up there.

Average HR: 122. Max HR: 164 (!)

(Elevation change per RunningAHEAD was about 1,000 feet. Strava says about 600, which sounds about right.)

One last photo:

Building A Better Bumblebee - Page 18 11754810

Quite a change from running on the beach the Monday before, but totally worth it.

---

Now that my long-planned interruption is behind me, it'll be time for me to get back into the swing of things so I can be ready for the 50K in October. I'll have to ease into it (I opted not to run today since I was pretty low on sleep this past week), and I am actively considering reintroducing road shoes so I can do some of my runs on rolling hills. The last time I tried that in sandals, I split open a heel callus crack and was limping for a week.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:16 pm

I think Badwater ran over the weekend.  Not me.

Glad you got away and left the house to the cat!  See?  He can be trusted in the house as long as he's in his cage!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:19 pm

ounce wrote:I think Badwater ran over the weekend.  Not me.

Glad you got away and left the house to the cat!  See?  He can be trusted in the house as long as he's in his cage!

I hesitate to mention that we had two (count 'em, 2) water damage incidents during our vacation.

In one, a toilet in a friend's house overflowed so much that it went into the ductwork and started draining one floor below. Alita and I leapt into action to get it sopped up while our host was going "Huh?"

In the other, a bear (yes, a bear) ripped up piping behind a motel where we were staying in the mountains, flooding one of the units and shutting off water to two units. (It also broke into my brother-in-law's car... twice.)

Fluff swears he was home the whole time.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:36 pm

Fluff's a Teamster!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:14 am

ounce wrote:Fluff's a Teamster!

That would explain a lot.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:17 am

Barefoot Run: 3.1 miles

Weather: Morning clouds. Cool and muggy. 56 degrees. Gear: Bare feet, shorts, T. Fuel: A bit of coffee before.

It seems like it's been an eternity since I ran last, and I've been unusually fatigued ever since my vacation, so I wasn't sure what to expect as I started back at it this morning. I went out to do some barefoot laps around the block and was pretty pleased to see my HR drop as low as 54 before I started.

The run surprised me a bit, with three miles under 11 minutes (woot!), though my heart rate was in my target zone in only Mile 1. It climbed a bit -- but stayed below my older, higher, target -- in Miles 2 and 3. It seems that my legs knew how fast they wanted to go, because my splits were quite consistent. (10:59, 10:54; 10:56)

I walked after the run and saw my HR drop back down pretty quickly, which was also a good sign.

Average HR for entire run: 133

Note: I get canker sores from time to time, and I've been struggling with an extremely painful one for the past couple of days. That tends to put a damper on my mood, and it sucks the energy right out of my body. The consistently interesting thing I've found is that running is one of the few things that pushes the pain into the background. Not sure why, but I'm glad it does.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:13 pm

Low HR Run: 2.25 miles

Weather: Sunny, cool. 56° Gear: Lunas, shorts, T. Fuel: Just coffee before.

Ever have one of those mornings when you wake up feeling rotten but get yourself out the door and experience a complete turnaround by the time your run is over?

This was not one of those mornings.

Woke up feeling crappy. Forced myself to get up, because I had planned to try a 6-mile MAF test at the local track. Dragged myself out the door late, noticed my pre-run HR was 15 bpm higher than it was yesterday morning before my run but decided to give it a shot. Hey, the magic of the run, right?

Not this time. I barely made it through my warmup mile, then talked myself into at least seeing how a single MAF mile would go. It was slow and difficult. The best I can say is that my HR dropped back down pretty quickly when I gave up after the mile and did a quarter mile cooldown walk.

(I'm blaming at least part of this on that large, extra-painful mouth ulcer. I guess it's asking too much to expect it to not have a physiological impact while dong a MAF test. Oh well. It'll heal eventually. I'll MAF it again some other time.)
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:53 am

And the answer to the post above  is yup on both counts.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:37 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:And the answer to the post above  is yup on both counts.

Yup. I'm glad I don't get them this bad very often. It puts a big damper on things. This one has had such a systemic impact that it feels like I've been slightly sick for days. (Which might actually be the case.) To top it off, I can't smile/smirk/laugh/articulate without getting a hot poker sensation in my lip. That means walking around with a flat expres​sion(my loving wife says "lobotomized") and keeping my jaw in the same position for hours.

Anyway, whine over. I know that this will pass, and it'll feel like a cloud lifting when it does. I'm very much looking forward to that.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:48 pm

Mark B wrote:
Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:And the answer to the post above  is yup on both counts.

Yup. I'm glad I don't get them this bad very often. It puts a big damper on things. This one has had such a systemic impact that it feels like I've been slightly sick for days. (Which might actually be the case.) To top it off, I can't smile/smirk/laugh/articulate without getting a hot poker sensation in my lip. That means walking around with a flat expres​sion(my loving wife says "lobotomized") and keeping my jaw in the same position for hours.

Anyway, whine over. I know that this will pass, and it'll feel like a cloud lifting when it does. I'm very much looking forward to that.

I get those occasionally and I'm not surprised that it affected your running...it's a sign your immune system is struggling.

On a brighter note...glad to hear you enjoyed getting...er hiking...high in Colorado.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:53 pm

nkrichards wrote:
Mark B wrote:

I get those occasionally and I'm not surprised that it affected your running...it's a sign your immune system is struggling.

On a brighter note...glad to hear you enjoyed getting...er hiking...high in Colorado.

:smirks: Ow! Wink

You are probably on to something re. immune system. My niece had just gotten over a virus that had cranked her temperature up to 104 only a few days before we all got together. Several of us started sneezing on the same day (we blamed allergies), and the first canker sore breakout for me happened shortly thereafter.

Yes, Colorado was very nice and quite beautiful, though this trip was more about maintaining connections than exploring cool places. I hope to get back there at some point and spend more time outdoors. Even so, I'll get some more photos posted up at some point.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:00 pm

Walk: 2.6 toasty miles

Weather: Sunny (but shady in the woods, mostly): 86. Gear: *New* testers.

I things were going well getting ready for my 50K in October, I'd have done a nice long run today. But things aren't going well, so I opted to get whatever I could and headed out for an afternoon walk with Alita in our local woods.

At 86 in the shade, it was warm, bordering on hot. So we kept it easy, though we did jog a few downhills, and we cut it off a little early since we were getting hot and thirsty. Better than nothing.

It was also my first big outing in my new test shoes. Just got them last week. It'll give me a chance to mix things up a bit, which I think is possibly overdue.

Hope to get more running in soon but schedules aren't cooperating. I'm seriously contemplating dropping the 50K at this point and focusing on spring and early summer races from now on. Summer training for a fall event hasn't worked out very well for me this year. More on that later.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:37 pm

Since I haven't bet any money on you for the 50K, you have my permission to drop out.  I'm sure you'll rest easier, tonight, and won't be fretting or getting all sorts of cranky about it.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:53 pm

All I can say is that summer training even in 90F temps with 90%+ humidity is better than -8 and ice and snow any day.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:58 pm

ounce wrote:Since I haven't bet any money on you for the 50K, you have my permission to drop out.  I'm sure you'll rest easier, tonight, and won't be fretting or getting all sorts of cranky about it.

Yeah, because dropping out of something two months beforehand is certain to cause no level of second-guessing whatsoever...

Gah. This is difficult to write about. I've had very successful training cycles in previous years during the summer, but I haven't been able to hit a rhythm this year. I haven't been able to manage the early morning runs that I need to do in order to have time with the family without ending up wiped out halfway through the week. And schedule conflicts are getting even bigger for the next couple of weeks before school starts, so getting any run in is going to be a challenge.

Also, I probably made it harder on myself than I should have, trying to do so much ultra-minimal running. I enjoy it, and I'm getting better at it, but it seems to put a greater impact on the body than clopping along in shoes once I get past a half dozen miles or so. Hills (especially downhills) magnify that effect. I'm learning that progress in this type of running cannot be forced into the dictates of a training plan. At least, not for me.

I'm also starting to wonder if I might have been asking too much of my body to jump back into training right after putting out a huge effort (HR+time wise) in that 25K I did in the middle of June. I tried to get a good build-up going, but I ended up sputtering and finally, in the past few weeks, have hardly run at all.

If they were running the 50K and the 30K on the same day, like they did last year, I'd ask to drop down and try to get ready for that. But they are running the 30K the following day, which throws off hotel stays and drives home and such.

I know I should suddenly find myself with an abundance of time once school starts up again in early September, but I'm pretty sure that a month isn't enough time to get ready for even an "undertrained" effort at the 50K -- especially since my best effort was going to be putting me at the edge of cutoffs, anyway.

