365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Question about NYCM entry

5 posters

Go down

Question about NYCM entry Empty Question about NYCM entry

Post  Diego Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:24 pm

I was reading through the qualification standards for the NYCM. It appears that after this year, the race organizers only want New Yorkers and charity runners to enter the race. At least those runners are the only ones who are "guaranteed entry". 

If I ran a QT next year, I would be thrown into the "non-guaranteed" entry pot for 2015, after the other drawings. The "3 lottery misses and then you get guaranteed entry" also goes down the drain.

What's up with the changes?  And folks thought trying to qualify and enter the Boston Marathon was bad(sigh). 

The time-standard qualifying window is January 1, 2013−December 31, 2013. The total number of time-qualifier spots is to be determined. All runners who qualify in an NYRR race (2013 Manhattan Half-Marathon, NYC Half 2013, 2013 More Magazine/Fitness Magazine Women's Half Marathon, 2013 Brooklyn Half-Marathon, 2013 Grete's Great Gallop, 2013 Staten Island Half-Marathon) will be eligible for guaranteed entry. The remaining time-qualifier spots will be filled by a special drawing, and those not selected will be entered into the general non-guaranteed entry drawing. Those who meet the time standard in a non-NYRR race will be required to complete the non-guaranteed entry application and submit their time and the name of the race (results must be verifiable online).
The time qualifying standards are as follows (runners only); all times run must be at least as fast as the posted time:

I take this to mean that after making a qualifying time, NON- NYRR runners must go through the second lottery drawing, assuming the race still has openings. 

Last edited by Diego on Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Diego
Diego
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Question about NYCM entry Empty Re: Question about NYCM entry

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:12 am

The way I read it is that those of us who are NON-NYRR qualifiers are in our own "lottery" per se and if we don;t make that one, we are then thrown into the main lottery.  I still think I might chance it.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:45 am

It would appear to me that if you're near (or going to be near) NYC for one of the qualifying races and could have a qualifying time, to go that route to get the guaranteed entry.

You might also check to see how being a member of NYRR might enhance your chances.  I say that because for the Houston Marathon, if you're a member of HARRA (Houston Area Road Runners Association) and live in a 10 county area, HARRA gets 500 guaranteed entries for its members.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Gobbles Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:02 am

I understand that, with the standard change and the smaller window, they don't expect to turn away many qualifiers.
Gobbles
Gobbles
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:52 am

Gobbles wrote:I understand that, with the standard change and the smaller window, they don't expect to turn away many qualifiers.
That's my bet. I think the lottery is just to make the rule more complete in case 5000 qualifiers apply in one year.
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:05 pm

But if I'm wrong, I will be really pissed and won't try again. At this age, I can't afford to be told I am qualified, but no thanks.
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:30 pm

Jerry wrote:But if I'm wrong, I will be really pissed and won't try again. At this age, I can't afford to be told I am qualified, but no thanks.
That was my concern. I think I still have a 1:29 half marathon in me but don't know for how much longer. Life with kids is getting very busy.
Diego
Diego
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down