365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Movie review thread

Go down

Movie review thread

Post  ounce on Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:23 am

Yeah, this is something different.  I see a lot of movies.  So, I thought that I would put my $0.02 in on what I see.  My opinion is just that.  Mine.  Let's see what y'all have to say and of course, if y'all have seen a movie, by ALL means, put your $0.02 in, too.

"Interstellar", PG-13 for language mostly, and 2 hours, 49 minutes.  Yes, almost 3 hours.
You pretty much have to like space movies a lot to be able to get through this movie.  Just oogling over Matthew McConaughey won't be enough.  The movie has quite a number of twists, mostly in the last half hour that makes the movie quite unique.  I don't think it's worth the money to see it in 3D or on an IMAX screen.  Does it drag?  Only if you don't like space movies.

---
If you like war movies "Fury", rated R for language and war-related violence, 2 hours 14 minutes, starring Brad Pitt, is good.  It's a tank movie and it looks like they used real tanks vs CGI tanks.
avatar
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Posts : 5010
Points : 13983
Join date : 2011-06-26
Age : 61
Location : houston

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Movie review thread

Post  ounce on Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:24 am

"Big Hero 6", rated PG, 1 hour and 48 minutes.  This is a Disney animation about a group of creators trying to find out why the youngest creator's brother was killed.  It's a charming movie, intended for the single-digit audience, but entertaining enough for the parental units.  It was released on November 7 and still is #3 at the box office, last weekend.  It garnered an 89% on Rottentomatoes.com

---
"John Wick", rated R for violence and some cussing, 1 hour and 41 minutes, released October 24..  Keanu Reeves plays a hitman (John Wick)that comes out of retirement to right wrongs done by some gangsters.  Sounds like a ton of movies done before.  But this one is different and I enjoyed it.  There is lots of shooting and blood and Wick may shoot a guy 4 or 5 times, but being the hit man that he is always makes sure the person is dead.  There's some good, twisted humor in the movie, based on the thought that gangsters have scruples.  It has a 84% on rottentomatoes.com

While the movie is still in some theaters, it's a good shoot 'em up to see when it comes out on DVD.  If you're squeamish on blood, I'd steer away from it.  Or if the kids aren't old enough, the same recommendation.
avatar
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Posts : 5010
Points : 13983
Join date : 2011-06-26
Age : 61
Location : houston

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Movie review thread

Post  Jim Lentz on Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:27 pm

@ounce wrote:Yeah, this is something different.  I see a lot of movies.  So, I thought that I would put my $0.02 in on what I see.  My opinion is just that.  Mine.  Let's see what y'all have to say and of course, if y'all have seen a movie, by ALL means, put your $0.02 in, too.

"Interstellar", PG-13 for language mostly, and 2 hours, 49 minutes.  Yes, almost 3 hours.
You pretty much have to like space movies a lot to be able to get through this movie.  Just oogling over Matthew McConaughey won't be enough.  The movie has quite a number of twists, mostly in the last half hour that makes the movie quite unique.  I don't think it's worth the money to see it in 3D or on an IMAX screen.  Does it drag?  Only if you don't like space movies.

---
If you like war movies "Fury", rated R for language and war-related violence, 2 hours 14 minutes, starring Brad Pitt, is good.  It's a tank movie and it looks like they used real tanks vs CGI tanks.
I saw "Interstellar" and liked it. My wife found it confusing and didn't like it as much as I did.
avatar
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1171
Points : 4712
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 57
Location : Downers Grove

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Movie review thread

Post  Jim Lentz on Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:28 pm

@ounce wrote:"Big Hero 6", rated PG, 1 hour and 48 minutes.  This is a Disney animation about a group of creators trying to find out why the youngest creator's brother was killed.  It's a charming movie, intended for the single-digit audience, but entertaining enough for the parental units.  It was released on November 7 and still is #3 at the box office, last weekend.  It garnered an 89% on Rottentomatoes.com

---
"John Wick", rated R for violence and some cussing, 1 hour and 41 minutes, released October 24..  Keanu Reeves plays a hitman (John Wick)that comes out of retirement to right wrongs done by some gangsters.  Sounds like a ton of movies done before.  But this one is different and I enjoyed it.  There is lots of shooting and blood and Wick may shoot a guy 4 or 5 times, but being the hit man that he is always makes sure the person is dead.  There's some good, twisted humor in the movie, based on the thought that gangsters have scruples.  It has a 84% on rottentomatoes.com

While the movie is still in some theaters, it's a good shoot 'em up to see when it comes out on DVD.  If you're squeamish on blood, I'd steer away from it.  Or if the kids aren't old enough, the same recommendation.
"John Wick" was good and reminded me of "The Equalizer" which I liked enough to see twice. My friend went with me one of times and didn't really care for it
avatar
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1171
Points : 4712
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 57
Location : Downers Grove

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Movie review thread

Post  ounce on Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:59 pm

'Penguins of Madagascar", rated PG, 1 hour and 32 minutes.  This is another animated movie from Dreamworks (now 20 years old.  20 years old?).  Usually, animated movies are just mildly targeted to parents having to be in the theater for the single-digit crowd.  Not this movie.

While it is for kids, 90% of the dialog is for adults.  In fact, it's probably the cleanest, adult dialog animated movie that I ever remember seeing.  Is it a great movie?  No, but if you're getting your arm twisted to go and see this movie, whine along on the outside because you'll like the movie.

---

"Hunger Games:  Mockingjay Part 1"  PG-13, 2 hours and 4 minutes.  If you haven't seen the preceding two movies (I think it's two), you won't get the movie.  I'd recommend seeing the previously released movies.  If you have seen the prior movies, you'll like, but maybe not love, this movie.
avatar
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Posts : 5010
Points : 13983
Join date : 2011-06-26
Age : 61
Location : houston

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Movie review thread

Post  mountandog on Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:53 am

@ounce wrote:'Penguins of Madagascar", rated PG, 1 hour and 32 minutes.  This is another animated movie from Dreamworks (now 20 years old.  20 years old?).  Usually, animated movies are just mildly targeted to parents having to be in the theater for the single-digit crowd.  Not this movie.

While it is for kids, 90% of the dialog is for adults.  In fact, it's probably the cleanest, adult dialog animated movie that I ever remember seeing.  Is it a great movie?  No, but if you're getting your arm twisted to go and see this movie, whine along on the outside because you'll like the movie.

---

"Hunger Games:  Mockingjay Part 1"  PG-13, 2 hours and 4 minutes.  If you haven't seen the preceding two movies (I think it's two), you won't get the movie.  I'd recommend seeing the previously released movies.  If you have seen the prior movies, you'll like, but maybe not love, this movie.
looking forward to Mockingjay and Unbroken
avatar
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1394
Points : 5907
Join date : 2011-07-14
Age : 62
Location : Michigan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Movie review thread

Post  Mark B on Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:13 pm

Saw "The Hobbit: Battle of Five Armies" earlier this week, and my family of J.R.R. Tolkien purists enjoyed it much more than the second movie of the trilogy. It was quite enjoyable and close enough to the original story to not make use twitchy. The main battle sequence was overlong and a little hard to follow at times, but not the point of wrecking the movie. We saw it in 2-D and didn't miss the sense of getting orc blood in our face. Smile
avatar
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Posts : 7496
Points : 16502
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 55
Location : Vancouver, Wash.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Movie review thread

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum