365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mulligan...

+3
KBFitz
Tim C
Michele "1L" Keane
7 posters

Page 6 of 18 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 12 ... 18  Next

Go down

Mulligan... - Page 6 Empty Re: Mulligan...

Post  Tim C Wed May 10, 2017 11:34 pm

Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:Your legs should love you for taking them along to Alaska for rest.  Rest is part of training.  Do what your mother tells you to do, now.

So, what does rhubarb taste like?

Mark's tussle with a bear reminds me of a little girl who got bit on the leg by an 8' gator, this week.  She remembered her training from Gatorland, south of Orlando, on what to do.  While the gator chomped on her leg, she stuck two fingers in each of the gator's nostrils.  The lack of air caused the gator to open its mouth and she pulled her leg out.

Miche1e might've seen the story on TV, like I did.

So Mark, why don't you test that theory with a bear!

Where we're running this weekend, we're more likely to encounter a mountain lion. I think I'd rather tangle with the gator.

I don't want to mess with either but years ago I spent a lot of time in Florida as a water-ski instructor...  I do NOT want to spend any time in lakes with gators again.  They are seriously bad-ass.  The week I got there they pulled a 16' gator out of the lake we were training in...
Tim C
Tim C
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu May 11, 2017 9:25 am

Tim C wrote:
Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:Your legs should love you for taking them along to Alaska for rest.  Rest is part of training.  Do what your mother tells you to do, now.

So, what does rhubarb taste like?

Mark's tussle with a bear reminds me of a little girl who got bit on the leg by an 8' gator, this week.  She remembered her training from Gatorland, south of Orlando, on what to do.  While the gator chomped on her leg, she stuck two fingers in each of the gator's nostrils.  The lack of air caused the gator to open its mouth and she pulled her leg out.

Miche1e might've seen the story on TV, like I did.

So Mark, why don't you test that theory with a bear!

Where we're running this weekend, we're more likely to encounter a mountain lion. I think I'd rather tangle with the gator.

I don't want to mess with either but years ago I spent a lot of time in Florida as a water-ski instructor...  I do NOT want to spend any time in lakes with gators again.  They are seriously bad-ass.  The week I got there they pulled a 16' gator out of the lake we were training in...

I've done a couple pretty awesome trips with my Mom. 

We went up to Churchill to see the polar bears a few years ago.  My sister-in-law went with us and the big joke was that we didn't have to run faster than the polar bear...just faster than my sister-in-law. 

The last big trip I did with my mom was to Knight Inlet to see the Grizzly bears during the salmon run.  It was awesome.  They put us in a raised viewing area and there were bears all around us grabbing fish and rattling the gate to our enclosure when they got bored.  We went on a hike with a guide one day and needed to relieve ourselves.  Her instructions were to go around the other side of a pile of rocks but to make sure she could see our head.  The next day our guide told us..."Go where ever you want.  I can't do anything if a bear comes anyway."  Ha.

I expect this trip to be pretty tame.  Mom is older and much less mobile.  She already said that she plans to skip any excursions that are difficult.  She'll just stay onboard and enjoy the views.  Not sure what our chances of seeing bears is.  I'm hoping we catch up with whales.

I'm not packed!

Doug...rhubarb has a distinct flavor and is quite tart.  Unfortunately cooking usually requires large amounts of sugar.  I have a recipe for a rhubarb meringue pie that my Mother-in-law gave me when I got married.  It's one of Marty's favorites so I always make it a couple times in the spring.  If possible I try to share with family so Marty and I don't have to eat the whole pie!

And...I did post puppy pictures.  They are up there somewhere.  If I have time I'll go back and copy them forward.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Thu May 11, 2017 11:35 am

Rhubarb is good - and as Nancy said tart but really good "stewed" with a bit of sugar.  Just don't eat the leaves!

And Nancy, my daughter is getting a puppy so I guess I'll have those pictures to share soon too.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu May 11, 2017 7:12 pm

nkrichards wrote:Mulligan... - Page 6 Skeete11
Mulligan... - Page 6 Skeete10

I'm not sure I did this the way Mark taught me...but I think this will work.  Introducing Skeeter...and Owen & Royce.  I have no plans to run with Skeeter.  He's a farm dog!  His job is to hang out on the farm and bark when people show up...especially at night when they are uninvited and lurking around the fuel tank.  He is also supposed to keep the deer and raccoons out of the garden.  Two important lessons at this point are (1) the boundaries of the farm where he's supposed to stay...so I don't want to take him outside those boundaries.  And (2) he needs to bond with Marty so we're trying to make sure Marty is the main caregiver and companion.  But we all take turns giving him a bit of attention.

I moved the puppy photos forward.  He's grown a ton since I posted these.  I'll post a more recent one when I get home.  And we've changed his name.  I realized that Marty was calling him Augie Doggie more often than he was calling him Skeeter so we officially changed it.  He's learning to ride on the ATV and "help" Marty change water.  He's sleeping in the hay shed now.  He does not like thunder.  He's bonding with Marty quite well.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue May 16, 2017 4:16 pm

Thanks for the photos.  A very cute dog.  Border Collies are insatiable workers, runners, chasers, and learners (both good and bad).  He'll be a good grandchild occupier.

I hope you get a photo with a bear!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed May 17, 2017 9:57 am

Cute puppy! (The kids are all right, too.)

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed May 17, 2017 10:37 am

Mark B wrote:Cute puppy! (The kids are all right, too.)
Yeah and it looks like only one of the three is housebroke.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue May 23, 2017 10:58 pm

Well I made it home...very late on Sunday night and I've been on the go ever since. I guess it's nice to know I was missed and needed but I'm tired!

I'll give more details tomorrow but I wanted to let you know that I didn't get eaten by a bear or swallowed by a whale.  I did go kayaking, bushwacking, took the polar bear plunge and had an absolutely fantastic trip with Mom.

More details tomorrow but sleep is more important right now so that's where I'm headed...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed May 24, 2017 6:31 pm

nkrichards wrote:Well I made it home...very late on Sunday night and I've been on the go ever since. I guess it's nice to know I was missed and needed but I'm tired!

I'll give more details tomorrow but I wanted to let you know that I didn't get eaten by a bear or swallowed by a whale.  I did go kayaking, bushwacking, took the polar bear plunge and had an absolutely fantastic trip with Mom.

More details tomorrow but sleep is more important right now so that's where I'm headed...
That poor, poor bush that you whacked.  Looks like a vacation report should be full of fun stuff!

Glad you're back!  Start your sleep recovery program.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu May 25, 2017 10:17 pm

Mulligan... - Page 6 Glacie11
OK...I know there is a way to flip this right side up but...grrr...

Anyway this is my favorite photo from the trip.  We're in the skiff in Endicott Fjord at the foot of Dawes (Youngs) glacier.  This was on the last full day of the trip.  It was awesome!

So here's the rundown. 

Saturday.  Woke up to a text informing me that my flight to Portland was cancelled.  Called my brother and jumped in the car.  Two hour drive to Mom's house and my brother took both of us to the Portland airport.  Slight delay on the Seattle flight which created a tight connection for Mom but she made it.  She's lost a lot more mobility than I realized.  I'm glad we did this sooner rather than later.  Took a cab to our hotel in Juneau.  They messed up our reservation and we got a crappy room but it worked.  I was beginning to wonder how this trip was going to go.  It was overcast a drizzling but we rode the gondola and enjoyed King crab for dinner before calling it a night.

Sunday.  Weather wasn't good.  We dropped our luggage and went to check on our scheduled float plane ride over the glaciers.  We were early and the pilot was there and the weather broke.  Off we went.  It was amazing!  The weather came in even worse after our return.  I popped into a nearby hotel and asked the concierge if he could recommend a city tour including Mendenhall Glacier or something that would work for the afternoon in the rain.  He got us on a tour 10 minutes later.  We boarded Safari Endeavor that evening.  We found Orca before bedtime!  Things were looking up.

Monday. Yoga and 20 minutes on the eclipse before breakfast.  We spent the day motoring in Glacier Bay.  In addition to the glaciers we saw sea lions, Orca, sea otter, Harbor dolphin, puffin, oyster catchers, lots of eagles and tons of other birds that I don't remember the names of.  Also saw a goat on shore...and a couple grizzly bears.

Tuesday.  Yoga.  We were anchored near the Glacier Bay NP visitor center.  We all got off the boat for a hike (skiffs to shore).  I opted for the "Go Getter Hike"  Mom opted for the stroll.  I kayaked in the afternoon.  Lots more wildlife including humpback whales in the distance.

Wednesday. Freshwater Bay...Chichagof Island.  Yoga was interrupted by a black bear sighting.  Bushwacking...hiking with no trails...in the morning.  Kayaking in very strong wind in the afternoon.  I was pooped.  Mom took a skiff ride and had a quiet afternoon.  We both had our complimentary massages that day.

Thursday. Keku Islands.  Yoga.  Morning skiff tour with Mom.  We tasted Bull Kelp.  Afternoon was spent motoring through Ferguson Sound in search of Humpback Whales.  Very successful!!!!

Friday.  Robert & Crow Islands.  Yoga.  I signed up for a full day paddle and was a bit apprehensive when I realized that the youngest, fittest couple on board and one other single were the only ones who signed up.  It turned out to be my favorite day of the trip.  We spent 2 1/2 -3 hours paddling at a very relaxed rated and then pulled up for lunch.  After walking for an hour or so in the woods we sat down on some rocks to enjoy the lunch packed for us.  Wraps, a banana, and a cookie.  And then our guide pulled out the bottle of wine she had stowed in her kayak.  We all had a good laugh and a very pleasant paddle back to the ship.  My kayak partner and I got along famously!  We rounded the point and realized that the polar bear plunge had started!  We paddled furiously and got there just in time to strip off our outer layer and in I we went!

Saturday.  Yoga.  The last full day on board was spent motoring into Endicott Fjord.  Once we arrived at the foot of Dawe's Glacier...which the guides preferred to call Young's Glacier we boarded the skiffs to get a closer look.  We were surrounded by icebergs of various sizes.  I can't begin to explain how amazing it was...and to share it with Mom was pretty special.  Our guide...yes the same one as I had for the full day paddle...pulled out the hot cocoa and peppermint schnapps and we all toasted the glacier and our trip.  Then she pulled in a small iceberg and we took turns holding the iceberg as she poured a mouthful of schnapps down the side and into our mouth.  Mom wouldn't try but we all had a good laugh when the lady that was 83 who had also passed said "I guess you only live once.  Let me try."  It was starting to rain and we got a bit wet and cold before we made it back onto the ship but warm showers awaited us.  We had dinner with the captain and then enjoyed a slide show that the guides put together for us with pictures they had taken of us during the week.

Sunday.  We woke up to another Orca sighting and then disembarked after breakfast.  The flights home were uneventful. 

I would highly recommend UnCruise.  We were on Safari Endeavour (capacity 84 but there were only 76 passengers on board).  Our itinerary was called Exploring Muir's Wilderness.  The food, staff, accommodation, and equipment were all excellent.  Other than the rain in Juneau and on the last afternoon we had absolutely fabulous weather.

I expected to come home rested, relaxed and ready to jump right back into training.  Not the case!  We'll get into that and training tomorrow.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri May 26, 2017 5:53 pm

That read like y'all really had a good time!  What were the temps up there?  

I guess you'll post the other shoe that drops, tomorrow.  Great so far!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri May 26, 2017 11:05 pm

ounce wrote:That read like y'all really had a good time!  What were the temps up there?  

I guess you'll post the other shoe that drops, tomorrow.  Great so far!

I did have a really good time!  Not sure what the temps were...no internet...and when we asked the guides about the weather forecast they wouldn't share.  It was a conspiracy to make sure we were disconnected for the week!  I will say that we had fantastic weather but with the wind and the water I was wearing a couple layers more often than not.  I didn't dig out my thermals but I did wear a windbreaker/rain jacket over my fleece when I was outside.  The day this photo was taken was the coldest day by far.

Mulligan... - Page 6 Glacie12

I figured out how to flip the picture!

OK...training...  Did I mention that I came home absolutely exhausted?  And my RHR was soaring. 

I had planned to go for a run in Juneau Saturday afternoon and/or Sunday morning but decided that I wasn't comfortable leaving Mom alone so we did things she could do with me.  I mentioned that I did yoga every morning during the cruise.  It was really nice.  Mostly stretching.  We did it on the deck breathing in the fresh sea air and enjoying the view.  Great way to start the morning.  I did spend a few minutes on the elliptical the first morning but was to tired after that.  Kayaking and bushwacking are both hard work...and so was lugging both my luggage and Mom's luggage through the airports.  Did I mention that she has been getting less mobile...but not any less stubborn determined.  Would she use the elevator or ask for assistance...nope!  I thought I got my determination from my Dad but maybe not.  Lots of good cross training but no running.

Upon my return home...

The boys had cut all the alfalfa while I was gone so it was up at 4:30 to rake every morning.  I don't do well on short sleep!

Mon- Swim 2100 yds I only did 3/4ths of the main set as I didn't want to push my luck.
      - Bike 11.5 mi to/from pool.  Kept this easy.

Tues - Pilates
        - 3 mi @ 10:41 plus .25 walking cool down.  HR 137/154  I kept this as easy as I could as it was warm and I was nervous.

Wed - Swim 2450 yds.  Endurance workout.  I kept the pace/effort pretty easy.
        - Bike 11.5 mi to/from pool.  Also easy.
        ***I was seriously considering contacting Dr. B.  My RHR has been averaging 51 for the past couple months.  It was 61 and I had been feeling awful.  Then I realized that I was getting a scratchy throat.  I was catching a bug...not good but better than another unrecognized cardiac event!

Thur - Pilates and then rested the remainder of the day

Fri- Rest day

HR seems to be coming back down a bit...we'll see how things go.

Ultreya...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sat May 27, 2017 1:52 pm

What a great trip! I'm glad you and your mom were able to do it. I hope she enjoyed it as much as you did.

I wouldn't sweat the exhaustion and HR change. You did a lot, and it sounds like you've caught a bug. Just keep at it easy, and it'll be fine.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sat May 27, 2017 8:02 pm

Mark B wrote:What a great trip! I'm glad you and your mom were able to do it. I hope she enjoyed it as much as you did.

I wouldn't sweat the exhaustion and HR change. You did a lot, and it sounds like you've caught a bug. Just keep at it easy, and it'll be fine.

Thanks Mark.  I think Mom enjoyed it...on the flight home she said next time we should include Katie.  We've done a couple 3 generation trips that we all really enjoyed.  The fact that she is already talking about next time is a good sign. Smile

Up at 5:15 to get ready to bale and it was already 70 degrees when we finished up shortly after 10:00.

My plan was to head out and see how things felt.  The goal was to stop the loss of fitness free fall without compromising my recovery.  It went well all things considered.

5 mi @ 11:30 HR 153/170.  Not the HR I had hoped for but probably what I should have expected considering the fact that I started out 10 beats higher than normal and it was warm.  I kept the pace at an easy conversational pace and actually felt better after the run.

I'll continue to keep things at an easy effort for a few more days and hopefully my RHR will get back to normal...or at least closer.  Monday was the first high day (60).  Followed by 60,61, and then 59 on Thursday and Friday.  It's starting to trend in the right direction.

Ultreya...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sat May 27, 2017 9:11 pm

nkrichards wrote:
Mark B wrote:What a great trip! I'm glad you and your mom were able to do it. I hope she enjoyed it as much as you did.

Thanks Mark.  I think Mom enjoyed it...on the flight home she said next time we should include Katie.  We've done a couple 3 generation trips that we all really enjoyed.  The fact that she is already talking about next time is a good sign. Smile

Up at 5:15 to get ready to bale and it was already 70 degrees when we finished up shortly after 10:00.

My plan was to head out and see how things felt.  The goal was to stop the loss of fitness free fall without compromising my recovery.  It went well all things considered.

5 mi @ 11:30 HR 153/170.  Not the HR I had hoped for but probably what I should have expected considering the fact that I started out 10 beats higher than normal and it was warm.  I kept the pace at an easy conversational pace and actually felt better after the run.

I'll continue to keep things at an easy effort for a few more days and hopefully my RHR will get back to normal...or at least closer.  Monday was the first high day (60).  Followed by 60,61, and then 59 on Thursday and Friday.  It's starting to trend in the right direction.

Ultreya...
I figure some of the increased RHR is the early effects of the start of the trip and making sure activities were still going to occur.  Seemed like after the 2nd day things settled down into a routine, plus you were out of your routine.

I'd add at least two people, next time, if nothing else so they can drag the bags around. 

Things will settle down.  Break's over.  Get back to work.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sun May 28, 2017 10:15 pm

ounce wrote:
nkrichards wrote:

Ultreya...
I figure some of the increased RHR is the early effects of the start of the trip and making sure activities were still going to occur.  Seemed like after the 2nd day things settled down into a routine, plus you were out of your routine.

