365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Boston 2014

Go down

Boston 2014

Post  Seth Harrison on Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:11 am

As I had mentioned, I ran this year's Boston and covered it for my newspaper at the same time. It was a very different approach to running a marathon, and needless to say, I wasn't running for time (I'm slow as molasses these days anyway). It was an incredibly memorable day in Boston, and I'm so grateful that I had the opportunity to be back, after being two blocks past the finish line when the bombs went off last year.

Rather than write a race report, I'll share my coverage (story and video) with the link below. The only thing I'll add is that somehow I managed to run the entire course and didn't think about my knee once. Three days later the knee still feels fine. I'll chalk it up to less intensity during training, but really, who knows.
Also, it was great seeing everyone for a little while on Saturday, and riding the bus and hanging out in AV with Michele was fantastic.
Here's my coverage from the 118 Boston Marathon: 

http://www.lohud.com/story/news/local/2014/04/21/lohud-photographer-seth-harrisons-uplifting-journey-boston-marathon/7985209/
avatar
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Posts : 907
Points : 3748
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 57
Location : Irvington, NY

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Boston 2014

Post  Alex Kubacki on Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:27 am

Great report Seth. Congrats on getting it done. And that's awesome you didn't think about your knee. Looks like you prepared very well.  It was great meeting you on Saturday. Recover well.
avatar
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1252
Points : 4207
Join date : 2011-06-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Boston 2014

Post  Seth Harrison on Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:30 am

@Alex Kubacki wrote:Great report Seth. Congrats on getting it done. And that's awesome you didn't think about your knee. Looks like you prepared very well.  It was great meeting you on Saturday. Recover well.
It was great meeting you as well Alex! Hope you're recovering well.
avatar
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Posts : 907
Points : 3748
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 57
Location : Irvington, NY

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Boston 2014

Post  jon c on Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:39 am

I realize this is what you do, but that was a very well written article.  I believe that your story reflected the day to near perfection.  Thanks for that.

Plans for next year??
avatar
jon c
Regular
Regular

Posts : 507
Points : 3206
Join date : 2011-06-16
Age : 61
Location : Nebraska

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Boston 2014

Post  Mark B on Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:10 pm

Thanks for sharing your story and photos this way, Seth. It helped those of us on the other side of the continent get a feel for the day.

Congrats on the race, too. Well done.
avatar
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Posts : 7447
Points : 16281
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 54
Location : Vancouver, Wash.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Boston 2014

Post  Seth Harrison on Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:52 pm

@jon c wrote:I realize this is what you do, but that was a very well written article.  I believe that your story reflected the day to near perfection.  Thanks for that.

Plans for next year??
Jon, last year's Boston was supposed to be my last marathon. Based on how my knee handled this race, it's tempting for me to start looking for another BQ, but more than likely, I'll get back to triathlons. Thanks for the kind words on my story.
@Mark B wrote:Thanks for sharing your story and photos this way, Seth. It helped those of us on the other side of the continent get a feel for the day.

Congrats on the race, too. Well done.
Thanks Mark! It was a different, but fun, and very meaningful way to approach this year's Boston.
avatar
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Posts : 907
Points : 3748
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 57
Location : Irvington, NY

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Boston 2014

Post  Julie on Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:48 pm

Great report. I agree with Jon, you have a very good writing style. So glad your knee cooperated! That must have just made the day extra special.
avatar
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 2612
Points : 6544
Join date : 2011-06-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Boston 2014

Post  Seth Harrison on Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:36 am

@Julie wrote:Great report. I agree with Jon, you have a very good writing style. So glad your knee cooperated! That must have just made the day extra special.
 Thanks Julie! Not having to think about my knee was a great relief and an unexpected surprise. The more I think about it, I attribute it to backing off in intensity during training, and then not all pushing the pace during the marathon. It's a tough trade-off, because I don't like running 4 hour marathons, but for this Boston, it was more than worth it.
avatar
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Posts : 907
Points : 3748
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 57
Location : Irvington, NY

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Boston 2014

Post  mountandog on Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:33 am

good report Seth.  Nice to finsh finish with no knee issues.  Good to see you again.
avatar
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1394
Points : 5790
Join date : 2011-07-14
Age : 61
Location : Michigan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Boston 2014

Post  Jerry on Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:49 pm

So Seth kept this as a secret even at the pre-race meet?

Very cool!
avatar
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 2712
Points : 1004436
Join date : 2011-06-15
Location : Where I'm Loved

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Boston 2014

Post  Seth Harrison on Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:18 pm

@mountandog wrote:good report Seth.  Nice to finsh finish with no knee issues.  Good to see you again.
Thanks Michael. Good to see you also.
@Jerry wrote:So Seth kept this as a secret even at the pre-race meet?

Very cool!
Hey Jerry, I wasn't trying to keep it a secret...there were just plenty of better things to talk about when we all met.
avatar
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Posts : 907
Points : 3748
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 57
Location : Irvington, NY

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Boston 2014

Post  KBFitz on Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:29 am

Brilliant story Seth! Now I don't feel so bad that I wasn't there as I can go along, as it were, through your video and text. A tree made of running shoes. Now there's a kicker!

I seem to recall several runners reporting that the 'Shortcut' sign changed, but nobody says how it changed. Did you see it?
avatar
KBFitz
Regular
Regular

Posts : 760
Points : 6194
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 59
Location : Off-center

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Boston 2014

Post  Seth Harrison on Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:56 am

@KBFitz wrote:Brilliant story Seth! Now I don't feel so bad that I wasn't there as I can go along, as it were, through your video and text. A tree made of running shoes. Now there's a kicker!

I seem to recall several runners reporting that the 'Shortcut' sign changed, but nobody says how it changed. Did you see it?
Thanks Kevin. Yeah, I also heard that they changed the "shortcut" sign. I assume they moved it because I didn't see it.
avatar
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Posts : 907
Points : 3748
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 57
Location : Irvington, NY

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Boston 2014

Post  jon c on Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:55 pm

@Seth Harrison wrote:
@KBFitz wrote:Brilliant story Seth! Now I don't feel so bad that I wasn't there as I can go along, as it were, through your video and text. A tree made of running shoes. Now there's a kicker!

I seem to recall several runners reporting that the 'Shortcut' sign changed, but nobody says how it changed. Did you see it?
Thanks Kevin. Yeah, I also heard that they changed the "shortcut" sign. I assume they moved it because I didn't see it.

I think the sign used to be somewhere just after running by the lake.  I think it was down the road a ways further along from where it was in years past.  How far exactly, I don't recall.
avatar
jon c
Regular
Regular

Posts : 507
Points : 3206
Join date : 2011-06-16
Age : 61
Location : Nebraska

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Boston 2014

Post  nkrichards on Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:26 pm

Good to hear that your knee cooperated and you enjoyed Boston.  Hope to see you there next year if that's what you choose...if not...enjoy the triathlons.  They are a lot of fun!
avatar
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 2185
Points : 7571
Join date : 2011-07-27
Age : 60
Location : Sunny Central Oregon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Boston 2014

Post  Chris M on Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:57 pm

That was a great read.  Thanks, Seth. So glad everything held up for you health wise so you could run Boston again.
avatar
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1061
Points : 3963
Join date : 2011-06-14
Age : 49
Location : Washington, DC

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Boston 2014

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum