365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chicken or egg?

2 posters

Go down

Chicken or egg? Empty Chicken or egg?

Post  nkrichards Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:29 pm

So this is a chicken and egg question...which came first?

Do I feel terrible because I haven't been able to run much?  OR Am I unable to run because I feel terrible?

Runs just have not gone well when I have managed to find the time to squeeze them in.  I feel slow and clunky while running and I'm stiff and sore afterwards.  I've been keeping my runs short (3 miles) and the pace very easy but they just don't feel right.  It's making it hard to motivate myself to get out there!

I've been able to run a couple times per week and I've also been swimming and doing my core/strength work a couple times each week.  I actually feel decent as far as my heart/lungs go.  It's the legs...and most of the rest of my body that complain during/after runs.

I will admit that I'm still spending a lot of time helping Mom with Dad's affairs and not sleeping as well as I'd like but it seems like more than that.  I'm eating pretty well so I don't think that's an issue.  My hamstring issues have also returned.  I have an appointment with a very highly recommended therapist for later this week.  The hamstring was worse when I ran my marathons so it doesn't seem like that should be a factor.

So...do I force myself out there and plod through the weekly runs that I should be doing this time of year or do I need to do something else first to make the runs come easier?
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Chicken or egg? Empty Re: Chicken or egg?

Post  Mark B Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:58 pm

Chicken? Egg? Sounds like a bit of both.

You're probaby carrying a high stress load, in addition to being a bit decondtioned.

What I've found when I get back to it after a hiatus is that starting with walking rather than running can help get my body back in the mood to move a little faster. Walking also puts less stress on the system, which isn't such a bad thing. One upside to walking for me is it eats up less time before and after for clothes changing, showering, etc., which actually lets me walk a little longer -- or fit it in a tight schedule.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down