365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Building A Better Bumblebee

+11
Michele "1L" Keane
Julie
Dave P
mul21
nkrichards
Mike MacLellan
T Miller
Nick Morris
Tim C
Tom H
mountandog
15 posters

Page 8 of 40 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 24 ... 40  Next

Go down

Building A Better Bumblebee - Page 8 Empty Re: Building A Better Bumblebee

Post  nkrichards Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:57 pm

Mark B wrote:Heh. I might have failed to take the possibility of DOMS (Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness) into account in my post on Tuesday.

Later that night, ka-POW! My quads started complaining. A lot.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised. I did (mostly) run down about 3,200 feet of steep trail on Monday. The eccentric load on my quads was significant. But it's crazy how it seems fine at first before blowing up. I read that it's possible to continue training with DOMS and not do further damage to the muscle (they're not even really sure what it is), but the tightness has made one leg kind of wobbly, so I've opted for rest.

The quads in my right leg have mostly cleared, but my left leg is still touchy, so another rest day today.

It's been kind of inconvenient from a training standpoint, but hopefully I'll get some benefit out of it. Even if I don't, it was still worth it.
Oddly enough I expected to really suffer after laying flat on my back for 3 days after my marathon.   I won't say my legs weren't stiff and sore but not near what I expected.  Did they recover even though I wasn't allowed to move around or did my slower pace prevent some of the soreness..who knows.

Recover well.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:57 pm

nkrichards wrote:
Mark B wrote:Heh. I might have failed to take the possibility of DOMS (Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness) into account in my post on Tuesday.

Later that night, ka-POW! My quads started complaining. A lot.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised. I did (mostly) run down about 3,200 feet of steep trail on Monday. The eccentric load on my quads was significant. But it's crazy how it seems fine at first before blowing up. I read that it's possible to continue training with DOMS and not do further damage to the muscle (they're not even really sure what it is), but the tightness has made one leg kind of wobbly, so I've opted for rest.

The quads in my right leg have mostly cleared, but my left leg is still touchy, so another rest day today.

It's been kind of inconvenient from a training standpoint, but hopefully I'll get some benefit out of it. Even if I don't, it was still worth it.
Oddly enough I expected to really suffer after laying flat on my back for 3 days after my marathon.   I won't say my legs weren't stiff and sore but not near what I expected.  Did they recover even though I wasn't allowed to move around or did my slower pace prevent some of the soreness..who knows.

Recover well.

Thanks, Nancy, and glad to see you posting!

There's a chance that you *might* have been a tad distracted from normal post-race discomfort to really notice it. That, and your late-race slowdown probably eased the impact you would have otherwise had if you had been continuing to push the pace on fatigued legs.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:06 am

I didn't hurt much after I showered either although my left hip froze up in the last miles after I slowed down when I lost Nick (and was worried as his left hammie went a bit sour).  I couldn't respond when he caught me - just locked in on these old legs - but after a warm room and shower, I was fine.  i could have run on Tuesday but I got a massage and rested until Friday morning.  It helped that the weather was crappy here and I have had enough of crappy weather.   I know I am in slightly better shape than I ran, but I could not have run any faster on Monday.  So now, I'm running the Toledo half tomorrow.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:01 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:I didn't hurt much after I showered either although my left hip froze up in the last miles after I slowed down when I lost Nick (and was worried as his left hammie went a bit sour).  I couldn't respond when he caught me - just locked in on these old legs - but after a warm room and shower, I was fine.  i could have run on Tuesday but I got a massage and rested until Friday morning.  It helped that the weather was crappy here and I have had enough of crappy weather.   I know I am in slightly better shape than I ran, but I could not have run any faster on Monday.  So now, I'm running the Toledo half tomorrow.

That sounds like a good plan, Michele. Hope the half goes well!

Resting is working for me, too, though I progressed from being amused by my soreness (on Tuesday) to just being annoyed for how long the soreness lingered. It didn't help that one leg cleared sooner and was ready to go while the other one was still grumpy. I kind of blew a training week for a single run. Oops.

Still, big adventure outings like this is why I train. Sure, I like organized events, and I like to see my paces and race times improve, but everything I've been doing for the past few years (including barefooting) is intended to help me better handle rough terrain. I have to remind myself of that from time to time. Very Happy

It also helps that both legs have pretty much cleared, so I can get back to it tomorrow. Whew!
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:42 pm

Trail Run: 3.14 miles

Weather: Mostly cloudy, mild. Mid-50s. Gear: Nike Terra Kigers, shorts, T. Fuel: Carried water in handheld.

Time to test out the legs and accompany Alita as she works to get back into trail shape. We headed over to our local trails and ran a planned 3-mile out and back route through the trees. We walked a few times for recovery, which helped me keep the intensity very low. I'm getting better at floating uphill at a heart rate that's closer to my target.

My legs were completely fine. DOMS is gone. Woot!

Alita did well and handled the distance without any trouble.

I wore my Nike trail shoes this time, keeping things mixed up. I've talked about getting a more robust pair of trail shoes to supplement my Altra Superiors... but I'm probably going to experiment with the Terra Kigers and see if they'll be enough. They have a slight (4 mm) drop and a bit more support, though they lack a rock plate. But I already own them, and as they say, a pair of trail shoes on the feet are better than two in the shop. Or something like that. Smile

Just for the hell of it, I charged up the last hill to where the car was parked. It's longer than it looks! I made it 2/3 of the way up before I started to slow down, and those last 50 feet were kind of challenging. And I hit my "tested" maximum heart rate again! Hm...

Walked first and last 5 minutes, a couple of bits in the middle. Average HR for entire run: 120
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:39 pm

Fizzled Low HR Run: 2 miles, walking back last mile

Weather: Sunny, warming. 64 degrees and climbing. Gear: Luna sandals, shorts, T. Fuel: Carried nuun in handheld.

According to my grand plan, I was supposed to run long on the roads today. (I'm trying to switch between trails and roads on alternate Mondays.) But I ended up pulling the plug after a mile and walking home. Nothing was working right. My legs felt off, my HR was spiking in a weird way and my mood was rotten. Hate it when that happens.

*-I had some unusual GI pain last night, so maybe my body is just off. Also, it was sunny and warm, which can be like kryptonite to me sometimes, and my mind is preoccupied with other things.

Average HR for the entire run/walk: 101
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:36 pm

You poor thing.  Well as we say down here in Texas, "Excrement happens", which seems to be a couple of your issues.  I hate it when the rhythm is off and the song is out of tune.

Maybe you need to negotiate another collective bargaining agreement?  And just so that you don't think it's just you, it's supposed to be 50 degrees here on Wednesday morning.  Weird times.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:01 pm

Weird, indeed. The temperature high temperature went from 61 yesterday to 81 today, and it shoudl be back down to 58 tomorrow. Crazy.

And thanks for the sympathy. I'll take it, even if it is tinged with sarcasm.  Smile

Speaking of crazy, how's this for a complication? Yesterday morning, Fluff was sprinting across the floor when he launched himself onto furniture, using my big toe as a takeoff point. A claw skidded across my big toe nail and embedded itself into the groove right where the nail hits the nailbed. It may have gone under the nail. Hurt like the dickens and bled pretty well for a puncture wound. And now? Despite generous amounts of Neosporin®, the surrounding area is turning red. Sheesh. Really? Going to have to keep watch on it.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:08 pm

Hmm, me thinks Fluff is a killer in disguise.  