I haven't pulled the plug yet. I've been thinking about this for quite a while, and I'm not quite out from under the issue that I had last week (which, in addition to hurting like the devil also cultivates a pretty gloomy mood), so inspiration might strike when I least expect it. Heck, maybe the shoes (see the following paragraph) will help in that area.

Dropping from the race would not mean stepping back from running, of course. Partly because I started a new long-term wear test the other day. I agreed to do it as a way to see how my body reacts to more footwear on the roads. It gives me an excuse to sit the sandals and bare feet to the side for at least a little while and see what good has come from the past year or two of focusing on them more or less exclusively.

Sorry for rambling. I don't like quitting, but the last thing I need at this point is to get in too far over my head.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:08 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:All I can say is that summer training even in 90F temps with 90%+ humidity is better than -8 and ice and snow any day.

No argument there, Michele. (And thank goodness I live in the Pacific Northwest, where neither of those things happen.)

It's been hotter than usual here this summer -- we hit 103° at one point -- but that hasn't had much of an impact on my challenges these past few months. (Read my manifesto above for those.) I will be glad for cool and rainy fall weather, as will the folks who have to fight wildfires. It's a tinderbox out there.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:39 pm

Okay, that's done with. Dropped from the 50K. Not happy about it, but it was the right choice.

Time to step back and regroup.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:34 pm

I can certainly identify with what's happened to you.  It is difficult training during the summer, no matter where it is, even when things are doing fine.

Maybe you need to get a voodoo doll for Fluff!

You've had calf issues and I think your feet are confused.  (Note that I haven't said that you're old. silent )  amazon is having a sale on karma, today.  Just enjoy the coming sales tax holiday that is probably upcoming, we had ours last weekend.

You'll be fine, Mark.  I will bet your bottom dollar that the sun will come up tomorrow.

As I type this, it's 104 degrees outside (a new record), rain is about to roll through (don't remember seeing it rain when >100 degrees), and I have a hill workout in 2 hours.

edit:  it rose to 106 after posting and it did rain a bit at my place, but heavy east of town.

Rest up and get your mojo back from Fluff.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:31 pm

Arrow                                                                                                                           Exclamation 

Arrow                                                                                                                            Exclamation Suspect 

(Measuring for drapes.)
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:17 pm

Okay, fine. I was going to depressurize (sulk) for a few more days then start talking about my next steps, but your inspired use of emoticons drew me out. That must have taken a lot of work on your part. Thank you!

I know too much navel gazing isn't exactly scintillating reading, so I'll do my best to keep it brief and breezy.

What happened: Pretty simply, I ran out of available time (given other demands on it) to be able to get ready for the 50K. It was already tricky when I looked at my results from the 25K and realized that I couldn't guarantee that I'd make the cutoffs for the 50K -- even if everything went right. That ramped up the pressure, and every missed workout felt like a looming disaster.

Not quite the ideal circumstances for a guy who might be slightly high-strung, eh?

Anyway, the closer I got to it, the more things got in the way, and the harder it seemed to have the energy to even get out the door. Which ramped up the pressure more. I was to the point of having anxiety-induced chest pain and palpitations, which is just ridiculous for something I'm supposed to enjoy.

What's going on now: I'm feeling the pressure easing bit by bit, and the disappointment of missing a cool race this fall isn't so bad. I'm rolling around a few ideas in my head, and I'm debating whether to get back to some running right away or to just get through the rest of the summer and get back to it when school starts and I have more alone time.

What's likely to happen: Whether I take a break or get back to it (Nike is expecting me to test shoes, so I cant be too lazy), my goal is to just run this fall and see how it goes. I think I will be able to slowly build my mileage so when the time comes to do something, I'll be ready. Part of next year will be dedicated to helping Alita run a 6- then a 12-hour run for her 50th birthday, so that'll take priority. When I do pick a race, I'm probably leaning toward a sub-ultra trail race at first. I've already proved to myself that I can do ultra distances... but now I need to decide what I actually like to do.

So much for brief...

Anyway, more later. Make sure to screw the curtain rods into the studs, Ounce, or they'll blow a hole in the drywall.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:09 pm

Sorry I missed the conversation leading up to your decision...I know it's a tough decision to make.

If it's any consolation I made the same decision in 2011 and 2012 and pulled out of my fall marathon.  In 2013 I regrouped and ran a PR and BQ. 

Rest, relax, make some changes and figure out what makes it fun for you again!
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:27 pm

Hi Nancy! Thanks for stopping by. You didn't really miss much drama. It was mostly internal.

I might be better off sneaking up on things than setting huge targets. Better, maybe, that I just run for now and let things develop on a less structured way and pounce when the time is right.

---

Walk: 2 miles

Weather: Overcast, warm, muggy. 68° Gear: Testers

A walk showing Alita a shortcut to our local high school. Getting some distance on the testers, though I'm not really in love with how they feel. Hope to try them running before too long.

Weather note: I know we don't compete with the truly horrible places to be in the summer, but I must note that Portland tied its all time record for 90-degree days yesterday and will certainly rack a few more before fall finally arrives. It's just hot enough to be constantly slightly uncomfortable.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:54 pm

What about building some base and making it a goal to accompany Alita on one of those challenges.  Could be fun
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:19 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:What about building some base and making it a goal to accompany Alita on one of those challenges.  Could be fun

That's a great idea, Michele. That will definitely be one of my goals. I've never done a timed event, but they sound like a unique challenge.

We're probably looking at two races:

The 6-hour timed run at the Elijah Bristow 24 Hour Run on June 18-19. It offers a loop trail of just over 1 mile with 15 feet of elevation change per lap. It has 150 yards of pavement per lap, with the rest being single track trail wide enough to run two abreast. This ought to be a good test and confidence builder. It's located near Eugene, so we can visit my stepmom while we're at it.

The 12-hour timed trail event at the Pick Your Poison Relay at Hagg Lake in the foothills of the Coast Range west of Portland in late July. (It used to be called Lake of Death Relay until somebody drowned in the lake and took all the fun out of the name.) The race offers loops on trail or pavement, and Alita wants to do trail. That means 14.5 miles per lap, so more time out alone, and it has much more elevation change. It's billed as a relay, but you can run the whole time solo if you want.

Alita wants to rack up as many miles as she can at these events to celebrate her 50th birthday. She doesn't have a goal distance, though she'd be pleased if she could surpass the marathon distance at the 12-hour event.

To be able to support her in that goal would be very rewarding.

(True confession: I always wanted to get in good enough shape to be a pacer and help others reach their goals, but I have never managed to get that consistently fit and healthy. Maybe someday.)
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:02 am

Mark B wrote:Okay, fine. I was going to depressurize (sulk) for a few more days then start talking about my next steps, but your inspired use of emoticons drew me out. That must have taken a lot of work on your part. Thank you!

I know too much navel gazing isn't exactly scintillating reading, so I'll do my best to keep it brief and breezy.

What happened: Pretty simply, I ran out of available time (given other demands on it) to be able to get ready for the 50K. It was already tricky when I looked at my results from the 25K and realized that I couldn't guarantee that I'd make the cutoffs for the 50K -- even if everything went right. That ramped up the pressure, and every missed workout felt like a looming disaster.

Not quite the ideal circumstances for a guy who might be slightly high-strung, eh?

Anyway, the closer I got to it, the more things got in the way, and the harder it seemed to have the energy to even get out the door. Which ramped up the pressure more. I was to the point of having anxiety-induced chest pain and palpitations, which is just ridiculous for something I'm supposed to enjoy.

What's going on now: I'm feeling the pressure easing bit by bit, and the disappointment of missing a cool race this fall isn't so bad. I'm rolling around a few ideas in my head, and I'm debating whether to get back to some running right away or to just get through the rest of the summer and get back to it when school starts and I have more alone time.

What's likely to happen: Whether I take a break or get back to it (Nike is expecting me to test shoes, so I cant be too lazy), my goal is to just run this fall and see how it goes. I think I will be able to slowly build my mileage so when the time comes to do something, I'll be ready. Part of next year will be dedicated to helping Alita run a 6- then a 12-hour run for her 50th birthday, so that'll take priority. When I do pick a race, I'm probably leaning toward a sub-ultra trail race at first. I've already proved to myself that I can do ultra distances... but now I need to decide what I actually like to do.

So much for brief...

Anyway, more later. Make sure to screw the curtain rods into the studs, Ounce, or they'll blow a hole in the drywall.
Fluff is my contractor, since it IS your blog.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 18 of 40 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 29 ... 40  Next