365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Clawing My Way Back

+26
healdgator
ounce
Michele "1L" Keane
jon c
Jim Lentz
Joel H
Alex Kubacki
Julie
Paula Sue
Tom H
Liz R
Seth Harrison
Mark B
John Kilpatrick
Natalie
Ken Mello
Peg Coover
Tea from RonItch
dot520
Matt W
Jerry
Kenny B.
Schuey
Mrs. Schuey
Dave-O
Michael Mitchell
30 posters

Page 8 of 40 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 24 ... 40  Next

Go down

Clawing My Way Back - Page 8 Empty Re: Clawing My Way Back

Post  Joel H Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:02 am

Michael Mitchell wrote:I think so. It is 1-800-ASK-Joel, right?

Um nope...I think you need to go back to school man! Razz
Joel H
Joel H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Clawing My Way Back - Page 8 Empty Sigh

Post  Michael Mitchell Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:04 pm

After a long phone call with a family member, I jettisoned the running until tonight. Then, the wife is coming home early, so it is an hour long bike ride with 20 minutes of Pilates tonight. Maybe 5 days off from running is good. I will run 5 miles tomorrow morning and 6-7 in the afternoon tomorrow.
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.letsrun.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Joel H Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:50 pm

Bummer about not running but at least you are getting in a workout
Joel H
Joel H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Clawing My Way Back - Page 8 Empty Sigh Part II

Post  Michael Mitchell Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:03 am

Never take anything for granted (Running). I did not bike either. My wife and I talked for 1.5 hours last night and time got away from me. I did do Pilates and that is a good thing. I did not have time to run this morning, so it has been pushed to today at 4 pm. The goals are simple. Run for one hour. I will start at a 9 minute pace and check my legs at 30 minutes. If they are doing ok, then slowly progress to 8:33 pace and finish out the 7 miles. I will do this each day until Thursday and then see if I can start at an 8:30 pace. The goal is still to get to 42 miles this week and 45 miles biking. I think I will be glad I gave myself 5 days off from running. Why? I ran almost continuously for 3 solid years and never gave my legs a break. This does remind me of an entry in the book, Bowerman and the Men Of Oregon by Kenny Moore. Bowerman instructed Moore to jog 3 miles and stop each day for a period of time. Moore, completely frustrated, did not understand why. This was Bowerman's way of having Moore recharge. Salazar does it to Rupp, Goucher et al. I just did not understand it until now.
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:16 am

Michael - seems like you are on to something good for yourself. Rest does the body good. We can all take lessons on resting!
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Clawing My Way Back - Page 8 Empty Here Is To Hoping

Post  Michael Mitchell Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:25 am

I hope so Kenny. I really hope so. I am so tired of Summer ( July 2011 looks to be the hottest ever, June 2011 was, May 2011 was 5 th hottest, April was third hottest...sigh), no vacation in 2 years ( I have one scheduled last week of July, but I am staying home, sigh), dissertation I want to go away (LOL) and just plain tired. We shall see of the recharge/reboot button.
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:32 am

Sounds like you need it. Here is good wishes to a full recharged Michael.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Joel H Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:58 am

Dude you need a vacation...I feel so much better after mine, especially mentally. Find that recharge button or you will burn out man.
Joel H
Joel H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Mitchell Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:06 am

Joel H wrote:Dude you need a vacation...I feel so much better after mine, especially mentally. Find that recharge button or you will burn out man.

I know. I know. I do know that I am sending my first three chapters to my committee...that is a plus...this Friday. I think things will get better....
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Liz R Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:19 am

Pilates? You are up to all kinds of new things.

Liz R
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Clawing My Way Back - Page 8 Empty Pilates

Post  Michael Mitchell Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:01 pm

Liz R wrote:Pilates? You are up to all kinds of new things.

Yeah, I have had the DVD for 5 years. I use it sparingly, but it does work. Smile
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Clawing My Way Back - Page 8 Empty Cautiously Optimistic.

Post  Michael Mitchell Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:05 pm

The first 25 minutes were at a 9:13 pace, then 8:57 pace until the 40 minute mark, From then on, it was 8:47 to 45 minutes and then 8:33 pace to the finish of 6 miles. Not bad. No tinging, no spasms, no nothing. I finished at 53:50 for 6 miles, but the important part is that the is light at the end. The plan tomorrow is 8:33 pace from 10-12 minutes onward to 6 miles. If I can do a whole 6-6.5 miles at 8:33 pace, then I believe an 8 minute pace for 7 miles can be had on Saturday. Again, we shall see. Pilates tonight for 20 minutes. Oh and my Asics Gel Equation 3's are trashed. The Gel Strike 2's will be used tomorrow. They started ( Equation's) started to ache my achilles somewhat fierce. I have 6 miles running and 15 miles biking.
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:22 pm

Michael Mitchell wrote:I am sending my first three chapters to my committee...that is a plus...this Friday. I think things will get better....

That is huge! Your life will get a LOT better soon.

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Joel H Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:45 am

8:xx pace...I see 7:xx by August! Nice going man.
Joel H
Joel H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Clawing My Way Back - Page 8 Empty That Is Plan

Post  Michael Mitchell Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:50 am

Joel H wrote:8:xx pace...I see 7:xx by August! Nice going man.

That is the plan. I am sure hoping for an 8 minute pace for 7 miles next week and 7:30 pace by my week of vacation. The plan is 7:00 pace by August 15. I might and I mean might run the Lake Houston 10K, but that will be a pre season run, as it were.
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:59 am

Nice running over there!
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Mitchell Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:04 am

Kenny B. wrote:Nice running over there!

