365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Building A Better Bumblebee

+11
Michele "1L" Keane
Julie
Dave P
mul21
nkrichards
Mike MacLellan
T Miller
Nick Morris
Tim C
Tom H
mountandog
15 posters

Page 11 of 40 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 25 ... 40  Next

Go down

Building A Better Bumblebee - Page 11 Empty Re: Building A Better Bumblebee

Post  Mark B Sun May 31, 2015 1:49 pm

nkrichards wrote:
Mark B wrote:I even stepped out onto it, but alas... it was private property, and didn't actually go anywhere.  

Good call, Mark.  We get so annoyed with runners and bikers who think our farm roads are theirs to enjoy.  Not that we are opposed to sharing but when we've just spayed the fields and their dogs are out cavorting in the spray while they knock the seeds to the ground it gets a bit annoying.

Quick note on this. When I went back out last Thursday, the farmer had posted "No Trespassing" signs at several points on the property. Guess not everybody erred on the side of respecting private property. Tsk.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:29 am

Just for your general outlook on life, I'm glad you were able to run in sub-Houstonesque temperatures.  I always thought I had the monopoly to remark about temps & dewpoints in the 70s.  And your legs enjoyed the temperatures after your prior days in my world.  You were just along for the ride, I dare say.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:57 pm

Mark B wrote:
nkrichards wrote:
Mark B wrote:I even stepped out onto it, but alas... it was private property, and didn't actually go anywhere.  

Good call, Mark.  We get so annoyed with runners and bikers who think our farm roads are theirs to enjoy.  Not that we are opposed to sharing but when we've just spayed the fields and their dogs are out cavorting in the spray while they knock the seeds to the ground it gets a bit annoying.

Quick note on this. When I went back out last Thursday, the farmer had posted "No Trespassing" signs at several points on the property. Guess not everybody erred on the side of respecting private property. Tsk.

That's funny...we don't bother with "No Trespassing" signs.  People like you are already considerate and most people that would trespass think the signs are meant for someone else and ignore them anyway.  We don't actually mind people using the roads...we are primarily concerned about the potential for getting to close when we've sprayed recently...and also the small window when crop damage and pets is an issue.

Nice runs recently...looking forward to hearing how Beacon Rock goes.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:41 pm

ounce wrote:Just for your general outlook on life, I'm glad you were able to run in sub-Houstonesque temperatures.  I always thought I had the monopoly to remark about temps & dewpoints in the 70s.  And your legs enjoyed the temperatures after your prior days in my world.  You were just along for the ride, I dare say.

Cooler is nice. I got cooler today, though the humidity was over the top. Being in a cloud will do that for you.

nkrichards wrote:
Mark B wrote:
nkrichards wrote:

That's funny...we don't bother with "No Trespassing" signs.  People like you are already considerate and most people that would trespass think the signs are meant for someone else and ignore them anyway.  We don't actually mind people using the roads...we are primarily concerned about the potential for getting to close when we've sprayed recently...and also the small window when crop damage and pets is an issue.

Nice runs recently...looking forward to hearing how Beacon Rock goes.

I think part of the reason is they have a berry field in the back and don't want workers to park on the other roads and tromp through their hay field to get to the job site. Of course, we do have lots of cyclists around here... hm.

Did a dry (actually, wet) run at Beacon Rock today as my last big run before taper. It was pretty challenging, but it went well. Still, I can't fathom doing two loops on that course to make it 50K. The thought of it terrifies me. Shocked
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:41 pm

Trail Run: 14.46 miles

Weather: Party very wet. Mid 50s. Gear: Altra Lone Peak 2, shorts, T, jacket (when it started to rain and blow), hat. Could have used a machete. Fuel: Water in camelbak. Tried taking E-Caps every 30-45 minutes, food every 55 minutes. (LaraBarsx2, Granola Bar package, one stale Gu.)

Time for my last big run before the Beacon Rock 25K. I decided to make it a dry run of most of the course, cutting about a mile off the total distance. It was also a test run for the new Altras, in the hopes they'd provide more rock protection on these steep and technical trails.

I called it a dry run, but it was actually quite wet. The higher elevation areas were in the cloud even before it started raining, and the overgrown plants along some stretches of the trail were covered with water. I was dripping wet at times from the chest down. Then it started raining. Good thing I had my jacket and hat, or it would have been very difficult.

I had never tried hitting both climbs in the 25K in a training run, and wow, what a difference it makes. Not so much for the uphills, but for the downhills. Damn. Steep and several different types of rocky. I could feel that later in the run.

All told, it was probably one of the most challenging training runs I've ever done. I got it done and was able to push the pace in the final (and smoother) downhill. Pretty sore, but satisfied. And convinced more than ever that I will never attempt the 50K on this course -- because you do it all twice. Yipes.

Walked first 5 minutes, a little bit after stopping. Average HR for entire run: 138

Building A Better Bumblebee - Page 11 Screen10
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:13 am

I don't think you're ready for Beacon Rock, yet.  I think you need to do it again until your better at the downhills.  Scoot.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:53 am

ounce wrote:I don't think you're ready for Beacon Rock, yet.  I think you need to do it again until your better at the downhills.  Scoot.

Honestly, I wish I could peel off about 30 pounds of blubber in the next week. That'd reduce the strain on the ankles nicely!

Tell you what, though. I don't think ANY shoe would prevent the build-up of soreness in the feet and ankles on that terrain. It's far more rugged than any stretch on the Mount Hood 50 race... so it'd be a great training area for other races. You can simulate steep uphills on a treadmill. Steep downhills on rock-strewn trails? Not so much.

FWIW, my ankles and lower legs stopped screaming at me a few minutes after I finished. I've been sore, but it's clearing up this morning. It'll be interesting to see how much DOMS action I get in my quads later today and tomorrow. I was doing a lot of experimenting out there on those downhills, trying to find the best way of minimizing the impact and effort level.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:08 pm

Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:I don't think you're ready for Beacon Rock, yet.  I think you need to do it again until your better at the downhills.  Scoot.

Honestly, I wish I could peel off about 30 pounds of blubber in the next week. That'd reduce the strain on the ankles nicely!

Tell you what, though. I don't think ANY shoe would prevent the build-up of soreness in the feet and ankles on that terrain. It's far more rugged than any stretch on the Mount Hood 50 race... so it'd be a great training area for other races. You can simulate steep uphills on a treadmill. Steep downhills on rock-strewn trails? Not so much.

FWIW, my ankles and lower legs stopped screaming at me a few minutes after I finished. I've been sore, but it's clearing up this morning. It'll be interesting to see how much DOMS action I get in my quads later today and tomorrow. I was doing a lot of experimenting out there on those downhills, trying to find the best way of minimizing the impact and effort level.

I'm with you on the 30 lbs.  You're right (I know it's something rare to read or hear coming from anybody) about the shoes.  Any chance of getting that trail asphalted by race day?

My shins sometimes hurt for the first couple of miles, but they'll stop.  My ankles never whine, for some reason.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:09 pm

I didn't get the chance to post photos from my run yesterday, so here they are now. My artistic efforts were complicated (and sometimes thwarted) by a balky iPhone that likes to crash when it's on the edge of cell phone reception areas. That means I have to use an external battery to jumpstart it. When clouds are moving quickly through a gorge in front of you, it's tricky. I missed making an image of a sight that made my heart go pit-a-pat.

Also, it was so wet that I had trouble using the touchscreen on the phone. The LifeProof case protected the phone, but it and my hands were so wet, it didn't register the contact from my finger. I tried finding a try piece of clothing to wipe the phone and my hand... but that only worked once or twice. After that, no dice. The only way I was able to get the camera going at one point was to activate Siri and ask her to do it. Thankfully, I was in cell phone range and Siri would work and open the camera for me. If I hand't, I wouldn't have been able to capture that last image below.

Anyway... the photos!

Building A Better Bumblebee - Page 11 Img_2010

A machete would have come in handy. Not only did sections of trail like this get me completely soaked (as in, dripping wet), they also obscured the random loose rock on the ground, which made for some tricky navigation.

Building A Better Bumblebee - Page 11 Img_2011

An example of the aforementioned loose rocks and encroaching (and waterlogged) vegetatation. There were sections far worse, and sections so tricky to traverse that the thought of photographing them didn't even even my mind. I was too busy trying to not fall off the mountain. Smile

Building A Better Bumblebee - Page 11 Img_2012

Not ALL of the trails were that tricky. There were miles of trails in the forest that were quite runnable. They were pretty steep, though, which made for some sore ankles toward the end.

Building A Better Bumblebee - Page 11 Img_2013

But the payoff is the chance to see (and if you're lucky, photograph) views like this. The Gorge was totally socked in for much of the run, but every once in a while, the clouds would break up and give you views that took my breath away. This was the photograph I was able to make with Siri's help.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:23 pm

ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote:

I'm with you on the 30 lbs.  You're right (I know it's something rare to read or hear coming from anybody) about the shoes.  Any chance of getting that trail asphalted by race day?

My shins sometimes hurt for the first couple of miles, but they'll stop.  My ankles never whine, for some reason.

Yesterday on the trail I was imagining being hoisted up like a whale and having layers of blubber peeled off. I suspect that would have some unpleasant side effects, but the image was potent.

You may have stronger ankles than I do. The construction of my feet puts a lot of torque on mine.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:41 pm

really pretty pictures.  As far as the ankles, I have more weight on them.  I had a sprained ankle in 2005 the August before the MCM.  It was the last sprained ankle that I have had.  Lots of ankle exercises and watching where I put my feet...and not many trails, which does exasperate the ankles with moderate swelling around the ankle bone, but they still love me by the fluid going away in a day or so.

You just need a phaser, not a machete.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:05 pm

Cute rocks, Mark.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:32 pm

Mike MacLellan wrote:Cute rocks, Mark.

Ooo. Impressive. Did you run on it? Hopefully not for miles and miles. Where is it?

This was an example of the general trail surface, mile after mile. Not bad at first, but it and the steep descents tend to wear you down over time. Like I said before, when it got really technical, the thought of taking a photo didn't even occur to me. I was maintaining three points of contact on the rain-slicked rock.

I looked for photos of that section online, and everybody else was too chicken to pull out a camera then, too. Smile
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:08 am

I hear ya, and just teasing.  I can't stand rocks of any type - I like my trails relatively pristine.  Some ultra wannabe I am.

That photo was from the Massanutten 100.  Apparently 2/3 of the course looks like that.  I ran the "best" part of the course, 30 miles of it, and probably 10-15 looked like that. The last 6 were disgusting and made me want to cry.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:07 am

Mike MacLellan wrote:I hear ya, and just teasing.  I can't stand rocks of any type - I like my trails relatively pristine.  Some ultra wannabe I am.

That photo was from the Massanutten 100.  Apparently 2/3 of the course looks like that.  I ran the "best" part of the course, 30 miles of it, and probably 10-15 looked like that. The last 6 were disgusting and made me want to cry.

You, teasing?! I'm shocked! Shocked! Wink

I hear you on pristine trails. The thing about rocks (other than kicking em or rolling an ankle on one) is that they put your foot and ankle in a different angle with every single footfall. Now, all trails do that to an extent, and it's generally good for you. But rocks amplify that effect and put more torque on those joints. I'm sure the body adapts and gets stronger with time and practice, but golly... it'll wear you down pretty effectively in the meantime.

So, 66 miles on top of that? I wonder what the average finish times are like for the Massanutten 100. Not as zippy as some, I'd bet. Yow.

It even gets to elite ultra guys. Yassine Diboun is a local ultra stud, and he can fly over terrain that'd make me cry... but even he was taken aback by this trail in a recent event, as shown on his Instagram page.

Building A Better Bumblebee - Page 11 Screen11

If you do Instagram, he's well worth following. (You can follow me, too, at LifeWithFluff)

Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:29 am

Well, I used to fly over terrain like that in New Hampshire and North Georgia when I was Mike's age too (LOL).  Now I stick to the barked bridle or hard packed dirt trails here that are not too technical.  Getting old I guess!
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:17 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Well, I used to fly over terrain like that in New Hampshire and North Georgia when I was Mike's age too (LOL).  Now I stick to the barked bridle or hard packed dirt trails here that are not too technical.  Getting old I guess!

Or smart. Very Happy
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:18 pm

Barefoot Run: 3.1 miles on wet asphalt

Weather: Overcast, muggy, mild. 57 degrees. Gear: Bare feet, shorts, T, jacket and hat (shed).

Not too much DOMS after my run Monday, so I decided to test out my legs this morning with a barefoot run. It went well, and I tried to keep my HR close to my target. Did a pretty good job of that, and the paces were pretty good, too. My form felt nice and compact, but relaxed.

Average HR for entire run: 129
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:21 pm

Lowish HR Run: 90 minutes (7.05 miles)

Weather: Sunny and warm, with a slight breeze. 71 degrees. Gear: Lunas, shorts, T. Fuel: Water in handheld.

Sort of tapering for my 25K a week from Saturday, so I choose a flatter steady-state run on the roads rather than another "TreadHill" effort. Besides, my legs are still recovering from Monday's extra-tough workout on the racecourse.

Where Monday was wet and cool, today is sunny and warm, with sunshine that almost qualifies as hot. I waited a little to head out. It could be warm next Saturday, so a little heat acclimatization seemed like a good idea.

Results: I held a pretty steady HR, which was nice to see, though it was a few beats higher than I'd like. Still, I kept it under my tested "run all day" HR and was pretty satisfied to see my paces stay fairly consistent, despite the sun. I was also happy to finally crest Llama Ridge at this new lower heart rate. I didn't see Larry and Moe, but I did see the Alpaca Brigade next door.

Walked first and last 5 minutes. Average HR for entire run: 130
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sat Jun 06, 2015 5:08 pm

Hope the weather cools down before your race...

Katie sent a photo from Dog Mountain.  Wow...wish I was there.  I'd definitely put it on your list of places to hike.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:26 pm

nkrichards wrote:Hope the weather cools down before your race...

Katie sent a photo from Dog Mountain.  Wow...wish I was there.  I'd definitely put it on your list of places to hike.

It's supposed to start cooling of a little later this week, which would be nice. My race starts at 9, but it'll be early afternoon when I'm done. It'll be different from my last run there, when I had to keep moving to keep warm! Ah, spring.

Dog Mountain is one of the prettier hikes in the Gorge. Might make a good family outing when we want to exercise the kid.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:27 pm

Walk: 4.28 miles

Weather: Clear and mild. 61 degrees Gear: Altra Instincts, shorts, T. Fuel: Only a few drinks of water.

A bit of an experiment this morning, getting up early for a walk with Alita before it got too warm. I don't usually walk with a HR monitor on, but I figured this would be a good test to see where I am at a straight walk.

The walk went fine, though I had a devil of a time keeping up with my walking partner. I'm a good 9 inches taller than she is, but she has the ability to cruise along walking at about a 15-minute pace when she gets going. For whatever reason, that is not something I can do. It actually hurts. Weird.

One thing we did differently, also, was to pop out of bed and get out the door as fast as possible. That meant no coffee, no calories... and no serious pit stop. That may have had an influence, as well.

The HR track was jumpier than I expected, though I was in full fat-burning mode the whole time with a HR in the mid-90s, except when we climbed out of the ravine, which spiked my HR up to 121.

Average HR for the whole walk: 93
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:11 pm

Taper/Heat Acclimatization Run: 4 miles

Weather: Sunny and hot. 78° in shade, 88° in sun, pavement temp 115°+ Gear: Lunas, shorts, cotton T, hat. Fuel: Carried nuun in handheld, E-Cap at 45 min

We're having a mini heat wave (highs around 90) early this year, and I'd usually head out as early as I could to avoid the heat, but I don't know if it's still going to be hot for the race on Saturday, so I decided to wait for it to warm up some and practiced running in the direct sun.

Building A Better Bumblebee - Page 11 Mister10

I even dusted off an old hat from a former life as sun protection. All the cool kid trail runners wear trucker hats now, don't they? Well, I guess that means I can, too. (Apologies in advance to any offended vegans.) Wink

I'm tapering, so it was only 4 miles. But it felt farther, and the effort level was markedly higher. Physiological stimulus? Check! Hope it helps. And I hope predictions of a cooling trend prove true. Whew! It was freakin' hot!

Walked first and last 5 minutes. Average HR for entire run: 128
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:47 pm

90 degrees is hot, no matter the location. 

But I think that it's more TAPER MADNESS!!!!!!

There, there.  It'll all be over soon and you'll need some Fluff lovin'. cat
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:12 pm

ounce wrote:90 degrees is hot, no matter the location. 

But I think that it's more TAPER MADNESS!!!!!!

There, there.  It'll all be over soon and you'll need some Fluff lovin'. cat

Well, it's a mini taper for a "half-ultra" ("ultra-half?"), so I think all caps might be a bit much. Still, it has been a while since I did a race... and I have weird aches and pains... cyclops cyclops cyclops

Oh, what the heck: Tally-ho!
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 40 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 25 ... 40  Next