I'd add at least two people, next time, if nothing else so they can drag the bags around. 

Things will settle down.  Break's over.  Get back to work.
Helping Mom through the airport wasn't that big of a deal.  Stressful yes...but only for a short time and well worth the effort.

Not sure how much the trip affected my HR.  It may have contributed but I think that this bug and the stress from the farm are the biggest factors.  We increased our acreage this year and the new employee we brought on board isn't able to do what we had hoped.  We have a good crew of field workers and a couple good full-time guys but we needed someone for irrigation season that could accept more responsibility.  It's not happening.  AND Kevin's wife is due in less than a month...grandchild number 6.

The downward trend did not continue.  RHR popped back up to 62!  Had hoped to bike or run but thought it was best to take another rest day.  I'm not actually getting much rest...just doing farm work instead but I guess that's life.

Ultreya...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon May 29, 2017 7:39 am

Well, 1 day doesn't make a trend.  Do what you can, how you can, and let things shake out in the wash.  Bummer about the new employee, but those things happen. 

Is taking on new acreage a lease of the dirt or a purchase?  I'm not schooled on those kind of things.

Do the crops know it's Memorial Day?
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue May 30, 2017 2:45 pm

ounce wrote:Well, 1 day doesn't make a trend.  Do what you can, how you can, and let things shake out in the wash.  Bummer about the new employee, but those things happen. 

Is taking on new acreage a lease of the dirt or a purchase?  I'm not schooled on those kind of things.

Do the crops know it's Memorial Day?

RHR is down slightly.  59 yesterday.  58 this morning.  Not where I'd like it to be but better than 62!  Most of the symptoms of my bug are gone with just a slight snotty nose remaining.  And we finished up the baling (alfalfa) this morning so I'll have a bit of a reprieve until we cut the grass hay in a couple days.  The grass hay isn't quite as bad as we rake it in the afternoon and bale in the evenings.  The alfalfa has to be raked and baled with appropriate dew so it's usually early morning and unpredictable.

The new acreage is a one year lease for carrot seed.  They came through the winter well...we planted seed to seed so planted last August.  (Stecklings plant in April and both are harvested in September.)  Looks like financially it was a good choice although a lot could happen between now and harvest.  We thought we had organized adequate labor for the increased acreage but maybe not...

The crops do not take holidays.  We start irrigating in early/mid-April and continue through mid-October.  It's pretty much twice a day 7 days a week during that time.  Occasionally we can squeeze in at least part of a day off but if we plan anything it usually gets hot/dry.  We've learned not to schedule anything during irrigation season.  It's a hard life but one I wouldn't trade for a 9 to 5 job.

FYI...the difference between a jet engine and a farmer is the jet engine stops whining when it lands in Hawaii. Razz

Sweet corn is up. cheers

Got a nice 10 mile run in yesterday.  Slow and it was hot but it went well.  I did my normal 5 mile loop and took some additional time to walk and make sure I was well hydrated and fueled before starting the second loop.  I was mentally prepared to stop earlier if needed.  All things considered it was a good run and I was no worse for the wear afterwards.

Ultreya...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed May 31, 2017 10:29 pm

I looked up 'specklings' and I didn't think they would be, what I consider to be full grown.  Are y'alls carrots shipped to grocery stores or some other purpose?
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:18 am

ounce wrote:I looked up 'specklings' and I didn't think they would be, what I consider to be full grown.  Are y'alls carrots shipped to grocery stores or some other purpose?

www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/steckling

Is this the definition you found Doug? 

We don't grow any carrots for sale to consumers.  We only grow seed for other farmers to plant to raise carrots for human consumption.  We grow carrot seed in two different ways.  We sometimes plant carrot seeds (male & female) in August and they are in the ground for 13 months.  The seed is ready to harvest in September.  If the variety can't survive our harsh winters or the seed companies want more time to decide their need then we plant stecklings.  The seed is planted in California or Arizona.  The carrot plant is then dug up in late winter/early spring.  The green top is removed and the orange carrot is placed in totes and put in cold storage.  Once the carrot thinks it has experienced a winter (necessary so that it knows to produce seed) it is removed from storage and shipped to us.  We then place the individual carrots (male and female) into the fields.  The carrots are manually pushed into the ground every 6-8".  We plant in April.  We have a "planter" that cuts the row for the carrots and has a bin to hold carrots.  There are 8 seats on the planter...4 facing forward and 4 backward.  (We plant 4 rows at a time.)  The carrots come out of a slot at the bottom of the bin where the workers grab them and place them in the ground.  4 more people walk behind to fill in missing carrots and pick up any that are dropped.  At the end of each row we refill the bin, the workers change positions and we start on the next pass.  The steckling carrots catch up with the seed to seed carrots and are also harvested in September.  It is a very labor intensive but more reliable way to grow seed.