Thank you Kenny. My upper soleus is a bit sore today, but that is to be expected. Again, I am thinking 9 minute pace for the first 10 minutes and go 8:33 pace or 8:27 pace until mile 6. I will do an inventory of every 10 minutes to check the knots. I am massaging today and using the stick. I will have ART done in the 6 pm hour. I will try (try) to bike 30-40 minutes tonight.
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Clawing My Way Back - Page 8 Empty Changing of the Shoes

Post  Michael Mitchell Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:13 pm

Yes, I am changing shoes today. I am going to go with the Gel Impression 2's. I have trashed my Gel Equation 3's so much, that I was landing on my left foot almost sideways, thereby really hurting my achilles. The last 10 minutes were just hurting, but I knew changing of the shoes was a need. Now, if I cannot get really comfortable in these shoes, I will change them to the Gel Strike 2's midstream. Again, 9 minute pace for the first 10 minutes and then 8:33/8:27 pace until 6 miles. I can say this. The back 7 treadmills do not have a governor on them. That means, I can run faster than a 7:30 pace. That will be interesting. We shall see today. The run will start at 4:05 pm.
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Clawing My Way Back - Page 8 Empty Climbing That Mountain

Post  Michael Mitchell Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:35 pm

Slowly coming back. I was happy with this. Tomorrow, I am thinking an 8 minute pace could be in the offing. If so, then I will go for 56 minutes...7 miles. So far so good. No tinging, no spasms. I will stretch, ART and massage tonight. I am also thinking biking for 30-40 minutes to stretch out the gastrocs. 50:30 for 6 miles. I will tell you I am a little rusty, but happy. It was a 8:27 pace for most of the run, with the last 5 minutes at an 8:20 pace. I have 12 miles this week.
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:18 pm

Glad to read the come back is coming along. I hear you about not taking running for granted, I have been there a few times. I got a little laugh out of your 1.5 hour talk with the wife. That has happen to me before and by time the talk is done I'm like were did the time go. Keep up the come back and before you know it you will be back to normal.
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Clawing My Way Back - Page 8 Empty Got To Used To Not Having Knots

Post  Michael Mitchell Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:21 pm

Schuey wrote:Glad to read the come back is coming along. I hear you about not taking running for granted, I have been there a few times. I got a little laugh out of your 1.5 hour talk with the wife. That has happen to me before and by time the talk is done I'm like were did the time go. Keep up the come back and before you know it you will be back to normal.

Yeah, I did. I got to used to it. I figured that with the new orthotics, I would not have this problem again. This is what I get for 1. Not stretching enough. 2. Not warming up ( at all). 3. Not using the Stick enough. 4. Missing ART for months at a time. LOL
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Clawing My Way Back - Page 8 Empty Relapse

Post  Michael Mitchell Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:21 pm

Sigh. Well, I guess I may have overdone it yesterday. Sigh. I have a spasm in the lower calf. Not all is lost for I am going to my DC in one hour. He might let me run today, but if he does, it will be at home. We shall see. He is usually a master at this, so an 8 minute pace may not be out afterall. I will check in later.
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Clawing My Way Back - Page 8 Empty Eureka?

Post  Michael Mitchell Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:59 pm

ART is done. My gastrocs are ok, but it looks like an hour bike ride tonight. Dr. Bush asked me a couple of questions:

1. Did you have this last year? No
2. What is different this year from last? Nothing I tell him. I am running more at the YMCA than home. It is hotter at home than YMCA, but more humid at the YMCA.
3. How about your fluid intake? I stumble on this one. Last year, I was taking in 20-25 oz of fluids before the run. This year, not even close.
4. Is it hotter this year than last? Last year the highs were not so high, but the nights were really warm. This year, the days are much hotter and the nights are ok.

Here is a lesson for you runners. MORE FLUIDS. MORE FLUIDS. The gastrocs and soleus are attributed to two things. First, my fluid intake has been horrible. I lose a ton of fluids at the YMCA. I really do. This year I have been horrible at it. Second, I need to massage and stretch more. He told me in no uncertain terms, go back to the 20-25 oz before the run. Do that Friday and Saturday. I bet you Monday when you see me, the knots will back to normal. I am drinking a Powerade tonight. LOL.
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Clawing My Way Back - Page 8 Empty Vacation Day

Post  Michael Mitchell Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:02 am

Taking one. Woo Hoo. I am going to bike for one hour this morning to shake out the tightness in my legs. I drank 20 oz of fluids last night and will take in 20-25 oz this afternoon. I am thinking of going conservative today, meaning I will start off at an 8:33 pace and see if I can work my way down to an 8 minute pace. I should be able to run 7 miles. My gastrocs feel a whole better. Maybe there is something to this "fluid" thing. LOL. By the way, the Houston area will have a good shot of drenching rains today and tomorrow. First time in a LONG time. The PWATS are way up there, so it will be humid upstairs. Again, I will keep drinking my fluids. I might even take some swigs during the run and after. That is another dumb thing I have done lately. I would not drink that much at all after my runs ( except at home). Well, I know not to do that.
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Clawing My Way Back - Page 8 Empty Still Climbing

Post  Michael Mitchell Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:58 pm

We are coming back. After missing yesterday, we are coming back. The first 30 minutes were at a 8:27 pace, then by mile 5, 8:20, then with 7 minutes left, 8 minute pace. I could have gone faster, but I want 56 minutes for 7 miles first, then I will start getting faster. All in all, happy. Now going to bike for 30 minutes to loosen up. I ran a 49:45 for 6 miles, an 8:18 pace. I will see how far I can take an 8 minute pace tomorrow. If I can do it for 3/4 of the way, then I will go for the full 7 miles. I have 18 miles for the week.
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 40 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 24 ... 40  Next