365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Practice Race

+4
Nick Morris
Mark B
ounce
amyjoann
8 posters

Go down

Practice Race Empty Practice Race

Post  amyjoann Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:03 pm

I'm looking for good running karma sent my way Saturday.I'm running a 37 miler as a training run for my 50 in Sept. My training has gone great! I feel real good ,I'm just nervous Shocked . I really want it to go well so it will give me confidence for the big dance 50. It's 3 12.50 mile loops which is perfect because the 50 miler is 3, 16.75 loops. I'm really ready I just need to keep hearing that. I'm running with a group of 3 other people Norm is the leader, and has been helping me with the training. My only concern is the other two people haven't been training as much as I have and I know they are slower, I've ran with them a few times and they were lagging behind. We have a run 15 walk 5 min routine I am going to stick with I just want to run faster than I think they are capable of. 

If I go off on my own I could blow up and be alone and things could get real ugly. The safe bet is to stick with the pack.................but I want to see what I can do . I don't know I really don't trust myself I don't want to be the one lagging it could happen.
amyjoann
amyjoann
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Practice Race Empty Re: Practice Race

Post  ounce Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:26 pm

My karma merchant hasn't been by in quite a while, so I'll just have to wing this.

I don't see why it won't go well.  You've trained well for it and you just have to do your thing on this 37 mile run, as you would do for the race in September.  Have your pace in mind and run that pace, whether those other 2 are slower or faster, because when it's time to run the 50, you still have to run that 50 miles.  They can't run it for you.  You let them worry about them and you worry about you.

Use your watch to throttle you back, so you don't blow up.  If you feel like you must run with the pack, then run the first loop or two with them, then do the 3rd loop at your pace.  The energy that you'll save may carry you for the 3rd loop.

But I feel like you should run YOUR 37 miler.  You're capable, you're trained, and you're ready for it.  Go for it.  Be smart.  Have fun.

Ride
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:22 pm

Make sure you're well stocked on fuel, fluid and electrolytes -- and be willing to have a bailout plan if things start to go too badly -- and you should be fine. Pace yourself to be able to go all day long (don't get sucked into somebody else's pace), and prove to yourself you can do it. We already know you can. Smile
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:58 am

You're ready!! You're ready!! You're ready!! You're ready!! You're ready!! You're ready!! You're ready!!

You got this! You got this! You got this!
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:40 pm

You also have the advantage of this being loops. If you need to after any loop you can stop for fuel/fluids or whatever. You know you've trained well, so go out there and nail this!
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:20 pm

I only ran one "ultra" a 50K trail race that consisted of three loops.  I did just as Doug suggested and ran with two friends for the first two loops - we didn't have as smart a plan, just to run real easy, stop at the stops to drink, etc., and walk up every hill.  I felt great after the 2nd loop so I just ran the 3rd loop on my own since I was/am a bit faster at the marathon distance and I felt I was ready.  Our goal was to finish and our pact was to run together for he first two loops.  I suggest you might want to do the same; however, I know your training has gone well until now.  This is a "practice" race - so practice - EVERYTHING.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  mountandog Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:59 pm

I don't see why it won't go well.  You've trained well for it and you just have to do your thing on this 37 mile run, as you would do for the race in September.  Have your pace in mind and run that pace, whether those other 2 are slower or faster, because when it's time to run the 50, you still have to run that 50 miles.  They can't run it for you.  You let them worry about them and you worry about you.

But I feel like you should run YOUR 37 miler.  You're capable, you're trained, and you're ready for it.  Go for it.  Be smart.  Have fun.

Ride
You're ready!! I agree with ounce's advice.
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:08 pm

How did it go?
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  amyjoann Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:30 pm

Great advice from everyone, would have been better if I followed any of it. I didn't, I had a monumental blow up ! I bonked after 20 and walked the entire thing it was awful. But ............I learned a ton ! I had absolutely no sodium I was only taking honey gels randomly, my watch died after 6 miles and for some stupid stupid reason I never asked anyone about the time. I focused on all the wrong things like pace not nutrition like everyone told me.I only ate 1000 calories at the most all sugar and no sodium. I lost 7# after not good at all. I felt utterly defeated. My pacer wouldn't leave me although I begged him I said go go he said no no. Norm brought me by the book relentless forward progress which said everything He and everyone else had been telling me all along. Apparently I like to learn things the hard way.

I might made another mistake but I can't undo it now, it's done. The week after my failure I had a 25 miler on the schedule I ran it by myself, did my nutrition perfect ,ate and drank like a champ but I ran for 8 1/2 hours I did a 31 miler . I wanted to prove to myself I was better than my performance the previous weekend. It went great I felt great lost zero pounds after and literally felt like I could have done 50 right then and there. I really wanted too but it was getting real dark and I was by myself.

So the next day, Sunday I walked with my friend 4 1/2 miles I was sore, but I thouhgt I'm just walking it's ok. Took Monday off Tuesday I went out for a 6 miler, first 4 felt great ! Then the last two I had a shooting pain in my butt and right thigh it slowed me down considerably but I finished the 6. Then I got in the car and drove 4 hours to Iowa moved my kid in school and drove 4 hours back. I was in pain and knew things were bad. I took off Wednesday and Thursday. Had a 20 miler scheduled for Friday packed it in after 1/2 mile. I'm two weeks out from race I haven't run for 6 days,I'm still a little sore but I'm going to run a little tomorrow c Mad ause I'm going nuts!

I haven't missed one run this whole training schedule I've run more than I ever have ever. averaging 60-65 miles a week. I really hope this leg thing goes away I know I can do it . but Im
"m real nervous.........................
amyjoann
amyjoann
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:45 am

Ooooh...that doesn't sound good.  Take care of yourself ...hope the leg gets to feeling better.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:47 am

Worst case you have taken 3 weeks of rest before your 50 miler. Hopefully you can get a few shorter runs in before then and be completely healed. Now is not the time to be trying to make any fitness gains, but to get healthy for the start.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:11 pm

Jim Lentz wrote:Worst case you have taken 3 weeks of rest before your 50 miler. Hopefully you can get a few shorter runs in before then and be completely healed. Now is not the time to be trying to make any fitness gains, but to get healthy for the start.

Yeah, you're not going to lose a lot of fitness between now and the race.  Baby your thigh and your butt.  Get it looked at and get a few massages, but REST.

Just like a car's engine can't run without gas, oil and coolant, your body can't run without the right food, electrolytes and air. 

You can still salvage the 50, but it has to be your next 'long run.'  You can do it, but don't think your brain is smarter than your body.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down