The seed to seed and steckling carrots are all in the ground and up and growing now.  We've installed drip tape beside each row of carrots and are in the process of hooking everything up and getting the drip system going.  It's quit complicated and also pretty labor intensive but it saves water, reduces weeds (and herbicide use), and reduces disease problems.  The drip system is designed for each field based on topography and used for the carrot seed production and then removed.  We are able to reuse the valves and layflat (temporary rubber hoses that deliver the water from the sand filter to the drip lines) but the drip tape is sent off to be recycled after harvest.  It's a good system for us...once again labor intensive to get set up and maintain (the gophers like to chew on the drip tape).  We're able to apply nutrients through the drip tape so that it is going directly to each row of carrots and apply water in a much more efficient manner.

I'll try and take a couple photos in a week or so when things are up and going.

HR is down a bit this morning.  I don't want to get to excited but it is a good sign.  I still have a few symptoms from the cold but I'm able to exercise comfortably.

Tues - Bike 22.6 miles to/from haircut.  An easy day of biking and an efficient use of my time.

Wed - Swim 2250 yds  Moderate effort
       - Bike 11.5 miles to/from pool.  easy effort

Ultreya...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:05 am

Thanks for the great description of how you go about growing carrot seed. We saw them in the field last year, but I hadn't realized how involved the planting was. Very interesting!

Not surprised the RHR is falling again. Your body is getting back to its routine. It's okay to be a little excited. Very Happy

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:11 pm

nkrichards wrote:
ounce wrote:I looked up 'specklings' and I didn't think they would be, what I consider to be full grown.  Are y'alls carrots shipped to grocery stores or some other purpose?

www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/steckling

Is this the definition you found Doug? 

We don't grow any carrots for sale to consumers.  We only grow seed for other farmers to plant to raise carrots for human consumption.  We grow carrot seed in two different ways.  We sometimes plant carrot seeds (male & female) in August and they are in the ground for 13 months.  The seed is ready to harvest in September.  If the variety can't survive our harsh winters or the seed companies want more time to decide their need then we plant stecklings.  The seed is planted in California or Arizona.  The carrot plant is then dug up in late winter/early spring.  The green top is removed and the orange carrot is placed in totes and put in cold storage.  Once the carrot thinks it has experienced a winter (necessary so that it knows to produce seed) it is removed from storage and shipped to us.  We then place the individual carrots (male and female) into the fields.  The carrots are manually pushed into the ground every 6-8".  We plant in April.  We have a "planter" that cuts the row for the carrots and has a bin to hold carrots.  There are 8 seats on the planter...4 facing forward and 4 backward.  (We plant 4 rows at a time.)  The carrots come out of a slot at the bottom of the bin where the workers grab them and place them in the ground.  4 more people walk behind to fill in missing carrots and pick up any that are dropped.  At the end of each row we refill the bin, the workers change positions and we start on the next pass.  The steckling carrots catch up with the seed to seed carrots and are also harvested in September.  It is a very labor intensive but more reliable way to grow seed.

The seed to seed and steckling carrots are all in the ground and up and growing now.  We've installed drip tape beside each row of carrots and are in the process of hooking everything up and getting the drip system going.  It's quit complicated and also pretty labor intensive but it saves water, reduces weeds (and herbicide use), and reduces disease problems.  The drip system is designed for each field based on topography and used for the carrot seed production and then removed.  We are able to reuse the valves and layflat (temporary rubber hoses that deliver the water from the sand filter to the drip lines) but the drip tape is sent off to be recycled after harvest.  It's a good system for us...once again labor intensive to get set up and maintain (the gophers like to chew on the drip tape).  We're able to apply nutrients through the drip tape so that it is going directly to each row of carrots and apply water in a much more efficient manner.

I'll try and take a couple photos in a week or so when things are up and going.