As for weird weather , come to NEOhio where it was 28 this morning and only a high of 40 and will be 70 by the weekend.  I wore a winter coat today - yup, a winter coat, hat and gloves.  It was 34F at the start of the Toledo race yesterday.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:13 pm

Whoa whoa whoa, Fluff.  First you ruin the house.  Okay, I forgive you.  But now you're messing with my running?!  YOU ARE NOW AN OUTDOORS CAT.  
- what Mark should be saying

In all reality, I think there's something to be said for your level of reasonableness (that's a word?) when it comes to feeling off.  Some of us are too damn stubborn, to our own detriment, to listen to such trifling things like our bodies.  I could take a page from your book.

Hope the toe heals up.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:36 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Hmm, me thinks Fluff is a killer in disguise.  

As for weird weather , come to NEOhio where it was 28 this morning and only a high of 40 and will be 70 by the weekend.  I wore a winter coat today - yup, a winter coat, hat and gloves.  It was 34F at the start of the Toledo race yesterday.

Like I've said before, Fluff is blameless. He's a force of nature. You know, like a tornado.  What a Face

Mike MacLellan wrote:Whoa whoa whoa, Fluff.  First you ruin the house.  Okay, I forgive you.  But now you're messing with my running?!  YOU ARE NOW AN OUTDOORS CAT.  
- what Mark should be saying

In all reality, I think there's something to be said for your level of reasonableness (that's a word?) when it comes to feeling off.  Some of us are too damn stubborn, to our own detriment, to listen to such trifling things like our bodies.  I could take a page from your book.

Hope the toe heals up.

Well, I was nearly doubled up on the sofa last night, so that's probably a strike against me for even thinking about going out today. But my body was putting out some pretty big signals when I was out there this morning, and the last thing I wanted is to go from bad to worse while I'm multiple miles away from home. At least this way, I only walked a mile.

As far as the toe goes, I'm watching it carefully. There's a surprising amount of redness around the bottom of the nail, a good half inch from where the claw went in. I have had a tetanus shot relatively recently, but still. (Note my restraint for not posting a photo!)

I think we'd be required to submit an environmental impact report if we ever let this cat outside...
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:21 am

Why am I not surprised to see that Fluff is once again the star of this blog...well maybe star isn't the right choice of words...

Good to hear that you're enjoying your outings with Alita. 

Take care of that toe and listen to your body.  Beacon Rock will be here before you know it.  Any news on registration for the race at the coast that you want to do later this year?
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:47 pm

Walk: 3.13 miles

Weather: Overcast, threatening and blustery. About 60°

A trip to Oregon and back, burning off some restless energy. At least my big toenail wound is improving. It looked like I might get wet, but the rain held off.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:49 pm

nkrichards wrote:Why am I not surprised to see that Fluff is once again the star of this blog...well maybe star isn't the right choice of words...

Good to hear that you're enjoying your outings with Alita. 

Take care of that toe and listen to your body.  Beacon Rock will be here before you know it.  Any news on registration for the race at the coast that you want to do later this year?

Hey, Nancy! Thanks for stopping by. I'm hoping to be fit enough to handle the 25K race at Beacon Rock (hopefully they'll let me drop down without counting it as a DNF in the 50K). Registration for the coast race is Thursday, hopefully. No word if they got the permit they needed from whatever reluctant agency they're dealing with. If all goes well, I will attempt the 50K then.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:06 pm

Barefoot Run: 3.1 miles on dry asphalt

Weather: Sunny, cool. 46 degrees. Gear: Bare feet, shorts, T, jacket (shed after warmed up). Fuel: Lowish-carb breakfast, coffee.

Feeling better this morning, so I headed out for some barefoot laps through the neighborhood. My goal was to stay as relaxed as possible and use my HR monitor as much as a measure of relaxation as anything else. Technology-assisted Zen, baby!

It worked, mostly, and I was fairly pleased with paces and HR averages.

No walking warmup or cool down. Average HR for entire run: 130

---

I'll enjoy the decent pace in memory, for a while, since I donated whole blood this afternoon. Totally worth it.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:49 pm

Okay, it took a half hour, and I think I ended up charging a credit card three times for it, but I am IN!

Building A Better Bumblebee - Page 8 10658710

Yup. The Oregon Coast 50K is now officially my goal/destination race for this year.

This was the race I'd wanted to run last year, were it not for the disruptions caused by the Fluffpacolypse (including my broken pinkie toe). Instead, Alita and I ended up volunteering at the finish line, making sure all the runners were at least partly rehydrated before they hit the beer trailer. drunken

Because of that, I earned a free (!) entry for a race this year, and I used it for this race. Seems appropriate.

My plans going forward are to get ready to do the Beacon Rock event, dropping to the 25K distance. I'm not ready for 50K yet, and there's no point killing myself. I can have lots of fun doing one loop on those trails, and with luck make it a positive memory.

Then, I'll keep building distance and trail time. It should put me in good place come Oct. 10.

And if you're wondering if I'll be running the six miles on the beach barefoot or in sandals, the answer is yes. The only question will be when I switch to shoes once I hit real trail.

Here's a description, courtesy of Rainshadow Running:

A COASTAL COURSE: From the beach to the bluffs to ridges high above to waves crashing into rocks just feet away, this race is never far from the ocean and always incredibly scenic. Starting on a wide, flat beach just south of Waldport, Oregon, you'll run to the small seaside town of Yachats [pronounced "Ya-hots!"] and past it to Cape Perpetua Park. After running a big loop at Cape Perpetua, you'll head back to an ocean-side finish at a hotel lawn in Yachats. Most of the miles are on fun, soft singletrack, that winds its way along the course, and there's also a bit of sandy but firm beach running [six miles at the start], a tiny bit of pavement, and some packed gravel trail to round out the course. You'll run flat sections, steep sections, big hills, little hills, through deep old forest, and right next to crashing surf. You'll have views up high, and views right on the beach. This race really does have something for everyone! And our epic post-race party, featuring live music, wood-fired pizza, local brews, and seaside views will be waiting for you at the finish-line, of course!

Post-race, we'll hang out at the finish line, lying in the sun-warmed grass with the ocean waves crashing into the rocks right in front of us, drinking tasty beverages, eating tasty, hot food, and listening to live music from The Pine Hearts. Why Run Anywhere Else?

Why indeed? Besides, I hear the volunteers are awesome.

And yes, I might be a little excited. Very Happy
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri May 01, 2015 3:22 pm

Low HR Run: 90 minutes - two days post blood donation

Weather: Sunny, mild. 58-62 degrees. Gear: Lunas, shorts, T. Fuel: Yogurt/cereal and coffee before; only water during

I donated blood two days ago, so I had no expectations for today's run. I know I'm down lots of red blood cells (millions?), which tends to impair performance, so I knew I'd be slow and that I might fatigue faster. I decided to let my HR float in the range between "ideal fat burning" (130) and "run all day" (135), trying to stay on the low side. If I crept above 135, I'd slow until it fell. I only had to actually walk the HR down on the ravine, which is no surprise.

The run was actually quite nice. I relaxed, enjoyed the scenery, sunshine and cool breeze and remained unconcerned with pace. I noted my splits with only passing interest. (Kind of liberating.) Best of all, I didn't fatigue like I'd thought I might. Let's hear it for pacing!

Walked first and last 5 minutes. Average HR for entire run: 129
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sun May 03, 2015 11:14 pm

No running today (just didn't get around to it), but I did get a heck of a workout in the yard.

First off, I hacked and dug to remove the stump from a tree that had died a couple of years back. I'd sawed it down to about 6 inches above the dirt, but it was looking pretty unsightly and we wanted to do something there. So, hacking, digging, etc. A neighbor showed up with a pick, which helped matters a bit.

Second, once the stump was clear, was moving one of our landscaping boulders from its spot a few feet away to the spot vacated by the tree stump. It saves us having to plant something there. Smile

I'm not kidding when I use the term "boulder" - it was maybe 31x27 inches wide, 22 inches tall and weighed goodness knows how many hundred of pounds. It was basalt, so suffice it to say, it not a quick and easy job. Luckily, we had some metal tubing strong enough to be used as levers. It took a while, but I got it moving a bit. Then it was a slow and tiring process of wrestling it up a fraction of an inch each time. A different neighbor came by after an hour or so and pitched in, which helped lot. Alita tried putting her entire weight on one of the levers -- and it didn't budge.

Yipes! I just found this chart from a boulder distributor, and this is what they said basalt boulders weigh.

Building A Better Bumblebee - Page 8 Screen18

For real? My quick measurement says it should be a #4, but I'm having a hard time believing it was that heavy. Still. Wow. That says a lot for the effectiveness of a lever. Sheesh.

We finally got it moved, and it looks nice in its new home. Whew! I'd hate to have to move it again.

I got a heck of a core and upper body workout. I don't have very strong arms, so it was mostly legs and core doing the job. My arms do feel pretty noodley, and my pecs feel fatigued, which is an odd sensation.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon May 04, 2015 2:17 pm

Low HR Run: 2 miles

Weather: Mostly cloudy, mild, breezy. 54 degrees. Gear: Lunas, shorts, T. Fuel: Yogurt and Grape Nuts for breakfast (MAJOR MISTAKE), nuun in handheld.

Ooof. I didn't make it out to run yesterday, so I channeled my excess energy into yardwork. That meant hacking/digging out a stump from a tree I'd cut down a few years back, and then wrestling a very heavy boulder (~500+ lbs?) into its place. A total body workout.

Monday is the day I normally go long, or head to the hills, but I had a feeling (several, actually) that I'd be pushing my luck if I pushed it too hard. So I decided to head out and just see what happened. It didn't take long to see that I put more strain on my body yesterday than I'd thought. My HR was jumping all over the place -- more than I could attribute to donating blood last week -- and I was fatigued from the get-go. So, I popped a U-turn about a mile out, headed home... and mowed the lawn.

I kept the HR monitor on during that time, and after, and was surprised to see how jumpy it is. Yep. Discretion was the better choice.

Walked first and last 5ish minutes. Average HR on entire run: 117

Note on the "fuel." I've sworn of Grape Nuts now. They've tended to give me tummy trouble from time to time, but I tried them out again this morning and quickly regretted it. The box is now in the trash. Too bad. They were a great source of energy on long runs; too bad they rip my guts up.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon May 04, 2015 8:27 pm

Wait did I read this right?   Not only did you forgo a run to spend the day doing an awesome strength training workout in the yard but the next day you cut your run short to hurry back and mow the lawn.  I've learned to expect just about anything on your blog but this has to take the cake!

I spent Sunday sitting on the patio watching two of my granddaughters mow the lawn and prune my roses...and boy did I wish I could help!
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Mon May 04, 2015 9:30 pm

Do you have other problems with wheat? I've been off gluten for 2 yrs and feel a lot better for it.

Silly cat. Mine barfed on the sheets last Friday, does that count? Smile
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon May 04, 2015 11:15 pm

nkrichards wrote:Wait did I read this right?   Not only did you forgo a run to spend the day doing an awesome strength training workout in the yard but the next day you cut your run short to hurry back and mow the lawn.  I've learned to expect just about anything on your blog but this has to take the cake!

I spent Sunday sitting on the patio watching two of my granddaughters mow the lawn and prune my roses...and boy did I wish I could help!

Well, it's fun to keep y'all guessing... Very Happy

In full disclosure, I've been in living rooms larger than our lawn, so it wasn't that huge an effort. It was a human-powered (push) mower, though, so I needed to get out there and do it before the grass got too long. Sheesh, and it's drying out so much that I may need to turn on the sprinkler system early this year.

Glad you were able to supervise the work at your place.

Julie wrote:Do  you  have  other problems  with wheat? I've been  off gluten for  2 yrs and  feel a lot  better  for  it.

Silly cat. Mine barfed on the  sheets last Friday, does that  count? Smile

Hey, Julie! Barfing definitely counts. Fluff does that a lot, too. He tends to chow down with great gusto, regurgitate it onto the floor, then look hurt when we clean it up before he can eat it again.

I've wondered about wheat, but the problems I've had have always been acid indigestion, rather than the intestinal problems that seem to accompany problems with wheat/gluten. Grape Nuts are particularly harsh, though. I've enjoyed them before because they're a great source of slow-burning complex carbohydrates... if you can get past the gut bomb effect. Neutral

Oh, and an update. It seems that I've come down with a cold! That's probably another reason my body wasn't into running today. Other symptoms have kicked in as the day has progressed. Fun! Not. (Now, I could never tell if I had body aches, because, well.. you know. Boulder moving and all. Talk about great timing!)
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Tue May 05, 2015 2:36 pm

How old is Fluff? Do you all really love him? He sounds like a tough one! Mine throw up hair balls. mostly. We have two and they're brothers.

I have taken tums before runs before and that has helped me if it's acid. No onions and tomatoes before a long run. Not like I tried that  a year ago.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Tue May 05, 2015 2:53 pm

My dog will toss her cookies once in a while, does that count.  Anyway after reading the description of that race (Oregon Coast 50K), I could almost be coerced to run it one day.  I did say coerced, not run out an sign up coerced though.  Sounds beautiful and even runnable (except for the sand) for a non- trail runner like I who only runs on bridle trains or hard packed(but not too technical) trails.  I'm not limber enough anymore to jump over roots and such and here there is always the issue of what is hiding below those leaves.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue May 05, 2015 3:56 pm

Julie wrote:How old is Fluff? Do you all really love him? He sounds like a tough one! Mine throw up hair balls. mostly. We have two and they're brothers.

I have taken tums before runs before and that has helped me if it's acid. No onions and tomatoes before a long run. Not like I tried that  a year ago.

I think Fluff turns three this summer. Yes, we love him. He's quite the character. He'll do summersaults of joy on the floor when we come in from the garage (even if we just took out the trash, sometimes), attack walls with no warning, and go up on his hind legs to push on us with his front paws when we're not giving him sufficient attention. Imagine his surprise when he did that on the inside of my legs while I was standing up using the toilet...  Shocked

And his fur? Oh my goodness. It is everywhere. So happy that Alec's band clothes are a black sateen fabric.

Antacids don't generally sit well on my stomach, so it's usually best if I wait a while after eating before going on a run. I can get away with oatmeal sometimes, and I even did carrots for a time, but it's never ideal.

I'm purposefully ignoring the possibility that my troubles aren't because of the food I eat, but coffee I drink.

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:My dog will toss her cookies once in a while, does that count.  Anyway after reading the description of that race (Oregon Coast 50K), I could almost be coerced to run it one day.  I did say coerced, not run out an sign up coerced though.  Sounds beautiful and even runnable (except for the sand) for a non- trail runner like I who only runs on bridle trains or hard packed(but not too technical) trails.  I'm not limber enough anymore to jump over roots and such and here there is always the issue of what is hiding below those leaves.

Yes, your barfing dog counts, Michele. Definitely wins on volume grounds.

I think a little  coercion would do you good. Running on the sand is the easiest part: There's plenty of hard-packed wet sand that makes a great surface. You wouldn't run in the dry stuff. That'd be nuts.

Still, the beach course does go through several streams, so a change of footwear at the 7-mile mark is probably warranted. Because there's no way your feet aren't going to get wet.

Building A Better Bumblebee - Page 8 Screen14
(Glenn Tachiyama photo)

Me, I'm probably going to do the beach in sandals (or barefoot) and toss something on for the roots, rocks and muddy spots later. Unless I really lose my mind. Then all bets are off. Smile

Note: The 30K version of the race doesn't have the beach section in it.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 40 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 24 ... 40  Next