HR is down a bit this morning.  I don't want to get to excited but it is a good sign.  I still have a few symptoms from the cold but I'm able to exercise comfortably.

Tues - Bike 22.6 miles to/from haircut.  An easy day of biking and an efficient use of my time.

Wed - Swim 2250 yds  Moderate effort
       - Bike 11.5 miles to/from pool.  easy effort

Ultreya...
Actually, it was this link:  http://www.bcseeds.org/preparing-and-planting-carrot-stecklings-for-seed-production/

That's really interesting.  I didn't play the video, but I was curious about whether a drip method of irrigation was used, and y'all do drip.  Thanks for the explanation.

Has the dog tried to chase or catch the gophers or is he looking for something to herd?
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:13 am

I'll try and get some carrot photos up in a few days.  No...we don't encourage Augie Doggie to chase the gophers.  He would do more damage than good.  We trap them. 

Thurs - Pilates
         - 7.25 w/5 @ 9:48  HR 162/178  The goal was to try and see how some MP miles felt.  I had trouble dialing in MP...this was a bit faster than necessary but not excessively so.  HR was kind of high but it actually felt pretty good.

Fri - Swim 2300 yds  Struggled to maintain pace today...maybe yesterday's run took more effort than I realized.
     - Bike 11.5 to/from pool  Easy effort

Sat - 12 @ 11:22  HR 148/163  Wasn't able to get started till 9:00 and it was already getting warm so I tried to keep the pace appropriate.  Pretty happy with that HR considering the distance and the temperature.  AND I felt pretty good afterwards.

Kevin is out of town for a couple days so I've been helping with water...lots of walking through tall crop.  I spent a lot of time in the yard/garden after my run yesterday.  I felt surprisingly good but I did get a bit to much sun...and pollen.  Rest day today which means that I'll be catching up on yard/garden/house chores and then attending a family BBQ this afternoon before helping with irrigation water this evening. RHR is still a tad high and more variable than normal but it's looking better.  I'm realizing how much stress affects my HR. 

Ultreya...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:28 pm

nkrichards wrote:Rest day today which means that I'll be catching up on yard/garden/house chores and then attending a family BBQ this afternoon before helping with irrigation water this evening.

You call this a "rest day"? Yipes! I think one of your "busy" days would be more than most people could handle!

I think your RHR is going to be a good barometer of your systemic stress. You may want to chart it and compare it against the calendar and see what sort of life stresses affect you more than others. There may be something in there that'll be helpful.

Of course, if you've got allergies, your whole system has got to be stimulated right now, anyway. We lucked out on tree pollens this year because of all the rain, but all that rain means the grasses and ragweed pollens are going to be high. I've been hearing a lot of sneezing around these parts lately.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:43 pm

Mark B wrote:
nkrichards wrote:Rest day today which means that I'll be catching up on yard/garden/house chores and then attending a family BBQ this afternoon before helping with irrigation water this evening.

You call this a "rest day"? Yipes! I think one of your "busy" days would be more than most people could handle!

I think your RHR is going to be a good barometer of your systemic stress. You may want to chart it and compare it against the calendar and see what sort of life stresses affect you more than others. There may be something in there that'll be helpful.

Of course, if you've got allergies, your whole system has got to be stimulated right now, anyway. We lucked out on tree pollens this year because of all the rain, but all that rain means the grasses and ragweed pollens are going to be high. I've been hearing a lot of sneezing around these parts lately.

Well it must have worked Mark.  MY RHR was under 50 for the first time in weeks.  I don't expect it to stay under 50 but it was still nice to see.  I am tracking my RHR.  I note it on the side of my training log along with comments about things other than training that could be affecting it.  It's interesting to say the least.  I'm learning.

I don't actually have what I would call allergies but any time you walk around in the fields and can see the pollen in the air and covering your clothes on your return to the house it has to have some affect.  This to shall pass.

Today was a swim/bike day.  Rode 11.5 miles to/from the pool at an easy pace.  Our swim workout was 2400 yds.  I really struggled last Friday but today I was able to maintain the paces I expected with the expected amount of effort. 

We're trying to beat the weather (rain) that's predicted for Thursday.  We're going to start baling grass hay this evening and if all goes as planned it will all be stacked in the barn by late Wednesday.  Training my be slightly adjusted for the next couple days.

Ultreya...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 18 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 12 ... 18  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum